Adrien Rabiot | signs 1 year deal at Juventus. See you all next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Because he's not a dm, and is shit. I've watched Juve A LOT these past couple of years and he's not had one good performance, and doesn't play as the deepest midfielder. When Arthur has been out, their midfield has gone to absolute pot because none of them are good enough.

He was even moved to left midfield because he was so useless in the centre.
Which is actually the issue. Rabiot is a DM, he has always been and that's where he has played well and shown potential. Now it is known that he didn't want to be a DM, there is even an interview of Thiago Motta who explained that he needed some convincing.which was a shame because it was his best role.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Okay.

Makes sense if we're now going after players with a reputation (a shite reputation - but sure, at least there's some consistency there).

(Trying to find positives here - I haven't exactly followed his career very closely, but he seems serviceable as a player - so there's that. Not super old or super racist either - so why not, I guess.)

Oranges038

Because he's not a dm, and is shit. I've watched Juve A LOT these past couple of years and he's not had one good performance, and doesn't play as the deepest midfielder. When Arthur has been out, their midfield has gone to absolute pot because none of them are good enough.

He was even moved to left midfield because he was so useless in the centre.
That just sounds a lot like Pogba at Utd.

In general I think the club should just avoid French players. Like that Napoli guy, just make up some excuse like they eat too many croissants or they want too much garlic in their food and it's putting everybody else off theirs. Or we really just don't know when they are not on strike.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
As the worst version of Rabiot.
Fair enough, if he really is worse than Rabiot then he can't be very good, must have just had a purple patch for Marseille.

@OverratedOpinion a lot of clubs are more attractive than us, I was just pointing out, that if we start talking to players earlier we may start having a chance atvthese players, you never know, Ten Hag may have convinced him to join us if we had started to court him earlier, as it was Bayern got in there early and no other club had a chance.

It's an opinion I have, that talking to players a year in advanced will give you more of a chance of getting a good deal like Bayern got, unlike our deal with Rabiot.

JPRouve

Scout
Fair enough, if he really is worse than Rabiot then he can't be very good, must have just had a purple patch for Marseille.

@OverratedOpinion a lot of clubs are more attractive than us, I was just pointing out, that if we start talking to players earlier we may start having a chance atvthese players, you never know, Ten Hag may have convinced him to join us if we had started to court him earlier, as it was Bayern got in there early and no other club had a chance.

It's an opinion I have, that talking to players a year in advanced will give you more of a chance of getting a good deal like Bayern got, unlike our deal with Rabiot.
No, Rabiot has simply been a far superior player.

Castia

Is it true he's on 175k a week at Juve? because he wont come here for a pay cut will he.

Fecking hell.

spiriticon

He's played at far higher levels than they ever have though. Again, just seems like projecting our insecurities that he'll be a dud and I don't think anyone is suggesting hes going to propel us to the top 4.
Then what is the point honestly? If he isn't capable of doing the job to a high enough standard for what should be our minimum requirement, what is the point?

If he becomes a roadblock to future midfield signings because he refuses to leave his high-paying, cushy contract with us, I will really rage. We are absolutely TERRIBLE at moving on unneeded players, and this is my biggest fear with this signing.

opopop

So is our centre midfield going to be Rabiot and McTominay for the season?

Because I'm fearing/convinced McTominay is starting most of our games

OverratedOpinion

If Bayern were interested we would have just got Jon Obi Mikel/Aaron Ramsey'd

I am certain that our scouts are regularly in contact with promising talents.

Redcy

He's not shite though, that's what I don't get when people are saying this.

He's played at far higher levels than they ever have though. Again, just seems like projecting our insecurities that he'll be a dud and I don't think anyone is suggesting hes going to propel us to the top 4.

That's the only scenario I would be annoyed at this signing at really, but I don't see him being a FDJ alternative at all.
Of course he is an fdj alternative, we aren’t playing him and fdj in midfield? Who would get forward, unless we are playing rabiot as b2b, you know a position where he is generally considered worse? His defensive capability is where it’s at, for the 60% i of f games he puts in. Tielemans will be brought in as the b2b, a player who was also below average last year and whose chasing back at times was absolutely laughable.

expect to hear him and tielemans announced this week.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
If Bayern were interested we would have just got Jon Obi Mikel/Aaron Ramsey'd

I am certain that our scouts are regularly in contact with promising talents.
We'd likely not stand a chance I agree, but again, just pointing out the fee for a player that had a year left on his contract.

Bolded - I am certain we're not.

Gandalf

What’s the Rabiot fee?
18M quoted in the articles but there are also stories suggesting we have not even got as far as making a formal bid. I doubt we will offer very much at all in the circumstances but there is a chance that we inflate the fee slightly as he is probably going to have to take a pretty big pay cut to come here and so might need Juve to pay him off which they will only do if they recoup that through the fee.

