Ademola Lookman | Atalanta

carlosp

Looks a good prospect this kid. I haven't seen any threads regarding him(searched) so created this one.

Uses both feet pretty well. Quick, very Ronaldo/Messi-esque and players for England U19. Wondering why the club isn't in for him.

Any of you have any views or thoughts on him?

ti vu

Just a guess: maybe his tactical sense is not up there yet, doesn't work hard defensively, doesn't pass enough while dribble too much...

Football is not all about dribbling and shooting. There is an insane dribbling monster in Adama Traore that has no end product at all, understandably stuck at Boro to learn his trade.

carlosp

Just a guess: maybe his tactical sense is not up there yet, doesn't work hard defensively, doesn't pass enough while dribble too much...

Football is not all about dribbling and shooting. There is an insane dribbling monster in Adama Traore that has no end product at all, understandably stuck at Boro to learn his trade.
Well I don't remember Ronaldo working hard at defence when he joined us at 18 or even when he was 19. Hell I don't even remember Ronaldo working hard defensively now in his prime. Also those just show his goals and skills, doesn't show anything in defence. I'm sure this kid could run back and defend if he needs to although apparently he does play as a forward according to the club, while a lot of those clips show him playing out the midfield so my guess is his defence is minimal as any forwards would be. That said him playing though the midfield is pretty good.

Ademola Lookman Olajade Lookman (born 20 October 1997) is an English professional footballer who plays as a forward for Charlton Athletic.

ti vu

Well I don't remember Ronaldo working hard at defence when he joined us at 18 or even when he was 19. Hell I don't even remember Ronaldo working hard defensively now in his prime. Also those just show his goals and skills, doesn't show anything in defence. I'm sure this kid could run back and defend if he needs to although apparently he does play as a forward according to the club, while a lot of those clips show him playing out the midfield so my guess is his defence is minimal as any forwards would be. That said him playing though the midfield is pretty good.
Just my wild guess, not anything statement. Hard to judge from clip as it doesn't paint full picture. Zaha was awesome when we bought him just to find out later he was shockingly lazy in defensive phase and off ball he's bang average with absolutely no movement

There was a period after Solskajer was injured, Fletcher competed game time with Ronaldo despite Fletch was very meh wing attacker. That's due to he worked better defensive and gave us a better balance. Ronnie was in and out of the starting line up depend on opponent we went against. Then we had Rooney who everywhere and helped defensive duty despite being a forward. Only when Ronnie really stepped up that he's justified his starting spot. Also the central midfield pair was set up much deeper and we started score less from central area than used to be. Before same 442/4411 set up but our midfield was a flat line with central midfield played high and joined attack.

LInkash

Can someone make a look, man joke? I don't have the comedy chops.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
He's pretty much been our main attacking spark for the past 2 seasons now, a pretty good finisher especially from around the edge of the box and has the ability to beat a man, not just for pace but has close control, quick feet and can change direction rapidly. He has that element where he looks like he can create something out of nothing and he's done that a few times for us and scored some wonderful goals.

That said, the Premier League is huge jump that he's not ready for yet. Everton should really loan him back to us or probably better for his development, a mid-table Championship team for the rest of the season. Needs a huge amount of work on his passing, a bit of his final ball and whilst he's not lazy and adverse to putting in a bit of work, defensively he's suspect as he's pretty lightweight and can't tackle. If they think he can contribute straight away I fear they are very mistaken, but with Bolasie being out for a year I would expect him to be in and around the squad immediately.

Gutted obviously to lose him but it was inevitable, and £11m is outrageous money for a League One player, albeit one he's produced the goods there and in the Championship for half a season and with solid potential.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Hope he plays for Nigeria at some point.

Last edited:

Pagh Wraith

Unbelievably unprofessional. Don't take penalties if you have no idea of how you are going to shoot.

marktan

Only caught the last 30 mins but he actually played well, he helps Fulham because they have no decent wide players.

