Adnan Januzaj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
There were rumours that he was going to go on the summer tour. Obviously this didn't happen and with us not having euros or a World Cup this summer then I doubt he will this summer, but I'm really hoping he gets a loan move next year.

I know we say that some players are too young or aren't ready, but sometimes when you have clear talents you need to give them what they crave.

Swaters16

There were rumours that he was going to go on the summer tour. Obviously this didn't happen and with us not having euros or a World Cup this summer then I doubt he will this summer, but I'm really hoping he gets a loan move next year.

I know we say that some players are too young or aren't ready, but sometimes when you have clear talents you need to give them what they crave.
I'm hoping he goes on the summer tour. SAF might think he's ready to get a chance over the tour and if all goes well he might see a proper loan or get a crack at the first team. He might be considered too young or slight still though.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
He's one of those players I just love watching.

I know it's not going to happen...and for good reason really but I'd love to see him on the bench against Reading in the cup with a 20 minute cameo if we're winning. It's way too early like but you'd just love to see what he'd make of it.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
For now it's exciting enough to see what he makes of his opportunities for the u21s.

Cevno

He's one of those players I just love watching.

I know it's not going to happen...and for good reason really but I'd love to see him on the bench against Reading in the cup with a 20 minute cameo if we're winning. It's way too early like but you'd just love to see what he'd make of it.
Even Powell and the rest of the U21's regular would be lucky to make the bench for that, let alone Januzaj right now.

Only way he is getting a shot at first team action of any sort this season is if we win the league with a few games to spare and are still in both the cups.

Seeing our recent record of taking youngsters, and given the fact that their is no major championship in the summer am nor sure he'll go on tour either.

londonredmaniac

For now it's exciting enough to see what he makes of his opportunities for the u21s.
Aye I'd agree...just be interested to see what happens is all.

I've thought the same about a few of our youngsters...last 20 minutes, at home, FA Cup, few goals up. Why not?

Obviously in the real world there are good reasons why not...at the end of the day what do I know next to the coaches and Fergie.

londonredmaniac

Even Powell and the rest of the U21's regular would be lucky to make the bench for that, let alone Januzaj right now.

Only way he is getting a shot at first team action of any sort this season is if we win the league with a few games to spare and are still in both the cups.

Seeing our recent record of taking youngsters, and given the fact that their is no major championship in the summer am nor sure he'll go on tour either.
I know that...it's just natural when you see exciting talent to wonder what they might make of a big stage.

I'd seriously doubt he'll be anywhere near the first team squad for a while yet.

Swaters16

I know that...it's just natural when you see exciting talent to wonder what they might make of a big stage.

I'd seriously doubt he'll be anywhere near the first team squad for a while yet.
Yeah he still seems a while away from any first team action but I'd love to know how he would play. If he was ready to deal with the pressure, would he thrive, etc

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
He under-performed in the FA Youth Cup tie and got a real bollocking for it.

While his skill is not in question he drifts in and out of games way too much given his ability to run a game.

His application needs sorting before I would expect to see him at first team level. The next 4 months will be interesting.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies

While his skill is not in question he drifts in and out of games way too much given his ability to run a game.

His application needs sorting before I would expect to see him at first team level. The next 4 months will be interesting.
Really? He was probably our best player on the night.

Are we talking about application in training here? Because in games he seems to apply himself just fine.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Btw today is his 18th birthday!

Interesting he got a bollocking for the FA Youth Cup match. However it's promising that he's been promoted to the U21's.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Really? He was probably our best player on the night.

Are we talking about application in training here? Because in games he seems to apply himself just fine.
Agreed, I find that very strange. Perhaps it's a testament to how talented he is and how highly the club rates him.

Mr. MUJAC

Guys...don't read so much into things...

Plenty of people at the club thought he under-performed on the night (v Burnley) and he received some pointed feedback.

My understanding is that the club rate him highly...have big expectations but he needs to step up and show what he is capable of on a more consistent basis.

Not much more to say but there is no hidden agenda here as far as I know.

Brightonian

My understanding is that the club rate him highly...have big expectations but he needs to step up and show what he is capable of on a more consistent basis.
Yep, which is basically the challenge that most talented youngsters face at his age. He's doing just fine.

lysglimt

Scout

Every single player under-performed on that night. And even if he was probably our least bad player - he wasn't good either. And I agree- he is nowhere near first team level

londonredmaniac

Every single player under-performed on that night. And even if he was probably our least bad player - he wasn't good either. And I agree- he is nowhere near first team level
Nobody is suggesting he is...I am just saying I'd be interested to see what he made of it for 20 minutes out of the blue. I wonder the same about a few players.

In all reality it wont happen, as I said, for good reason.

Keltoi

Guys...don't read so much into things...

Plenty of people at the club thought he under-performed on the night (v Burnley) and he received some pointed feedback.

Not much more to say but there is no hidden agenda here as far as I know.
Is he a future first team starter? Say in like 4/5 years?

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
I have seen him called off side whilst in the wing positions in the U21's on a few occasions, maybe he is a little laid back.

Cevno

What role was he playing in the Youth cup ? Missed that match :( and heard that he was playing wide iirc.

Tough to run games from there tbh.

Drainy

He was playing as an attacking midfielder behind Wilson, iirc. Although he did spend quite a bit of time wide to support Daehli and Barmby who were fairly poor on the night.

Thought Januzaj did well, as did Pearson but our defending and wing play was not good enough.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I personally thought he was brilliant against Burnley. Caused them all sorts of problems with his passing and dribbling and never looked too rushed. This in a game where all of Daelhi, Wilson and Barmby struggled especially Daelhi. Haven't watched too much of him this season (don't watch the U21's) but if that was him not having a good game then we've got some player on our hands. Looks like a mini David Silva

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
What role was he playing in the Youth cup ? Missed that match :( and heard that he was playing wide iirc.

