Alan Pardew at Crystal Palace

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
Yep, and he will have more say over transfers than the next manager, too. It is more or less the same system set up by Chris Mort that was buying and selling without Keegan's consent.
:lol: We'll have to agree to disagree then on how it works.

RedRover

Do you really think Ashley tells him who to buy? Of course he doesn't. He does quite rightly set the budget and Pardew has to buy within that budget like any other manager. Nowt wrong with buying in France, there have been some good acquisitions made from there....and Ajax, Feyenoord and Tenerife.
No - they have a system in place with Carr as head scout. that system was in place before Pardew was manager and will more than likely stay in place now. One of the reasons Hughton got sacked was for dragging his feet approving certain players the club wanted. Or so was said in the north east at the time.

Most managers get to bring in their own scouting network or at least get to identify players and tell the owner to go and get them.

Seems here a system exists for doing that separate to the coaching team - the basis being that they want to find players they can improve and sell on, not necessarily the finished articles they might need.

Marching

No - they have a system in place with Carr as head scout. that system was in place before Pardew was manager and will more than likely stay in place now. One of the reasons Hughton got sacked was for dragging his feet approving certain players the club wanted. Or so was said in the north east at the time.

Most managers get to bring in their own scouting network or at least get to identify players and tell the owner to go and get them.

Seems here a system exists for doing that separate to the coaching team - the basis being that they want to find players they can improve and sell on, not necessarily the finished articles they might need.
Carr was a great signing by the club in 2010 and has done a great job identifying players....so much so he's tied to the club until he retires. But to think he has more power than Pardew like toonfan suggests is a bit daft. They work together. When the new manager arrives he will, if he wants to, bring in his own staff but I'd like to think Carr would stay.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Yeah surely Sissoko us up for grabs now. Their best player for me by some distance.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
And it is more than likely a load of bollocks too. Us footy fans do love to gossip don't we. Apparently Pardew likes to gamble and is in big debt to Ashley.
Before I posted I did a quick search on 'gambling', ironic that I found it in your post Marching. I'm sure being up there you've heard all the rumours too.
Maybe the compensation from Palace will be the sweetener Ashley needs to let Pards leave.

RedRover

Carr was a great signing by the club in 2010 and has done a great job identifying players....so much so he's tied to the club until he retires. But to think he has more power than Pardew like toonfan suggests is a bit daft. They work together. When the new manager arrives he will, if he wants to, bring in his own staff but I'd like to think Carr would stay.
If Carr brings a player to the table he thinks will improve the squad I suspect the manager has an input. I don't know how far that goes but a the talk up here was that Pardew had no option when players were sold and not much more with players coming in.

Pardew had little option in getting back into football and took what he could - a job with a bloke he knew where he didn't have a lot of control but did have loyalty and a long term PL job. He even put up with the Kinnear debacle so that shows what sway he had - unless you think he was happy with that.

There's a structure in place at Newcastle and everyone has to work to it. I suspect any potential manager will have to fit into it or won't get the job. A lot of those staff were, I think, there before Pardew so I don't expect that to change much either.

Ashley isn't scared to do what he wants. Appointing Kinnear when he couldn't even remember players names on the radio tells you all you need to know about what Ashley thinks - my club, my decisions and he clearly believes in himself to make the right ones as he had in business.

Worthington as DOF and Collocini under him wouldn't surprise me. Cheap for the club and he gets more people happy to be given a chance and to be part of the system.

Marching

If Carr brings a player to the table he thinks will improve the squad I suspect the manager has an input. I don't know how far that goes but a the talk up here was that Pardew had no option when players were sold and not much more with players coming in.

Pardew had little option in getting back into football and took what he could - a job with a bloke he knew where he didn't have a lot of control but did have loyalty and a long term PL job. He even put up with the Kinnear debacle so that shows what sway he had - unless you think he was happy with that.

There's a structure in place at Newcastle and everyone has to work to it. I suspect any potential manager will have to fit into it or won't get the job. A lot of those staff were, I think, there before Pardew so I don't expect that to change much either.

Ashley isn't scared to do what he wants. Appointing Kinnear when he couldn't even remember players names on the radio tells you all you need to know about what Ashley thinks - my club, my decisions and he clearly believes in himself to make the right ones as he had in business.

Worthington as DOF and Collocini under him wouldn't surprise me. Cheap for the club and he gets more people happy to be given a chance and to be part of the system.
You're right about that. Not too sure about your Worthington/Colo combo though!

Before I posted I did a quick search on 'gambling', ironic that I found it in your post Marching. I'm sure being up there you've heard all the rumours too.
Maybe the compensation from Palace will be the sweetener Ashley needs to let Pards leave.
Lots of rumours and whispers up here mate....they never stop. Ashley was laughed at for giving Pardew that long contract but it's made the club a cool £2m.

toonfan

latest from the Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...as-long-term-replacement-for-Alan-Pardew.html

Newcastle United will employ a head coach rather than a manager and intend to make it clear to anyone interested in filling the vacancy that they will only have a limited say in the club’s transfer strategy.

Given that is the normal recruitment model for top European clubs, it is easy to see why Newcastle are tempted by the prospect of appointing a foreign coach.

