Television Ahsoka - August 2023

Widow

Why?

I honestly can't say I noticed a lack of men, probably because it didn't matter? To me atleast. Do you notice when there's a lack of women in these sorts of things?
Do you always look for something to jump on? It doesn't bother me a bit, It was a genuine question but maybe you need me to announce that I'm not a chauvinistic prick?

And yes, I notice when a show is cock heavy

Widow

4 is when it starts to get good.

The lack of men is just timing. The best male protagonist from the cartoons is dead, the other is in a galaxy far, farther away, and the best male antagonist is lost in space with him.
Four was better and I'll always watch a season to the end. It's hard when the people you should be cheering for are a little obnoxious, maybe that'll change. As like many, Ashoka was one of my favourites in The Clone Wars ect..

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Do you always look for something to jump on? It doesn't bother me a bit, It was a genuine question but maybe you need me to announce that I'm not a chauvinistic prick?

And yes, I notice when a show is cock heavy
Was hardly jumping on, you noticed something that I and probably others didn't, and I asked if you noticed the opposite too in other shows...

Herman Toothrot

I think A New Hope suffers from having two women with too many lines in it. Aunt Beru's ridiculously over-the-top 19 seconds of dialogue makes it hard for me to relate to the adventure. Yet I think it works in Empire. Yes, there are still two women with lines in the film again, but that woman on Hoth who says 'Stand by Ion Control. Fire' didn't ruin my enjoyment of the film.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I love the show so far.

Ep 4 was especially incredible for bringing catharsis on so many fronts. In that single episode, Filoni takes charge of the SW legacy and passes it on from Anakin to Ahsoka in a way that three movies couldn't do it from Luke to Rey. These are the sequels I prefer.

Disney tried to force the strong independent female power narrative through poorly written stories for Rey and Reva, this show is actually getting it right with a character that has been built over multiple shows and seasons.

As for Sabine being annoying, I agree. But a lot of us felt the same way about Ahsoka herself in the first couple of CW seasons - Filoni knows what he's doing there.

I am excited about the finale and expect some unexpected cameos today, since they will look to set the stage for an inevitable season two and the Heir to the Empire movie which ties Ahsoka to Mando.

Hamnat

I enjoyed the finale. They had a lot to do and they clearly needed another season. I wanted to see more active Night sister magic and we got that. Ezra fighting was great. I think he's doing a good job live action and I want to see him get a full season.
I knew he was going to build his own saber. Loved that scene. And loved he got the companion piece Kanan used for his. He can now go be in Mandalorian stuff as well since he's back. I wish they had shown his reaction to Jacen too but reuniting with Chopper/Hera was nice. Even if a bit rushed.

Thrawn meeting up with the shadow council and Night sisters rebuilding on Dathomir can be big for all the Star Wars shows/films. This is the unified threat Mando s3 needed really.

Baelen at least seems to be closer to some tangible piece of whatever is "calling him" and chased the Great mothers away. They need to recast him and explore that. I hope they explore more of this galaxy as well next season meet some other civilization maybe not just take Ezra's old hut.

caid

What a strange and pointless show.
Watched the first 2 episodes when they were released and caught up over the week. Glad i didn't wait a week for some of the episodes which were weirdly short - 3 and 4 being the most guilty. Really didn't need to be 8 episodes. It was dumb to be honest.
Thrawn is an idiot. Zombies feels like creative bankruptcy. Baelen seemed interesting but i think hes just mysterious and theres no meaningful depth or wider idea behidn the character. None they managed to convey while he was available at least
Felt like the definition of throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. I guess theres some characters introduced that could be used in something ... better than this? But then theres no pay off, the odd time you get an Andor they avoid all this stuff like the plague and are better for it.

Tribec

Either a second season of this is planned before the Filoni film or we'll see the conclusion in the film. I enjoyed this quite a bit, we know what's to come in the time line and so it can't always end in sunshine and roses. It isn't a annimated series either which were aimed at a younger audience, but with the wider fan base in mind.

Oldyella

This was enjoyable enough although the end did feel a bit rushed. We hardly got to see the most interesting character though!

Redstain

Not enough episodes to conclude and balance out the season. Still had the Disney cheese about it, poor fight scenes which has been rife across the reboot of the main films. Decent watch nevertheless.

dinostar77

The title of the epsiode put a smile on my face, word play on "the lion the witch and the wardrobe".

Abit rushed as an epsiode but ok for a season finale. Hopefully season 2 will find stronger footing before the inevitable movie and thrawn's demise.

There must be some rule about classic star wars music only being used in the movies, as there were a few times the classic scores would have lifted the scene.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
My initial reaction is disappointment; maybe I just wanted too much Baylan, as a lot of others seemed to love the finale. Leaving Ahsoka the White in Middle Earth the new galaxy and Shin's grand exit worked, but I would have preferred a bit more input on Baylan's plan.

I have an idea of where they might be going with it, but I wanted to flesh it out...and I bet many unfamiliar with the lore are feeling underwhelmed or lost.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I have lots of thoughts about the series, and how it ties in with CW references to Mortis and Rebels homage and lays the foundation for Zahn's Heir to the Empire which is what Filoni's next movie will be about.

But most of all, it was sadness given how short Baylan's appearance was. He was clearly going to have a major role in the next season, and he had that gravitas about him through the show that will not be easily replaced

RIP, Titus Pullo. THIRTEEN!

dinostar77

I have lots of thoughts about the series, and how it ties in with CW references to Mortis and Rebels homage and lays the foundation for Zahn's Heir to the Empire which is what Filoni's next movie will be about.

But most of all, it was sadness given how short Baylan's appearance was. He was clearly going to have a major role in the next season, and he had that gravitas about him through the show that will not be easily replaced

RIP, Titus Pullo. THIRTEEN!
He may not get recast. Disney could continue to use his 'digital image', depending on what his estate agrees with disney.

I recently listened to a podcast chat with a guy who owns the companies in Hollywood who digitally scan all marvel, DC comics and hollywood movie actors. They did the CGI for Avatar etc.

Using digital scans and AI they can mimic the movements of an actor to the extent that the actor him/herself dont need to actually be shot physically.

Really interesting podcast.

Simbo

Bit underwhelming and too much like they are still making a cartoon rather than live action. I think something happened before the new galaxy/thrawn stuff but I've forgotten already, this whole season should have been 2 or 3 episodes with how much it covered and Thrawn didn't quite hit. Baylen's arc was potentially the most interesting thing going on, Ray Stevenson making a side character into a main character as usual, may he RIP.

Hamnat

I really think they just need to recast. He was great and gave the character a great start. But, this is the perfect time to go ahead and recast. The digital image stuff for when you need a time period accurate Luke Skywalker. It is cool, fun but for this character specifically. He did a great job but he isn't iconic or anything in this role.

The story calls for a continuation. I mean they want to do something presumably with Mortis Gods in S2. Go for it then recast bring it.

Simbo

I think its always going to be difficult portraying Thrawn right when he's up against indestructible plot armour.

Oldyella

He may not get recast. Disney could continue to use his 'digital image', depending on what his estate agrees with disney.

I recently listened to a podcast chat with a guy who owns the companies in Hollywood who digitally scan all marvel, DC comics and hollywood movie actors. They did the CGI for Avatar etc.

Using digital scans and AI they can mimic the movements of an actor to the extent that the actor him/herself dont need to actually be shot physically.

Really interesting podcast.
I'm fine with a bit of de ageing. The idea of a pivotal character being the digital image of a deceased person is a bit too much though.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Disney is like Thrawn, or perhaps Disney is Thrawn. Just buying time for another season / thing to come out.

Bene Gesserit sisters from Dune summoning zombies. That was at least trying something new.

I was hoping Bugs Bunny will show up and throw Baylan off that statue. What he was doing standing there, I have no folking idea.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Underwhelming finale which is in line with the whole series.

Tactical brilliance cannot be portrayed well by characters speaking about it. It would be better to see a surprise and then a counter which was already predicted. Thrawn is just so forgettable to rely on little bit of dialogue.

Ezra meeting Hera was just meh. Come on! Need more screen time, rather than Sabine/Ahsoka hanging out with the Noti!

Show seems to have closed out with no oomph of gravitas in the leftover storyline. Like a sequel that can be watched without watching the previous season. And too bad Morgan was fridged after a power up. I was hoping for a more meaningful antagonist from her.

The Ahsoka/Morgan Elspeth sword duel was awesome and well choreographed.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Is Thrawn tactically brilliant? I know that was the angle they were going for but only because I have read what people have said about him. Literally every order he made failed.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I really enjoyed it. It's silly and ridiculous but that's Star Wars.

Who will be the new Baylan? That's going to be tough, he had a fantastic aura about him on screen.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
For what it's worth, I enjoyed the second half of the season, but they spent too long on stupid scenes to set up Sabine's character to non-Rebels viewers and we ended up with a scene where probably the worst actor in the series got a really long intro and then the final showdown was rushed. The most interesting character with veiled motivations got the least screen time. The apparent big baddie turned out to be fairly incompetent, only surviving due to the fact they have to act as an antagonist for a future feature length.

The annoying thing is the episode 'The Jedi' in season 2 of Mandalorian suggests this was all planned, and yet their execution was terrible.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Better, but still lacking in so many areas. And some of the choices were... amateur. Sabine, a fantastic character in the cartoon, is reduced to CW quality teen complete with angst and what you would call in the 90s, "attitude", in abundance. Sabine was well past this point in her story, and it's really weird to see her dragged backwards. Also, the actress was pretty fecking horrible for the most part.

The run time seemed to be padded out at the start. Lots of long scenes where nothing is said, but also nothing really happens either. And then towards the end everything seemed to be getting rushed. I dont know if this is a choice to give the impression of urgency, but all that ends up happening is that it looks rushed and feels hollow.

The guy playing Ezra had me worried to start with. In that little hollow thing that Sabine had he looked wooden as all feck. Thankfully, that was not to be the case and the guy actually fit the part really well, imo.

Another issue I have is that once again the title character of a Star Wars show is not the main character. This was not Ashoka's story. It was more Sabines story than anyone else. At best you might call it Rebels season 5. But Ashoka was there... so call it Ashoka I guess.

The force... What the feck is going on with the force? When it did it become something you could just have if you want it? I know the force is in all living things, but every human has a brain. Doesn't mean we call just decide to be Albert Einstein. In order to be a force user you had to have a strong connection with the force. Now you just have to believe in yourself real hard? Shite.

I saw comment a while ago, and it really did make me laugh. "Everyone except Dark Maul has their lightsabers set to stun.". So far the only person to die after getting run through by a lightsaber is Qui Gon. Everyone else just shakes it off like they're in a Taylor Swift music video. It seems like it's really lowering the idea of just how deadly lightsabers are supposed to be.

And last but certain not least, Ray Stevenson. Brilliant, simply brilliant in this for what little screen time he had. And it fecking sucks that we wont get any more of him in this role or any others. By all accounts the guy was a class act through in through in real life and that something that seems to be getting pretty rare. RIP.

All in all, I liked it enough. Not great, but not awful either. Id place it somewhere between Mando and Andor.

AaronRedDevil

Listen here. Watch Clone Wars and then watch Rebels. The first season of each are nothing like what happens after. If you like SW. Both of these shows become fecking amazing and i wont hear otherwise. That is all.

Last edited:

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Listen here. Watch Clone Wars and then watch Rebels. The first season of each are nothing like what happens after. If you like SW. Both of these shows become fecking amazing and i wont hear otherwise. That is all.
This is the way.

Reiver

That is the way of things. The way of the Force.

Revan

Assumptionman
Shame that Baylan’s story in the end had nothing. If there is some season 2, surely the premise will be related to the Ones.

I expect Thrawn to be the main antagonist on the new season of Mandalorian.

Camilo

What an utter pile of wank.

So there's a non-athetic middle aged mum playing the lead in slow motion, and a bunch of completely forgettable nobody's doing increasingly incompetent things around her. Who the hell cast this?

And what exactly was the story?! A bunch of arrogant fools disobey every order and request, do what they want, get stuck in another galaxy and facilitate the return of the evil blue guy? Who wrote it? Absolutely bloody awful. Saying it's Amateurish would be high praise...

I'm honestly baffled. Terrible, terrible rubbish.

Widow

So there's a non-athetic middle aged mum playing the lead in slow motion, and a bunch of completely forgettable nobody's doing increasingly incompetent things around her. Who the hell cast this?

And what exactly was the story?! A bunch of arrogant fools disobey every order and request, do what they want, get stuck in another galaxy and facilitate the return of the evil blue guy? Who wrote it? Absolutely bloody awful. Saying it's Amateurish would be high praise...

Don't hold back, tell us what you really think :lol:

Ahmer Baig

So did you like it or not?

RedDevilRoshi

Just finished watching this.

Overall it was okay but I felt it became a tad rushed near the end which was disappointing.

Is it watchable? Yes. Did it live up to its hype? No.