Adrien Rabiot | signs 1 year deal at Juventus. See you all next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh 76

If Rabiot comes in he will likely play a more defensive role, the role that Fred and Mctominay have shown over and over again that they are completely incapable of playing. The fact that he's comfortable in that role is already a big improvement even if you don't think he's more talented or whatever than McFred as it's very clear neither of them can play effectively deep in midfield.

Even if we don't get FDJ he will massively help stabilize the middle for us. He won't solve all of our problems in the midfield but I don't think that's the idea anyway, it sounds like we're signing him in addition to FDJ/SMS/whoever.
Good post

redcucumber

Yeah he played because Martial was injured and Ronaldo wasn’t match fit. Nothing to do with getting use to players
And Garner wasn't match fit either. Rashford and Bruno have played up top more than Eriksen has

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
The main problem with a lot of current (and recent, former) Juve players is them being passengers, not Allegri. Rabiot is just another one: gifted, hard working and eager to contribute, yet ineffective. There is no hidden secret behind our current sh*t predicament, such to imply that Allegri is killing any player he works with. When a club asks you to win every fecking game, pressure is high… you just run with it or crumble. Would Rabiot fare better at United, where pressure nowadays is even bigger than at Juventus?

Superden

That very same italian football expert on Sky (Mina Rzouki or something) claimed that she didn't see the point in Liverpool signing Salah and that he was basically Cuadrado with no end product. So.... yeah.

If you actually want to compare, then just check out their actual analytics. Ignore last season as we wouldn't be signing him for what he did last season, but anticipating him to return to what he was before that. Compare that to McTominay before last season since that was disaster for us as well.
  • Rabiot is 76th percentile for total passes completed, McTominay is 57th
  • Rabiot is 98th percentile for pass success, McTominay is 76th (Rabiot 54th when it comes to progressive passes, McTominay is 65th)
  • Rabiot in the 88th percentile for tackles, McTominay in the 44th percentile
  • Rabiot in the 90th percentile for dribblers tackled, McTominay in the 47th percentile
  • Rabiot in the 72nd percentile for successful pressures, McTominay in the 28th percentile
  • Rabiot 70th percentile for touches, McTominay 59th percentile
  • Rabiot in 60th and 55th percentile for being dispossessed and miscontrols, McTominay 17th and 29th percentile
  • Above point especially relevant when you consider that Rabiot carries the ball far more than McTominay (76th in progressive carries, 83rd for carries into the final 3rd, 79th for carries into the penalty area. McTominay is 67/66/64 for those, while giving it away constantly unlike Rabiot)
Rabiot is just a vastly superior footballer. He is secure on the ball, he is a good runner with it, he is good technically, he is actually good defensively instead of carrying the illusion of being useful defensively like McTominay who does a lot of nothing defensively.

Again, he wouldn't be the deep playmaker. He would keep things safe, he wouldn't give it away stupidly, pointless, constantly (what Fred and McTominay repeatedly did on the weekend and the last few years). That's what we need out of the defensive partner to the deep playmaker. Of course, we also need the deep playmaker, hence the pursuit for Frenkie. But even if it's Fred next to Rabiot, it's still a massive improvement. Or Eriksen next to Rabiot. Massive improvement. At this point... just be happy we are signing a midfielder whose best qualities are to do with defending and not giving it away constantly.

Also to add - if you look at his time at PSG when he actually played as the DM and not just a defensive #8, his passing stats were excellent. 90's for progressive passes, total passes, etc. Analytics wise looks like a world class DM according to his PSG time as a DM, but of course it's an easier league, more dominant team, different role/system. But he has shown a high level playing deep before, and at Juve showed still good defensive numbers, but just stopped being progressive with his passing (again, might be system though). He's a player who has shown a high level in things we lack at 2 clubs in 2 leagues. One way or another, he's a massive upgrade on McTominay.
wheres that stat for how far the ball balloons away after the first touch, ahem Fred, or how many times you hide behind the opposition midfielder so your not an option to receive the ball (mcT)...

