Academy v Portsmouth

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
From 10.45am on MUTV, the stream is set as my homepage. Just click on my name and choose 'visit Maciek's homepage'.

As I can see on Twitter, this is our line-up:

Jacob, Hendrie, Blackett, Wilkinson, McCullough, Rudge, Daehli, Rothwell, Barmby, Lawrence, van Velzen.

Bench: Pearson, Coll, Weir, Gorre.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
1-2 ft.

Thanks for the stream, Maciek. You should do this every week :angel:

Only caught the last 20 mins, Rothwell and McCullough looked good.

lysglimt

Scout
1-2 ft.

Thanks for the stream, Maciek. You should do this every week :angel:

Only caught the last 20 mins, Rothwell and McCullough looked good.
McCullough, Lawrence and Rothwell the only ones who performed well...

Hendrie was awful at right back - Jacob should have saved the 2nd goal - and maybe even the 1.

Rudge and van Velzen were both anonymous and Barmby missed every huge chance he got.

Having said that - we should have won this game easily - in terms of chances it was probably something like 8-9 big chances for us and 4 or 5 for Pompey

datura

McCullough, Lawrence and Rothwell the only ones who performed well...

Hendrie was awful at right back - Jacob should have saved the 2nd goal - and maybe even the 1.

Rudge and van Velzen were both anonymous and Barmby missed every huge chance he got.

Having said that - we should have won this game easily - in terms of chances it was probably something like 8-9 big chances for us and 4 or 5 for Pompey
A little bit overly and unnecessarily negative. I thought they played some lovely football at times but were caught out by a couple of cheap goals. The only real stand out player was McCullough who was very strong at the back and brought the ball out well.

Jacob will be disappointed with both goals but we had enough chances to win.

Some of the interplay between Daehli, Rudge, Rothwell and Lawrence in particular was excellent. We lacked a natural striker at times though.

lysglimt

Scout
A little bit overly and unnecessarily negative. I thought they played some lovely football at times but were caught out by a couple of cheap goals. The only real stand out player was McCullough who was very strong at the back and brought the ball out well.

Some of the interplay between Daehli, Rudge, Rothwell and Lawrence in particular was excellent. We lacked a natural striker at times though.
I guess we didn't see the same game - caught out by a couple of cheap goals ? Every chance Pompey created were due to horrible defending. And yes we did have some nice exchanging of passes around 25-30 yards out - but apart from the last 10 minutes - we hardly ever looked capable of creating any chances out of it. We can't play like that when the opposition have 10 men on their 18-yard line.

datura

I guess we didn't see the same game - caught out by a couple of cheap goals ? Every chance Pompey created were due to horrible defending. And yes we did have some nice exchanging of passes around 25-30 yards out - but apart from the last 10 minutes - we hardly ever looked capable of creating any chances out of it. We can't play like that when the opposition have 10 men on their 18-yard line.
I don't really see the point of being so negative? It's a young team yet to settle, they will make mistakes but it looks like a very good intake technically and there are some very talented individuals. It's all about development and you need to be patient.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I didn't know where to put it but it was posted on twitter just now. Taken from MUFC Yearbook 2002. Credit to Samuel Luckhurst

:eek:
What a great group

PS18

Agreed - no need for any negativity after that, performance was alright. Lacking a natural striker to offer a bit of a focal point/some finishing prowess, and some naive defending for sure, but that's nothing unexpected given the personnel. Far prefer to focus on the positives - McCullough was strong at the back and I thought Rothwell, Daehli and Lawrence had good games and showed what they're about.

Going to be a long, annoying season if games like that draw OTT criticism, because they're going to be fairly commonplace I suspect.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
I think we're just seeing these young players come in now and winning is not and should not be the priority. Obviously with some of the "bigger" players moving up the ranks last year we were picked to win every game but the coaching staff would say it's not that important.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
I didn't know where to put it but it was posted on twitter just now. Taken from MUFC Yearbook 2002. Credit to Samuel Luckhurst

:eek:
What a great group
Very cool to see, good find!

datura

Agreed - no need for any negativity after that, performance was alright. Lacking a natural striker to offer a bit of a focal point/some finishing prowess, and some naive defending for sure, but that's nothing unexpected given the personnel. Far prefer to focus on the positives - McCullough was strong at the back and I thought Rothwell, Daehli and Lawrence had good games and showed what they're about.

Going to be a long, annoying season if games like that draw OTT criticism, because they're going to be fairly commonplace I suspect.
I really like the look of Rothwell, very adroit on the ball and uses it well. There's also a few players to come into the group - Januzaj, Gollini, Byrne and Charni of the top of my head. Wilson might also get a fair few games.

As you said on your twitter I think this group will be inconsistent and suffer a fair few defeats but will be entertaining to watch and one of the more technically gifted groups we've had coming through.

Heffo

I really like the look of Rothwell, very adroit on the ball and uses it well. There's also a few players to come into the group - Januzaj, Gollini, Byrne and Charni of the top of my head. Wilson might also get a fair few games.

As you said on your twitter I think this group will be inconsistent and suffer a fair few defeats but will be entertaining to watch and one of the more technically gifted groups we've had coming through.
Agree totally on Rothwell, the only 2 times I've seen him play a full match were both losses (Milk Cup Final and yesterday) but from my point of view he impressed in both matches despite dissapointing results.

I also though Barmby showed some talent yesterday despite missing a couple of good opportunities. He wasn't as comfortable up front as he is on the wing and there is still alot of room for improvements but he certainly has a lot of the raw attributes required to become a good player and I think he'll become an important player for this academy team.

There are a number of players who are going to be very interesting to follow as they mature, fil out and improve as players and as you say there is still Gollini, Janzuaj, Byrne and Dalley coming in with Wilson likely to make some appearences as well. Janzuaj is supposed to be a bit special according to some and Byrne is a natural striker as well which could help. All in all I'm looking quite forward to seeing how they all do.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I didn't give permission for that blog post to be used mate..

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Some rather shameless pilfering of comments on here without crediting those who made them. You'd expect better given that the people who run it are posters here...

http://TheBusbyWay.com/2011/08/23/u-18s-1-portsmouth-2-thoughts-and-points/?

Not the first time either, they nicked a transcript of an interview I put up here from MUTV also, uncredited.
I took that for the site, I usually take content and on this occasion I did not ask permission.

I'm extremely sorry for using it and Datura, I'm not sure what transcript it was but send me the URL and I will credit you. You can ask most people on here who we take stuff from we alway credit Olly for instance I make sure whenever he makes a GIF I credit him and try and get him to name tag them as well.

Again I'm very sorry for this.