AFCON 2023 / 2024

The Original

The worse thing that can happen is that Peseiro stays on after a trophy win. He should be thanked for... whatever he has been doing, and should be moved on. Get someone more serious in for the WC qualifiers
I'd keep him if he wins it. He's obviously doing something right.

maurinho

Supports
FC Porto
Tense game. Hope Angola can pull the upset

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The worse thing that can happen is that Peseiro stays on after a trophy win. He should be thanked for... whatever he has been doing, and should be moved on. Get someone more serious in for the WC qualifiers
Don’t know much about Peseiro adex, but this is probably the most “united” (not mufc as mine is meant as a compliment :lol:) and hard working I’ve seen the eagles in a long time. Why do you dislike him?

maurinho

Supports
FC Porto
Goodbye Angola. Think anyone will find it hard to stop this Nigerian side. Barely looked like conceding in their last few games.
They have the strongest squad by far.

Peseiro is a meme coach over here in Portugal for how mediocre he is, so you never know

MrWilliams

I agree. Get someone better to build on from here. Need someone with a sharper tactical eye.

Don’t know much about Peseiro adex, but this is probably the most “united” (not mufc as mine is meant as a compliment :lol:) and hard working I’ve seen the eagles in a long time. Why do you dislike him?
Peseiro’s in game management leaves a lot to be desired. He’s slow with subs and often subs the wrong players in at the wrong time.

No reason for Joe Aribo to be subbed into a match you’re trying to see out when Onyedika, a proper DM, is there

Reactions: Rood

The Original

I agree. Get someone better to build on from here. Need someone with a sharper tactical eye.

Peseiro’s in game management leaves a lot to be desired. He’s slow with subs and often subs the wrong players in at the wrong time.

No reason for Joe Aribo to be subbed into a match you’re trying to see out when Onyedika, a proper DM, is there
Some of his game management wasn't great - Osimhen could barely move from the 75th minute or so but subbing Aribo for Iwobi was the correct option. He brought on Alhassan Yusuf already to play alongside Onyeka so that was two DM's. He also brought on an extra centre-back. Absolutely no need for a third DM. Aribo was brought on as a like-for-like to provide composure on the ball with Iwobi tiring.

The Original

Peseiro is a meme coach over here in Portugal for how mediocre he is, so you never know
The Nigerian FA stated they would have liked to fire him before the tournament but had to keep him because it would cost too much.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Thanks both. Like I said I don’t know much about him and haven’t followed afcon qualifiers as closely but I am impressed by Nigeria. Their work rate etc especially - before we even go into their individual quality. They seem the team to beat.

Sara125

NIGERIA NO DEY CARRY LAST :drool:

Honestly, this is the first time I can say with confidence that we actually look like winning something :lol:

MrWilliams

… but subbing Aribo for Iwobi was the correct option. He brought on Alhassan Yusuf already to play alongside Onyeka so that was two DM's. He also brought on an extra centre-back. Absolutely no need for a third DM. Aribo was brought on as a like-for-like to provide composure on the ball with Iwobi tiring.
I disagree with the Aribo option. He brought on Yusuf for Iwobi which was fine. Aribo has no business playing in such a tense game, he’s very shaky. I think Yusuf and Onyeka were fine. Onyedika is actually a MF, Aribo is not

The Nigerian FA stated they would have liked to fire him before the tournament but had to keep him because it would cost too much.
I still think we should let him go after this tournament. The results prior to this AFCON were very poor and he insisted to set up the team in that porous 442 even when a blind man could see we’d be better off with a back 3 based on our personnel. There’s also his lack of player/formation rotation for friendlies and dead rubber matches.

Now that we’ve moved to 3 ATB, we’ve looked much more solid in the back and have a much better shape. But it shouldn’t have taken until a major tournament to change this.

Glorio

They actually stated this? :lol:
4D Chess from the Nigerian FA to get the coach to "unleash his max potential"

INEOS, watch and learn!

Supports
Barcelona
Ivory Coast equalized in the 90th min. while being a man down.

Extra-time to follow.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
There was at least 1 Red in the aftermath

Such a crazy end that the goalscorer getting sent off for his celebration barely even registered

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Mental ending. Love this tournament.

Fergies Gum

Shameful scenes. Some significant suspensions need to be issued after this.

darko

Playing with an extra man for seventy-five plus minutes and going up 1-0, Mali blew it. They should find a very large mirror and yell at themselves. A big choke job.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Ivory coast have used up another life

Ish

Lights on for Luke
This is africa :lol:

Mali has no one to blame but themselves. Played like cowards against the 10 men of Ivory Coast. No intensity. Well done to the host nation. Not sure how they’re still in this tournament.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Surprised he only gave out 1 red for all that

I don't even know what Mali were moaning about? Blowing the whistle too early ?

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Surprised he only gave out 1 red for all that

I don't even know what Mali were moaning about? Blowing the whistle too early ?
They won a corner and he blew for FT.

Do hate it when refs do that tbf.