Adidas x Stone Roses to release Manchester United collection (Entrance music discussion at OT also)

Rockets Redglare

I'm just saying that if Oasis hadn't happened with their links to City then the number of United fans pretending they idolise the Stone Roses wouldn't be a fraction of what it is

If the Stone Roses didn't happen and Oasis still did (ignoring the fact one were inspired heavily by the other) there'd genuinely be fans here today passionately insisting Simply Red were the best band of all time for absolutely no other reason than the fact they were United fans.

"Name a better song to walk out to than Pleasure at the Fairground?"
You’re ignoring the simple fact that Oasis are shite and the first Stone Roses album is an absolute classic, plus I couldn’t give a toss who supports who when it comes to my music choice. Johnny Marr is a City fan and he’s a genius.

That said I’d much rather we still came out to the Rocky theme.

Manncunian

Wouldn’t a song people actually sing to in unison be a better choice? Something that gets the entire crowd changing/singing along together.

Agreed re the Rocky theme. It’s an obvious and perhaps clichéd choice, but it is excellent at building an atmosphere. And we’ve had it before.

stevoc

Wouldn’t a song people actually sing to in unison be a better choice? Something that gets the entire crowd changing/singing along together.

Agreed re the Rocky theme. It’s an obvious and perhaps clichéd choice, but it is excellent at building an atmosphere. And we’ve had it before.
Yeah I wouldn't mind that making a comeback.

ROFLUTION

Didnt know Ian Brown was a covidiot - for a moment I was actually excited about the collection.

pacifictheme

Anyone remember when we used to come out to lust for life. I loved that.

Love this is the one too.

Herman Toothrot

I'm a massive fan of The Stone Roses music, their initial short-lived run was incredible and they sounded like nobody else at the time. They are huge amongst indie fans of a certain era, critics and especially with people here in Manchester where their 2012 reunion was a massive event.

Obviously, there are many strange people here who have an aversion to anything Manchester-related, or indeed English. For some reason, the very idea of this will boil their piss. Why they spend their days hanging around on a United forum is beyond me. But whatever, you're welcome to watch online and join in however you see fit. Go sports!

If you don't like them, or think they're overrated. Good for you too, all opinions are valid.

However, you cannot deny they're a big part of the city's culture, Manchester United are too and they're linked - which has nothing to do with fecking Oasis btw. It's nothing you need to get upset about.

Even as a fan of both the band and the club, I couldn't be less interested in the merch and I'd be shocked if it's anything less than a pretty tasteless cash-in (much like the band's post-reunion efforts), but who knows? Maybe Yanmar can stick a lemon on their tractors?

BerryBerryShrew

Isn't Richard Ashcroft a United fan? Bittersweet Symphony seems like it would have been the perfect anthem for the last decade. Plus we could always change it to "The Drugs don't work" whenever we play Liverpool during one of their "off seasons" just for larks.

Spoony

The People's President
Correct me if I’m wrong (not from Manchester) but hasn’t Manchester’s influence on the music scene basically mirrored Manchester United’s influence on the football scene since Stone Roses were last popular? Can’t see a problem with continuing to walk out to a tune from an era when United’s football and Manchester’s music were last great. Whether or not Ian Brown’s burnt out rock star ramblings are problematic.

Also. Stone Roses >>>>>>> Oasis. Needs to be said.
Rock and goal! I wouldn't change it, it's just so Manchester. Sure stuff like War/Rocky 4 is more rousing but it's got nowt to do with United or Manchester. I love the Roses and they're a part of the city's history. This is the One reminds me of The Treble. It's been played for a few years, so I'm happy enough with keeping that tradition going. I doubt many Everton fans would change Z Cars. Would they.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Rock and goal! I wouldn't change it, it's just so Manchester. Sure stuff like War/Rocky 4 is more rousing but it's got nowt to do with United or Manchester. I love the Roses and they're a part of the city's history. This is the One reminds me of The Treble. It's been played for a few years, so I'm happy enough with keeping that tradition going. I doubt many Everton fans would change Z Cars. Would they.
Yup. The idea that music - of all things - has a sell by date is fecking nuts.