Tough to run games from there tbh.
Nearly saod this myself but I culdnt remember where he played in that psrticular game. He does get shunted out wide a lot for the u21s so to say hes in and out of games too much may be a bit harsh, though he does have a touch of Berbatov in his laid back style. Think he had a free role against Burnley but soent a lot of time doubling up against both fullbacks.

Im glad that we're running such a tight operation though as these lads have to be at their best to even stand a chance.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Nearly saod this myself but I culdnt remember where he played in that psrticular game. He does get shunted out wide a lot for the u21s so to say hes in and out of games too much may be a bit harsh, though he does have a touch of Berbatov in his laid back style. Think he had a free role against Burnley but soent a lot of time doubling up against both fullbacks.

Im glad that we're running such a tight operation though as these lads have to be at their best to even stand a chance.
Don't agree with that. I've never noticed him not putting in a shift and he's aggressive both in the tackle and in the air.

londonredmaniac

It's strange. He's reminded me of Modric every now and then and I have no idea why!!

pocco

loco
Don't agree with that. I've never noticed him not putting in a shift and he's aggressive both in the tackle and in the air.
Not saying he doesnt put in a shift. Certain aspects of his game just remind me of Berbatov; the strength despite being so skinny, the fact that he never seems to sprint anywhere, the flicks and tricks he pulls off casually e.g. the backheel through ball against Burnley.

I think sometimes you just want these types of talent to stop all that and take the game by the scruff of the neck. Thats the only reasoning I could understand for the criticism he got after the FAYC game.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Not saying he doesnt put in a shift. Certain aspects of his game just remind me of Berbatov; the strength despite being so skinny, the fact that he never seems to sprint anywhere, the flicks and tricks he pulls off casually e.g. the backheel through ball against Burnley.

I think sometimes you just want these types of talent to stop all that and take the game by the scruff of the neck. Thats the only reasoning I could understand for the criticism he got after the FAYC game.
Do you expect someone like Silva to take the game by the scruff of the neck? Silva even when he is playing very well drifts in and out of games but when is in the game he produces moments of genuine quality. That's how I see Januzaj. He is not someone who has the ability to drive the whole team forward

Brightonian

Do you expect someone like Silva to take the game by the scruff of the neck? Silva even when he is playing very well drifts in and out of games but when is in the game he produces moments of genuine quality. That's how I see Januzaj. He is not someone who has the ability to drive the whole team forward
Yep, which is fine because we have players like Pearson and Daehli coming through who do that.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Daehli has actually taken the game by the scruff of the neck in the U18's this season.

Cevno

Daehli is more similar to Januzaj right now. Pereira probably has been more that sort of driver in a couple of matches.

Brightonian

For the first half of the season, it was Daehli in every match. He doesn't drift like Adnan - if he's in a game, he's running the game. The only difference more recently has been that as Pearson has continued to step it up again and again, Daehli has been needed less centrally and played a more traditional wide role, which obviously doesn't lend itself to bossing the game in that way.

EDIT: Every time we discuss these lads, I find it absurd just how much quality is squeezed into one youth team. I know you can't predict the future, especially not when it comes to talented young footballers, but if a decent handful of these lads don't make a good go of being first-teamers at some point in the future, I'll be very surprised. And very disappointed.

pocco

loco
Silva's far from perfect. He's had some real shite performances at City, he wouldn't get away with that here. See Nani.

pocco

loco
For the first half of the season, it was Daehli in every match. He doesn't drift like Adnan - if he's in a game, he's running the game. The only difference more recently has been that as Pearson has continued to step it up again and again, Daehli has been needed less centrally and played a more traditional wide role, which obviously doesn't lend itself to bossing the game in that way.

EDIT: Every time we discuss these lads, I find it absurd just how much quality is squeezed into one youth team. I know you can't predict the future, especially not when it comes to talented young footballers, but if a decent handful of these lads don't make a good go of being first-teamers at some point in the future, I'll be very surprised. And very disappointed.
Daehli seems to disappear when Januzaj is around. He has been outperformed everytime they've been on the same pitch together whenever I've seen them.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I see a potentially very influential player in Januzaj and by and large he has been dominating in the handful of games he's played at academy level this season. His influence was definitely on the up for the u21s too before Christmas and it will be interesting to see if the trend continues.

Brightonian

Daehli seems to disappear when Januzaj is around. He has been outperformed everytime they've been on the same pitch together whenever I've seen them.
How much do you watch them? I agree there've been a few where Januzaj's dominated the playmaking and Daehli's faded out a bit, but I'm sure I remember games where they've both played well. It is odd though, as I think some of Daehli's best performances have been better than some of Januzaj's. The Newcastle thrashing in particular.

Not that it really matters, I don't see it as becoming a problem if they were regulars together in a more senior team, there's nothing about their games that suggests they wouldn't suit each other.

Mr. MUJAC

No...we want him to follow instructions and team tactics.

Clearly the coaching staff don't want him to be 'casual' otherwise he wouldn't have been given a bollocking...

pocco

loco
No...we want him to follow instructions and team tactics.

Clearly the coaching staff don't want him to be 'casual' otherwise he wouldn't have been given a bollocking...
You're part of the coaching staff? I'm not in a position to say he's not following orders as I don't know what he's been asked to do. We can only comment on what we know.

I'm not sure what you think the staff have taken issue with, here. You said I'm wrong for saying he's casual at times, then you say he needs to follow tactics but then seemingly agree with my presumption that we don't want him being casual.

Status
Not open for further replies.