That penanka though.. christ alive. They're hard to pull off because you need to hit them with pace whilst still dinking it.. his one I'm not sure would've even crossed the finish line

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Just bad moves/loans consecutively ever since leaving Charlton, really. Looked a prospect at one point.

neilv93

Cairney and Mitro need to hang their heads in shame for not taking responsibility there - neither went near the ball. Leaving the responsibility and huge shoulder-weight on a young lad, who has immense balls for not only taking a penalty in that scenario, but for trying a panenka.

That said, awful penalty and terrible time to actually try and do that. 98th minute, just smash the fkn thing down the middle.

432JuanMata

Cairney and Mitro need to hang their heads in shame for not taking responsibility there - neither went near the ball. Leaving the responsibility and huge shoulder-weight on a young lad, who has immense balls for not only taking a penalty in that scenario, but for trying a panenka.

That said, awful penalty and terrible time to actually try and do that. 98th minute, just smash the fkn thing down the middle.
Why do it on the 98th min ? He will learn but never do that. I agree Mitro is a cowardly he hides a lot after having that mate a few weeks ago but he is the main striker he should be grabbing that ball instantly

Pagh Wraith

You shouldn't be taking pens either!

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
A week or two with the youth team to put some sense in his head. Where does he think he is seriously ? Fulham need every single point they can get and you pull that stupid attempt on the last minute :confused:

LVGSdive

Only caught the last 30 mins but he actually played well, he helps Fulham because they have no decent wide players.

That penanka though.. christ alive. They're hard to pull off because you need to hit them with pace whilst still dinking it.. his one I'm not sure would've even crossed the finish line
It makes a change that the goal keeper didn't just dive out of the way like they do 99% of the time. So I can't blame him for doing it. It might have been hit weaker than the one Postiga scored against David James.

neilv93

Why do it on the 98th min ? He will learn but never do that. I agree Mitro is a cowardly he hides a lot after having that mate a few weeks ago but he is the main striker he should be grabbing that ball instantly
Yeah that I cannot explain whatsoever.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He won’t forget that for awhile. Fulham are down anyway

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
You must have forgotten the penalty shootout that we lost to Sunderland. Fair play to you if you have.
I still remember Jones' penalty. The image of his stance as he is striking the ball is revolting, it's like his first time kicking a ball.

You should only be looking that high in the air after you take a rugby penalty, not a football one.

432JuanMata

Poor kid, was absolutely gutted.
It’s a learning curve he is young, it was a stupid mistake but you can’t do at that time and score, put your foot through it and if you miss so be it. See them penos are big highs and even bigger lows if it went in he would be called cool as you like but you miss and you look like a clown. He is Fulham’s best player from what I’ve seen but that was a inexperienced and stupid mistake

Canuckred64

Utter shocker of a penalty, but why was he taking it in the first place? They had veteran players out there and don't they have a designated taker? I give the kid some credit for stepping up ,but terrible choice of how and who should take the penalty, but give some of the blame to the likes of Mitrovic and Cairney.

Ekeke

2nd top goalscorer in Serie A with 11 goals this season, including 2 against Juventus last night and just 2 behind Osimhen the top scorer.

25 now and didnt make it at Leicester despite having some good moments. On his day he is a real threat. But he's rarely found consistency. So far this season he has been consistent and is arguably Atalanta's best player, although they are just 6th in the league.

If he can keep up this form till the end of the season he's good enough for Newcastle, or maybe Milan or Juventus one of the top teams in Italy want him.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
2nd top goalscorer in Serie A with 11 goals this season, including 2 against Juventus last night and just 2 behind Osimhen the top scorer.

25 now and didnt make it at Leicester despite having some good moments. On his day he is a real threat. But he's rarely found consistency. So far this season he has been consistent and is arguably Atalanta's best player, although they are just 6th in the league.

If he can keep up this form till the end of the season he's good enough for Newcastle, or maybe Milan or Juventus one of the top teams in Italy want him.
Nice to see so many young British-born players going and making a career for themselves in other top leagues these days.

I can't say I rated Lookman based on the few times I saw him in the PL, but Everton must be kicking themselves a bit and wishing any of their wide forwards knew where the net is half as much as he does now.

Devil81

Fair play to him, he's experiencing football all over Europe's top leagues.