Agnelli and the need to appease the young audience

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I never said that
It can be inferred from our conversation though. Moore and Delaney contradict each other. If you assume Delany knows what he talks about, you necessarily think Moore does not. There is not both sides of the coin here.

owlo

Its interesting you say this. Im 34 today and grew up basically trying my hardest to find illegal cable from any place I could to watch a match by myself. I never drink before or during matches. Just not part of my culture. My friends have other interests. My wife will watch with me but she's not as commited so most times its just me watching on a weekend and im happy. Fortunately for me the pandemic hasn't really affected my ability to watch games and enjoy them. For what jts worth i still prefer watching test cricket and enjoy going to watch west indies play at sabina Park for 5 days. I'm probably boring as feck now that i realise it :lol:
This is absolutely one of the most relaxing activities possible! Especially at Sabina Park I imagine with the weather and atmosphere etc. Could imagine myself chilling out there with a book and a picnic. I was thinking more of watching for 5 days straight on TV at home. (Ps. I play with old coins and cars for hobbies, I probably win the boring as feck award. :lol:)

He'sRaldo

Football matches have become similar to when online games develop a meta that no one deviates from and thus makes the game boring for all but the most dedicated players. Pressing, playing out from the back, no individuality or flair, hard running, etc is the new formula to follow, unfortunately it's quite a dull one to watch if we're honest.

I suspect the first step to making football matches more interesting is to find a way to get rid of that meta, or at least make it more interesting somehow.

owlo

Here's a question: Why is it imperative to capture the attention of fans for 90 minutes each and every game?

ChaddyP

This is absolutely one of the most relaxing activities possible! Especially at Sabina Park I imagine with the weather and atmosphere etc. Could imagine myself chilling out there with a book and a picnic. I was thinking more of watching for 5 days straight on TV at home. (Ps. I play with old coins and cars for hobbies, I probably win the boring as feck award. :lol:)
:lol:

sabina park is quite unique to be fair. we have a beach and a pool after all :cool:

owlo

:lol:

sabina park is quite unique to be fair. we have a beach and a pool after all :cool:
Exactly, and probably BBQ's on the go etc! You go for the whole package, not to watch every ball! WI and Aussie cricket is a proper party; nothing like the sedate stuff you see in the UK. Damn, you've made me want to go to Sabina now! :lol:

edit: I think it adds to a community feel too. Imagine if Old Trafford had a pool party, live music, and BBQ at every game..... I'd certainly be going way more often! It'd feel more community than customer for sure.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
You know, they just could make the games more accessible via free TV or streaming instead of selling everything to the highest bidder. They could invest in more and better equipment and pitches and infrastructure in general. But that wouldn’t be as profitable, I guess.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Can't remember the last time I watched an entire game. Probably our FA cup final against Chelsea.

ChaddyP

Exactly, and probably BBQ's on the go etc! You go for the whole package, not to watch every ball! WI and Aussie cricket is a proper party; nothing like the sedate stuff you see in the UK. Damn, you've made me want to go to Sabina now! :lol:

edit: I think it adds to a community feel too. Imagine if Old Trafford had a pool party, live music, and BBQ at every game..... I'd certainly be going way more often! It'd feel more community than customer for sure.
jerk

no bbq round here bruv :lol:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I wonder if there's a personal connection factor to consider?

We're talking about a bunch of teams who've grown their fanbases at enormous rates worldwide, which means they've opened themselves up to more people who, for whatever reason, haven't been able to go to the stadiums to watch a game, or even have much affiliation with the cities the teams are based in.

I'm not claiming superiority when I say this but I'm sure if I'd never been lucky enough to see United play in person as a kid, I probably wouldn't have the same attachment to the club now. Luckily I was/am able to and it's been a formative experience which I'm sure impacts my desire to sit through games now, especially the crap ones.

Coupled with the relentless competition for eyeballs in our world, I can sort of see the basis of Agnelli's point, even though I think he's ultimately wrong in what he's saying.

Edit - This isn't me saying people who've never been to OT aren't proper fans. I know you Noggies are.

Edit edit - We've spoken before how kids favour players over teams, which is another relevant talking point I think.

Last edited:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
It can be inferred from our conversation though. Moore and Delaney contradict each other. If you assume Delany knows what he talks about, you necessarily think Moore does not. There is not both sides of the coin here.
You can infer what you want chief. I never said that Moore didn't know what he was talking about. I simply said Delaney must have got the statistics from somewhere.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Actually I didn’t know young people are not interest in football nowadays, I thought it’s just me getting bored of 90 mins football in recent years...

