AFCON 2023 / 2024

Supports
Barcelona
That's some cool penalties from Nigeria. I'd be shitting myself coming up against Williams after what he did in the QF.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Another good game. This tournament has been very good and more entertaining than a lot of others in recent times

BarryWinks

Omo!!

Didn't watch the penalties as it'd have been too much for me but the game itself was tense. The South Africans can be proud of themselves. They gave us a game (not helped by Peseirios tactics) and would have been deserving winners had they made it through. One more win left. Hopefully we do not play against Ivory Coast.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Gael Kakuta! One of the first talents ruined by Chelski. Anyone remember him?

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Love the AFCON. They put it on the bbc 20 ofd years ago and have had an interest ever since.

My ten pound on Nigeria and Five pound each way on Mali is a guaranteed winner.

Anyone expecting Morocco to flop? Usually happens when a team comes into a tournament on high expectations.
My Nigerian brothers did me proud after my Mali heartbreak the other night.

Hopefully DR Congo win the other semi final. Would like to see them in the final.

RedRocket9908

My Nigerian brothers did me proud after my Mali heartbreak the other night.

Hopefully DR Congo win the other semi final. Would like to see them in the final.
Aaron Wan-Bissaka should have played in this for DR Congo, its clear Gareth Southgate will never pick him for England.

MrWilliams

Regarding of outcome, great match

Imagine having this tournament only every 4 years
Would be absolutely terrible if it moved to a 4-yr cycle.

If the successive tournaments are this level or better, within 10 yrs the AFCON TV rights will be huge.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Would be absolutely terrible if it moved to a 4-yr cycle.

If the successive tournaments are this level or better, within 10 yrs the AFCON TV rights will be huge.
Absolutely

There is a certain kind of football in this tournament you don't see elsewhere, and hope that gets preserved even as the player and coach quality improve

Ivory Coast 1-0 up through Seb Haller
They don't deserve this level of happiness

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Has anybody ever won an international tournament after sacking the manager halfway through?

Feels like the kind of thing that could only happen at AFCON (maybe Copa America...)

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
After all the shocks we end up with 2 of the original favourites in the final

And they already played in the groups

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Sorry guys @Ish @SirAnderson :(

Hope you hang 10 goals on Cote D'Ivoire in the 3rd place game
Thanks Adex :(

Boys did us fairly proud in the end, but obviously still gutted getting knocked out on pens. Especially as we missed a gilt edged chance from that free kick at the end of normal time, ffs.

Onwards and upwards! Supporting the super eagles from here on in.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Absolutely

There is a certain kind of football in this tournament you don't see elsewhere, and hope that gets preserved even as the player and coach quality improve

They don't deserve this level of happiness
The Ivorians should have been knocked out long ago ffs :lol:

Oh well. Make shitty rules for third placed teams to progress, get shitty results.

massi83

Why was the first semi 90% empty for the first half? And man it was a terrible match for the first 60+ mins. Picked up from there thankfully. And second was great.

MrWilliams

I doubt either team will place much stock in that game. It's ancient history now.
That’s true. I wonder if their other examples of two teams meeting in the group stage then meeting again in the final. Does it favor the team that won the prior GS meeting or does it swing the other wat.

Hard to beat a team twice in a tourney I feel.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
That’s true. I wonder if their other examples of two teams meeting in the group stage then meeting again in the final. Does it favor the team that won the prior GS meeting or does it swing the other wat.

Hard to beat a team twice in a tourney I feel.
Euro 2004. Greece beat the hosts Portugal in the group stages and in the final

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Why was the first semi 90% empty for the first half? And man it was a terrible match for the first 60+ mins. Picked up from there thankfully. And second was great.
I've not looked at numbers but attendance has looked disappointing in general - I can only assume it's due to ticket prices being too high for local population

Although it can be deceptive on TV too as they usually focus on the expensive seats around halfway line - behind the goals is often full but not shown as much

massi83

I've not looked at numbers but attendance has looked disappointing in general - I can only assume it's due to ticket prices being too high for local population

Although it can be deceptive on TV too as they usually focus on the expensive seats around halfway line - behind the goals is often full but not shown as much
I wouldn't comment if it, if it wasn't the whole stadium. Either a security issue or somebody realised how terrible it looks and they just decided to let people in without a ticket. Combined that with South Africa just passing between their keeper and defenders for the whole first half, it was a huge disappointment relative to expectations.

Thankfully final will be full and South Africa won't play there.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Final in 20 minutes. Who do we fancy?

Probably the two African nations with the most Chelsea connections historically but I'm on team Nigeria tonight.

Shamefully I've not seen much at all of this years tourney.

It's free on BBC3 for us UK people.