Ajax - Man Utd | EL Final Build-up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

iKeano

The club have issued a statement, they are quite right to leave it at that and let Manchester focus on non-footballing matters for the day. There is absolutely no relevance to the daft training tops or Jose's presser on Sunday.
Just read a statement from JM on twitter.

"I know, even during my short time here, that the people of Manchester will pull together as one."

"We have a job to do & will fly to Sweden to do that job. It's a pity we cannot fly with the happiness we always have before a big game.

"I Jose Mourinho: "We're all very sad about the tragic events last night; we can't take out of our minds & hearts the victims & their families.know, even during my short time here, that the people of Manchester will pull together as one."

I'm devastated but the worlds media will be watching us tomorrow night, let's bring the trophy home.
Just saw this myself on Twitter. Bang on.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
I don't think the tragic events of last night, is any reason to cancel a press conference, due to be held in a completely different country.

If anything, its a chance for the club to come out, especially the local homegrown players, and offer its support.

Feel like Jose has just taken an opportunity to duck out of another press conference before the game tomorrow, similar to Sunday afternoon.
How tasteless does it look for the manager of Manchester United to be giving a press conference about a football match when the city itself has been attacked?

What is he even supposed to say during the press conference? If a journalist asks him about how preparations for the game are going: if he says that players are affected, then it'll cast a shadow over the final. If he says players are unaffected, then everyone thinks they're twats.

From a PR perspective, and more importantly, as a matter of decency, it's best for all parties to not have a press conference.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Just read a statement from JM on twitter.

"I know, even during my short time here, that the people of Manchester will pull together as one."

"We have a job to do & will fly to Sweden to do that job. It's a pity we cannot fly with the happiness we always have before a big game.

"I Jose Mourinho: "We're all very sad about the tragic events last night; we can't take out of our minds & hearts the victims & their families.know, even during my short time here, that the people of Manchester will pull together as one."

I'm devastated but the worlds media will be watching us tomorrow night, let's bring the trophy home.
Love the statement! Horrible situation but we need to stay focused. Best thing we can do is to play out of our skins and bring some happiness back home..

ZAGREB RED

Trying to be positive, but I don't have a good feeling at all about this game. Just keep having visions of the young Ajax team playing without any fears or inhibitions and United producing an insipid display akin to the Celta Vigo home game.
I really hope I am wrong. Obviously.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
Well we smacked 4 past your Dutch champions earlier in the season...
Ajax finishing is really bad sometimes, not like 'let's be nice to the manager and count every shot as a chance'-bad, but really poor. They should have smacked 7 past the Dutch champions at home.

Ole90+3

How tasteless does it look for the manager of Manchester United to be giving a press conference about a football match when the city itself has been attacked?

What is he even supposed to say during the press conference? If a journalist asks him about how preparations for the game are going: if he says that players are affected, then it'll cast a shadow over the final. If he says players are unaffected, then everyone thinks they're twats.

From a PR perspective, and more importantly, as a matter of decency, it's best for all parties to not have a press conference.
Well said

Rusholme Ruffian

Ajax finishing is really bad sometimes, not like 'let's be nice to the manager and count every shot as a chance'-bad, but really poor. They should have smacked 7 past the Dutch champions at home.
What are your thoughts on this?:

Interesting read, 'Comparison of Tactics between Manchester United & Ajax'.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...he-europa-league-final-in-stockholm-on-may-24

Ajax play with 4-3-3 mainly and score usually from inside the box, so Mourinho may set up deep line defensively, high pressure in our area to give them congested space, and hit them with our fast-break counter which the likes of Mkhitaryan and Rashford excel in. Play our players in their best set-up tactics. Personally, I think Jones is a better option dealing with their pacy dribbling attackers.