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Positionally he played pretty much 50/50 as a #6 and a #8 during his time at PSG. He has played a lot more as a #8 for Juve, but they play a very different system/style where his role there wouldn't translate directly to how he would be used under Ten Hag.
You look at his analytics, year after year, and his profile says:
  • little to no goal threat
  • unadventurous passing
  • Safe and high completion passing (90's percentile)
  • Strong defensive stats, very strong pressures, tackles, interceptions, etc (70's, 80's, 90's percentiles)
  • Strong ball carrying stats (this kind of fell last season at 60's percentile on average, but prior to last season was very strong, 80's percentile)
  • Most of his years he had more touches in deeper positions than in advanced positions (of the 5 seasons on FBRef, only in 2019/20 did he have fewer touches in his defensive third then in the midfield or attacking thirds)
  • Decent at not giving the ball away with miscontrols or being dispossessed, a very important attribute for a DM (but vastly improved on Pogba/Fred/McTominay who are all stupidly low ranking in this)
See for yourself:
https://fbref.com/en/players/8794e251/scout/11222/Adrien-Rabiot-Scouting-Report
Everything about his analytics profile says he's a defensive minded player. He's not a creator, he's not a ball progressor, but either he's a defensive #8, or just a #6 who can carry the ball well. Either way, fits a pretty obvious hole in our squad, both in terms of what he'd bring defensively, but also his ability to move with the ball and not get dispossessed or miscontrol the ball constantly.
Good post, thanks for this.

Fearthegrimp

The optimism for this season has drained away quicker than it did last season. These lengthy transfer sagas are sapping away any optimism I had for the first month of the season. We shouldn't be in this position at this stage of the season, it's beyond a joke.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
He earned 7 M after taxes, but that was because most players joining Italy since 2019 had some tax cuts that made it possible. See for exemple De Ligt making higher net wage than Dybala from a lower gross wage.

That 400k was never true. Just a myth invented by some random London-centered propaganda to explain how a player could leave the mighty Arsenal for a lesser club in a lesser league.
That’s it, but this forum is way too big and emotional to have something like facts stick… it just takes two hours, another wave of posters from wherever they are, and the meme-mentality myths submerge facts again.

dinostar77

Can’t see us spending the money needed for SMS, and no actual links or even suggestion of links
Have a look in the SMS thread. Sounds like Utd have sounded out his agents to discover the lay of the land and will wait to see if frenkie is completely off the table.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
wheres that stat for how far the ball balloons away after the first touch, ahem Fred, or how many times you hide behind the opposition midfielder so your not an option to receive the ball (mcT)...
Probably the miscontrols and being dispossessed!

dinostar77

The problem is that Rabiot is not a very good player. Juventus fans are literally laughing at us for wanting him. It would be like Bayern bidding for McTominay sort of thing
The way allegri played and used rabiot will be very different to the way ETH would play and use him.

ddg01

So if reports are to be believed, Rabiot wants more money than Juve are paying Pogba, who they signed on a free. I’m not an expert but surely at the absolute max he should be paid is circa £80k/week. We need to stop this overpaying wages which essentially then deems the payer (asset) worthless.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Yeah, that's fair enough as I've said. Was about @antohan's post where he's said that fathers as agents are bad news half the time and mothers as agents are bad news all the time.
Family rarely works well at all, agreed.

As for mums, it's not a gender issue, it's an involved/invested mum issue. I've never ever heard of a player's mum except in the context of creating trouble. Never, agent or not.

Dads can be just as bad, but it's 50-50. They can be a lot more emotionally detached in a way mums aren't.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
do you think his mum being his agent makes it weird between them when they’re making love?

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
The way allegri played and used rabiot will be very different to the way ETH would play and use him.
This is a myth… if one, Allegri as a men manager knows his sh*t and characters waaaay more than a nerd like ETH.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This is a myth… if one, Allegri as a men manager knows his sh*t and characters waaaay more than a nerd like ETH.
Which has nothing to do with how a manager will use a player tactically or set his team.

Telsim

The new Pogba. Mercenary French midfielder, from Juventus no less, that's clearly talented but definitely has attitude and consistency issues, on an insane salary, with a devil agent. I don't understand, is it written in stone somewhere that we must have this kind of player in the squad lest misfortune befall the club?

dinostar77

Allegri doesnt play a high pressing possession based football like ETH does. Different philosophy and coaching with same player can yield different results and performances.

bosnian_red

Yah cause Allegri clearly used Kulusevski or Bentancur to the best of their abilities...

bosnian_red

I was very against this at first but the more I looked into him properly and read about opinions worth reading about... I think he'd be a very smart signing. Would be a massive improvement on our midfield.

