Accumulated fatigue is a real thing.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Well it's certainly put us behind in the first game, and we were lucky with the smash and grab against Brighton. Hopefully we will be fresher come Christmas than the others with the delayed start.
Can blame the Europa League I suppose, could have lost anyway though

Ludens the Red

The year is 2025.

Manchester United still can’t play any decent football and still have fitness issues in the squad.

“Its cos we played those two Europa League games in August 2020 and didn’t have a proper season”...

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
I thought the thread title was Accumulated Failure. Would still agree though.

DevilRed

wolves got decimated by west ham.

Our brighton victory in hindsight was actually very very good. Against a team thats played excellent football we managed to steal 3 points.

Strelok

I think this is real and not just for United. Clubs that played deep into Europe obviously have it worse but everybody is dealing with the effects of a shortened break and a non-standard preseason. And everybody will now be dealing with a more congested fixture schedule.

I think it all will significantly advantage clubs out of Europe and without a lot of internationals, whose players can both rest and sharpen up during international breaks. This is why I think its completely wrong when people claim that the race for top four will require 75+ points this year. Its more likely to be a war of attrition as completely exhausted sides try to hold it together enough to scrape 68-70 points over a very long season of matches played against teams with better rested players.
Agreed.

Teams who don't play European matches would have huge advantage. Everton may finish pretty high this season I think.

That is why they get paid ridiculous wages and a team is made of more than 11 players. If the coaches sees a player isn’t fit, then he should call on the depth of his team, rather than run a player into the ground. Or if that players needs fitness, then there is a lot of games to make him match fit. There is no excuse and it is all about squad management and sport science training equipment facilities.
Uhm last time we did that against Palace, it didn't end well you know ...

Last edited:

reelworld

I'm surprised nothing was done to make the schedule less hectic this season. They could've scraped the League Cup, gotten rid of non-qualifier international matches, and/or switched European matches to a one-leg knockout format. So many levers that could've been pulled.
Not gonna happened. TV money is too massive to reduced the amount of matches

imamuppet

L.M.A.O. As if you think wolves needed a pre season. They are inevitably beating West Ham easily
This went well

:lol: :lol:

Wish we had a "prediction" machine where you can stick in ALL variables that relate to football and get out some results.

Fortunately there are some of us who have our very own "prediction" machine, its called judging something without using ego and generally is dominated by emotion.

So keeping emotions in check is imperative as we can see the results of not keeping it in check just reading through many of the posts found on redcafe

I say to myself, "there cant be that many people this thi........." I'd better leave it there

:lol: :lol:

Those people who have the ability to negate this very difficult thing and understand the variables that would go into a "prediction" machine have already understood how our season would start and are just hoping that we can get the points on the board in the first 5-6 games as to keep our confidence high as this is so important.

So when we do get match fit, our players with have the mental appitude combined with their physical attributes to kick on.

Its so important as people are not "robots" and in having such a young team we really dont want to be fighting negative internal emotions such as not "believing" in ourselves which can more easily manifest itself in younger less experienced players.

The OP has it spot on, its not rocket science....

:)

jackal&hyde

It's not tiredness it's not being full fit, big difference. Brighton are fit and press well, they made us look bad all over the pitch.
This. There might be some fatigue element but we are simply in preseason mode, along with a few other team. Things will get back to normal in 2 or 3 more games.

romufc

It's not tiredness it's not being full fit, big difference. Brighton are fit and press well, they made us look bad all over the pitch.
This is something fans that don't play football won't understand. You can work hard on fitness and everything, coming into a game is different.

The intensity is different, especially if you are playing a team that is ahead in its fitness. What people dont realise is that teams had the whole of august off. We had 2 weeks off before coming back.

We didn't have a pre season. Pogba, AWB have had no pre season.

We saw City, Wolves, Bayern all struggle this weekend because the opponents are sharper.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
This is just another excuse,

Tired and fatigue is real but let's not forget we're competing against other 19 teams with pretty much the same condition, it's not as if we're the only one that isn't awarded some break. If smaller team can do it, why can't we? We played 1 extra match in EL? Hardly an excuse for our total meltdown on the first game of the season after 2 weeks vacation.

Squad depth : Teams like Everton / Southampton, / Spurs / Arsenal are probably on the same boat as us, they don't have depth to allow for rotation without sacrificing quality. If they can do it, why can't we? Switch the tactics to reduce running, change formation to a more compact so that you mark less, etc. Many things managers can do to mitigate fatique. If Ole can't manage it this early on the season then God help us when the fixtures getting busy.

It's one thing if the player's are gassed in 80 minutes, but they have been clueless since the first minute. You can be out of breath at 80th minute, but that doesn't make you unable to string a pass and play with a system in the first half. That's a totally different deficiencies.

Match sharpness is another thing, but also I find it weird that we're so lacking in it, our last game is hardly a few weeks before our first game. And again, other teams doesn't have this problem.

We can't beat CP not because of tiredness, but because we don't know how to break them.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The scheduling it's always going to be a problem but the top teams are supposed to have squads able to cope with that amount of fixtures, but like you said there's more than that and it requires some planning ahead. Some teams can have a strong XI but their backups might not perform to the stand and would be forced to keep playing the same players in order to get favorable results. So there a lot of variables that come to squad management along with the fixtures, injuries, etc.
Squad depth matters in the later part of the campaign where your bench will make the difference, not in the first game of the season.

The first 5 games of the season is supposed to be level playing field for everyone, everyone starts fresh (bar injuries), and the first 5 games aren't disrupted with European games, even if there's a LC it'll be us an everyone else.

Strelok

This. There might be some fatigue element but we are simply in preseason mode, along with a few other team. Things will get back to normal in 2 or 3 more games.
Really hope this would be the case. But I'd doubt it.

Usually a season ends by mid May and players have their holidays till early July. So 6-8 weeks off. By then most players should recharge their energy, remove the accumulated fatigue of the last season but they would also have low fitness, both physical and match fitness. The pre season is where they would get both back and build the stamina base for the comming season.

This year imo we actually just contiue the last season, with a small break. And the last season actually started from March, with no pre season. Worse thing is the schedule was super congested especially for teams who played in multiple fronts and reached late stages.

So, imo the accumulated fatigue hasn't been removed at all for teams like us.

It's been a really weird one last season. And the players still and will suffer from that I think.

Siorac

I agree, in hindsight, but I don't think the players would have accepted that. We were considered favourites and playing very well. They would have been hungry for some decent silverware and Ole would have been thinking of putting a marker down. If we'd have won the thing, would you say the same?
I did want the Europa League but by the time it started again, we hadn't been playing well for a while... we had looked poor in our last 4-5 league games.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I did want the Europa League but by the time it started again, we hadn't been playing well for a while... we had looked poor in our last 4-5 league games.
True. That was down to fatigue - both physical and mental I would think. We had a little break to recover physically, but not long really. But mentally it must have been a gruelling season, knowing as well that you'll get no time to recover for the next season, and the season after that come to think of it.