Tacitus56AD

Supports
Bayern Munich
Make every game a battle royale - winner unlocks new skins

rhajdu

He has got a point. If I am not mistaken the Champions League's and the Premier League's viewership figures in a steady decline. There is also a big contrast between the group stages' viewership figures and the knockout phase's figures. It is also said that there is generally less interest for the "lesser -known" teams' matches in the Premier League.

When I was a teenager, I often spent the whole weekend at home and watched football matches all day long. It did not really matter which teams are playing, I was watching those matches (and maybe simultaneously playing RollerCoaster Tycoon). As I'm nearly 30 years old I don't have time and interest anymore to do that, so I only watch Manchester United. I know that many of my friends would tell the same story.

Nowadays the teenagers hardly watch any matches (or at least that is what I see around me). Only the biggest occasions... so meanwhile the finals' viewership figures increase, overall, the viewership figures are in a steady decline. It is also a new phenomenon that some players have more followers than many traditional clubs.

So it is easy to understand why they thought it would be a great idea, but it is a huge surprise that they did not do any market research and did not expect this backlash.

Currently the football industry is not sustainable, because it is strongly based on growth. You can only sustain the increasing transfer fees and wages if you earn even more. However, there is less interest in football in general. It could be masked for a few years, but the pandemic ensured that there is no hiding anymore.

It would be also a good topic to discuss the situation in smaller countries, because I do feel that this decline is much rapid in a country where there is no regular Champion League's participant.

Reactions: Invictus

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
You can infer what you want chief. I never said that Moore didn't know what he was talking about. I simply said Delaney must have got the statistics from somewhere.
Delaney's claims are highly questionable the very same moment he says he uses the same surveys as the other guys. For some reason you refuse to acknowledge that, but each one to its own.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Delaney's claims are highly questionable the very same moment he says he uses the same surveys as the other guys. For some reason you refuse to acknowledge that, but each one to its own.
I'm not refusing to acknowlede anything! :lol:

I never gave an opinion on whether he was correct or incorrect in his use of statisics. And you can think they are highly questionable if you want, it's got nothing to do with what i said. You're being weird.

DoomSlayer

Maybe these clubs are jealous of how much money EA make through Fifa games and the ultimate team cash cow. :lol: I saw that one of the points in creating the new league is that clubs in it won't allow their images being used in Fifa games or maybe even games in general.

Just checked, EA made $1.49 billion in 2020 from Ultimate Team, a third year in a row over the billion mark. That really is crazy amount of money.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I'm not refusing to acknowlede anything! :lol:
It's my bad. When you said "I assume he knows what he is talking about", I interpreted you were saying something like "I assume he is knowledgeable" or "I assume he is right", instead of "I assume he got his stats from somewhere".

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Maybe these clubs are jealous of how much money EA make through Fifa games and the ultimate team cash cow. :lol: I saw that one of the points in creating the new league is that clubs in it won't allow their images being used in Fifa games or maybe even games in general.

Just checked, EA made $1.49 billion in 2020 from Ultimate Team, a third year in a row over the billion mark. That really is crazy amount of money.
Yeah, it's crazy. It's a very insidious part of the game. It's a game that is suitable for kids, yet it has this gambling component to it that's extremely addictive.

DoomSlayer

Yeah, it's crazy. It's a very insidious part of the game. It's a game that is suitable for kids, yet it has this gambling component to it that's extremely addictive.
Definitely. I am someone who grew up playing Fifa religiously at one point in my childhood and I can say I was very much involved in it, especially after Fifa 2010, and it became an absolute scheme to trick people into spending incredible amounts of money, kids being very much vulnerable to it. The whole game is shit nowadays, thanks to how easy is for EA to make money from Ultimate Team.

Tapori

Why even have a 38 game league for each team spread out over a season when we can simply create a giant pitch with 20 goals and have all teams play in a one-off battle royale. That's what the kids really want.
When is this happening and where can I watch it?

NoPace

Attention span is down, I download games and fast forward through the time the ball is out of play and struggle to watch 90 minutes alone live, though with friends it's fun. It's similar to how I can't watch movies alone without doing other stuff and used to read books constantly but haven't finished one in ages.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
Why even have a 38 game league for each team spread out over a season when we can simply create a giant pitch with 20 goals and have all teams play in a one-off battle royale. That's what the kids really want.
Haxball 6 man was ahead of it's time.

Poltophagy

I really hate this thinking. As if a football was a random business, needing to adapt to the competition.

Football is a game. A clearly defined game. It makes money because people choose to take part in it. If it loses popularity, so what? Players get paid less, tv deals get smaller, but it's the same for everyone. Not like the game is in danger of becoming extinct because the tv money becomes a little less.

