Academy Squad 2010/2011

datura

Am I missing anyone/wrongly included a player?

It's a pretty large squad, although perhaps lacking any natural wide players with Brady and Ajose moving up to the reserves.

Goalkeepers:
Sam Johnstone
Liam Jacob
Joe Coll

Defenders:
Michele Fornasier
Sean McGinty
Tom Thorpe
Luke McCullough
Alberto Massacci
Zeki Fryers
Tyler Blackett
Michael Keane
Luke Giverin

Midfielders:
Ravel Morrison
Ryan Tunnicliffe
Larnell Cole
Etzaz Hussain
Paul Pogba
Jesse Lingard
Luke Hendrie

Forwards:
John Cofie
Will Keane
Charni Ekangamene
Tom Lawrence

oskarutd

I think Mike Keane can be classed as a midfielder just as well and Lingard as a striker, but nothing wrong with your classification.

datura

I think Mike Keane can be classed as a midfielder just as well and Lingard as a striker, but nothing wrong with your classification.
Keane played as a right back in the Milk Cup and in his reserve appearances at the end of the season so that was what I was basing it on.

You're right with Lingard, same with Morrison too really.

Joga_Bonito

He’ll play upon, Your naturalistic intuitions…
If that's very similar to the actual squad, it would be nice to see us alternate the formation a little more than is usual for the U18's and use a 4-3-3 more often, and perhaps even 4-3-1-2 or 4-2-3-1.

Those formations are more suited to a squad with little genuine width — apart from the fullbacks, that is — and it would also allow a number of the players to experience slightly different roles. As we saw with England, 4-4-2 can be a stale and stagnating formation unless the players are allowed a lot of freedom within the basic structure to roam and alternate positions.

Having said that, I wonder whether there is a policy on formations in the U18's, because there does appear to be a much more flexible attitude in the reserves, where Ole tends to base the formation and tactics on the players that he has available. It might have been decided, for example, that it is better to focus solely on technical development right through to the reserve team, as happens in many other countries, at which point it is time to develop the players tactical intelligence.

In Italy, as far as I am aware, the tactical side of the game is impressed on young players from the very beginning, whereas in Brazil, as we have seen with Rafael, to some extent, technical development is the sole focus until a player reaches the first team. And that even includes defending, which can be learned as a player matures.

It would be interesting to hear the managers thoughts on this, because some clubs insist on using the same formation throughout all levels of the club (Barcelona), whereas others allow the players to experience as many different formations and even positions, as possible.

lysglimt

Scout
Am I missing anyone/wrongly included a player?

It's a pretty large squad, although perhaps lacking any natural wide players with Brady and Ajose moving up to the reserves.

Goalkeepers:
Sam Johnstone
Liam Jacob
Joe Coll

Defenders:
Michele Fornasier
Sean McGinty
Tom Thorpe
Luke McCullough
Alberto Massacci
Zeki Fryers
Tyler Blackett
Michael Keane
Luke Giverin

Midfielders:
Ravel Morrison
Ryan Tunnicliffe
Larnell Cole
Etzaz Hussain
Paul Pogba
Jesse Lingard
Luke Hendrie

Forwards:
John Cofie
Will Keane
Charni Ekangamene
Tom Lawrence

Think this is as accurate as it gets (including Fryers) - but I am also fairly convinced that 4-5 of these will be reserve-players for the majority of the season: Will Keane, Paul Pogba, Ryan Tunnicliffe and possibly also Sam Johnstone

PS18

Nope, he's the same age group as the other six listed there. Probably seems younger due to his injuries!

All seven could play for the U18s if needed as over-age players, but it's unlikely in most cases with us having a pretty big U18 squad.

PS18

If that's very similar to the actual squad, it would be nice to see us alternate the formation a little more than is usual for the U18's and use a 4-3-3 more often, and perhaps even 4-3-1-2 or 4-2-3-1.

Those formations are more suited to a squad with little genuine width — apart from the fullbacks, that is — and it would also allow a number of the players to experience slightly different roles. As we saw with England, 4-4-2 can be a stale and stagnating formation unless the players are allowed a lot of freedom within the basic structure to roam and alternate positions.

Having said that, I wonder whether there is a policy on formations in the U18's, because there does appear to be a much more flexible attitude in the reserves, where Ole tends to base the formation and tactics on the players that he has available. It might have been decided, for example, that it is better to focus solely on technical development right through to the reserve team, as happens in many other countries, at which point it is time to develop the players tactical intelligence.

In Italy, as far as I am aware, the tactical side of the game is impressed on young players from the very beginning, whereas in Brazil, as we have seen with Rafael, to some extent, technical development is the sole focus until a player reaches the first team. And that even includes defending, which can be learned as a player matures.

It would be interesting to hear the managers thoughts on this, because some clubs insist on using the same formation throughout all levels of the club (Barcelona), whereas others allow the players to experience as many different formations and even positions, as possible.
It's not like we solely used 442 last season - we played 451 or 433 fairly often. Even when playing 442, it was typically 4411 (as with the first team) and we tried a number of different combinations and systems in midfield.

PS18

I wonder if we might see something like that (in the Youth Cup anyway, as others have said I'd imagine the likes of Keane and Pogba will be heavily involved with the reserves). Morrison essentially with a free role, able to roam with the other three shifting across to form a three across the middle and basically a 4312 (or 43111).

