African teams in Qatar

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
It's like a maths problem and you get the right answer but the wrong method. Uruguay are still going home!
I actually bet on SK winning 2-1. I was positive it was going to end exactly the way it did.

Ideal actually because we didn't get trolled for losing but those with a grudge got closure seeing Suárez crying. We can all move on now, awesome.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I actually bet on SK winning 2-1. I was positive it was going to end exactly the way it did.

Ideal actually because we didn't get trolled for losing but those with a grudge got closure seeing Suárez crying. We can all move on now, awesome.
Tbf to your lot, it was by the narrowest of margins, and there's not much more you could have done to get through.

With that probably being Suarez's last WC, you'll get a lot more of us casual intl fans supporting Uruguay again (I certainly used to when Forlan was around, and still had a soft spot because of Cavani and Pellestri).

Kopral Jono

Morocco have been fantastic, players and travelling fans alike (we even saw Moroccan flags in games that had nothing to do with Morocco!), and it's been a while since North Africa produces such a likeable team -- I tend to find them to be unlikeable. Tunisia were more or less the same and I bet their players are still kicking themselves for not doing more in a group that had Australia and a minging Denmark.

The rest were average to poor Senegal aside. Ghana had good in-game spells throughout and actually made count of this in their second game, but last night was a complete bottle job. Cameroon were diabolical right until Aboubakar scored their second in the Serbia game.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I vaguely remember Orlando Pirates toying with Spurs, and the English pundits taking multiple digs at South Africa for "showboating". Makhanya was a player I was particularly impressed with.

From the East African POV, Uganda just won the U20 CECAFA last month. Hopefully it will serve as a springboard for certain players to attract attention at AFCON U20. I was pleasantly surprised to see the diverse number of Uganda's goal scorers in the CECAFA competition.
Yeah I hope I still get to see an African team winning a football World Cup in my lifetime!

RoyH1

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. We will not see an African team win the World Cup for at least a generation. Despite the abundance of talent on the continent, they will always struggle tactically and in preparation against the very top teams in the knockout rounds

MiceOnMeth

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. We will not see an African team win the World Cup for at least a generation. Despite the abundance of talent on the continent, they will always struggle tactically and in preparation against the very top teams in the knockout rounds
I mean they've also never really had a team that was better than Europe's elite teams in terms of talent anyway.

Elcabron

Whats the story with Nigeria these days? Huge population but haven't couldn't quality?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I mean they've also never really had a team that was better than Europe's elite teams in terms of talent anyway.
Yep. They're fine tactically, the issue is lack of talent

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
There is a lot of talent but it's spread over many countries. There is no African country yet with a first XI rivalling top teams from Europe or South America.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Be longer than that, if ever.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
There is a lot of talent but it's spread over many countries. There is no African country yet with a first XI rivalling top teams from Europe or South America.
Was thinking of which African team in recent times would be best example.

Perhaps Ivory Coast in 2006 or 2010? Drogba, Yaya Toure, Kolo, Kalou etc. However they were placed in groups with Argentina, Holland, Portugal and Brazil in respective tournaments and finished 3rd in both which was just bad luck. By 2014 they were past their best collectively.

I also really like Nigeria in the mid 90s. Taribo West, Babayaro, Sunday Oleish, Jay-Jay Okocha, Yakubu and Kanu was a strong spine and they won the Olympics in 96 and beat Spain in first game of World cup 98 which got everyone excited but that was the end point and they've largely underwhelmed since then.

Cameroon with Mbomba and Eto'o upfront and likes of Geremi and Marc-Viven Foe in midfield were also a powerhouse in late 90s/early 2000s but again faded to just being happy to qualify now.

South Africa also had good talent playing in europe in the 1990s.

At least a few more of them are giving local coaches a chance instead of just parachuting in a big name foreign coach months before a World cup. Cisse been Senegal manager since 2015, Song's been Cameroon manager for a few years and I presume Morocco will give their coach an extension whatever the reason tomorrow. If Ghana are smart they'll keep Addo on as think with their pool of talent they should be more of a force in 2026.

the_cliff

Was thinking of which African team in recent times would be best example.

Perhaps Ivory Coast in 2006 or 2010? Drogba, Yaya Toure, Kolo, Kalou etc. However they were placed in groups with Argentina, Holland, Portugal and Brazil in respective tournaments and finished 3rd in both which was just bad luck. By 2014 they were past their best collectively.

