Academy v Crewe

umair

Is Pogba too good for academy football? maybe reserves will do for him

datura

Good save from their keeper from a Keane header, best chance we've created for a while. It will be an interesting finish if we can get one back soon.

Edit. Another great save from a Fryers header.

twitter thread suggester
I'm such a muppet, I can't help getting excited about a 16 year old kid who has only played one match - a match I haven't even seen.

Move him up to the reserves so I can get a glimpse of him as well, Ole.

jb8521

Looks like Brady and Cofie will be involved in the reserves match against Oldham on Monday

Decotron

Nice to see the wankfest has started about Pogba......

Crewe are a great club academy wise, always have been. Play football the right way, unlike Everton last week.

Sometimes you learn more in defeat especially in this age group.

datura

Nice to see the wankfest has started about Pogba......

Crewe are a great club academy wise, always have been. Play football the right way, unlike Everton last week.

Sometimes you learn more in defeat especially in this age group.
It's hard to temper excitement when you see a debut as complete as this though against a decent side.

Crewe have played well, been a little niggly, and taken their chances. 2-0 doesn't really reflect the balance of the game but we haven't been very free scoring this year and teams have defended very well against us.

Edit: Keane grabs one after a goalmouth scramble.

twitter thread suggester
Sounds great jb, what would we do without you Youth Team folks keeping us updated.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Is Pogba too good for academy football? maybe reserves will do for him
No way. The crewe side aren't the biggest and it wasn't that much of a challenge for him. There will be tougher sides for him later in the season

twitter thread suggester
Minute by Minute update from Nick from Gresty Road on Twitter:
Code:
[COLOR="DimGray"][b]4 minutes ago[/b]	Just a bizarre game, dominant but defeated. A second straight loss, but lots of positives. Not all about results at this level.[/COLOR]
[b]6 minutes ago[/b]	Morrison so nearly gets an equaliser at the end, Crewe's keeper just too good today, as he regularly is against us. Full-time, 1-2.
[COLOR="DimGray"][b]9 minutes ago	[/b]Consolation at least for United, Keane gets his first of the season from close range. Can't be very long left though.[/COLOR]
[b]16 minutes ago	[/b]Doesn't look like Cofie or Brady are getting on today, about five mins to go and no sign of them.
[COLOR="DimGray"][b]20 minutes ago	[/b]Another great save, from Fryers now. Meanwhile Lloyd-Weston at the other end has had nothing to do bar pick the ball out of the net twice![/COLOR]
[b]21 minutes ago	[/b]Keane forces a great save from the Crewe keeper. United at least deserve a goal.
[COLOR="DimGray"][b]30 minutes ago	[/b]Pogba so unlucky, hits the bar with a terrific freekick. Keane just couldn't scramble home the rebound. One of those days?[/COLOR]
[b]34 minutes ago	[/b]Crazy game, United so dominant but now it's 2-0 Crewe. Great goal in fairness, overhead kick from the #9.
[COLOR="DimGray"][b]37 minutes ago	[/b]The ball just isn't breaking for United in the box. There is a change, Larnell Cole on for Lingard.[/COLOR]
[b]42 minutes ago	[/b]Crewe's big number nine misses practically an open goal on the counter, big let-off. United really need Cofie on.
[COLOR="DimGray"][b]1 hour ago	[/b]Pogba goes close to an immediate reply with United's best chance so far.[/COLOR]
[b]1 hour ago	[/b]After all United's early dominance, its Crewe who take the lead just after halftime, their striker flicking home a v.good cross at nr post.
[COLOR="DimGray"][b]1 hour ago	[/b]John Cofie and Robbie Brady the attacking options on the bench, would expect to see Cofie on quite soon.[/COLOR]
[b]1 hour ago	[/b]It's 0-0 at half-time. United playing well but the lack of an out and out striker is telling.
[COLOR="DimGray"][b]1 hour ago	[/b]Crewe coming into the game more now, they've gone close a couple of times now.[/COLOR]
[b]1 hour ago	[/b]United playing some great football but just lacking a bit of a cutting edge at the moment.
[COLOR="DimGray"][b]2 hours ago	[/b]Young Pogba has started very impressively, as have the team as a whole.[/COLOR]
[b]2 hours ago	[/b]Team: Lloyd-Weston, Thorpe, Fryers, Fornasier McGinty, Pogba, Lingard, Tunnicliffe, Keane, Morrison, Ajose.
[COLOR="DimGray"][b]2 hours ago	[/b]United under-18s take on Crewe this morning, updates from gresty road to follow.[/COLOR]

Striker10

Well we didn't deserve to lose 2-0 but I felt by and large their crossing was more incisive. They played a lot of low fast passed crosses which we were never really comfortable with at the back.

For all our possession, we floated a lot of crosses in but without the pace on the ball we found it hard to create anything before ajose's cross for keane who's header was saved

Their goalkeeper did well, but too many of our efforts were central of goal and I'm not sure what happened for our goal. Morrisons effort was unfortunate to be blocked on the line, mcginty over head kick and keane from 3 yards out couldn't miss

Pogba was very unlucky with the freekick and didn't deserve to play on the losing side. I think him and tunnicliffe could develop into a really good midfield duo

Incidently their two goals were from good player, their second being a wondergoal. Nothing pretty about the build up, but the finish was perfect.

Striker10

Well I've got good news for you there!

And I'm really happy with Pogba's debut, couldn't have hoped for much more.
yeah I know it was 2-1..Was just testing you lot..honest :nervous:

But yeah pogbas debut was a highlight. I just wish that freekick had of went in. With 20 minutes to go, it'd have come at a great time for us

horselesspaul

Man Utd fan
It's Manchester United, United or Man United.
Pogba looks impressive. Good skill, composure and strength. Passes well and easily, gets forward. Fantastic free kick, unlucky to hit the bar and bounce so far back.
He's the new/black/white/red Pogba.
Morrison's been watching "frustrated random shot" Rooney a little too much judging by how he started to play when they went two down.

twitter thread suggester
Cheers jb, some very neat dribbling and a cracking free kick.

datura

:lol: Sorry, if i halted your inner muppet.

He did look pretty neat for someone so young, the next Viera. :angel:
For a young player's first game in a foreign country it was a very impressive debut and he showed a lot of promise and was arguably the best player on the pitch. No one is getting carried away, but there's nothing wrong with being excited about seeing how he progresses.