Alabama outlaws abortion

nimic

something nice
Scout
Only a few months after abortion was legalised in Ireland and doctors have already managed to trick a couple into aborting a healthy wanted baby.
I'm going to need a big fat source before I believe a word of what you just said.

So you're implying that the doctors did it on purpose?
He's not implying anything, he's outright saying they did.

Last edited:

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Only a few months after abortion was legalised in Ireland and doctors have already managed to trick a couple into aborting a healthy wanted baby.
A few months = 1 year, yes?

A test which was processed in the UK, not Ireland.

The HSE recommend waiting for the full results, "but some patients are not prepared to wait the two weeks and want to continue to termination. Generally we recommend that they get the total picture."

But the doctors were clearly tricking them.

Weren't you the one complaining loads in this thread, despite the fact you entered the debate with a cynical comment?

Dave89

A few months = 1 year, yes?

A test which was processed in the UK, not Ireland.

The HSE recommend waiting for the full results, "but some patients are not prepared to wait the two weeks and want to continue to termination. Generally we recommend that they get the total picture."

But the doctors were clearly tricking them.

Weren't you the one complaining loads in this thread, despite the fact you entered the debate with a cynical comment?
A few months = the time that has passed since January 1st 2019, the date it was legalised

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
A few months = the time that has passed since January 1st 2019, the date it was legalised
Care to answer the rest? Do you think doctors tricked them, or that they went against the stated best practice of the HSE?

Very interested to hear if you believe our national maternity hospital is tricking women into abortions.

Interesting choice of extremely charged language considering you bristling at language directed at you in this thread.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Roberts won't vote to overturn so thats one positive.
That’s true for now, but won’t really matter if the left doesn’t take back the Senate / White House in 2020. There will be one, if not two, liberal SC judges that will immediately be replaced by conservative judges in the next presidential term. That will make Roberts’ vote moot. There’s very little way to count on Kavanaugh to not overturn Roe, even with some recent votes of his recently aligning with the liberals. Roe could very well be the vote on which he goes against to what he testified in his nomination proceedings.

Dave89

Care to answer the rest? Do you think doctors tricked them, or that they went against the stated best practice of the HSE?
The couple themselves (or their solicitor) have said they are devastated and they want answers. Clearly they have had medical advice to the detriment of their unborn child.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Source?

Surprised to not hear anything about this as it is something that your ilk would shout from the rafters.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
The couple themselves (or their solicitor) have said they are devastated and they want answers. Clearly they have had medical advice to the detriment of their unborn child.
So you think the doctors tricked them into an abortion? You stand by that, in light of your protestations in relation to language used against you in this thread? You think our national maternity hospital has doctors who want to trick women into abortions?

Carolina Red

Staff

Very interested to hear if you believe our national maternity hospital is tricking women into abortions.

Interesting choice of extremely charged language considering you bristling at language directed at you in this thread.
Since he’s not posted it yet, do you have a link to this?

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

Halftrack

He did. I guess I was curious whether he'd back off and concede that a mistake might have been made, or if he'd repeat the assertion. Looks like he went with the coward's route and dodged it entirely.
This is an awful case. It is, however, an extreme jump to say that doctors tricked someone into having an abortion. Considering the same person talked about libelous language in this thread, it's surely extremely inadvisable to talk in such terms.
Gotta paint anyone who supports women's right to chose, and the doctors who carry out the abortions, as blood-thirsty baby killers. That's how you prove you have the moral high ground.

Dave89

This is an awful case. It is, however, an extreme jump to say that doctors tricked someone into having an abortion. Considering the same person talked about libelous language in this thread, it's surely extremely inadvisable to talk in such terms.
I haven't threatened to rape anyone, unlike your allies in this pile on. But if the mods want to remove my post, I can't stop them.

Dave89

You said they were "tricked" into an abortion.

Which is total nonsense.
They were given inaccurate information and induced into making a decision under false circumstances. Now there's a smear campaign to say they rushed into it against "HSE advice" that we don't know was given to them.

Djemba-Djemba

They were given inaccurate information and induced into making a decision under false circumstances. Now there's a smear campaign to say they rushed into it against "HSE advice" that we don't know was given to them.
Your first post about it was saying Doctors tricked them into an abortion implying the bizarre idea that the Doctors got together and for some reason decided to trick and manipulate some random people into an abortion.

I don't know enough of the details about this very sad case and nor do you, but I can say with 100% certainty this wasn't to do with Doctors "tricking" them.

Dave89

No doubt every individual involved will be able to point to a different failing and absolve themselves of legal blame. I certainly don't have the legal expertise to try to convict any one person. I've seen enough systematic feck ups to know individuals are rarely to blame in fact.

But I can say with complete confidence, that the system which was so desperate a number of months ago to start performing abortions, has now collectively misled a couple into allowing them to abort a healthy, wanted baby. Less then 11 weeks after getting the law they collectively sought.

Do no harm indeed.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
That’s not what happened. Just write true things.

Good people will respect your opinions, if they’re authentic.

Don’t misrepresent that case. It’s daft and you know it.

Dave89

And if my language is really an issue, I'll agree that "doctors tricked" should have been "health system, in massive breach of trust, misled with false information". I'll also apologise for the language causing the point to be missed.

Now I'll just wait and surely the poster who wished rape upon me, the poster who called me a rape apologist, and the two posters who mocked me for answering a third poster's question will correct similarly.

Last edited:

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
I'll probably post a longer reply over the weekend when I have the time to do so. Suffice it to say I'm against the kind of legislation that has spurred the creation of this thread and believe (with some reluctance) that choice should always be allowed for the well known hard cases/exceptions.

I'll make sure to follow the reporting on that horrendous story Dave89 first mentioned earlier. People should perhaps pay some attention to the terminology used in each report.

Last edited:

Reddy Rederson

And if my language is really an issue, I'll agree that "doctors tricked" should have been "health system, in massive breach of trust, misled with false information".

Now I'll just wait and surely the poster who wished rape upon me, the poster who called me a rape apologist, and the two posters who mocked me for answering a third poster's question will correct similarly.
Im confused. They thought the baby had a fatal genetic flaw, would that not have warranted an abortion under the old rules anyway? Or would she have been forced to take a baby to term that had a 50% chance of dying with in two weeks/10% chance of living for 1 year/1% change of living for 10 years?

Doctors "tricked" or "misled" implies a purposeful action. Which is straight up murder. Is that what youre saying? Doctors planed to and did in fact murder a foetus? To what end exactly?

Halftrack

But I can say with complete confidence, that the system which was so desperate a number of months ago to start performing abortions, has now collectively misled a couple into allowing them to abort a healthy, wanted baby. Less then 11 weeks after getting the law they collectively sought.

Do no harm indeed.
"Misled" implies that it was done deliberately. It is, especially coming from you, merely a more polite way of saying what you said the first time you referenced this case: That doctors willfully and maliciously convinced a couple that they should get an abortion, despite knowing it wasn't necessary. Unless you have proof that this was the case, I suggest you shut the feck up about it.

Make no mistake, you'll find no one who doesn't think it's a tragedy, including the doctors involved. This holier-than-thou act of yours is wearing awfully thin.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
And if my language is really an issue, I'll agree that "doctors tricked" should have been "health system, in massive breach of trust, misled with false information". I'll also apologise for the language causing the point to be missed.

fecking christ, man, stop digging the hole deeper. There was no intentional breach of trust, the first test was positive.

Your choice of words to describe the situation is remarkably naive as is your whole view on the matter at large.

I would love to know from which website you got the word ‘trickery’ or gleaned that it was such.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I'm going to need a big fat source before I believe a word of what you just said.

And it is total bullshit. They didn't wait for the confirmed tests, against medical advice, and had the abortion anyway.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

It isn't your language that is the problem. It Is the fact you are lying that is.

And you weren't mocked. And the comments weren't because you answered a question. They were because you obviously think your response in some way backed up your fundamentalist religious views on abortion.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Typical three name-using Southern male neck, unfortunate that this backwards shitkicker got to be Governor. Disappointed to see the (D) next to his name & taking this stance, but not surprised.

It embarrasses the hell out of me that half my blood comes from that part of the South.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I love how people justify this democrat being anti choice by saying "well otherwise he will lose the election".

Dave89

It isn't your language that is the problem. It Is the fact you are lying that is.

And you weren't mocked. And the comments weren't because you answered a question. They were because you obviously think your response in some way backed up your fundamentalist religious views on abortion.
Someone asked me a question about my wife and sister, I answered it, then you mocked me for answering it. I didn't invoke them as an argument like you're still implying. Stop lying.

Lyricist

(Just looking at this from a European perspective)
As someone who’s lived in the USA before, about 2 years ago I would’ve still been outraged. But it seems culturally the USA and Europe are much further apart than people had realized when Obama was president.

I think I’m not outraged anymore because firstly it’s sadly almost kind of what you expect to hear from across the Atlantic these days. It’s become as common to hear things like this as have the horrible news about shootings become almost regularities. Secondly I guess it’s simply their choice to make. Before Trump the West felt much more as one big entity with the USA being the biggest cultural influencer. So obviously Europeans were and still are heavily interested in American politics. Today it’s clear though that the bond is nowhere near as strong as we all thought. Let them make their backwards decisions. But as a result Europe clearly needs to take less cultural influence from a country that doesn’t even have universal healthcare at point of service.

Don’t get me wrong, it obviously saddens me that this is happening. It’s a huge blow for women’s rights and it might set a precedent for more such decisions. But these days, it’s sadly just not as shocking to hear this kind of stuff about the USA anymore.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
(Just looking at this from a European perspective)
As someone who’s lived in the USA before, about 2 years ago I would’ve still been outraged. But it seems culturally the USA and Europe are much further apart than people had realized when Obama was president.

I think I’m not outraged anymore because firstly it’s sadly almost kind of what you expect to hear from across the Atlantic these days. It’s become as common to hear things like this as have the horrible news about shootings become almost regularities. Secondly I guess it’s simply their choice to make. Before Trump the West felt much more as one big entity with the USA being the biggest cultural influencer. So obviously Europeans were and still are heavily interested in American politics. Today it’s clear though that the bond is nowhere near as strong as we all thought. Let them make their backwards decisions. But as a result Europe clearly needs to take less cultural influence from a country that doesn’t even have universal healthcare at point of service.

Don’t get me wrong, it obviously saddens me that this is happening. It’s a huge blow for women’s rights and it might set a precedent for more such decisions. But these days, it’s sadly just not as shocking to hear this kind of stuff about the USA anymore.
I agree the Brits and the US are some way apart, but obviously within that there are obviously huge variations, eg NYC v Alabama.
Extremism does seem the new normal though.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I love how people justify this democrat being anti choice by saying "well otherwise he will lose the election".
I mean, what's the point of him being a Dem if he's practically a Republican?
Anyway, I was listening to a podcast some weeks back where they were talking about Red Dems. Apparently, a lot of people that vote Democrat in America are very conservative and the way they are seen internationally has been skewed by the Urban Democrats we see and hear all the time. In short, the urban and rural Dem voter is actually very different in the way they think. Especially Dem voters in the middle areas and south
I was like the party needs to split then because until then, the party is useless.