JPRouve

Scout
Then what is the point honestly? If he isn't capable of doing the job to a high enough standard for what should be our minimum requirement, what is the point?

If he becomes a roadblock to future midfield signings because he refuses to leave his high-paying, cushy contract with us, I will really rage. We are absolutely TERRIBLE at moving on unneeded players, and this is my biggest fear with this signing.
You expect a single player to propel us anywhere? The point of all transfers are to bring building blocks and improve as a team. Not even De Jong will propel us to top 4, it will be a team effort and development.

Redcy

18M quoted in the articles but there are also stories suggesting we have not even got as far as making a formal bid. I doubt we will offer very much at all in the circumstances but there is a chance that we inflate the fee slightly as he is probably going to have to take a pretty big pay cut to come here and so might need Juve to pay him off which they will only do if they recoup that through the fee.
I doubt he is taking much of a pay cut coming to us?

FiiiiveTenHaaags

I think the thing we have to remember is that the best teams don’t necessarily have eleven world beaters. Liverpool have dominated many teams over the last few years with bloody Jordan Henderson. If ETH sees Rabiot’s profile of player as one that will improve the collective then I’ll back his judgement.

Hopefully we’ll also be adding a touch of class with FDJ next to him too. Add in Eriksen and that’s quite a transformation
This is my whole thought process - if ETH is happy with this let’s back him!
Had a quick look through the Juventus forum. They absolutely hate everyone in their squad it seems like apart from their shiny new toy who we all detested (Pogba)
Yeah I’ve known a few hardcore Juve lads back when I lived in Eastern Europe (as in they ran the local fan club etc) and they were fairly critical seemed to basically live in the glory era in their mind didn’t rate the contemporary players.
He won’t be as bad as people think. There is a player in there. Its the personality/panic which worries me but his stats from last year don’t do him justice. He is a much better player then Mcsauce.
Yeah I reckon ETH can handle his personality/Mum and can get a tune out of him football wise.
Despite the hysteria, I actually don't think this is a bad deal at all.
Agreed! Hysteria is what it is. People are acting like we are re signing Anderson for 60 mil
His stats are worse than Mctominay in a weaker league.
It was one bad year and their whole midf had bad Stats, that’s been covered elsewhere

Redcy

People saying this is a short term cheap fix, do realise this is a deal in the region of £45m with wages? We are not going to be able to sell him on, and once here he will be another player who will happily sit out his 5 year mega contract

Superunknown

To be honest, the club are going to get slagged off no matter what happens now.

If we buy Rabiot, we're idiots and desperate.
If we buy Neves, we're overpaying for an 'average' player. (I like him)
If we get Tielemans, we're just going for the easy option.
If we get de Jong, we're overpaying and he's only one player, and we need more.

All that I know is that the midfield we put out on Sunday simply wasn't good enough and it won't be good enough, so we are going to have to try something different. If the club thinks Rabiot can improve us, then it's worth a chance. He is only 1 signing and he won't be the reason we underperform this season, if we do.

Red-17

An international DM on the right side of 30 that is better than what we got on the cheap. Why the hell not?
As long as we don’t sign him to a long contract I’m perfectly fine with it. I don’t see why people have such big issues with shorter term signings. Everyone absolutely freaked out when we signed Cavani even though it turned out to be a good signing (up until we signed Ronaldo) for the price. The same is happening with Arnautovic. Everyone always complains about having too many passengers/deadwood, but if we are signing someone on a short term deal, that risk is not there. It also doesn’t spoil any attempt next summer to sign an upgrade.

Our real issue is we have been unable to sign a priority target either for striker or midfield for about 4 seasons now. This puts us in the situation where we have to sign these stop gaps. We missed out on Haaland a few years back, missing out on De Jong, missed on Bellingham…etc.

spiriticon

You expect a single player to propel us anywhere? The point of all transfers are to bring building blocks and improve as a team. Not even De Jong will propel us to top 4, it will be a team effort and development.
As long as he's not on a crazy wage and contract as a mere 'building block'. Then all of a sudden you have an unmovable concrete block and you can't get other pieces in.

Hearing that we are going to pay 18M for him when Juve are prepared to let him go for free is not filling me with confidence about the way this is being handled. I don't know how much we are apparently offering him either but it better not be 150k per week or more.

tjb

I'm ok with this.

We really need a midfielder and getting one who has been decent with something to prove is good.

Yesterday we also saw Eriksen play deeper and if that means that we stay within budget, have a good midfield that allows our attackers to play, I'm all for it.