We need more, we still need a deep playmaker of course, but who knows, maybe Eriksen can be that and we use Rabiot and Fred as a defensive and attacking box to box. Would be a midfield where we finally have a good defensive work rate and can win the ball back, Fred is good at link up play in the final 3rd (just not good at getting the ball from the defensive third up to the final third, that's what Eriksen would be for). Would give a stronger base for the front 3 to do their thing and less responsibility defensively as obviously that's a weakness for all of them.

So hopefully it happens. No idea what else will happen this window, but if we got Rabiot and Morata even, I'd be relatively happy as I feel like Ten Hag would be able to implement his system more normally then. We can't shop in a top market anymore, but these could help us stabilize.

JPRouve

Scout
The new Pogba. Mercenary French midfielder, from Juventus no less, that's clearly talented but definitely has attitude and consistency issues, on an insane salary, with a devil agent. I don't understand, is it written in stone somewhere that we must have this kind of player in the squad lest misfortune befall the club?
I like these descriptions, mercenary french midfielder. Both of them have played for two clubs in their careers.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Yah cause Allegri clearly used Kulusevski or Bentancur to the best of their abilities...
They do not have to win anything at Tottenham to be considered successful… you can see the difference in terms of pressure.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
They do not have to win anything at Tottenham to be considered successful… you can see the difference in terms of pressure.
This Juventus side won’t be winning anything for a while either, to be fair.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
do you think his mum being his agent makes it weird between them when they’re making love?
Can't speak for anyone else (including Rabbit or whatshisface), but in my experience, it would make it less weird.

I used to make love to my mum all the time - and, to be honest, it was weird.

But when she hired me - formally - as a "combat advisor" (she was trying to take over a small Asian country at the time), things improved between us: something about keeping matters professional (or business like, if you will) just...works.

(After that - well, the story is a hackneyed one, I guess: but, yes, I did kill her and tried to impersonate her, but it didn't work.)

SirScholes

Not really the key ones for me being passes and chances created, you can ignore the goals if you like.

Less passes and possessions won than Scotty McFingerbang sign him up!

He's not even a pure DM so the defensive stats shouldn't matter.
You understand that more passes is a weird stat as well
Mctom gets it off one defender and passes it to the next, he could pass it 10 times and it probably wouldn’t get past the half way line
Rabiot may be moving it forward in less passes
If he’s a DM he is less likely to be creating chances
All bollocks really

It’s ifs and buts, just trying to show how these stats mean little unless you have a full scout report and have watched hours of game footage

JPRouve

Scout
Parent as an agent just screams of "this will get complicated/expensive.
Mainly because for some strange reason, clubs and journalists are more willing to share how much these parents asked than how much they are forced to pay to the likes of Mendes, Raiola or Barnett with which deals aren't exactly easy, straightforward or inexpensive.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Mainly because for some strange reason, clubs and journalists are more willing to share how much these parents asked than how much they are forced to pay to the likes of Mendes, Raiola or Barnett with which deals aren't exactly easy, straightforward or inexpensive.
It’s because by screwing the agent who’s a parent, you’re usually only risking a relationship with 1 player.

Contrast that with someone like Mendes who probably has over a 100 players signed to his agency.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I know she can be a handful, but I also feel like Rabiot's mother gets the ire of some deep, repressed mother issues from people.

JPRouve

Scout
It’s because by screwing the agent who’s a parent, you’re usually only risking a relationship with 1 player.

Contrast that with someone like Mendes who probably has over a 100 players signed to his agency.
Which implies that the issue is with a potential lack of integrity from clubs. They only act properly if they have something to lose.

Sviken

Do we need another overpaid prima donna whose marginally better than what we have and who we'll be looking to ship in a season or two? This signing doesn't excite me. For god's sakes, we have McFred in midfield, surely there are dozens of players who can do a far better job than them at a fraction of the price and no outside hassle...

Grande

Do we need another overpaid prima donna whose marginally better than what we have and who we'll be looking to ship in a season or two? This signing doesn't excite me. For god's sakes, we have McFred in midfield, surely there are dozens of players who can do a far better job than them at a fraction of the price and no outside hassle...
1. No. 2. oK.3. Who? 4. What is this hassle you refer to - busted myths or something you know for real?

Status
Not open for further replies.