g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

AFCON 2023 / 2024

the_cliff

Algeria are purring
Their no 8 looks like quite a player
Until a moment of stupidity to give a gift to Angola. Algeria always play decent football but are the international equivalent of Arsenal, no mentality and personality.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
This has to be the most boring tournament in the whole of football.

USREDEVIL

I didnt wanna have a go at the African Cup or whatever, but who give a feck? Onana should just stay in Manchester. I mean i don't really care that much since he aint that great but wtf.

the_cliff

I didnt wanna have a go at the African Cup or whatever, but who give a feck? Onana should just stay in Manchester. I mean i don't really care that much since he aint that great but wtf.
Hmm probably Africans...
Similar to how nobody other than North Americans give a feck about the Gold Concacaf cup. Only difference is you won't find Africans complaining about it....

USREDEVIL

Hmm probably Africans...
Similar to how nobody other than North Americans give a feck about the Gold Concacaf cup. Only difference is you won't find Africans complaining about it....
You think i give a feck about the gold cup? :lol:
If we had an american player worth a crap, i'd be pissed if he trotted off to play in such a half baked tournie.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Africans of course, give your head a wobble

the_cliff

You think i give a feck about the gold cup? :lol:
If we had an american player worth a crap, i'd be pissed if he trotted off to play in such a half baked tournie.
And you speak for all Americans that do give a feck about it ?

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Who the feck is AK.47?

I can count with one finger the amount of times I watched either of these two teams. :)

I’ve been catching the afcon highlights on YouTube most evenings now and it’s good fun to watch. Sure, in some matches the quality isn’t there but there are some good goals and the players are fans are clearly up for it.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It’s a big deal for African players and the continent. A lot of them prefer to win it over the UCL.

I’m not sure why this tournament gets a lot of stick. More so than any other. If it’s because it’s in January, the Asian cup is also on at the same time.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Caught all the highlights so far and bit of various games live but first match I'm watching in full is Morocco v Tanzania

Mazraoui is the main miss for Morocco as he's injured, Amrabat starts after his injury for us

Pintu

It’s a big deal for African players and the continent. A lot of them prefer to win it over the UCL.

I’m not sure why this tournament gets a lot of stick. More so than any other. If it’s because it’s in January, the Asian cup is also on at the same time.
They get away with it because they don’t take as many players away from the top European leagues. The AFCON 2021 did use 405 UEFA players, including 227 from the top 5 leagues.

In comparison this years Asian Cup has 116 UEFA player, including 40 players form the top 5 leagues.

Redlyn

My country Cameroon reminds me of United; a faded force trying to stay relevant (despite a shocking AFCON win relatively recently in 2017, come to think of it united did manage to win 2 mickey mouse cups that same year after many years in the wilderness so they really are a lot a like).

Let's see what they can do tomorrow vs the reigning champions Mane and co.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Solid win for Morocco - Tanzania didn't put up much of a fight with 11 and then it was a matter of how many goals when they went down to 10 men

Amrabat was decent - he just needs to adjust to the pace of the PL, but probably he won't get the time to do so

Grande

My country Cameroon reminds me of United; a faded force trying to stay relevant (despite a shocking AFCON win relatively recently in 2017, come to think of it united did manage to win 2 mickey mouse cups that same year after many years in the wilderness so they really are a lot a like).

Let's see what they can do tomorrow vs the reigning champions Mane and co.
I got a soft spot for Cameroon since the days of Roger Milla and Thomas N’Kono. They were great to watch. Should have really beat England in the QFs in 1990.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Good to see the club celebrating its rich heritage of African players.
This is the first time ever we had 3 players who could have been at AFCON - usually we had none

I think Quinton Fortune is the only one to have an AFCON medal and that's bronze

neon_badger

This is the first time ever we had 3 players who could have been at AFCON - usually we had none

I think Quinton Fortune is the only one to have an AFCON medal and that's bronze
I've heard it said in the past we avoided signing African players due the AFCON, I suspect it's more likely we just couldn't get into that market and stubbornly gave up while rival clubs found some excellent players.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I've heard it said in the past we avoided signing African players due the AFCON, I suspect it's more likely we just couldn't get into that market and stubbornly gave up while rival clubs found some excellent players.
Fergie did say he regretted not signing Michael Essien as a kid (work permit issues) and we did actually sign Jon Obi Mikel so I don't think he was necessarily against it

There are a few others who have passed through like Odion Ighalo and Mame Biram Diouf

The other United connections are Bébé & Zaha but were officially Portuguese/English when with us - Zaha is not at AFCON anyway

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Wenger's Arsenal had a corner on the French market for years, which we know is a back channel into much of Africa (for other reasons)

But yeah that part of the market wasn't Fergie's specialty. I don't think he cares much about the AFCON. It's only recently we see this mass exodus of players from top leagues every 2 years.