People talking about reforming the game to increase profits are frankly insane.

This is exactly the problem in America. They play some alright games over there, to each his own, but when you watch it you can not help feel that the game is mere window dressing for taking your fecking money.

Reactions: Invictus

Spoony

The People's President
Its interesting you say this. Im 34 today and grew up basically trying my hardest to find illegal cable from any place I could to watch a match by myself. I never drink before or during matches. Just not part of my culture. My friends have other interests. My wife will watch with me but she's not as commited so most times its just me watching on a weekend and im happy. Fortunately for me the pandemic hasn't really affected my ability to watch games and enjoy them. For what jts worth i still prefer watching test cricket and enjoy going to watch west indies play at sabina Park for 5 days. I'm probably boring as feck now that i realise it :lol:

Sabina Park must've been an amazing place to watch Test cricket in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Ludens the Red

I think the addictiveness of mobile phones and the internet will have a lasting effect on the younger generation's attention span. That probably has more to do with why your son struggles to sit through a utd game, rather than the format being outdated.
This. The younger generation these days can’t sit and watch films, tv shows or sport because they have abysmal attention spans. Their phones are basically glued to their hands and they can’t help but get distracted and turn on snapchat/tiktok and watch some shite 15 second clip of someone doing something really pointless. If not that then they’ll be turning on some shit mumbling music on their phone whilst trying to do the above things.

This is the generation now. I’m aware I probably sound like an old fart but doesn’t matter what idiots like Agnelli do you can’t keep them interested.
Maybe if they Turned football into a succession of twenty second clips of someone doing something called the ‘headache skank’ they’d like it.

passing-wind

But how many of us are in the matchday thread during a game - even a big one? Honestly I probably spend half a game refreshing the matchday thread, so I don't even think attention span problems applies to kids only.
Football is boring, I've repeated this throughout and it's declining as a sport garnered around entertainment.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Being a teacher I can confirm that attention span is going shorter and shorter. Read some article last year comparing kids from 30 years ago to the ones today. Something like 20 minutes attention (story-telling) vs 2 minutes today. May have been skewed but judging from experience it's definitely happening. Kids from the youngest of age are exposed to all senses experience with all the technological gadgets so no wonder they won't be interested in reading for example.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Here's a question: Why is it imperative to capture the attention of fans for 90 minutes each and every game?
I wouldn't know how to phrase it properly but we seem to live in an era where everything is judged in absolute. If you say or feel that something isn't perfect than it is interpreted as being totally awful, there is less tolerance for relativism.

I hope that it makes sense.

Last edited:

Shark

@NotShark
Football is boring, I've repeated this throughout and it's declining as a sport garnered around entertainment.
Football has boring games just as it did ten to twenty years ago. Saying football as a whole is boring is perhaps just you getting older maybe or the lack of fans in stadiums getting to you. PSG vs Bayern for example recently was edge on your seat stuff for any neutral if we're talking CL football.

Shark

@NotShark
I wouldn't know how to phrase properly it but we seem to live in an era where everything is judged in absolute. If you say of feel that something isn't perfect than it is interpreted as being totally awful, there is less tolerance for relativism.

I hope that it makes sense.
Spot on.

pastyfool

Being a teacher I can confirm that attention span is going shorter and shorter. Read some article last year comparing kids from 30 years ago to the ones today. Something like 20 minutes attention (story-telling) vs 2 minutes today. May have been skewed but judging from experience it's definitely happening. Kids from the youngest of age are exposed to all senses experience with all the technological gadgets so no wonder they won't be interested in reading for example.

Is anything being done in schools to counteract this?

Things like, meditation, creative thinking, using your imagination, etc...?

Kingantti1874

Supports
Hearts
Football with no consequences and no rewards is nothing more than a glorified friendly. The winner of the super league would be entirely irrelevant. It would change the entire dynamic of the game on an off the pitch and certainly won’t generate additional interest.

The reason kids are losing interest is becuase of the lack of competition, the fact that wealth and talent is concentrated amongst a dozen clubs IS the problem

The the proposed solution of the 12 was to concentrate even more of the wealth? Absolute madness - It’s would be like giving out free bottles of vodka at an AA meeting.

Football needs to introduce regulation to spread the wealth, not concentrate it. To spread the talent and increase competition across all clubs not take steps to reduce it.

Wage caps, player limits and fairer distribution of wealth across all leagues and all divisions is the way forward.

These 12 are so blinkered they believe football is all about them. They can’t see the wood for the trees.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Is this same trend also visible for other sports? Is it visible in America?

Or is only football suffering from an increasingly smaller audience?