Adidas x Stone Roses to release Manchester United collection (Entrance music discussion at OT also)

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
just watched the Youtube vid, JEvans is right, that song always gives me goosebumps. I had to laugh though when Gary Neville says 'Old Trafford is splendor', for once he didn't mention the leaking roof !!! I do fancy that black top with sleeve stripes though.

wormdoktor

Love Spreads is a better song, with a more instant intro. The long quiet parts in This Is The One do not work for intro music.

Or, on a completely different note, Blackwater Park by Opeth!

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Do grown adults actually buy branded football merchandise?
going to get the tracksuit and wear it over my kit on the walk to the pitch as they players come out the tunnel (walk down the stairs to the armchair.) the kids will think i look the shit whilst i force them to clap me to my seat. couple of leaps into the air and then strip it off, ready for the first carling of the day.

Frank Grimes

Got the Pollock top locked in. 80 euro with delivery but will sell out quickly and it's the best of all the range. Like the reni hat too, might buy that when I have a few spare quid.

Last edited:

Superunknown

Love Spreads is a better song, with a more instant intro. The long quiet parts in This Is The One do not work for intro music.

Or, on a completely different note, Blackwater Park by Opeth!
When it hits though, it really is magnificent. :drool:

MacarisSocks

A players leaving the pitch anthem?

Heaven knows I'm miserable now - The Smiths?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Oh feck me. Yet Another Great Manchester Band Ruined by a Dickhead Lead Singer.
To be fair he has always been a dickhead. Just now a next level dickhead. A bit like Morrisey who at least was an amusing dickhead when The Smith were making music.

Herculean

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Decent song, but I agree…not an entrance song that inspires me.
(I also had to google why the lemons were everywhere in the video :D…now I know)

Withnail

To be fair he has always been a dickhead. Just now a next level dickhead. A bit like Morrisey who at least was an amusing dickhead when The Smith were making music.
The most amazing moment at a gig I have ever witnessed was when Ian Brown played the King's Hall in Belfast somewhere in the 2000s. A mate of mine had a spare so the two of us drove up. They had those plastic Stella bottles which we'd never seen in Dublin and to be honest never took off but they were great at a gig.

Anyway he comes on and starts chanting Georgie Best, Georgie Best to the tune of magic submarine which was all good but I think he dirtied his bib with one half of the community with something he said during his intro and I can't remember which side he insulted tbh so the crowd were a little on his back from the get-go and quite noticeabley different from Dublin the Belfast crowd were not taking any shit. So he starts into the first song and then he's not happy with the band so he stops them playing. So the boos start with gusto. The bad start playing again and as he's about to start signing he stops them again for some unknown fecking reason and by the third or fourth time this happened the aformentioned plastic stella bottles start flying up onto the stage. At one point a random girl in front of me turns around and goes 'I predict a riot'. That song hadn't been out too long at the time.

Browne takes umbrage with the bottle throwing and boo-ing and starts giving out. You couldn't make this up but he goes "if one more bottle comes up on this stage..." and as he is saying this we notice this bottle flying over our heads at the what looks like the right elevation and seems to be heading dead centre of the stage and toward Browne. Before he could finish the threat which was presumably to walk off, the plastic bottle of Stella smacked him right between the eyes. It was feckin hilarious. The whole crowd erupted in a massive 'ahhhhhhhh' followed by histerical laughter as he stormed off the stage.

The crowd were getting restless but still a bit giddy from the ridiculousness of it all. So eventually then some promoter dweeb came out to tell us that he'd agree to come back out but we were all to behave ourselves. So he came back out, no more messing, and it was great gig in the end.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The most amazing moment at a gig I have ever witnessed was when Ian Brown played the King's Hall in Belfast somewhere in the 2000s. A mate of mine had a spare so the two of us drove up. They had those plastic Stella bottles which we'd never seen in Dublin and to be honest never took off but they were great at a gig.

Anyway he comes on and starts chanting Georgie Best, Georgie Best to the tune of magic submarine which was all good but I think he dirtied his bib with one half of the community with something he said during his intro and I can't remember which side he insulted tbh so the crowd were a little on his back from the get-go and quite noticeabley different from Dublin the Belfast crowd were not taking any shit. So he starts into the first song and then he's not happy with the band so he stops them playing. So the boos start with gusto. The bad start playing again and as he's about to start signing he stops them again for some unknown fecking reason and by the third or fourth time this happened the aformentioned plastic stella bottles start flying up onto the stage. At one point a random girl in front of me turns around and goes 'I predict a riot'. That song hadn't been out too long at the time.

