AFCON 2023 / 2024

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
So AFCON kicks off tomorrow - did not find any other thread so here are the basics:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Africa_Cup_of_Nations
https://www.cafonline.com/caf-africa-cup-of-nations/afcon-matches/

Weirdly this tournament is officially called AFCON/CAN 2023, eventhough it takes place entirely in 2024!
It was originally supposed to happen last summer

We will have a couple of players there in Amrabat and Onana (TBC) - Hannibal chose not to go

Favourites are Morocco (WC semi finalists), Senegal (reigning champs) and Ivory Coast (hosts)

BBC showing 10 matches live, the rest on Sky https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67948391

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Asia Cup also starts today but seems not much interest for that either despite our many Asian Caftards - I dont know if any of this is even broadcast in UK

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Thread guidelines/tips/random facts:

1. Obligatory comment about how "poor quality" the football is, and why should this happen every 2 years distracting humans from more important events in Europe. Expect this to appear at least once every 100 posts

2. Write Egypt off at your own peril. Ask past African favorites how that went for them.

3. Up until a few days ago, CAF (Africa's version of UEFA) gave broadcasting rights for Africa to an unknown broadcaster in Togo, which sounds insignificant until you realize this shut out Multichoice and Supersport, the medium through which the VAST majority of Africans consume sport. That's been fixed now, but typical CAF

4. The next World Cup will see 9 African nations, so this tournament, apart from being a legitimate prize in it's own right, is an early indicator of what teams are prepared for the qualification gauntlet (which has already started). North African favorites look good. So do Senegal. Nigeria...

I'll be going to a few games in the group stage (and maybe beyond).

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Cool - which games?

How much are tickets out of interest?

I'll be in Morocco for some of the games so looking forward to watching in local cafes with some atmosphere

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'm going to back the hosts to win this one.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Love the AFCON. They put it on the bbc 20 ofd years ago and have had an interest ever since.

My ten pound on Nigeria and Five pound each way on Mali is a guaranteed winner.

Anyone expecting Morocco to flop? Usually happens when a team comes into a tournament on high expectations.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
My team Kenya isnt there :(
Don't mean to lay it on you, but Kenya has only qualified twice for the tournament in the past... 30 years :eek:

While we're on the topic, what is up with East African football? I can't recall of 1 great team from the region in recent years. Forget North or West Africa... Even Southern Africa has had a few good teams from Zambia and South Africa.

Cool - which games?

How much are tickets out of interest?

I'll be in Morocco for some of the games so looking forward to watching in local cafes with some atmosphere
Ivory Coast - Nigeria is the main one. Abidjan has 2 stadiums so depending on my mood I may pop into any games that seem interesting

Tickets? No fecking clue. I've not seen any reliable online ticket retailers. Another "You're in Africa" moment. I'll have to rely on a local contact to sort me out.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Love the AFCON. They put it on the bbc 20 ofd years ago and have had an interest ever since.

Anyone expecting Morocco to flop? Usually happens when a team comes into a tournament on high expectations.
Due to several match cancellations Morocco have only played 2 competitive games since their World Cup run over a year ago - 1 win, 1 loss

They have played several friendlies though with varying results and most of the major names from the World Cup are in the squad

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Ivory Coast - Nigeria is the main one. Abidjan has 2 stadiums so depending on my mood I may pop into any games that seem interesting

Tickets? No fecking clue. I've not seen any reliable online ticket retailers. Another "You're in Africa" moment. I'll have to rely on a local contact to sort me out.
Thats a proper heavyweight clash, must be the biggest game of the group stage

having been to some matches in Africa, I totally understand !

jadaba

Thread guidelines/tips/random facts:

1. Obligatory comment about how "poor quality" the football is, and why should this happen every 2 years distracting humans from more important events in Europe. Expect this to appear at least once every 100 posts

2. Write Egypt off at your own peril. Ask past African favorites how that went for them.

3. Up until a few days ago, CAF (Africa's version of UEFA) gave broadcasting rights for Africa to an unknown broadcaster in Togo, which sounds insignificant until you realize this shut out Multichoice and Supersport, the medium through which the VAST majority of Africans consume sport. That's been fixed now, but typical CAF

4. The next World Cup will see 9 African nations, so this tournament, apart from being a legitimate prize in it's own right, is an early indicator of what teams are prepared for the qualification gauntlet (which has already started). North African favorites look good. So do Senegal. Nigeria...

