academy first year intake

jb8521

Reds' first-year intake

United have confirmed nine first-year Academy scholars ahead of next season, including James Wilson and Nicholas Ioannou.

The 16-year-old duo performed admirably during last season's FA Youth Cup run and will look to make further progress under coach Paul McGuinness.

Andreas Pereira appeared for the Under-18 side last term after arriving from PSV Eindhoven while Joshua Harrop and Ashley Fletcher also made fleeting appearances, with the latter even getting on the bench for the Reserves' Lancashire Senior Cup clash with Blackpool.

Defenders Ben Barber and Ryan McConnell are also part of the intake, along with midfielders Callum Evans and Matthew Willock, while Kieran O'Hara will compete for a place between the sticks after signing as an Under-17 Academy student.

http://www.manutd.com/en/Players-An...ed-first-year-academy-intake-of-scholars.aspx

Willock is a new name to me

The Wizard

Reds' first-year intake

United have confirmed nine first-year Academy scholars ahead of next season, including James Wilson and Nicholas Ioannou.

The 16-year-old duo performed admirably during last season's FA Youth Cup run and will look to make further progress under coach Paul McGuinness.

Andreas Pereira appeared for the Under-18 side last term after arriving from PSV Eindhoven while Joshua Harrop and Ashley Fletcher also made fleeting appearances, with the latter even getting on the bench for the Reserves' Lancashire Senior Cup clash with Blackpool.

Defenders Ben Barber and Ryan McConnell are also part of the intake, along with midfielders Callum Evans and Matthew Willock, while Kieran O'Hara will compete for a place between the sticks after signing as an Under-17 Academy student.

http://www.manutd.com/en/Players-An...ed-first-year-academy-intake-of-scholars.aspx

Willock is a new name to me
Willock is new to me also.

No sign of Baba Noah on this list either... wasn't he supposed to be signing for us this year? Or did he have to wait 'til his 16th borthday?

The Wizard

Looks as though Matthew Willock was released by Arsenal around May last year, and was then playing with Reading. Don't know how or when he came to be taken up by our Academy.

mo0

First-year Scholars
  1. Ben Barber - Defender *
  2. Callum Evans - Midfielder *
  3. Ashley Fletcher - Forward *
  4. Joshua Harrop - Midfielder *
  5. Andreas Pereira - Midfielder
  6. Nicholas Ioannou - Defender *
  7. Ryan McConnell - Defender
  8. Matthew Willock - Midfielder *
  9. James Wilson - Forward *

U17 Academy Student:
Kieran O'Hara

--------------

wonder if we'll take any further notice of Jake Cooper from Reading who trialed with us and came to that tournament (in BR i think).

7/9 are English (or England eligible in the case of Ioannou).

lysglimt

Scout
Looks as though Matthew Willock was released by Arsenal around May last year, and was then playing with Reading. Don't know how or when he came to be taken up by our Academy.
You are correct - he is born 96 and was released from Arsenal and snapped up by Reading. A Winger apparently - and he has 2 younger brothers at Arsenal - Joe and Chris

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
First-year Scholars
  1. Ben Barber - Defender *
  2. Callum Evans - Midfielder *
  3. Ashley Fletcher - Forward *
  4. Joshua Harrop - Midfielder *
  5. Andreas Pereira - Midfielder
  6. Nicholas Ioannou - Defender *
  7. Ryan McConnell - Defender
  8. Matthew Willock - Midfielder *
  9. James Wilson - Forward *

U17 Academy Student:
Kieran O'Hara

--------------

wonder if we'll take any further notice of Jake Cooper from Reading who trialed with us and came to that tournament (in BR i think).

7/9 are English (or England eligible in the case of Ioannou).
Aside from Pereira who should we be looking out for and why?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Any tiny technical pass masters? The next Larnell Cole's :drool:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Josh Harrop is supposed to be very highly rated, right?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Willock is new to me also.

No sign of Baba Noah on this list either... wasn't he supposed to be signing for us this year? Or did he have to wait 'til his 16th borthday?
No mention of Yussif Adam, Sean Goss etc also.

x42bn6

Pretty cool that some of the names that popped on the team sheet last season are only being confirmed as first-year scholars this year. It just shows how young our squad was last year and puts into context what might have looked like disappointing results.

The Wizard

No mention of Yussif Adam, Sean Goss etc also.
According to Yussif Adam's Twitter account he's going to be 'playing for the U18's for the start of this season'. So I guess he's definitely joined us.

Still haven't heard anything about Sean Goss... doubt we signed him.

PS18

According to Yussif Adam's Twitter account he's going to be 'playing for the U18's for the start of this season'. So I guess he's definitely joined us.

Still haven't heard anything about Sean Goss... doubt we signed him.
I would say exactly the opposite on both cases - Goss' signing has been confirmed by other lads in the academy (Ash Fletcher for one) so seems legit, whereas the club have denied even knowing of Yussif Adam. Just putting that you're going to be playing for the U18s in your twitter bio doesn't confirm anything, I could go do that now...

The Wizard

I would say exactly the opposite on both cases - Goss' signing has been confirmed by other lads in the academy (Ash Fletcher for one) so seems legit, whereas the club have denied even knowing of Yussif Adam. Just putting that you're going to be playing for the U18s in your twitter bio doesn't confirm anything, I could go do that now...
Yes you could, but as there was talk that he had signed for United coupled with the twitter stuff I took it as true.

Didn't know about the Goss info, any idea of his age? 15?

PS18

16 as far as I know although haven't seen a confirmed d.o.b yet.

The Wizard

Sean Goss has NOW been confirmed at least. £100.000 + add ons apparently

http://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10436~2832403,00.html
Yep seen that this morning. PS18 was spot on.

Another link: http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/story-16481803-detail/story.html

Seems to be a goalscoring midfielder. Scored 13 times for Exeter's U16 last season from CM. Will be interesting to see him play for the U18's now. Quite a few prospects I'm really looking forward to see play this season. :)

lysglimt

Scout
Yep seen that this morning. PS18 was spot on.

Another link: http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/story-16481803-detail/story.html

Seems to be a goalscoring midfielder. Scored 13 times for Exeter's U16 last season from CM. Will be interesting to see him play for the U18's now. Quite a few prospects I'm really looking forward to see play this season. :)
He didn't impress me that much in Holland - but I now realize that he must have been quite a bit younger than some of the other players in the team

The Wizard

Has anyone seen James Wilson yet?
Yeah he was playing for the U16's last season, but he got a few games for the U18's towards the back end of the season and played in the FAYC, and even played some minutes for the reserves if I remember correctly.

He's very highly rated at United. He's an out and out striker, can play left wing too as he's left footed, great finisher. He is still a little bit slight, but thats to be expected for his age. Definitely one to watch out for.

lysglimt

Scout
Yeah he was playing for the U16's last season, but he got a few games for the U18's towards the back end of the season and played in the FAYC, and even played some minutes for the reserves if I remember correctly.

He's very highly rated at United. He's an out and out striker, can play left wing too as he's left footed, great finisher. He is still a little bit slight, but thats to be expected for his age. Definitely one to watch out for.
Probably a player who will be very good at attacking the space behind the defense...quick and seems to time his runs well

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
I've heard very good things about Wilson.

Definitely one to look out for.