I also really like Nigeria in the mid 90s. Taribo West, Babayaro, Sunday Oleish, Jay-Jay Okocha, Yakubu and Kanu was a strong spine and they won the Olympics in 96 and beat Spain in first game of World cup 98 which got everyone excited but that was the end point and they've largely underwhelmed since then.

Cameroon with Mbomba and Eto'o upfront and likes of Geremi and Marc-Viven Foe in midfield were also a powerhouse in late 90s/early 2000s but again faded to just being happy to qualify now.

South Africa also had good talent playing in europe in the 1990s.

At least a few more of them are giving local coaches a chance instead of just parachuting in a big name foreign coach months before a World cup. Cisse been Senegal manager since 2015, Song's been Cameroon manager for a few years and I presume Morocco will give their coach an extension whatever the reason tomorrow. If Ghana are smart they'll keep Addo on as think with their pool of talent they should be more of a force in 2026.
Definitely this one, in terms of names.

The sad part is, Africa's best team of the last 20 years didn't manage to qualify for a world cup. I'm talking about the 2006-2010 Egypt team that won 3 back to back AFCONS and basically forced Drogba to retire with no International silverware. As previously mentioned here, it's often the case that Africa's best teams don't qualify because of the way the qualifiers work. Algeria/Nigeria/Ivory Coast are all better than Tunisia for example and arguably better than Ghana and Cameroon.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Would Egypt really have made much impact in those World cups? I remember watching them in AFCON and they had incredibly drilled defences but can't say they would've tested european's leading nations with their attacking options. Perhaps they'd have been a last 16 team but doubt it if they'd ended up in same standard groups as Ivory Coast.

Zaki scored a decent amount in 2008 AFCON but he had that amazing six months at Wigan and then completely disappeared off the face of the earth. Aboutrika scored the winner in the final but played his whole career in Egypt bar a brief spell in UAE right at end of his career. Mohamed Zidan was also a thing and had a decent career in Bundesliga.

the_cliff

Would Egypt really have made much impact in those World cups? I remember watching them in AFCON and they had incredibly drilled defences but can't say they would've tested european's leading nations with their attacking options. Perhaps they'd have been a last 16 team but doubt it if they'd ended up in same standard groups as Ivory Coast.

Zaki scored a decent amount in 2008 AFCON but he had that amazing six months at Wigan and then completely disappeared off the face of the earth. Aboutrika scored the winner in the final but played his whole career in Egypt bar a brief spell in UAE right at end of his career. Mohamed Zidan was also a thing and had a decent career in Bundesliga.
Probably not a major difference but it would've been nice to see them. The closest they got to playing in a world cup was during the 2009 confederations cup where they beat Italy (Although it was one of the bad Italy sides).

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Definitely this one, in terms of names.

The sad part is, Africa's best team of the last 20 years didn't manage to qualify for a world cup. I'm talking about the 2006-2010 Egypt team that won 3 back to back AFCONS and basically forced Drogba to retire with no International silverware. As previously mentioned here, it's often the case that Africa's best teams don't qualify because of the way the qualifiers work. Algeria/Nigeria/Ivory Coast are all better than Tunisia for example and arguably better than Ghana and Cameroon.
Absolutely and I'd argue much better than Senegal (without Mané). Mali as well as Algeria should've qualified. Their qualification format is fecked up and the last play-off shite has to be changed.

That's why we got Africa's chancers in WC most of the time and not the best teams at a defined moment.

Morocco are the only team worth mentioning. All other african teams flattered to deceive.

wangyu

Inappropriate comment
What are you guys talking about Africa already won a world cup as France

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
It looks like a winner coming outside Europe or South America just seems impossible
Nevermind a winner - even a semifinalist is a big deal

This year it's still probable that even Quarters is the usual suspects, I hope Morocco can cause an upset though

Righteous Steps

[
They need to do a better job of convincing the European born players of playing for them, imagine a world where Musiala Saka Olise, Tomori, Eze and Madueke all played for Nigeria for example.

Same for Algeria and Cameroon with their French born players.

RoyH1

[

They need to do a better job of convincing the European born players of playing for them, imagine a world where Musiala Saka Olise, Tomori, Eze and Madueke all played for Nigeria for example.