People dont seem to understand how bad our midfield is, how far it has let us down over years and how important it is for us to actually compete. If we can get even one midfielder that would completely relegate Mctominay from the starting 11

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
I wonder how many red cards he'll get in the PL

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Which is actually the issue. Rabiot is a DM, he has always been and that's where he has played well and shown potential. Now it is known that he didn't want to be a DM, there is even an interview of Thiago Motta who explained that he needed some convincing.which was a shame because it was his best role.
Emery also said the same.

Emery was speaking to Marti Perarnau, the author of “Pep Confidential” and “Pep Guardiola: The Evolution”, on his time at PSG and the interview has been translated by Get French Football News .

Emery said: “Let’s talk about Rabiot. He’s a central midfielder, who is more comfortable playing as a defensive midfielder rather than a creative one. Even if he remains more of box-to-box, rather than a defensive midfielder.

“When you want to play with a defensive, creative and box-to-box-midfielders in fixed positions, Rabiot finds himself confronted to a problem. He has to run, run, run and not play in a fixed position statically. And even less so with his back turned on the action.

“Rabiot doesn’t really like playing as a defensive midfielder, he likes playing as a box-to-box, but I prefer him as a defensive midfielder. That’s why after the elimination against Real Madrid [in the 2017/18 Champions League], I told him he would play as a defensive midfielder.

“In that position, he can be faced with play and switch around with [Marco] Verratti. He is more competitive in these conditions. With certain players, you can’t impose a strict idea. You have to adapt yourself to their characteristics in order to win in individual and collective competitiveness.”

Josep Dowling

I doubt he is taking much of a pay cut coming to us?
He will probably be earning £250k a week, then in 18 months when we realise just how shit he is we won’t be able to shift him. Loan him to Napoli whilst paying half his wages.

Rinse and repeat.

JPRouve

Scout
As long as he's not on a crazy wage and contract as a mere 'building block'. Then all of a sudden you have an unmovable concrete block and you can't get other pieces in.

Hearing that we are going to pay 18M for him when Juve are prepared to let him go for free is not filling me with confidence about the way this is being handled. I don't know how much we are apparently offering him either but it better not be 150k per week or more.
I totally agree with that, the terms are important. Until proven otherwise Rabiot is a squad player for a good to very good team. If he doesn't want PL squad player money, you let him try to fleece someone else.

Kill3r7

Could be a useful addition just from a competition standpoint. Hopefully we still get FDJ.

Superunknown

I totally agree with that, the terms are important. Until proven otherwise Rabiot is a squad player for a good to very good team. If he doesn't want PL squad player money, you let him try to fleece someone else.
This is completely fair and where I stand, too.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality

All that I know is that the midfield we put out on Sunday simply wasn't good enough and it won't be good enough, so we are going to have to try something different. If the club thinks Rabiot can improve us, then it's worth a chance. He is only 1 signing and he won't be the reason we underperform this season, if we do.
I'd have Tielemans and potentially Neves if we FDJ wasn't happening, its clear Fred and McTominay needed to go long ago.

JPRouve

Scout
Emery also said the same.
Exactly that's why I said that in theory Eriksen and Rabiot should work, as long as Eriksen is clearly the distributor. On paper he fits the running CM, that ETH likes but that's only on paper.

buckooo1978

Right trying to fully get my head round the reaction to this....

its obviously a bit last minute and reactionary. It shows a lack of planning which has been obvious in our lack of productivity this window.

It is what it is though. We cant turn back time on the ineptitude of our dealings so far.

The Glazers havent provided anywhere near enough funds I feel given how frugal we've been.

on the player himself though I was a fan of him at PSG and he impressed me for France. I havent followed his career at Juve at all though.

Are there footballing reasons why this is a really bad deal. Juve might be motivated with his contract situation but is he that bad. Reading some of the comments it feels like we are signing a journeyman from League one. Is he that bad these days? Sanchez mark 2 and people are saying we are heading for relegation

Given the context of whats going on will this signing not help Ten Hag? Im guessing he has endorsed it

Aint gota Kalou

How did he compare to Bentancur in the Juve midfield? I remember Bentancur was slated and Conte seems to have done well with him.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
That's the only scenario I would be annoyed at this signing at really, but I don't see him being a FDJ alternative at all.
He won't be coming to sit on our bench all season while De Jong plays. (Neither will we bench 4 of McTominay, Fred, VDB, Bruno, Eriksen each week). He's the alternative.

Castia

I think Rabiot for 15m at the start of the summer with the view to adding a second midfielder before the deadline would have been acceptable

3 months into the window and we're now bidding for a player who's been on the transfer list since the start of June is a joke. Some reports suggesting he's our FdJ alternative :lol:

Rabiot Fred
Rabiot McTominay

Not getting top 4 is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.