AFCON 2023 / 2024

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I've been on ground in Abidjan for a week. The ticket touting is insane.
What kind of face value and mark up?

Most matches don't look full but obviously the Ivory Coast v Nigeria match up is going to be massive

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Heard of many driving from Morocco to Ivory Coast for the tournament but this is dedication!

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
What kind of face value and mark up?

Most matches don't look full but obviously the Ivory Coast v Nigeria match up is going to be massive
2000 cfa face value vs 30000 cfa on the black market

They're hoarding tickets of matches that aren't even full. Makes no sense.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
2 decent games today. The coast vs Nigeria and Egypt vs Ghana. The games so far have been boring.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Equatorial Guinea have put significant pressure on Nigeria to win today.

adexkola

Supports
I really hope Cote D'ivoire crashes out as soon as possible in the most hilarious way.

This is not related to the nonsense I've had to put up with in Abidjan so far. I'm not that petty.

USREDEVIL

You aren't the centre of the universe you pleb, but you are from the US so you probably think you are.
You don't know me so keep your trap shut. My comment was only that our main goalie is missing United games for a tournie which doesnt seem very high profile. It's not the world cup. I then said if an american player did that for the gold cup i'd be saying the same thing. Don't take it so seriously ffs. I'm sure you can't wait to have a go against a yank, so well done.

DJ_21

The quality of standards in these AFCON games are a shambles. Can’t string a pass together.

adexkola

Supports
This is the best I've seen Nigeria play for a while tbh.
Agreed, and yet I still feel the team is being held back by coaching

This is the preamble for a rant about how African football is the playground for wannabe coaches who have either failed in Europe and get roles based on their nationality, or are local favorites of the president/football authority, and as a result the average level of football on the continent resembles a cover band of Otto's 2004 Greece

the_cliff

This is the preamble for a rant about how African football is the playground for wannabe coaches who have either failed in Europe and get roles based on their nationality, or are local favorites of the president/football authority, and as a result the average level of football on the continent resembles a cover band of Otto's 2004 Greece
I totally agree with you there. I do think that sentiment is changing however, especially with the recent success of local coaches, the last 2 afcons were won by local coaches and Morocco's performances in the world cup as well.

DJ_21

Ivory Coast have been shocking. Don’t get why they changed from the 4-3-3 to a weird formation.

the_cliff

Nigeria have wasted so many chances to punish Ivory Coast on the counter.

rooney2009

Come on the Super Eagles of Nigeria
Upwards and onwards
This should qualify Nigeria for the next round

rooney2009

Supporting Nigeria Super Eagles has so much similarities to being a Utd Fan
Fallen Giants that are trying to regain past glories
Always under pressure and we just have to enjoy the wins as we suffer more than we win.and the football isn’t great either.

GlasgowCeltic

could’ve been a comfortable win if Iwobi had pulled off some more sexy penetration passes

Ludens the Red

Thread guidelines/tips/random facts:

1. Obligatory comment about how "poor quality" the football is, and why should this happen every 2 years distracting humans from more important events in Europe. Expect this to appear at least once every 100 posts
We’ve got some live ones :lol:

The quality of standards in these AFCON games are a shambles. Can’t string a pass together.

This has to be the most boring tournament in the whole of football.
Dreadful brand of football across the board

MrWilliams

Only two matches below 1.5 goals. Quite a number of goals so far in this AFCON.

I’ve been enjoying this tourney very much.

MrWilliams

JP has done very well with his selection in the first two matches. His bigger fault, however, was in his stubbornness on insisting with the 442 when we didn’t have the right personnel.

Tried to over load the team with strikers at the expense of our midfield. The fact we only came to this AFCON with 5 midfielders is criminal.

JP didn’t experiment with formations enough in the games leading up to this tourney. If he did, we’d have moved to a 433 or 352 long before today.

Need to have at minimum, 7 midfielders going into tourneys.

I totally agree with you there. I do think that sentiment is changing however, especially with the recent success of local coaches, the last 2 afcons were won by local coaches and Morocco's performances in the world cup as well.
100%. Algeria, Senegal and Morocco are leading the way with local coaches.

DJ_21

Even Salahs had enough. Tbf if I was in his shoes I’d want to go out as quickly as possible and help my team try and win a league.