Same for Algeria and Cameroon with their French born players.
Agree. It's going to be very hard for them to do that though. Playing for a big European nation just gives so much more marketing possibilities as an individual player than an African

nakpodiareuben

African teams lack that quality. I was thinking their energy will be used with good effect in this tournament but quality is still needed. Senegal missed Mane, Morrocco looks good but will struggle against physical teams. So again, Africa will have go wait for another world cup to get to the semis

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
African teams lack that quality. I was thinking their energy will be used with good effect in this tournament but quality is still needed. Senegal missed Mane, Morrocco looks good but will struggle against physical teams. So again, Africa will have go wait for another world cup to get to the semis
Strange comment when the physical defensive side is actually what Morocco are best at - rock solid at the back with Amrabat doing a prime Kante impression at DM

Where they lack is on creativity as they rely on talented but inconsistent players like Ziyech and Boufal who couldn't hold down a regular place at Premier League clubs

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Strange comment when the physical defensive side is actually what Morocco are best at - rock solid at the back with Amrabat doing a prime Kante impression at DM

Where they lack is on creativity as they rely on talented but inconsistent players like Ziyech and Boufal who couldn't hold down a regular place at Premier League clubs
Right you are. Mostly agree. For me it's the two CM's + ST position that are the glaring weaknesses. CM not creative enough, too lacking in box to box support. ST at best 1/3 ratio. Great for a squad but not enough for starting berth.

GK and defense have been immense. Only conceded one own goal during whole WC.

Amrabat at DM has been the best in the tournament next to Casemiro. Ziyech and Boufal have been very good and creative. Perhaps a bit unsupported by the team at times as it's (rightly) been all about defence first.

nakpodiareuben

Right you are. Mostly agree. For me it's the two CM's + ST position that are the glaring weaknesses. CM not creative enough, too lacking in box to box support. ST at best 1/3 ratio. Great for a squad but not enough for starting berth.

GK and defense have been immense. Only conceded one own goal during whole WC.

Amrabat at DM has been the best in the tournament next to Casemiro. Ziyech and Boufal have been very good and creative. Perhaps a bit unsupported by the team at times as it's (rightly) been all about defence first.
[/QU

What I meant is that. When they meet teams that match them physically, then they would struggle to create chances because they lack that extra quality to create chances. They might beat Spain but won't beat Croatia, Portugal, swiss etc

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Agree. It's going to be very hard for them to do that though. Playing for a big European nation just gives so much more marketing possibilities as an individual player than an African
Also the fact those guys consider themselves european might be an issue....

wangyu

Poor European zeitgeist, no room for laughs anymore. France would be nowhere without its African players.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/20...otball-federation-offers-free-tickets-to-fans

Morocco Spain Game: Royal Football Federation Offers Free Tickets to Fans

By Jihane Rahhou - Dec. 05, 2022 7:34 p.m.

Rabat - The Royal Moroccan Football Federation distributed free tickets to Moroccan fans in Doha on Monday evening.

The football federation purchased a number of tickets and offered them for free to Moroccan fans in Doha who were unable to buy tickets due to the shortage, according to reports.
The only condition the federation set is for fans to present a Moroccan-issued passport.
The news comes amid the ongoing ticket crisis Moroccan fans are experiencing in Doha, with many complaining that they have flown all the way to Qatar only to go back home after they failed to find any tickets.
One day ahead of the epic Morocco-Spain game, Moroccan fans have taken to social media to express their frustration and anger at organizers who failed to stop black market operators from hoarding tickets and reselling them at 10 times the original value.
Video footages shared on Instagram and Twitter show Moroccan fans being approached by black market operators offering to sell them tickets to the game at $550 (MAD 5790) while the original price is set by FIFA at 200 Qatari riyals equivalent to MAD 578 ($54.8).
Others posted evidence online indicating that tickets for the game have reached a staggering price of $1,000 (MAD 10,000) on the black market.
Second-party sellers are also hiking up prices considerably, as ticket-selling platforms are reselling tickets for the game at a price ranging from MAD 5,625 ($533.9) to MAD 21,210 ( 2,013).
Following an online campaign demanding authorities to intervene, Morocco’s Royal Moroccan Football Federation announced that it has reached a deal with FIFA to allocate 5,000 more tickets to Moroccan fans. However, the measure did little to quell fans' frustration as many still reported earlier today that they were unable to find tickets at reasonable prices.

MDFC Manager

Morocco have only conceded one goal so far (that an own goal too).

Edit: didn't let any penalties go thru either :lol:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
They can beat Switzerland or Portugal.