Academy v Charlton, FA Youth Cup QF

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
This team's mental strength is incredible. Not many gave them too much a chance when they started.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Really hope the Charlton lad is OK. Ugly tackle and looked bad the way the staff reacted.
Yeah, very unnecessary from Blackett. Good game, nice finish from Wilson on what I believe is his weaker foot to win it.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
United certainly got the rub of the green in the last few minutes. Could very, very easily have gone either way in the last few minutes. Think we were on the right side of a few refereeing decisions too, and could understand if Charlton were unhappy with the result.

DocRockter

WOW what a game..!! Good thing we had that one sub left ´cause everyone were almost done during the extra-time..

Last year the semis were great games, hopefully the team can go past Chelsea this year as well

IanDangerously

Really enjoyable game tonight, for just £3 admission it's possibly the best value for money you'll get this season. :D

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Absolutely chuffed to bits with the lads, I thought they'd need a year to develop physically but they've surpassed my expectations with this run, a credit to the shirt.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
United certainly got the rub of the green in the last few minutes. Could very, very easily have gone either way in the last few minutes. Think we were on the right side of a few refereeing decisions too, and could understand if Charlton were unhappy with the result.
Eh? It was United who were denied the blatant penalty in the closing minutes, not Charlton. Don't remember Charlton getting a decision that significant going against them.

As for Charlton being unhappy, they may well be. They were a threat on the break. It was United that dominated possession and territory throughout the last half hour or so, though. Deserved winners.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Good show by the youngsters, although I think we're going to get stuffed by Chelsea unlike last year

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
Eh? It was United who were denied the blatant penalty in the closing minutes, not Charlton. Don't remember Charlton getting a decision that significant going against them.

As for Charlton being unhappy, they may well be. They were a threat on the break. It was United that dominated possession and territory throughout the last half hour or so, though. Deserved winners.
And yet, most of the best chances at the end fell to Charlton.

Drainy

I thought Charlton only looked dangerous because their striker was as tall as our centrebacks giving each other a piggyback..

we were definitely the better footballing side and deserved the win.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
And yet, most of the best chances at the end fell to Charlton.
Shit happens. They were decent on the break and their big strikers were a handful. They were still out-played for long stretches.

To be fair, I think the United players were fitter. Which made a big difference as the game wore on. Tyler Blackett has a hell of an engine on him.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Just watching the recording of the game - what an opening goal from Barmby :eek:

RedPhil1957

Huge improvement in these lads since early season. I will hold my hand up I was very wrong, they are a very talented bunch with determination to match. There were 2 or 3 of what was considered our better players missing as well.
Daehli is top notch in this age group and what a game the very inexperienced Iannou had. Like the look of the keeper as well

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Daehli and Barmby look proper players. Great awareness, ability and perhaps most importantly confidence to keep the ball. Expect big things from both.

There's definitely part of me that enjoys youth/ reserve football more than the prem these days.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Last night impressed me for a number of reasons.

Good few Charlton lads there n all, which was nice to see.

Barmby looked very good, was impressed with Van Velzen. Looked a clever player.

Mats Daelli looks a very very good player. Massively impressed with him for a number of reasons last night. He was composed on the ball, always seems to find a pocket of space, doesn't waste the ball very often and looks to be very creative. I really like the look of him.

Sutherland made two very classy saves to keep it at 2-2. Both were outstanding.

lysglimt

Scout
To me - I think the lads have outdone themselves in order to get this far - last year we probably had the best side in the country. I don't think anyone can argue that we do this year - one of the most talented for sure, but there are obvious flaws in this side which we didn't have last year.

But if we don't go all the way this year - we certainly could next year.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
To me - I think the lads have outdone themselves in order to get this far - last year we probably had the best side in the country. I don't think anyone can argue that we do this year - one of the most talented for sure, but there are obvious flaws in this side which we didn't have last year.

But if we don't go all the way this year - we certainly could next year.
I wonder if Chelsea might just be a bridge too far..but having said that they certianly know how to pop the ball around.

They are a young group and, as you say, will be more developed next year.

PS18

Lawrence is back in training so quite possible. Don't think anyone knows what's actually up with Januzaj so hard to say, and doubt the other two will be back.

lysglimt

Scout
Lawrence, Januzaj, probably Love and Rothwell too.
Possible even Joe Coll - but Love and Rothwell aren't a lot better than what he had last night - so imo Lawrence and Januzaj were the 2 big losses. And I was surprised to see Ekangamene starting on the bench, anyone know if he carried a knock or something ?

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Possible even Joe Coll - but Love and Rothwell aren't a lot better than what he had last night - so imo Lawrence and Januzaj were the 2 big losses. And I was surprised to see Ekangamene starting on the bench, anyone know if he carried a knock or something ?
Rothwell certainly would of started last night and in all the rounds had he been fit. He's a better player than both a Rudge and Hendrie IMO and one of the biggest talents in the team.

He is deadly at shooting from outside the box, and his touch, technique, awareness and passing are fantastic for his age (only just turned 17) and the best football we have played this season came when he was in the middle dictating things right up to the game when he got his injury. Him and Daehli were a joy to watch earlier in the season when they played together.

He is also a regular for England, as is Ben Pearson who has also been injured for a while and is a similar player to Rothwell but very small.

Another player who would have played a part is James Weir who has been fantastic at RB in previous rounds and hopefully he can return in time for the semi's.

PS18

Joe Coll's fit, has played for the U16s the last two weeks.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I think they said ekangamene picked up a knock in the previous game. I think i heard that in commentary

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Yeah, he came off in the second half against Wolves with a knock. I agree with those who say Rothwell would make us stronger in midfield.

PS, do you know what's wrong with Pearson?