The title of head coach will not sit comfortably with Hull manager Steve Bruce, but he has not ended his interest because of it. However, the idea of having to relinquish control of transfers is likely to end any thoughts of Tony Pulis’ taking charge, particularly as his family home is still on the south coast.

RedRover

You're right about that. Not too sure about your Worthington/Colo combo though!
I heard something on the radio which said he'd come in from 150/1 to 4/1 so someone thinks they know something.

I'd say Bruce is a good shout but he's had money to spend at every club he's been at and brought in a lot of players. He won't get that at Newcastle.

That said, his stock is low and he could be a few games away from the sack at Hull so naked probably a good time to jump ship and take a new job with a bit more longevity to it,

Acole9

Outstanding
Pardew appointment expected to be confirmed later today at Palace.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Apparently it won't be shocking news that Ashley has sold Newcastle in the next few days and could explain all this drama.

Classical Mechanic

To be fair to Newcastle's transfer policy, they do bring in good quality at reasonable prices. Bruce tends to buy British for decent fees. I can see why Ashley wants to stick with it.

Marching

I loved Brucey as a player but he is a mediocre manager at best.
So is Pardew. Newcastle are a mediocre mid table team.

Sad thing for those Newcastle fans is that it could have been so much better with more money from Ashley and perhaps a better than mediocre manager.

SATA

I don't think Newcastle fans are realising they will be losing a steady manager who will keep them in the top half of the table. They aren't going to get anyone better than him that wants to manage them i think

Marching

Isn't he pretending to be a pro footballer in Turkey nowadays? #fingerscrossed

Nikhil

Do Crystal Palace have £6 million to give Newcastle as compensation for a manager they are not certain will stay for a long time?

And why Pardew will leave Newcastle is a bit hard to understand. They are a big club in England, have a big stadium they fill with 52,000 for every match and have a good chance of making Europa this season. Palace are relegation contenders.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Do Crystal Palace have £6 million to give Newcastle as compensation for a manager they are not certain will stay for a long time?

And why Pardew will leave Newcastle is a bit hard to understand. They are a big club in England, have a big stadium they fill with 52,000 for every match and have a good chance of making Europa this season. Palace are relegation contenders.
I think 2.5m is the figure both clubs settled on.

fergosaurus

Newcastle fans hate him whereas he'll be well received by the Palace fans being an ex-player. He's also from around that area so that's probably a big factor in the move.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool

Yep, and about 51,999 dislike him...

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Ally McCoist would be a good choice. He got Rangers a second place and two promotions. And he knows that fat owner.

Gopher Brown

Ally McCoist would be a good choice. He got Rangers a second place and two promotions. And he knows that fat owner.
McCoist left because 'that fat owner' promised the support staff would have jobs and he subsequently cut them.

Marching

Newcastle fans hate him whereas he'll be well received by the Palace fans being an ex-player. He's also from around that area so that's probably a big factor in the move.
Until he starts losing at Palace and they will turn on him just the same....as will the owner who will sack him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

to us, who just love football it is.

but then imagine doubling your salary (which was already colossal in real terms), getting to go to a club you're a hero at, escaping the soap opera of Newcastle's fans, and it all seems like pure genius.

I've always had a bit of a dislike for Palace. Just a nothingness sort of club, awkward bit of London to get to, hated ex Wycombe manager Alan Smith is a legend there, Richard Shaw's cheaty shirt pulling on Cantona provoking him to lash out. Southgate smashing Keane then wondering why he was angry enough to stamp on him.
Pulis.
Wet old boss of mine supported them.

they slightly got some love back from me for that Liverpool comeback last year.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
he took a colossal sized club that kept a lot of their resources up the divisions a club their size should never be close to.

Let me tell you about the standard of Scottish football.
My boys Wycombe signed a striker, John Sutton. In league 2. Brother of Chris, we heard about his Scottish goalscoring record in the top level!

Came to league 2, was utterly pony.

Left, back to the Premier division, started scoring again!

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
I don't think Newcastle fans are realising they will be losing a steady manager who will keep them in the top half of the table. They aren't going to get anyone better than him that wants to manage them i think
Pardew's finishes were 12th, 5th, 16th and 10th. Given the history of his managerial career, I think we can safely say the 5th place finish, and not the 16th, was the fluke season. Given our indifferent form in 2014 seemingly continuing into 2015, I think he would have struggled for top half.

In fact, since that 5th place season (all teams have played 95 since), there's the following, courtesy of MikeAshleyLies on twitter, and current until Dec 29th :

We have been utterly abysmal. It's indefensible. Only the fact that newly promoted teams (and Villa) have been worse has saved us really.

And as far as steady goes, the only thing Pardew is steady at is losing to Sunderland and getting tonked by 3 goals or more - 12 times in 2014. And the "losing your best players" excuse wears thin because the loss of that one player (Cabaye) should never have resulted in the utter capitulation of a team for an entire calendar year - not that our form was great before that but whatever.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
he took a colossal sized club that kept a lot of their resources up the divisions a club their size should never be close to.

Let me tell you about the standard of Scottish football.
My boys Wycombe signed a striker, John Sutton. In league 2. Brother of Chris, we heard about his Scottish goalscoring record in the top level!

Came to league 2, was utterly pony.

Left, back to the Premier division, started scoring again!
It was a joke actually. Obviously not a good one.