Adrien Rabiot | signs 1 year deal at Juventus. See you all next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Why not get Icardi and then we have the two troublesome women and a cf with racism issues too
Not a bad shout... We should go full shit-bags XI, I reckon we could get that bloke from Slavia Prague who racially abused Glen Kamara for a decent fee.

At least we can bring Greenwood back into the fold that way. :nervous:

redom

With the result yesterday and then the strong links to Arnautovic and now Rabiot I can safely say all the wind has been taken out of my sails when looking towards the new season. Rabiot will probably be somewhat useful but it just feels so uninspiring, probably more so because of the other negativity surrounding the club at the moment.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Fair enough. We'll have to agree to disagree then.

Anyway, what do actually think of Rabiot as a player? Would he suit the single pivot role that ten Hag has been playing Fred in - both on and off the ball?
Outside of last season, Rabiot is better than both Fred and McTominay in every ways possible. Rabiot's poor season, is the equivalent of a strandard season for our midfielders. Now one can wonder if he is going to go back to his previous form or if last season is the new normal. Either way, he is a better defender.

Mindhunter

Not sure about the meltdown on this thread. I could understand if he was an alternative to De Jong but it is clear that he is not. We need bodies in midfield and competition for places so that Fred and McT don’t get complacent. Since the fee is low, the risk is also low on this one.

My sense is that this is a temporary move till we find someone better on our terms. Right now clubs can see our desperation and will take us to the cleaners. I would rather have him than nobody else.

Jeffthered

Another Juve fan confirming what most people who watch him already knew. There is no way of spinning this transfer into a positive for us.
Fair point, but I think we need to be careful how perceive fans observations at times... Rabiot was a lovely player at PSG. Look at De Ligt, Dybala, Morata at Juve... all have underwhelmed, and they are not poor players, not at all.

Sometimes, as we have found out in the past, some transfers do not bring the best out players. It happens.

Speako

Lidl by Lidl the club goes spiralling down the footballing plughole.

I need to log off and head wobble back to positive energy. It's first day back after two weeks off on holidays, and hour by hour United are sending me over the proverbial...

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
No links to this guy whatsoever and now we’ve agreed a deal. Clearly shows a lack of planing and a panic buy just to get someone in the middle. We’re going downhill again! New manager same old crap! Absolute shambles of a club. We was all optimistic at the start but after the loss and now this….

Tallis

The other thing about him is that his wages are going to be high so will be virtually unsaleable after he flops in the next few months.

Jacob

Yes but the stats should actually back up the player being good, not just going off this "eye test" hullabaloo which is often a cover for whatever biases or random opinion the viewer has. You find a player, scout him, of course that's key and then stats should be a indicator. Or in reverse, the stats say this is a player to watch.

I've yet to see a Liverpool, City midfielder with appalling metrics. It just doesn't happen. One, because their sides are dominant. And two because they're bloody good players. But how do you get to being a dominant side? Well..you sign bloody good players to begin with or those with the potential to be, that show stand out metrics. You don't sign those that appear hapless and then expect them to show something else.
Stats are just stats, mate. A forward pass that is close to horizontal is also "progressive".

Hammondo

I think he would struggle in the PL tbh. One of those players that looks like he would not do well under the press and with his space taken from him.

Sviken

Not sure about the meltdown on this thread. I could understand if he was an alternative to De Jong but it is clear that he is not. We need bodies in midfield and competition for places so that Fred and McT don’t get complacent. Since the fee is low, the risk is also low on this one.

My sense is that this is a temporary move till we find someone better on our terms. Right now clubs can see our desperation and will take us to the cleaners. I would rather have him than nobody else.
We need actual starters, players who will elevate this team, not stop gaps that we will have to replace a year down the line and who aren't that much of an upgarde over what we have already.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Feels like the phase in which Liverpool were signing average midfielders like Lucas Leiva, and wingers like Downing and Babel

space

I have to respect the calmness of some posters here, especially the ones that are convinced he is not an alternative to De Jong - I have lost all faith at this point

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Right, so the player, i'm not against, I hope he does a job in a position where we're desperate for reinforcements.

But what I can't deal with is the clear lack of planning. Clearly a panic buy after yesterday.