Underestimating Egypt at AFCON is like underestimating Sevilla in the Europa League. Regardless of form, Egypt's hold over the tournament is a powerful thing. I haven't watched much of them recently but Rui Vitoria's record since becoming manager is superb.

Either way there's a lot of pretty equal genuine contenders and so much quality sprinkled across the teams. Groups B & C especially look great, I'm buzzing for this.

Lexicon Red Devil

Probably my favourite international tournament these days. Even the low scoring games provide entertainment. The Tunisia vs Mali game last time when the ref blew for full time too early twice was one such example. The fact that they tried to bring the players out again 40 minutes later just added to the drama.

Hoping for a good showing from the hosts. Far from their best team in terms of star names, but still a strong collective. Shame it came too soon for Amad, but I'm sure his time will come.

Reactions: Rood

the_cliff

I think Egypt will take this one tbh.

Between Egypt and Ivory Coast for me.

Team to look out for is probably Nigeria, can either finally click for them or go terribly wrong. Their recent results have been terrible and expectations for them are at an all time low but anything can happen in tournament football.

Patchbeard

Based on the last tournament I'm going to be trying to make a quick buck on under 1.5 goals in all if the first round of games... it happened in 11 out of the 12 opening round games!

Think the format is partly to blame for that, as with 16 of 24 teams qualifying for the knockouts 4 pts pretty much guarantees qualification, so there's a bigger incentive to just not lose the opening game rather than trying to win it.

the_cliff

Based on the last tournament I'm going to be trying to make a quick buck on under 1.5 goals in all if the first round of games... it happened in 11 out of the 12 opening round games!

Think the format is partly to blame for that, as with 16 of 24 teams qualifying for the knockouts 4 pts pretty much guarantees qualification, so there's a bigger incentive to just not lose the opening game rather than trying to win it.
The pitches in Ivory Coast do look a lot better than Cameroon last time around. That might help in the goals department.

But the majority of the smaller nations in Africa do make it hard for teams to score and even some bigger nations (Tunisia, Senegal, Egypt) don't score much.

Ludens the Red

Nigeria won’t get close. Despite having the most talented squad as per these players just never perform for Nigeria. I just never get the feeling it means as much to them as it does some other African countries players.

E-mal

This is the worst Nigeria team I have ever watched. They appear as though they are forced to be at this tournament. They lack desire and initiative, the manager also clueless

E-mal

Osimehen clearly showing how his game has dropped this season and Iwobi running as though he got a heavy weight tied to his bum

CallyRed

Can't believe how poor the football is and how bad is it that it interrupts the great continent of Europe.
Also, just watching Egypt now, I am going to write them off this tournament. Even if it is at my peril.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Can't believe how poor the football is and how bad is it that it interrupts the great continent of Europe.
Also, just watching Egypt now, I am going to write them off this tournament. Even if it is at my peril.
Yeah Egypt are poor these days

MrWilliams

Do people even understand why AFCON is usually in Jan/Feb?

Supports
Chelsea
Its the same Egypt we saw last year. Horrific football and their best player invisible for the vast majority.

Edit: Given a pen last minute now

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
:lol: I figured someone would bite.

the_cliff

Quite a few shocks today.
Nigeria drawing to Equatorial Guinea (not really a surprise tbh).
Egypt drawing to Mozambique and Ghana losing to Cape Verde. Egypt/Ghana group is wide open now both play each other on Thursday.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
The coverage earlier was shocking. A large part of the Senegal match wasn’t broadcast due to a technical error.

the_cliff

Algeria or Ivory Coast to win it for me.
No way, we have an ageing side and haven't looked good at all recently. Mahrez has been absolutely dire for the national team since his move to Saudi and Bennacer has just got back from an acl, not expecting much from us this afcon. I do agree with you about Ivory Coast though.

On another note that Lamine Camara for Senegal looks a player.

MrWilliams

Still early in the group stage but far more goals than the last AFCON. Some good football on display, too

Last edited:

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Terrible match so far, Cameroon v Guinne. So many stoppages, every 30 seconds there is a foul

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
No way, we have an ageing side and haven't looked good at all recently. Mahrez has been absolutely dire for the national team since his move to Saudi and Bennacer has just got back from an acl, not expecting much from us this afcon. I do agree with you about Ivory Coast though.

On another note that Lamine Camara for Senegal looks a player.
Uneaten in the last 13 games though.