Browne takes umbrage with the bottle throwing and boo-ing and starts giving out. You couldn't make this up but he goes "if one more bottle comes up on this stage..." and as he is saying this we notice this bottle flying over our heads at the what looks like the right elevation and seems to be heading dead centre of the stage and toward Browne. Before he could finish the threat which was presumably to walk off, the plastic bottle of Stella smacked him right between the eyes. It was feckin hilarious. The whole crowd erupted in a massive 'ahhhhhhhh' followed by histerical laughter as he stormed off the stage.

The crowd were getting restless but still a bit giddy from the ridiculousness of it all. So eventually then some promoter dweeb came out to tell us that he'd agree to come back out but we were all to behave ourselves. So he came back out, no more messing, and it was great gig in the end.
I only saw them once at The Hacienda in the mid 80's and they were shit. Probably the worst band I ever saw. Couldn't sing, couldn't play and all their songs were terrible. I think they were trying to attach themselves to the Goth scene at the time (and failing) so probably very different from later when they became popular.

Withnail

I only saw them once at The Hacienda in the mid 80's and they were shit. Probably the worst band I ever saw. Couldn't sing, couldn't play and all their songs were terrible. I think they were trying to attach themselves to the Goth scene at the time (and failing) so probably very different from later when they became popular.
Well this was him after going solo, doing his and the stone roses' hits for a captive audience and a bottle smacked him straight in the face when he was being diva. It was sublime poetic justice.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Well this was him after going solo, doing his and the stone roses' hits for a captive audience and a bottle smacked him straight in the face when he was being diva. It was sublime poetic justice.
Works for me :)

Something poetic about it being a plastic bottle of wifebeater as well. Not quite sure why but ....

Frank Grimes

Seen him about 7 or 8 times in the early 00's. Gigs in the Olympia were class, especially one on Paddy's Day 2002. Even caught him in Sydney when I was there for a year 05/06. Can't sing for toffee but he didn't have to. That karaoke he is doing now is crap, can't believe people pay to watch that.

Withnail

Seen him about 7 or 8 times in the early 00's. Gigs in the Olympia were class, especially one on Paddy's Day 2002. Even caught him in Sydney when I was there for a year 05/06. Can't sing for toffee but he didn't have to. That karaoke he is doing now is crap, can't believe people pay to watch that.
Is he still doing that awfulness alone with the backing track? Saw a vid from a few years ago and it was beyond grim.

johnnyteutonic

Mate, I'm so jealous you got to live through that era.
Obviously I've seen it immortalised/romanticised in 24 hour party people...
What was the best live bands you saw then?

Edited - damn I got to my 5 post limit so I'm gonna respond to this later.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Mate, I'm so jealous you got to live through that era.
Obviously I've seen it immortalised/romanticised in 24 hour party people...
What was the best live bands you saw then?
At the hacienda I saw loads of great bands. New Order of course, Orange Juice, lloyd Cole and lots of others.

Probably the best gig at the Hacienda was The Eurythmic the day after Sweet Dreams shot to the top of the UK charts. Only a handful of tickets had been sold so when we arrived you could just walk up to the stage. Just before they came on the place started to fill with door sales and the place was full by the time they came on. They then played the whole of the first album. Excellent. Most annoyingly I didn't see The Smiths about the same time and it was cheap as chips.

I also remember seeing Simply Red in Alexandra Park in 1985 (I think it was). Despite hating Hucknall, who was the DJ at the Poly Bar and a complete tosser who won't play anything like New Order if you requested, that was pretty good.

Oddly, the best New Order gig I saw was at the Sydney Opera House in 2016. 4 rows from the front in a small venue and they played all the good stuff including some Joy Division songs. Ended With Love Will Tear Us Apart.

Last edited:

David De Gea

Does the band really have to be from Manchester? My suggestion would be 100 mile high city by Ocean Colour Scene. Throw back to the old Three Lions football game too!

Pep Guard Yolo

Giggs will tear us apart again!

the kick drum pattern on a loop at the intro for Blue (red) Monday.

The Irish Connection

The reversible top is really tempting.
I’ve been boycotting adidas over the Glazers for years, but with Ratcliffe coming in and hopefully pushing them out completely, I might rethink.

BUGGS

The black track top isn't on the website anymore. Must be limited edition.