All the faces at the top have changed but the ways of the club haven't. This all comes down to the Glazers. What is happening behind the scenes to force different people to act in the same ways? So frustrating that after what seemed a positive appointment of EtH and a breath of fresh air (I still think he's the right man, don't get me wrong), we're brought back to ground with such a thump at yesterdays result and today's news.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I have no idea. In general none of Juventus midfielders have been any good, all of them have been underwhelming.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Fair amount of Juve fans worried about his injuries and low and be hold. I swear sometimes the people working in football can be very clueless. Redcafe worried about wan bissaka's ball abilities and look at us now.
Well this is true. God knows what happened there. Absolutely fleeced.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Right, so the player, i'm not against, I hope he does a job in a position where we're desperate for reinforcements.

But what I can't deal with is the clear lack of planning. Clearly a panic buy after yesterday.

All the faces at the top have changed but the ways of the club haven't. This all comes down to the Glazers. What is happening behind the scenes to force different people to act in the same ways? So frustrating that after what seemed a positive appointment of EtH and a breath of fresh air (I still think he's the right man, don't get me wrong), we're brought back to ground with such a thump at yesterdays result and today's news.
Glazers don't want to spend much money they don't care its a cash cow for them.

We should be breaking the bank and solving the midfield with a cdm and FDJ now, even get an old RB and fix that issue.

Get the right men in the right positions the midfield and rb would solve 80% of issues

Adamsk7

To be fair to him, he’s played 30+ games a season for Juve including champions league and played relatively regularly for one of the best international teams in the world.
Holding a stat sheet of him vs McTominay does not tell the full picture - he’s levels above him in just general ability.

As a second/third midfield addition? Good business. As first choice panic? Nah

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Exactly the point I made earlier. We’ve been shafted. These morons can’t sell players due to high wages but then don’t think the same logic applies to clubs we’re buying from? Now he’s our problem that we defo won’t be able to shift. Unbelievable.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
The Anti-Glazer protests are going to ramp right up in the coming weeks

diarm

Our owners have done more to support Juventus since they arrived than they have us.

BulgarianDevil91

I'm finding it difficult to understand why people are moaning about this buy. Doubt many have actually seen him play in recent years (something of which I'm also guilty), but from what I remember during his time at PSG, he at least has a footballing brain, something which McTominay lacks.

He's not a marquee signing, he's not a top 5 in the world, but if we're actually signing him, let's at least give him a few games before disregarding his ability.

Marat

I know Rabiot since his debut, his evolution has been monitored cautiously.
He is very calm on the pitch (sometimes too much) and he manages pressure very well. His technique is beyond the rest, mixed with power due to his physicality. he can avoid tricky situations with ease, and he can do fast runs with the ball, good passes (not long range) and he is not bad when it comes to shoot. BUT, that palette is rarely visible full time during a game, and his seasons always been inconsistant. He likes to shine in big games, when he raises his level he can be among the top 3 players on the pitch (UCL, FRANCE). He his rarely injuried.

In the Man.U context he will need confidence from his manager, he is not the type of guy taking shit to be at his top. His weak point is his mental, sometimes we wonder if he really likes football (he declared that he almost never watch a game on TV so his passion must be elsewhere). I don't see him transcend himself just because he departs from Turin but maybe he can bring something more that what you already have in the midfield. In terms of power he can manage the PL that's for sure. Let's see if he regains some motivation here.

captaincantona

I have to believe the fee will be different to what is being quoted. The wages are not really the issue. That’s Juventus being idiots.

Connoisseur

Supports
Juventus
He wasn't any worse last year than he was in the previous years. I'd actually argue that the second part of last season was the best we saw at Juve. We changed from possession based, high-pressing coaches (Pirlo, Sarri) to a coach who prefers more direct counter-attacking style with a deeper defensive line so obviously his on the ball contributions like the amount of passes will go down. He also often played out of position as LM (where he was pretty bad) during the first half of last season which only further decreased the the amount of touches he had on the ball.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
We are getting rinsed. 18m for this guy whose contract is expiring in a year. I'm not one to usually complain about transfer fees but seriously?

Idxomer

Exactly the point I made earlier. We’ve been shafted. These morons can’t sell players due to high wages but then don’t think the same logic applies to clubs we’re buying from? Now he’s our problem that we defo won’t be able to shift. Unbelievable.
I said the same months ago, this guy is never worth anything more than his wages.

Don't see anyone else gamble like United in the transfer market, it's beyond stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.