Romero
Valencia---Smalling/Jones---Blind---Darmian
Herrera
Fellaini-------Pogba

The main aim here is to score early and get a convincing scoreline, leading goals by 2 or 3 goals. Then, with our strong defensive stability and higher capability in keeping possession, we could 'depress' the young Ajax side into mental submission :p till the end of game. Ajax love to attacks through their wings from both side, Valencia and Darmian would have to be at their best defensively, and Mkhi plus I assumed Lingard should support well. Expect a lot of crosses from Ajax.

Their defense, especially CBs have sure been doing a lot of work. Maybe it has to do with not much support defensively from the midfield, contrasting to ours. Chances here to outnumber them when we're attacking.

They sure are error-prone, which our players should be aware of and take the gifted chances seriously. Their keepers and about 2 defenders committed a lot of mistakes, so our players should press them all over the park. Targeted Ajax players ~ Keeper, CB, and RB. Once we get the ball, attack mercilessly. Then again our finishing is...

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...he-europa-league-final-in-stockholm-on-may-24

:cool:This will be a fun EL Finale.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
It's not that far from the truth, and it takes quite something for the Dutch media to say something nice about Van Gaal. I don't expect many neutrals to support United in this match. It's seems obvious to me that this season Bosz has done a lot more for the reputation of Ajax than Mourinho has done for United's.
Of course it's far from the truth, even with a lot of goodwill towards Van Gaal it would still be very hard to conclude by now that Mourinho is not doing a (slightly) better job than Louis - and the 'slightly' has to be removed if we can actually win the final. No point in discussing that with a guy who feels Paul Pogba wouldn't make it ahead of Lasse fecking Schöne in Ajax' midfield though - don't get me wrong I do enjoy reading those type of posts :lol:

Ban

Oh yeah let's take the opportunity to spin all this like Jose has made something tasteless like,imagine,cancelling a presser,on a day like this. That's really nice.:eek:

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax

Exactly and face it: What kind of news could he possibly have had?

el3mel

I don't think the tragic events of last night, is any reason to cancel a press conference, due to be held in a completely different country.

If anything, its a chance for the club to come out, especially the local homegrown players, and offer its support.

Feel like Jose has just taken an opportunity to duck out of another press conference before the game tomorrow, similar to Sunday afternoon.
Can't believe what I'm reading here, seriously.

Some here are starting to love complaining about almost any thing.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Trying to be positive, but I don't have a good feeling at all about this game. Just keep having visions of the young Ajax team playing without any fears or inhibitions and United producing an insipid display akin to the Celta Vigo home game.
I really hope I am wrong. Obviously.
This is what I'm fearing as well, United being more affected by the pressure of the situation than Ajax. Pretty nervous about the game already. So much at stake for us. Win, and it's a pretty good season. Lose, and it's a pretty terrible one. :nervous: :nervous:

applemacdan

Because its about standing up to terrorism and carrying on normal life, and not letting the selfish actions of the smallest minority, change the way we all live our lives.

If the reason, the biggest football club in the world, should not hold a press conference on the eve on a European Cup Final, or change any of the actions we would of normally done - is because it could be bad PR for the club - Then thats a little sad.

The manager, players and the club are idols and representatives of Manchester, and having them come out and support the communities back home, rather then just make 140 character comments on Twitter, would of been footage and reported on round the world in the build up to the final. This is a much better tick in the box for the PR peeps.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
If he held a press conference, what do you think the topic would be? He has to get his players focused on the game, and to block out all of this stuff. They can be ambassadors afterwards, but they have to be players first.

It's the right call.

shaky

Because its about standing up to terrorism and carrying on normal life, and not letting the selfish actions of the smallest minority, change the way we all live our lives.

If the reason, the biggest football club in the world, should not hold a press conference on the eve on a European Cup Final, or change any of the actions we would of normally done - is because it could be bad PR for the club - Then thats a little sad.

The manager, players and the club are idols and representatives of Manchester, and having them come out and support the communities back home, rather then just make 140 character comments on Twitter, would of been footage and reported on round the world in the build up to the final. This is a much better tick in the box for the PR peeps.
It's not about changing the way they go about their lives, its called showing respect for the victims. No need to be discussing football the day after 22 people were murdered in Manchester.