Herman Toothrot

Indeed. This Is The One came out in 1989, so doesn't quite come from an era of United dominance. Regarding the city's musical influence, I think it's somewhat overstated and that well has long been dry and poisoned. You cannot deny the great run of bands and scenes coming out of Manchester, but seeing Tony Wilson quotes and yellow and black stripes being used to sell new apartment complexes and normalise the private ownership of the city centre is nauseating. Manchester is still a thriving musical city and always has been, but the days of bands and scenes really dictating the cultural zeitgeist are well and truly over. Record companies used to lean into trends, they now build them in laboratories and need not trouble themselves with discovering new artists. That said, there are still loads of great bands in the city and the music venues are packed every day of the week. You'll often find the biggest names playing mid-week gigs in Manchester as, unlike other cities, they'll still sell out. For as long as I can remember, there's been a great electronic scene here too, but there's always an annoying voice banging on about "the next Oasis", I'd not worry about that too much as you'll only ever end up with total shite like The Courteeners, a band out of time, willed into existence somehow to feed nostalgia.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
Probably be the Courteeners "not 19 forever", given the amount of times it is played

Mmm-Qatarian

Wait, there are people who don't like "This is the One" as our walk-out song? I think it's pretty perfect; comfortably the best of the Premier League grounds I've been to even if I am somewhat biased.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
One of the biggest bands in the world today is from Manchester (actually posh cnuts from Wilmslow but they're not too keen on stressing that...).

I mean, they're fecking awful, but they are very big.

Lyng

Well when the guy behind the music turns out to be an absolute idiot spreading dangerous nonsense about Covid being invented to make us all digital slaves, maybe its time to change the song....

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well when the guy behind the music turns out to be an absolute idiot spreading dangerous nonsense about Covid being invented to make us all digital slaves, maybe its time to change the song....
I’m a big believer that we can separate the art from the artist. And it’s not like he’s a kiddie fiddler. Just one of thousands of middle aged men who get sucked into stupid conspiracy theories after spending too much time online (and/or smoking too much weed)

L1nk

I Am the Resurrection as ETH's mighty Red's return to prominance over the next few seasons *chefs kiss*

The Charlatans - The Only One I Know
The Smiths - How Soon Is Now
The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony

Would be choices I wouldn't mind hearing

Lyng

I’m a big believer that we can separate the art from the artist. And it’s not like he’s a kiddie fiddler. Just one of thousands of middle aged men who get sucked into stupid conspiracy theories after spending too much time online (and/or smoking too much weed)
Well the thing is his music being front an center for United might lead some younger fans to listen to his nonsense which would be quite dangerous to be honest.

JB7

Or just turn the bloody music off and let the crowd make the noise, rather than the crowd getting going and then being drowned out by unnecessary music.

SydneyRoughDiamond

If you're suggesting ACDC ( excellent choice btw ) , then surely Shoot to Thrill ? Although Thunderstruck is a great choice.

DOTA

Simply Red slap.
Well the thing is his music being front an center for United might lead some younger fans to listen to his nonsense which would be quite dangerous to be honest.

L1nk

Btw Richard Ashcroft is a United fan so I cannot believe we're talking about Simply Red etc as comparisons when The Verve is right there

Withnail

Or just turn the bloody music off and let the crowd make the noise, rather than the crowd getting going and then being drowned out by unnecessary music.
I agree in general about the 'forced fun'/contrived element to playing music during the build up etc but I think walking out music is fine as it's for the players and the captain can change the song, which I wasn't aware of.

I love this is the one and it's the only walking out music I've ever known. If they changed it, it would need to be a very good choice. Chances are it'd be a change for the worse.

Spoony

The People's President

He's(Ian Brown) has converted many United fans to his cult with his bizarre views, to be fair.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Can’t we just not play any music and then make the opposition take kick off and we go “whoooooaaaaaaa” and then as they kick it off we go “you’re shit aaaaaaaaa”

DOTA

He's(Ian Brown) has converted many United fans to his cult with his bizarre views, to be fair.

I don't want my kids exposed to this stuff.

Spoony

The People's President
Btw Richard Ashcroft is a United fan so I cannot believe we're talking about Simply Red etc as comparisons when The Verve is right there

And I'm not sure any team would want to walk onto the pitch listening to Morrissey sing 'I think it's over' booming around the stadium.

Red00012

This is the one is crap .
there i said it .
It does nothing to get the crowd going .
That siren that goes off in goodison is an upgrade on what we have.
We’ve a few hundred singing bring on United while it’s on.
Time for a change.

JB7

I agree in general about the 'forced fun'/contrived element to playing music during the build up etc but I think walking out music is fine as it's for the players and the captain can change the song, which I wasn't aware of.

I love this is the one and it's the only walking out music I've ever known. If they changed it, it would need to be a very good choice. Chances are it'd be a change for the worse.
That wasn't really the point I was making. They generally have the music off - certainly in TRA section - for 15 minutes or so before the game, so noise starts to build, "bring on United" "U-N-I-T-E-D" etc and then as most people have got to their seats and it's getting louder, they play This Is The One really loud and drown everyone out which kills the noise. It's stupid, just leave it off and let the crowd make the noise.

And believe me this is nothing against This Is The One, me & my missus walked out from our wedding to that song :lol: