Afghanistan

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
Source is wikilinks which has never yet been proved wrong.

Carolina Red

Staff
It was first tested back in 2003 so well before Obama & Trump. Likely to be a Bush or late Clinton effort, although I seriously doubt stuff like this changes much from administration to administration.
Clinton was gone by 2003. The weapon in question the specific bomb was most likely built during the Bush or Obama years

Edit; Article linked a few posts down indicate the inventory was bought in 2011.
Design began in 2002. They just wanted a new Daisy Cutter for mass area de-forestation and/or bunker tunnel busting. Once designed, they thought about using it in the 03 Iraq invasion as an anti-personnel ordinance, but it doesn't really fit that bill.

Last edited:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Design began in 2002. They just wanted a new Daisy Cutter for mass area de-forestation and/or bunker busting. Once designed, they thought about using it in the 03 Iraq invasion as an anti-personnel ordinance, but it doesn't really fit that bill.
It's not really a bunker-buster, hence the name (air-burst). Though it does have a 'relative' developed around the same time designed for that purpose.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Did I hear correctly that the us continues to train and arm Afghans yet about a third disappear every year? That is one scary stat if accurate.
I heard that too. So, well trained and armed Afghans go back to their tribes. Crazy.
Heard some info too, where the US has paid to build highways there but now they're falling into disrepair because the Afghans didn't do any maintenance.
Makes me wonder why the US didn't read their history books before embarking on the invasion.
Imagine if all that money was spent upgrading the infrastructure in the US?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I heard that too. So, well trained and armed Afghans go back to their tribes. Crazy.
Heard some info too, where the US has paid to build highways there but now they're falling into disrepair because the Afghans didn't do any maintenance.
Makes me wonder why the US didn't read their history books before embarking on the invasion.
Imagine if all that money was spent upgrading the infrastructure in the US?
It gets worse when you include other infrastructure projects in Afghanistan; Vice did some really good reporting on it, though it was a while back I think.

The real crazy part is the Taliban is re-taking control (which kind of defeats the point of the invasion in the first place), people of all stripes are still getting killed, and it's not a big deal internationally.

Kind of like the untold numbers of civilians starving in Yemen and Syria, but we're more concerned with a few dozen missiles being launched at airport hangars that don't result in anything substantial. SNAFU.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
:lol: Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, man of peace - https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...a0ae1940305_story.html?utm_term=.987baf562bd2

Should be an interesting Mar-a-Lago meet up.
Showing up, giving some sweet talk and patiently checking out what's in it for him. Also this:

It seems that pre-2001 Afghanistan is trickling in bit by bit after the American interlude.

Any predictions if the reconciliation policy has a chance of success long term? Especially since the unity government itself is busy with internal power struggles and the Taliban are gaining ground? Doesn't look good to me.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Showing up, giving some sweet talk and patiently checking out what's in it for him. Also this:

It seems that pre-2001 Afghanistan is trickling in bit by bit after the American interlude.

Any predictions if the reconciliation policy has a chance of success long term? Especially since the unity government itself is busy with internal power struggles and the Taliban are gaining ground? Doesn't look good to me.
Yes it definitely is. The US is finding out its futile to invade, replace the government, and build a new democracy when all the militants are just across the border and can generally come and go as they please. Although I heard Trump is considering putting more troops in country which will just prolong the US presence indefinitely.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Yes it definitely is. The US is finding out its futile to invade, replace the government, and build a new democracy when all the militants are just across the border and can generally come and go as they please. Although I heard Trump is considering putting more troops in country which will just prolong the US presence indefinitely.
It's been bleeding obvious for a long time, just a terrible shame that the US, and UK, governments couldn't see it.

I can understand that given the sweep of world history the US thought everyone would prefer western-style democracy to tribal or religious government if only they were given the chance. I thought so too. What I can't understand is why it's taking them so long to figure out it isn't so.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's been bleeding obvious for a long time, just a terrible shame that the US, and UK, governments couldn't see it.

I can understand that given the sweep of world history the US thought everyone would prefer western-style democracy to tribal or religious government if only they were given the chance. I thought so too. What I can't understand is why it's taking them so long to figure out it isn't so.
It's always related to domestic politics back home. Politicians don't want to be perceived as weak against their political opponents and generally don't want to deal with political ads that they made citizens less safe by withdrawing troops abroad and allowing militants back into the mix. Obama was a bit of an outlier in this regard where he actually did the right thing by deescalating in both Iraq and Afghanistan in an attempt to pressure both governments to seize their own initiative - and yet still he wound up getting attacked by the likes of McCain, Graham, and others

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Could he not build a wall... You know a big beautiful wall... I'm sure he can get Pakistan to pay for it

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Could he not build a wall... You know a big beautiful wall... I'm sure he can get Pakistan to pay for it
Ironically, both countries can't even agree on where their respective borders are, so a wall may not work.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
It's always related to domestic politics back home. Politicians don't want to be perceived as weak against their political opponents and generally don't want to deal with political ads that they made citizens less safe by withdrawing troops abroad and allowing militants back into the mix. Obama was a bit of an outlier in this regard where he actually did the right thing by deescalating in both Iraq and Afghanistan in an attempt to pressure both governments to seize their own initiative - and yet still he wound up getting attacked by the likes of McCain, Graham, and others
Thanks, that makes sense.