AngliaRed

If he held a press conference, what do you think the topic would be? He has to get his players focused on the game, and to block out all of this stuff. They can be ambassadors afterwards, but they have to be players first.

It's the right call.

Exactly mate, he's released a statement and that's enough.

People forget young players like Rashford, Lingard etc are all local players who may know people involved. JM done the right thing. Get the players focused and ready for the biggest game of some of their careers.

applemacdan

It's not about changing the way they go about their lives, its called showing respect for the victims. No need to be discussing football the day after 22 people were murdered in Manchester.
Agree, Football discussion has no place or precedence over what happened last night.

But just because of the closeness to home of the tragedy, just seems a shame to cancel what could of been a very defining press conference for the club to show its respect.

There is no right and wrong way - And perhaps the club says it best, when it says nothing at all.

Minkaro

I'm probably being thick here, but as League Cup winners we qualify for the Europa League next season. If we win tomorrow, and go into the CL, what happens to that Europa League spot? Does it go to Southampton, who were runners up?

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
BAD MOOS UNITED FANS
Manchester United will LOSE Europa League final to Ajax… according to a psychic Dutch cow.
A COW famous in Holland for predicting the outcome of football matches has had its say on the Europa League final.

And it’s bad moos for Manchester United fans after the freakishly accurate cow named Sijtje thinks Jose Mourinho’s side will endure defeat in Stockholm.

The two European giants to head-to-head on Wednesday as they look lift silverware and book their spot in next season’s Champions League.

And ahead of the clash psychic Sijtje, who has a 85 per cent success rate, was let loose to predict who will be crowned Europa League champions.

With two buckets laid out with each club’s emblem stamped on the front, the owner then fills each one up with food.

Sijtje is then let out of its enclosure and whichever bucket it eats from first supposedly goes on to win the match.

The video was posted to the cow’s dedicated Facebook page which is liked by over 1,100 people and has currently been shared over 800 times.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...s-ajax-manchester-united-europa-league-final/

:(We're gonna lose.
Sounds like bullshit to me..................

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
What are your thoughts on this?:
There's not really much in it to think about. It's just about stats and even those aren't very telling because this Ajax team has progressed with every big match and United without Zlatan plays a different game. It's probably down to whether Herrera, Pogba and Carrick/Fellaini can keep up with the quick pass and move of the Ajax midfield, if they get the ball it's goes forward into space very fast, it will require some quick thinking to be in the right position on time and I'm not sure about that. How will United react to not seeing much of the ball pressurewize, will the defenders try to keep playing football or just hoof it? Will the ref allow Mourinho to break the flow of the game with many little and, few big fouls overreacting to fouls and getting the handbags out. How will Ajax react if they can't play their game because there's a whistle everytime? This is Mourinho's specialty.

Of course it's far from the truth, even with a lot of goodwill towards Van Gaal it would still be very hard to conclude by now that Mourinho is not doing a (slightly) better job than Louis - and the 'slightly' has to be removed if we can actually win the final.
So for the first time in history the EL is a bigger prize for an English club than the FA cup? Mourinho has such an easy crowd, he has failed to meet his targets and can only save the next transfer window with an EL win, and he changes the question to whether the season would be a success without winning the EL, and suddenly everybody thinks he's done well when he wins it. One of the oldest tricks in the book, but the media like him because they benefit from him. The Dutch media were hoping for Mourinho to show that Van Gaal had failed badly, and even went along with the poor finishing/unbeaten run narrative for a while, but he has disappointed them hugely.

