Academy v Huddersfield (A)

lysglimt

Scout
Line-up

Coll, M.Keane, McGinty, Fornasier, Thorpe, Cole, Lingard, Morrison, Lawrence, W.Keane, Cofie.
Before the start of the season I thought we looked a bit lightweight on the wings - but esp Lawrence has impressed me. Lingard is talented - but he really has to work on his composure in front of goal. He is still to score a goal at this level I think ?

datura

Before the start of the season I thought we looked a bit lightweight on the wings - but esp Lawrence has impressed me. Lingard is talented - but he really has to work on his composure in front of goal. He is still to score a goal at this level I think ?
Lingard scored on his debut when we played a young team against Blackburn a couple of seasons back, took it very nicely if I remember correctly.

I agree re Lawrence, he looks a good footballer, and also you have Van Velzen to come in too when he gets clearance.

lysglimt

Scout
Lingard scored on his debut when we played a young team against Blackburn a couple of seasons back, took it very nicely if I remember correctly.

I agree re Lawrence, he looks a good footballer, and also you have Van Velzen to come in too when he gets clearance.
You might be right about Lingard - that was at the end of the 08/09 season wasn't it ? But Í am pretty certain he didn't score last season - and some of hiss misses this season have been...strange :)

prateik

where is hussain ?
and i havent heard of lawrence before .. how old is he

lysglimt

Scout
where is hussain ?
and i havent heard of lawrence before .. how old is he
Lawrence is born in 94 - welsh U-16 international

Hussain might have been involved in an international match - not sure

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
MUTV really letting me down with TV coverage over the last week.

WeasteDevil

Source: U18 slo Huddersfield / Nyheter / Nyheter / MUSCSB - united.no

The Juniors won 3-0 after goals from Cofie, Cole and Thorpe.

Jesse Lindgard and his teammates on the U18-team won 3-0 away to Huddersfield, This victory means that the team got nine points after three leaguegames.

United got a good start to the match and it only took 14 minutes before John Cofie scored 1-0. United should've scored more goals during the first half, but was ineffective in front of the goal and the score stayed 1-0 until halftime. Ravel Morrison came close with a shot to the crossbar after 25 minutes.
United controlled the second half, but it seemed to struggle to kill off the game, which could've been costly. Huddersfield created some chances and only a good save from Joseph Coll and a ruled out goal made sure Huddersfield did not equalize.

After 83 minutes, the United-juniors finally tipped the game in their favour when Larnell Cole hit a right-sided strike which ended in the back of the net. The night was rounded off by captain-of-the-night Tom Thorpe in stoppage time with an open goal header after a great run and cross by Ravel Morrison.

The juniors have now beaten Cardiff, Chelsea and Huddersfield after 3 games in the league. Their next task will be against Middlesbrough on September 11th.

PS18

MUTV really letting me down with TV coverage over the last week.
Just coincidence that there's been a couple of games in the same week where they couldn't broadcast live from the relevant venue. Was no live coverage from Huddersfield last year either (or might have been the year before, not sure).

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
1. Coll
2. M. Keane
3. McGinty
4. Fornasier
5. Thorpe (c)
6. Cole
7. Lingard
8. Morrison
9. Cofie
10. W. Keane
11. Lawrence

Subs: Giverin, Jacob, Ekangamene

I don't know their numbers but none were used.

1-0 Cofie on 14 mins
2-0 Cole on 83 mins
3-0 Thorpe on 92 mins

Jack Barmby scored hat-trick for U/16's as they won 3-1.

lysglimt

Scout
If it wasn't for their keeper and some poor finishing it would have been double figures.
For those of you with a special interest - this is what the table looks like after this weekends matches

1. United 9 points 11-2 gd (3 matches played)
2. Bolton 9 points 10-2 gd (3 matches played)
3. City 6 points 7-3 gd (2 matches played)
4. WBA 6 points 9-9 gd (3 matches played)

Liverpool, Wolves and Everton all 5 points

Leading scorers:
Kempton (Wolves) - 4, Bunn (City) - 4
5 players with 3 goals including John Cofie and Denis Irwin's son - Liam!

datura

It's interesting to see Bolton up there, they've been the whipping boys in previous seasons (although were much improved last year). Liam Irwin looks quite a classy player on the few occasions I've seen him, plays centre mid and strikes a nice free kick.

Annoyingly, it looks like the match v Boro on Saturday is not going to be shown live (or the Stockport Mcr Snr Cup on Thurs night).

prateik

liam .... wasnt liam mcclair in the academy
any idea where he is now ?

lysglimt

Scout
It's interesting to see Bolton up there, they've been the whipping boys in previous seasons (although were much improved last year). Liam Irwin looks quite a classy player on the few occasions I've seen him, plays centre mid and strikes a nice free kick.

Annoyingly, it looks like the match v Boro on Saturday is not going to be shown live (or the Stockport Mcr Snr Cup on Thurs night).
I am sure Bolton are greatly improved - but it should be added that their opening 3 matches haven't looked scary to put it that way.

Mk Dons (a), Southampton (h), Leeds (a)

SecondFig

Watching the highlights of the Huddersfield game, Morrison looked good. I know he's been described before as a "highlights" player, i.e. that he tends to fade from the game, doesn't track back etc., so could anyone who saw the whole game say how he actually played overall?

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
Watching the highlights of the Huddersfield game, Morrison looked good. I know he's been described before as a "highlights" player, i.e. that he tends to fade from the game, doesn't track back etc., so could anyone who saw the whole game say how he actually played overall?
to be fair to him, i think his game has changed a lot over the last 6 months or so (from the backend of last season). He was the type of player you mention, but since he came back from his injury last season he has been getting played as a more traditional CM and, imo, he has shown great maturity and discipline in that role.

lysglimt

Scout
to be fair to him, i think his game has changed a lot over the last 6 months or so (from the backend of last season). He was the type of player you mention, but since he came back from his injury last season he has been getting played as a more traditional CM and, imo, he has shown great maturity and discipline in that role.
He seems to have taken the same route Ronaldo did - from beating people 3 times for the sake of it - to being efficient instead and showboating when you are 3 goals up.