We really do have incredible depth at centre-back and centre midfield for an U18 squad, in total contrast to the wings.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
So, does that make the Reserves Squad something along the lines of:

Keepers
----------
Devlin

Defenders
----------
Chester?
Gray?
C.Evans
Dudgeon
Gill
Wootton
Vermijl
R.Brown
Cathcart

Midfielders
----------
Stewart
Norwood
Petrucci
Possebon
Drinkwater
James (on loan)
Eikrem

Attackers
---------
Ajose
Brady
King

I guess the likes of Amos, De Laet, Fabio, Obertan, Cleverley, Macheda might feature, as well as various of the academy squad.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
It's been a shortcoming in recent years, bringing wingers through. We've had great players all through the middle of the team right back to the David Jones, Rossi et al crop, but barely any wingers in that time.

EDIT: sinch, I'd be surprised if Amos doesn't still get plenty of time for the reserves.

sincher

Yeah agree - just trying to put each player into one squad only. The Ressies will clearly feature first teamers and academy players.

Looking at the strikers, I'd expect to see Welbeck/Macheda/Obertan (if not on loan) and Will Keane get playing time in the reserves.

GCHQ

Glazer Crevice Headquarters
Sir Alex Ferguson, Ben Foster, Hayley McQueen.....
So, does that make the Reserves Squad something along the lines of:

Keepers
----------
Devlin

Defenders
----------
Chester?
Gray?
C.Evans
Dudgeon
Gill
Wootton
Vermijl
R.Brown
Cathcart

Midfielders
----------
Stewart
Norwood
Petrucci
Possebon
Drinkwater
James (on loan)
Eikrem

Attackers
---------
Ajose
Brady
King

I guess the likes of Amos, De Laet, Fabio, Obertan, Cleverley, Macheda might feature, as well as various of the academy squad.
Yup, as it stands the list you have named above is next season's core Reserves squad. Like you say, there will often be up to 4-5 players stepping down from the fringes of the first team squad and a similar number stepping up from the second year academy group.

I think 6-8 players in the above list won't be at the club by the end of the transfer window.

Gray and Possebon might well leave permanently. Chester, Cathcart, Evans and Drinkwater out on loan or perhaps a permanent move for Chester/Cathcart? Dudgeon/Norwood might be due for a spell out on loan too.

sincher

Gray will surely leave. Can't see him being kept on now.

MalteseRedDevil

Brady and King can play another year in the under 18s, but I agree that they wil probably play more often for the reserves

oskarutd

They are too old, but the u-18s can use three overage players each game.

mehro

Ass face
How old are Pogba, Morrison and Keane? I've read so much about them here that I'm surprised they're still at the academy level.

Fitzjames

I notice question marks at Chester & Gray. have they gone?
Scott Moffatt???
I think Corry Evans, Cathcart, Gill, Diouf and Possebon again will be loaned out.
Maybe even Macheda and certainly Welbeck.
Wigan, Blackpool and Stoke could do worse.

mehro

Ass face
Yup, as it stands the list you have named above is next season's core Reserves squad. Like you say, there will often be up to 4-5 players stepping down from the fringes of the first team squad and a similar number stepping up from the second year academy group.

I think 6-8 players in the above list won't be at the club by the end of the transfer window.

Gray and Possebon might well leave permanently. Chester, Cathcart, Evans and Drinkwater out on loan or perhaps a permanent move for Chester/Cathcart? Dudgeon/Norwood might be due for a spell out on loan too.
Cathcart out? I thought he was the good stuff? Remember reading good stuff about him.

Any chance players like Drinkwater and Eikrem might get FA cup game?

datura

How old are Pogba, Morrison and Keane? I've read so much about them here that I'm surprised they're still at the academy level.
All three are 17. This will be Morrison's 3rd year at Academy level. Hopefully he will continue his end of season form and force himself into reserve contention this year.

lysglimt

Scout
Chester and Gray are still with us. Moffatt has been released.
I read an interview with David Gray a few months back where he practically said he was going to leave United despite being offered a new contract simply because the competition was too hard

PS18

I read an interview with David Gray a few months back where he practically said he was going to leave United despite being offered a new contract simply because the competition was too hard
Contract conundrum for Gray United Youth

I'd still expect him to move on as well, but seeing as we've offered a deal, his departure presumably won't be made public until he finds another club and we get compensation/there's a tribunal.

sincher

I only put question marks over Chester and Gray as I could still see them leaving the club come the start of the season - purely a guess though.

Obviously, there'll be others out on loan as usual.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
My expectation is that Chester will go on loan as will Cathcart.

The other players being discussed all seem about right.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Jack Barmby feature quite regularly for the U/18's this season.

As far as wingers go....We had Jamie Mullen and Sean Evans a couple of seasons back who on their day were decent as well as Michael Barnes.

We do look short out wide as people have mentioned which is why you would expect to see the likes of King, Stewart and Brady play out wide for the Reserves and Barmby step up from the 16's.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
If we offer Gray a contract he'd only be played in the CL and Carling Cup - I can't see him being included in our 25 man PL squad.
Might as well offer him one though, considering Fletch pays his wages.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Think they're round 17 (give or take) but the talent pool is VERY good at the club. I could list a number of players with promise and that's one of the reasons why they're at that level as we don't have to rush anything.

You could put them in reserves, infact Keane and Pogba have played a few reserve games (not sure about Morrison).