African Cup of Nations 2021 (played in 2022) | Final: Senegal v Egypt, 7 PM UK time

OmarUnited4ever

Senegal up 1-0... Enroute for an easy win
Looks like it, EG are trying their best but Senegal are quite solid and have a good defensive shape off the ball, and Mane leading their attacks, and they attack with numbers, with the confidence of Koulibaly being secure at the back

OmarUnited4ever

This tournament has well and truly restored our pride as one of the biggest African teams in history.

We're back. We're fecking back.

With all these amount of injuries and our shit draw, this has been a fantastic tournament for us.
Huge win for Egypt indeed, I stupidly missed the 90 mins as I thought it was the latter game and not the early one.

Btw, that Egypt team of 06/10 was legendary, the only regret was not reaching WC in 2010

el3mel

This is the type of shit and siege mentality Queiroz likes to build. Reason why I think for him is easier to work well with Iran or Egypt where he doesn't have to deal with prima donnas, while at Portugal or Colombia you cannot expect those players to just sit and listen and do as I want. On a side note for you, since you're also a Al Ahly fan, he and Manuel Jose hate each other. Next game against Cameroon playing at home is bloody hard, and definitely having to face Senegal to reach Qatar is terrible because beside the quality players they are solid as a rock in Africa when it's related to suffer goals.
True. While I don't think Quireoz has been exceptional tactically with us (bar making us more solid of course), the way he reunited the team and made us a one unit playing for one target again without division in dressing room, and the way he improved the mentality of the team approaching big games is the best thing he has done so far.

Compare the current Egypt team to the one we had in 2019 AFCON. There's literally no comparison. The current team play with heart and run their socks off on the pitch. Players put 200% of their efforts on the pitch. I haven't seen this for a long time.

As for his relationship with Manuel Jose, well, of course if it comes to it I will always side with Jose to be fair. Jose is a legend here. Quireoz has a long way to go with us, though he has been a success so far.

With the amount of injuries we have in our back line and the accumulated exhaustion we have been building playing all these tough games and extra time, I don't think anyone will blame the team if we lose in the semi. This tournament has been a success so far for us.

As I said for me the most important thing is this tournament has restored our pride as one of the biggest African teams in history and the most successful team in AFCON. This pride was destroyed last few years. We have regained it again. We have regained our identity. Everyone again will realize facing us isn't an easy task even if we aren't in our prime. We are one of the elite and we are finally showing it again.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
True. While I don't think Quireoz has been exceptional tactically with us (bar making us more solid of course), the way he reunited the team and made us a one unit playing for one target again without division in dressing room, and the way he improved the mentality of the team approaching big games is the best thing he has done so far.

Compare the current Egypt team to the one we had in 2019 AFCON. There's literally no comparison. The current team play with heart and run their socks off on the pitch. Players put 200% of their efforts on the pitch. I haven't seen this for a long time.

As for his relationship with Manuel Jose, well, of course if it comes to it I will always side with Jose to be fair. Jose is a legend here. Quireoz has a long way to go with us, though he has been a success so far.

With the amount of injuries we have in our back line and the accumulated exhaustion we have been building playing all these tough games and extra time, I don't think anyone will blame the team if we lose in the semi. This tournament has been a success so far for us.

As I said for me the most important thing is this tournament has restored our pride as one of the biggest African teams in history and the most successful team in AFCON. This pride was destroyed last few years. We have regained it again. We have regained our identity. Everyone again will realize facing us isn't an easy task even if we aren't in our prime. We are one of the elite and we are finally showing it again.
But certainly would have been helpfull if you guys didn't had to face Senegal to reach Qatar. Beside the talent they have they are solid as a rock Imo.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Thought that was ball to hand really. How can you just give ball back to Se :lol: negal though? Eq. Guinea had a good attack going.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
But certainly would have been helpfull if you guys didn't had to face Senegal to reach Qatar. Beside the talent they have they are solid as a rock Imo.
Yeah I saw the play off draws, some incredibly brutal ties there and can see for first time why it's logical to have a couple more teams at world cups from 2026.

Egypt-Senegal are arguably the two best teams in Africa and one will miss out on Qatar.

Nigeria remain a powerhouse while Ghana aren't as strong as they were but have done well in previous world cup appearances.

Cameroon-Algeria. Algeria should get through there but again Cameroon feels like a team who should always make a world cup.

DR Congo-Morocco. Would be nice to see DRc at a world cup again but Morocco should be too strong.

Mali-Tunisia. Mali never qualified so would like to see them make it, possible as Tunisia weakest of top seeds and they never tend to make much impact in world cups.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Senegal consistantly underwhelm for their quality in key positions. I mean Mendy-Koulibaly-Gana-Mane, is their a better spine in tournament and they have reasonable depth.

Surprised they kept Cisse on after last world cup.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Yeah I saw the play off draws, some incredibly brutal ties there and can see for first time why it's logical to have a couple more teams at world cups from 2026.