No point in discussing that with a guy who feels Paul Pogba wouldn't make it ahead of Lasse fecking Schöne in Ajax' midfield though - don't get me wrong I do enjoy reading those type of posts :lol:
That's because you don't get point, but maybe you'll get it on thursday.

brian017

I'm probably being thick here, but as League Cup winners we qualify for the Europa League next season. If we win tomorrow, and go into the CL, what happens to that Europa League spot? Does it go to Southampton, who were runners up?
No. There'll be only 2 English teams in the EL as far as I know. Our spot doesn't get passed down

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Wow this Dr.funkenstein really is the Dutch Glastonspur, one man single handedly able to make you dislike an entire football club.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
So for the first time in history the EL is a bigger prize for an English club than the FA cup? Mourinho has such an easy crowd, he has failed to meet his targets and can only save the next transfer window with an EL win, and he changes the question to whether the season would be a success without winning the EL, and suddenly everybody thinks he's done well when he wins it. One of the oldest tricks in the book, but the media like him because they benefit from him. The Dutch media were hoping for Mourinho to show that Van Gaal had failed badly, and even went along with the poor finishing/unbeaten run narrative for a while, but he has disappointed them hugely.
No. The only thing Van Gaal did was managing to get us into 4th place in his first season, qualifying for the preliminary rounds of the Champions League. Compared to Mourinho, who has made two finals and has already won one in his first year at this club. If we end up winning the EL final too, it means we've won two trophies and qualified directly for the group phase Champions League, this would mean his first season at United is undisputedly more succesful than Van Gaal's first season.

If we don't win the Europa League it's more interesting. What's the better managerial performance? Finishing sixth, winning the League Cup and making a European final and qualifying for the Europa League, or finishing fourth while qualifying for Champions League football with no finals at all? Especially taking into account that Van Gaal could purely focus on domestic football and had the luxury of having no European matches, something which has proven to be a great advantage based on Liverpool's title challend under Rodgers, Leicesters title win, Chelsea's title win this year, etc., it's just pretty hard to make a case in Van Gaal's favour when comparing his and Mourinho's first season at United.

Even more so when you bring in facts like rival clubs appointing some of the most succesful coaches in the game, Guardiola, Klopp and Conte weren't there in Van Gaal's first season, arguably making it easier for him to finish 4th (look at Wenger missing out on top 4 for the first time in 20 years for indication). Then there's the style of football. We've hardly been great this season, but the football played under Van Gaal in his first season was dreadful, absolutely dreadful, despite grinding out a 4th place finish. Perfectly illustrated for those who've forgotten, by having likes of Van Persie, Falcao, Rooney, Di Maria Mata in his squad, and those five players combined did not even manage to score more than 40 league goals under Van Gaal's magical tactical instructions.

abaka

I think the club has done the right thing in not speaking beyond a press release.

If the press conference had have went on, I doubt very much questioning would have related to the match and would have involved the attacks.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
BAD MOOS UNITED FANS
Manchester United will LOSE Europa League final to Ajax… according to a psychic Dutch cow.
A COW famous in Holland for predicting the outcome of football matches has had its say on the Europa League final.

And it’s bad moos for Manchester United fans after the freakishly accurate cow named Sijtje thinks Jose Mourinho’s side will endure defeat in Stockholm.

The two European giants to head-to-head on Wednesday as they look lift silverware and book their spot in next season’s Champions League.

And ahead of the clash psychic Sijtje, who has a 85 per cent success rate, was let loose to predict who will be crowned Europa League champions.

With two buckets laid out with each club’s emblem stamped on the front, the owner then fills each one up with food.

Sijtje is then let out of its enclosure and whichever bucket it eats from first supposedly goes on to win the match.

The video was posted to the cow’s dedicated Facebook page which is liked by over 1,100 people and has currently been shared over 800 times.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...s-ajax-manchester-united-europa-league-final/

:(We're gonna lose.
Anyone up for a trip to Holland for some fresh steaks and burgers?

Morpheus 7

Getting really nervous now, just want the game to start. Can't remember being this nervous since the last European cup final, this game feels so important for the future of the club. Hope the lads and Jose do it for Manchester.

Status
Not open for further replies.