Adrien Rabiot | signs 1 year deal at Juventus. See you all next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPace

I was hoping we'd sign a truly elite player, but if we got Rabiot, Mount and Amrabat in for say 80M in fees and sold Fred and McTominay for 40M, the depth and options would be really strong:

Rabiot(Mount)----Bruno(Eriksen)
-------------Casemiro(Amrabat)------

2 different style options at the #8, Eriksen off the bench as supersub, cover for Casemiro. Actual rest for Bruno. Could play 4 of them with Bruno on the right in some difficult games and Rashford left pushed up and a striker central.

Mainoldo

I was hoping we'd sign a truly elite player, but if we got Rabiot, Mount and Amrabat in for say 80M in fees and sold Fred and McTominay for 40M, the depth and options would be really strong:

2 different style options at the #8, Eriksen off the bench as supersub, cover for Casemiro. Actual rest for Bruno. Could play 4 of them with Bruno on the right in some difficult games and Rashford left pushed up and a striker central.
Amrabat is too limited to play at this level. Would be a waste of a signing. Rather a younger profile with potential to improve. Like a Lavia.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

This is my thinking too. It would transform our midfield options and we could really change things from the bench and be tactically flexible across the season.

I have a feeling this is what we'll end up with.

ForeverRed1

sell mctom, Fred, donny release sabitzer back.

buy rabiot, mount, rice.

Casemiro, rabiot, rice, mount, Bruno, Eriksen gives us a strong midfield with good depth. And versatile. Casemiro and rice for sheer defensiveness with the others being able to play anywhere in the midfield. There’s goals in that midfield too if you can get mount back at the races.

croadyman

sell mctom, Fred, donny release sabitzer back.

buy rabiot, mount, rice.

Casemiro, rabiot, rice, mount, Bruno, Eriksen gives us a strong midfield with good depth. And versatile. Casemiro and rice for sheer defensiveness with the others being able to play anywhere in the midfield. There’s goals in that midfield too if you can get mount back at the races.
No way are we signing 3 midfielders this summer,most likely Mount & Rabiot then in Jan or more likely next summer Erik focuses on finding someone to replace Casa or a DLP in the mould of De Jong

ForeverRed1

No way are we signing 3 midfielders this summer,most likely Mount & Rabiot then in Jan or more likely next summer Erik focuses on finding someone to replace Casa or a DLP in the mould of De Jong
rice and mount would cost about 150mil for both. We spent 89mil on Antony alone. 80on maguire, 89 on pogba, it’s possible.

NoPace

Amrabat is too limited to play at this level. Would be a waste of a signing. Rather a younger profile with potential to improve. Like a Lavia.
Lavia has a lot of potential on the ball but he's nowhere near ready to protect our defence as a #6. I guess Rabiot could do it, though.

But he was in the engine room starting 26 games for a team shipping the most goals in the league for a reason. There were lots of reasons, but playing a very young and inexperienced and fairly weak Lavia instead of someone bigger, stronger, defensively sharper and more experienced was a reason.

If he's going to be a #6, it might well take a long time.

Mainoldo

Lavia has a lot of potential on the ball but he's nowhere near ready to protect our defence as a #6. I guess Rabiot could do it, though.

But he was in the engine room starting 26 games for a team shipping the most goals in the league for a reason. There were lots of reasons, but playing a very young and inexperienced and fairly weak Lavia instead of someone bigger, stronger, defensively sharper and more experienced was a reason.

He’s our development player. If we didn’t have Casemiro and my caveat being buying Rabiot then all the points your mentioning would hold true.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Sure but the point is you are getting someone with big time potential for a pretty good fee that doesn't HAVE to play. He can rotate and develop while spelling Casemiro and then we aren't stuck in a year wondering what expensive DM to sign because Casemiro is showing signs of ageing. It's the most important position on the pitch, and we need to ensure we have a plan moving forward besides just crossing our fingers that our 31 year old DM can play every game.

whitbyviking

He’s our development player. If we didn’t have Casemiro and my caveat being buying Rabiot then all the points your mentioning would hold true.
Don’t we have anyone in the kids who might step up as a development?

dinostar77

I wonder if rabiot is the alternative for mount as daisal is for jae at CB. We wouldnt get both for the same position but one of the other. Personally id hope we get rabiot plus one of mount/caicedo.

Last edited:

NoPace

Sure but the point is you are getting someone with big time potential for a pretty good fee that doesn't HAVE to play. He can rotate and develop while spelling Casemiro and then we aren't stuck in a year wondering what expensive DM to sign because Casemiro is showing signs of ageing. It's the most important position on the pitch, and we need to ensure we have a plan moving forward besides just crossing our fingers that our 31 year old DM can play every game.
I agree, I just didn't see enough to suggest Lavia would even be our backup #6 next year. I think he's still kind of far from being ready to be a #6 sitting with less physical guys like Bruno, Eriksen and Mount around him. He looked closer to being a #8, so if we signed him I'd think we'd want a proper backup #6 and one of Mount or Rabiot doesn't sign. Then sure. But the 4 or 5 times I saw him this year I didn't see near enough to suggest we wouldn't be in trouble defensively with him as a #6 when Casemiro is out next year.

aeh1991

I was strongly against this move, but after I read reports of Chelsea wanting 70m for Mount, I am starting to prefer Rabiot.

OrcaFat

Mainoo is a long way off it seems.
I assume he’s not ready for regular minutes now but difficult to say how far away he is.

Very young players often improve rapidly around his age and he already had some appearances for us. He might not be a million miles away by the end of the summer (unless he’s injured still).

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If what he and his mum are after is money then I'm sure he can earn a feckton of money in Saudi League.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Sorry to disappoint you but him and his family are only interested in the money they can make, not achieving anything of note. He's better off in Saudi Arabia
Sorry to disappoint you but him and his family’s 20+ major trophies know a little more about ambition and achievements than 27k internet posts.

Red Rash

Mainoo is a long way off it seems.
I bet if he had some fancy Brazilian sounding name like Mainoldo you wouldn't be saying that

Yea he probably isn't ready for first team yet but as a youth player getting minutes here and there he should be fine

Mainoldo

I bet if he had some fancy Brazilian sounding name like Mainoldo you wouldn't be saying that

Yea he probably isn't ready for first team yet but as a youth player getting minutes here and there he should be fine
How do you mean!! I thought everyone knew he was my son!!

I feel a few minutes and probably a loan would do him well.

RuudTom83

Personally I think targets like Rabiot, Kim Min Jae and Hojlund are far more realistic and represent where United are actually looking, more than the fantasy stories of Kane/Rice.

EtH clearly doesn't fully trust McTom or Fred, so it would make sense to move those 2 on and get Rabiot in to fill the gaps in the squad.

croadyman

Personally I think targets like Rabiot, Kim Min Jae and Hojlund are far more realistic and represent where United are actually looking, more than the fantasy stories of Kane/Rice.

EtH clearly doesn't fully trust McTom or Fred, so it would make sense to move those 2 on and get Rabiot in to fill the gaps in the squad.
Yeah that definitely makes sense

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I imagine no one is going to offer what he's being paid, or more than, at Juve, otherwise you have to think he'd have accepted a move by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.