Egypt-Senegal are arguably the two best teams in Africa and one will miss out on Qatar.

Nigeria remain a powerhouse while Ghana aren't as strong as they were but have done well in previous world cup appearances.

Cameroon-Algeria. Algeria should get through there but again Cameroon feels like a team who should always make a world cup.

DR Congo-Morocco. Would be nice to see DRc at a world cup again but Morocco should be too strong.

Mali-Tunisia. Mali never qualified so would like to see them make it, possible as Tunisia weakest of top seeds and they never tend to make much impact in world cups.
Yeah, 5 teams for Africa at this day and age makes no sense for me.

the_cliff

Egypt impressed me today. After the start of the second half they dominated and fully deserved their win. Props to them.

Cameroon-Egypt should be a cracking game.

Winner will face Burkina in the final imo, mentioned them at the start as dark horses think they have enough about them to beat Senegal or EQG, providing they don't give away stupid penalties.

OmarUnited4ever

Egypt impressed me today. After the start of the second half they dominated and fully deserved their win. Props to them.

Cameroon-Egypt should be a cracking game.

Winner will face Burkina in the final imo, mentioned them at the start as dark horses think they have enough about them to beat Senegal or EQG, providing they don't give away stupid penalties.

I appreciate Burkina Faso's quality but I can't see them going past Senegal

marktan

If it ends up being Egpty - Senegal in the final, that means Salah and Mane would be lining up against each other in that, and then world cup qualifier deciders a month or two later. Can the friendship survive? Salah to lose both and refuse to renew? Stay tuned.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
First semi tonight, Burkina Faso - Senegal.

Thought I'd be able to watch it live but just checked and it's on BBC Three, which we don't have here ffs.

Hoping for Mane that Senegal goes through.

Patchbeard

First semi tonight, Burkina Faso - Senegal.

Thought I'd be able to watch it live but just checked and it's on BBC Three, which we don't have here ffs.

Hoping for Mane that Senegal goes through.
It should be on Sky Sports too if you are able to get that. I've been very unimpressed by Senegal so far, feel like they've lucked their way this far despite their quality. 1 goal in the groups and that was via a soft penalty, didn't score against Cape Verde in the R16 until the opposition were down to 9 men, and only retook the lead against E.Guinea in the QF courtesy of some terrible defensive head tennis.

If it's Burkina Faso vs Cameroon in the final it'll be a rematch of the opening game which will be interesting.

Mane Vs Salah in the final would be good publicity for the AFCON though.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
It should be on Sky Sports too if you are able to get that. I've been very unimpressed by Senegal so far, feel like they've lucked their way this far despite their quality. 1 goal in the groups and that was via a soft penalty, didn't score against Cape Verde in the R16 until the opposition were down to 9 men, and only retook the lead against E.Guinea in the QF courtesy of some terrible defensive head tennis.

If it's Burkina Faso vs Cameroon in the final it'll be a rematch of the opening game which will be interesting.

Mane Vs Salah in the final would be good publicity for the AFCON though.
Haven't played well but I think the goal in the QFs was also the first one they conceded all tournament, right? At least solid defensively then which is massive in a tournament.

Bolded part is what I'm hoping for yeah. Both of them care a lot about their home country and have a lot of projects and investment going on if I'm not mistaken, so would be great if they could achieve an AFCON win.

the_cliff

Any habibis that can tell me if there was juicy drama?
Nope. Although Boufal and some other players have been banned for 2 games for his/their part in it.

That's just a typical aftermath of a North African derby. I'd say it's kind of calm compared to previous editions. I mean Algeria/Egypt for example has had interpol arrest warrants, political breakdown, fans attacking players, brawls on pitches etc. that's just a little talk in comparison.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Have really enjoyed it so far. I have Senegal to win at 5/1 and Burkina Faso e/w at 40/1 so hoping the stallions pull off the shock tonight.

Pintu

Sénegal's starting 11 for tonight.

And this is Burkina Faso's:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Shouldn't Mane be missing this with concussion protocols etc?

Fergies Gum

VAR is just a joke. How on earth is that a clear and obvious error to overturn the original penalty decision.

Pintu

I think he gets the ball first and then the foul or the coming together.

But yes it's a 50/50 to me. In Europe a referee doesn't get called to VAR to check this.

Redlyn

VAR is just a joke. How on earth is that a clear and obvious error to overturn the original penalty decision.
I didn't see any penalty. He clearly punched the ball and not the player. It was a coming together. Right call. Not every incident is a foul.

CloneMC16

That's well harsh. No chance they're getting a pen for that. Defender couldn't do anything.

Redlyn

Good call cancelling that penno. His elbow was glued to his side. Unless players can't have arms anymore it can't be a penno. I like VAR being used like this. Giving the ref an opportunity to review his initial call if he has a doubt.