Adidas x Stone Roses to release Manchester United collection (Entrance music discussion at OT also)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Adidas love a problematic conspiracy theorist don’t they?

lsd

The Oracle
I don't want any of my money going to Ian Brown so no chance

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
What's the story here besides being a local band?
Ian Brown is big United fan, often used to be at matches. Mani the bassist also.

Gary Neville chose 'This Is The One' as the team entrance music when he was captain.

Ian Brown sang it live on the pitch before Neville's testimonial and it's still our entrance music today.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Ian Brown is big United fan, often used to be at matches. Mani the bassist also.

Gary Neville chose 'This Is The One' as the team entrance music when he was captain.

Ian Brown sang it live on the pitch before Neville's testimonial and it's still our entrance music today.
Does our use of This Is the One only go back as far as Neville's captaincy, or was it just only then it became a regular fixture?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Does our use of This Is the One only go back as far as Neville's captaincy, or was it just only then it became a regular fixture?
It started with Neville

IIRC Before that we had Eye Of The Tiger and Simply The Best

I think captains are allowed to change it but none since Neville have done so

SHARP VIEWCAM

We really need a new tune to walk out to. It’s just not inspiring. If it’s got to be a roses track we’d be much better off with ‘I wanna be adored’.

United are missing an anthem though…and I don’t think that is it.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
It started with Neville

It wasn’t eye of the tiger. It was the theme from Rocky. The best entrance music ever especially on a big European night or Liverpool game. Really roused the crowd. This is the one is a good song but it falls flat.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
It wasn’t eye of the tiger. It was the theme from Rocky. The best entrance music ever especially on a big European night or Liverpool game. Really roused the crowd. This is the one is a good song but it falls flat.
Ye that's the one - I get them mixed up for obvious reasons

I prefer This Is The One personally

DOTA

I like This Is the One. The way it builds works nicely for the occasion I think.

SHARP VIEWCAM

I like This Is the One. The way it builds works nicely for the occasion I think.
It’s just so weak sounding once the initial riff is done. Not slamming the track, just isn’t rousing or meant to be.

stevoc

It started with Neville

Which explains a lot about the leadership or lack thereof at the club over the last 10 years.

Potentially an exciting new era at the club so it's time for a new entrance theme, This is the one though a good song is a bit too flat for me.

lsd

The Oracle
Which explains a lot about the leadership or lack thereof at the club over the last 10 years.

Potentially an exciting new era at the club so it's time for a new entrance theme, This is the one though a good song is a bit too flat for me.

We really need to change it I'm sure none of the current players like it nor even know what it is to be honest.

The Roses were obviously a great band but it was one album in all honesty over thirty years ago and Ian Brown had become a complete bell-end.

It's surely time to move on

DOTA

Anyone suggesting changing This Is the One should have to tell us their god-awful suggestion so we can laugh in their faces.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
We really need to change it I'm sure none of the current players like it nor even know what it is to be honest.

The Roses were obviously a great band but it was one album in all honesty over thirty years ago and Ian Brown had become a complete bell-end.

Come on then, let’s hear some suggestions.

stw2022

Come on then, let’s hear some suggestions.
You say that as if there isn't hundreds. The fact they're Manchester based and support the club is grand but their music is neither relevant or uplifting

I think there's an Emperor's New Clothes situation with United fans where we all have to pretend we like the Stone Roses because of the link to the area and support of the club. Which makes as much sense as pretending we think Eamon Holmes is he best journalist in he land and Mick Hucknall's beautiful face is an antidote to erectile dysfunction.

If Jason Donovan was a top red there'd be people insisting he had some banging tunes as we came out each week to Too Many Broken Hearts.

For its relevance to anyone under the age of 45 we might as well come out to a song by the Andrews Sisters

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Correct me if I’m wrong (not from Manchester) but hasn’t Manchester’s influence on the music scene basically mirrored Manchester United’s influence on the football scene since Stone Roses were last popular? Can’t see a problem with continuing to walk out to a tune from an era when United’s football and Manchester’s music were last great. Whether or not Ian Brown’s burnt out rock star ramblings are problematic.

Also. Stone Roses >>>>>>> Oasis. Needs to be said.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You say that as if there isn't hundreds. The fact they're Manchester based and support the club is grand but their music is neither relevant or uplifting

I think there's an Emperor's New Clothes situation with United fans where we all have to pretend we like the Stone Roses because of the link to the area and support of the club. Which makes as much sense as pretending we think Eamon Holmes is he best journalist in he land and Mick Hucknall's beautiful face is an antidote to erectile dysfunction.

If Jason Donovan was a top red there'd be people insisting he had some banging tunes as we came out each week to Too Many Broken Hearts.

For its relevance to anyone under the age of 45 we might as well come out to a song by the Andrews Sisters
Comparing the Stone Roses to Mick Hucknall, Jason Donovan and the Andrews sisters, are we? Oh dear.

whitbyviking

Immigrant Song - Led Zep

Couldn’t care less really about the walk out music, just think the above would be a good song for a replacement

RoyH1

The Stone Roses and United. Two of my favorite things. Perfection.

stw2022

I'm just saying that if Oasis hadn't happened with their links to City then the number of United fans pretending they idolise the Stone Roses wouldn't be a fraction of what it is

If the Stone Roses didn't happen and Oasis still did (ignoring the fact one were inspired heavily by the other) there'd genuinely be fans here today passionately insisting Simply Red were the best band of all time for absolutely no other reason than the fact they were United fans.

"Name a better song to walk out to than Pleasure at the Fairground?"

stevoc

Indeed, the entrance music used to be changed pretty regularly over the 90's and 00's. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but we only started using it around 2010-2011 anyway, so while it's been a while it's not like it's a song that's been played every home game since the 60's and is a tradition or anything.

It's time for a change.

Lyng

Justin Timberlake is apparently a United fan. We might aswell walk out to Cant stop the feeling. All our brazilian ballers dancing their way on to the pitch....

please someone bite

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I'm just saying that if Oasis hadn't happened with their links to City then the number of United fans pretending they idolise the Stone Roses wouldn't be a fraction of what it is

If the Stone Roses didn't happen and Oasis still did (ignoring the fact one were inspired heavily by the other) there'd genuinely be fans here today passionately insisting Simply Red were the best band of all time for absolutely no other reason than the fact they were United fans.

Ed Woodwards choice

arthurka

We really need a new tune to walk out to. It’s just not inspiring. If it’s got to be a roses track we’d be much better off with ‘I wanna be adored’.

United are missing an anthem though…and I don’t think that is it.
I fully agree it's a much better song. What about Joy Division or New order?

Manncunian

I agree with those saying it’s not rousing or uplifting. But it does also carry tradition from an era when we were totally dominant. I’ve never particularly liked the song though I can’t lie.

I’d be very much in favour of a change, however, wouldn’t want to be the one making that call :lol:.

Whilst we’re at it, I think the Premier League anthem is also pretty insipid and uninspiring. Compared to newer anthems in sport like the Europa League or Formula 1, it lacks atmosphere massively and doesn’t get the juices flowing before a match. But that’s a discussion for another day.

klsv

Walk out should look like they do at the Miami GP in F1 and every player should have their own song with cheerleaders' guard of honor and Ten Hag as an announcer.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

What a car crash of a post - backwards logic with no grounding in reality

kirk buttercup

I love the Stone Roses. And any time I have visited Old Trafford when This is the one Starts I get tingles . Love it as an entrance and it is beautifully Manchester through and through . Never change it