I can't help but be so sad from a British perspective, where we clearly lost but won't admit it, and suffered so many casualties in the process, all for nothing.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Hekmatyar's been at war for 40 years, even before that he was up to his shit in dodgy politics, assassination attempts against rivals, etc. I often wonder how a guy like that will evaluate his life, and what is it that makes him want to stay involved all that time? He could have had a handy retirement in Tehran after 1995. I guess after a certain point some guys just can't function outside of a war-time environment.

I find the strength of personal ambition in politics a very strange thing, not really something I understand.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Ironically, both countries can't even agree on where their respective borders are, so a wall may not work.

Each country builds a wall, where they think it’s fair. The area in-between is getting turned into a Mad-Max style wasteland. Everything goes. The only condition is, that you have to wear some kind of fetish clothing.

RedTiger

Half mast
Each country builds a wall, where they think it’s fair. The area in-between is getting turned into a Mad-Max style wasteland. Everything goes. The only condition is, that you have to wear some kind of fetish clothing.
Considering that Afghanistan considers half of Pakistan territory to be Afghan land under occupation.. I can't really see them coming to a resolution as to where the border lies.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Considering that Afghanistan considers half of Pakistan territory to be Afghan land under occupation.. I can't really see them coming to a resolution as to where the border lies.
Its not even a matter of defining a border. Even if one did that, there are still deeply interwoven ethnic and tribal ties that exist deep into the territories of both countries, which is more or less why currently recognized borders are generally ignored by the locals.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Hasn't the international border pretty arbitrarily cut through the middle of traditional Pashtun land?

2cents

Scout
Hasn't the international border pretty arbitrarily cut through the middle of traditional Pashtun land?
'Arbitrarily' probably isn't the right word. This wasn't like the post-WW1 Middle East or the partition of 1947 where the British imposed new borders that hadn't previously existed. The Durand Line was a formal recognition of a frontier between British India and Afghanistan that had existed already for decades, and that the British had inherited when they incorporated the Sikh Kingdom.

(Edit): an obvious exception is the Wakhan Corridor, which was certainly an arbitrarily drawn border designed to extend Afghanistan's role as a buffer between Russia and British India to the Chinese border.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
'Arbitrarily' probably isn't the right word. This wasn't like the post-WW1 Middle East or the partition of 1947 where the British imposed new borders that hadn't previously existed. The Durand Line was a formal recognition of a frontier between British India and Afghanistan that had existed already for decades, and that the British had inherited when they incorporated the Sikh Kingdom.
And was implemented with zero consideration for the existing tribal/ethnic makeup of the region at the time (and the present).

2cents

Scout
And was implemented with zero consideration for the existing tribal/ethnic makeup of the region at the time (and the present).
All pre-modern frontiers were. The current border reflects more a geographical reality (the distinction between the mountains and the Indian plains) than an ethnic or tribal one.

In history the Pashtuns had often been divided between other empires such as the Mughals and Safavids, although along different geographical lines. Of course they had sometimes been mostly united, such as under the Durranis (until the rise of the Sikhs).

Uniting all the Pashtuns in one state would have required the British either to conquer the Pashtun regions of Afghanistan and incorporate them into British India (something obviously beyond them given how they tended to fare on their Afghan adventures) or to cede the Pashtun regions of British India to the Kingdom of Afghanistan (something politically impossible for so many obvious reasons, not least the fact of the perceived Russian threat to India). On the other hand, had tribal considerations been taken into consideration there would have had to be many Pashtun states along the frontier.

The problem is not that the frontier - which had existed for almost a century - was formally recognised; it is that it was modernised, with all that that entails - administrative procedures, customs, checkpoints, surveillance, etc.

2cents

Scout

PedroMendez

Acolyte
They just control about 10% of all districts and contest another 30%. Nothing to see here. Maybe throwing a couple more of these MOABs on farmers will do the trick.

2cents

Scout
Picture from the 70s or early 80s I guess of Hekmatyar (seated) hosting Recep Tayyip Erdoğan (right) and the leader of Tunisia's Ennahda Party Rached Ghannouchi: