Ajax - Man Utd | EL Final Build-up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manny

Grammar Police
Ah, ok.

Kinda sad don't you think? Such a big club with quality players formed for a crapload of money (Pogba's left leg was more expensive than Ajax' entire team) and all Mourinho can think of is how to stop Ajax from winning, in stead of trusting his own players and just let them play.

Even stranger is the way the forum is following his way of thinking. Everyone is posting different line-ups, which are best to stop Ajax. I really don't get that. Just play your best 11. Given the difference in quality this should be more than enough to win this.

So stop being adult kittens and man up.

(sadly my last post of the day...newbie problems :))
This is a different United to the one you are probably used to. It doesn't matter how much Pogba cost. We are shaky in midfield, struggle in front of goal and clueless in the final third. It has been that way ever since SAF left.

Yeah, shutting Ajax down will be important if we want to win.

Mark_GrumpyLion

My Ajax supporting co-workers (all of them, since I work for a football company and they consider me a betrayer because I am supporting United) give it a 60% chance to United. I think I agree with that. I can see Ajax struggle with the pressure and the youth in their team on the big night.

GrandJury

What makes you so sure Ajax can't defend? I think you probably never watched a full game did you? Only the 2 returns against Schalke and Lyon?
Sanchez would probably start every MU game as CB and De Ligt (only 17 years old) within a year or 2.

Nevertheless, it will be interesting to see if MU is really underestimating Ajax or that it is mainly guys like you ;)
I've watched them quite a bit actually and no neither would right now though De Ligt would in the future maybe.

It's a final and obviously anything can happen, our problem has been we aren't putting the ball in the back of the net. If our defence and attack turns up and actually does their job...United will win.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
This simply is a game where if our defence is good and everyone does their jobs we'll win.

While we haven't been clinical, Ajax really, really can't defend. If we can soak their pressure we'll kill them off fairly easily IMO.
The reality is we haven't looked great defensively of late, especially in the Europa League, and on top of that we're not great at scoring goals.
We should win, but I doubt it will be fairly easy. Bailly being out is a worry, Ajax actually have a good chance. They will offer a threat like Southampton did in the league cup.

red_devil83

For me, a game of this importance can never be boring.

I'll take the most boring 1-0 win ever please.
I fell asleep during a lot of LvG games last year and it's getting that way in the last couple of months under Jose.

The idea of a European final and the chance to win a trophy we've never won is exciting but after 35 minutes when we haven't had a shot I'll probably be struggling for consciousness :lol:

Ole90+3

I fell asleep during a lot of LvG games last year and it's getting that way in the last couple of months under Jose.

The idea of a European final and the chance to win a trophy we've never won is exciting but after 35 minutes when we haven't had a shot I'll probably be struggling for consciousness :lol:
I'd advise on stocking up on the red bull then :(

Dolf

Huge game next week and if there is one thing we have learned from this team is they seem to struggle when under pressure,as we made it very difficult for ourselves against Anderlecht and Celta (2nd legs).
Yes, and Ajax is all about pressing and playing high up the pitch. I wonder if Jose is going to be stubborn and just hope for a counter or actually change tactics. Let's see if he really still is a top manager. If we park the bus, we invite pressure. And inviting pressure when you play Ajax' is a really really stupid idea.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
Ah, ok.

Kinda sad don't you think? Such a big club with quality players formed for a crapload of money (Pogba's left leg was more expensive than Ajax' entire team) and all Mourinho can think of is how to stop Ajax from winning, in stead of trusting his own players and just let them play.

Even stranger is the way the forum is following his way of thinking. Everyone is posting different line-ups, which are best to stop Ajax. I really don't get that. Just play your best 11. Given the difference in quality this should be more than enough to win this.

So stop being adult kittens and man up.

(sadly my last post of the day...newbie problems :))
I agree, the difference in quality should be more than enough to beat Ajax, but is the difference that great? Of course different qualities are required at Ajax, and not as much quality is required. But who of the United squad would walk into the Ajax starting line-up? More than the other way around, but not that many.

SammyUnited_83

The reality is we haven't looked great defensively of late, especially in the Europa League, and on top of that we're not great at scoring goals.
We should win, but I doubt it will be fairly easy. Bailly being out is a worry, Ajax actually have a good chance. They will offer a threat like Southampton did in the league cup.
I agree.

Rostov, could and should have taken us to ET, Anderlecht had chances to get the 2nd away goal, as did Celta, ironically all of those 'moments' came in the home leg.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
just noticed that Ajax have only been beaten once in their last 10 games - rather more momentum than us. anyone thinking this is a stroll in the park is in for a very rude awakening. my guess is we may need three goals, and I have no idea where they are going to come from. Lingaard? :lol::nono::confused:

space

Too much pressure on us. Such a big game. Can't see anything but a loss going by our recent performances. This team has let me down too much. I can see the fan abuse now :(. All the stick I gave to Liverpool last year is gonna come back and haunt me. I was at the Celta Vigo game, those last 10 minutes man my face was in my scarf, rollercoaster of emotions with the disallowed goal etc. I'm in Lisbon on holiday the week of the final so may just have to get smashed before hand.

Either way, it's our biggest game for years. Chance for players to have their names etched in our history. A goal form Pogba would shut so many critics. As a fan I'm usually overly pessimistic about us so sorry about that. I can't remember the last time we had a game where every time I think of it my anxiety levels go up so high lmao so excitement is there too. Just after watching us blow so many chances for UCL since West Ham last year takes its toll you know.

SirAF

Ageist
just noticed that Ajax have only been beaten once in their last 10 games - rather more momentum than us. anyone thinking this is a stroll in the park is in for a very rude awakening. my guess is we may need three goals, and I have no idea where they are going to come from. Lingaard? :lol::nono::confused:
That will be hard considering it is not a real player ;)

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Problem is we haven't played that way apart from one or two rare occasions. Like the Chelsea game. Can we do it again ? We could. But it could also play into the hands of the opposition. A open end to end game suits them more since they have been playing that way throughout the season.
Good point and probably highlights why I'm posting on a forum rather than managing a club :)

I think Jose could set you up to play how you did against Chelsea, you started like a house on fire that day and there's a lot more riding on this.

I'm so convinced that you're going to win this, that I'll stick some money on it (warning - I've got a win % that's slightly worse than Utd's shots to goals ratio:D)

PoTMS

Damir Skomina appointed as the ref for this one. Same ref who refereed England's embarrassing defeat against Iceland. Hope that's not an omen :nervous:

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Just in case anybody was wondering I tweeted BTSport last night and the europa league and champions league finals will both be broadcast for free in SD on the sky platform - Channel 414. I asked because i don't have an aerial and no access to freeview where it is free on BT Showcase and don't trust their internet servers.

vivaronaldo

if theres one thing jose is brilliant at , its one off games like this ....he'll have the boys ready , he'll have a plan in place , hell get the tactics spot on because in big games , thats what jose does best ... its gonna be tight and tense I agree , but this isn't new to mourinho....

forget league form we weren't chasing the league down so I can get a change of tempo, its come down to a one off game vs ajax for a spot in the champions league , and many of you would have signed of on that deal at the start of the year

we got this

johnamiri

Supports
Liverpool
You would put your shirt on a Man Utd win but on the night they have to turn up and show some attacking intent. Playing thewaiting game could well turn out to be a disaster.

AN17

Good point and probably highlights why I'm posting on a forum rather than managing a club :)

I think Jose could set you up to play how you did against Chelsea, you started like a house on fire that day and there's a lot more riding on this.

I'm so convinced that you're going to win this, that I'll stick some money on it (warning - I've got a win % that's slightly worse than Utd's shots to goals ratio:D)
Well, bet big then. Only way to know you're saying that not to jinx it up. If we lose, you can join us in our pain. If we win, at least the pay off will make it a bit less annoying for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.