Alessandro Nesta, how good was he?

He's one of the best defenders I have ever seen play the game.

Yes, he was better than Rio. In the last 30 years the only centre backs I can think of who might have been above him were Baresi, Cannavaro and Stam.

If he were around now people wouldn't even look twice at players like Ramos and Van Dijk.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
He was better than Rio, Vidic and Terry. Not as good as Maldini or Baresi. He was better than Cannavaro even though Cannavaro won the Ballon D'or.

He was better than Rio, Vidic and Terry. Not as good as Maldini or Baresi. He was better than Cannavaro even though Cannavaro won the Ballon D'or.
He was better than Maldini the centre back. Maldini the left back is another story.

spiriticon

He was the best defender of Rio's generation imo. Rio was Nesta-lite.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He's the best centre-back of all time, for my money. Above anyone else: Baresi, Figueroa, Maldini you name it; Nesta comes out on top.

Another question is why isn't he remembered as fondly as some of the other names in this thread, despite being easily as good as any of them.

Donkey's Ears

He's one of the best defenders I have ever seen play the game.

Yes, he was better than Rio. In the last 30 years the only centre backs I can think of who might have been above him were Baresi, Cannavaro and Stam.

If he were around now people wouldn't even look twice at players like Ramos and Van Dijk.
Stam isn't in the same league as those players. Rio was better than Stam and Rio isn't in the same category as Nesta and co.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Somewhere between Richard Dunne and Mangala.

madzo2007

He was always so cool and calm. Him and Cannavaro complimented each other well. Was good to see him pop up on BBC's coverage yesterday.

Typically good looking as well

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
My favourite of all time. Had no weakness. A complete defender. Loved him to bits.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Immaculate. The best defender of 21st century (Rio is probably the second best with the likes of Cannavaro, Ramos, Godin, Vidić, Terry & Chiellini in the next tier).

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Stam isn't in the same league as those players. Rio was better than Stam and Rio isn't in the same category as Nesta and co.
It's certainly a worthy debate. Many have forgotten how immense Stam was, a one-man mountain with pace and intelligence in defending. The injuries in 2000-01 began limiting some of his abilities but he was still class for Lazio and Milan.

Tallis

It's certainly a worthy debate. Many have forgotten how immense Stam was, a one-man mountain with pace and intelligence in defending. The injuries in 2000-01 began limiting some of his abilities but he was still class for Lazio and Milan.
Stam is easily in the same league as the top CBs and is in the same league as Rio and Nesta. If I had to take a pairing to win the premier league, I would pair Stam with Rio over Nesta.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Had everything: power, aggressive, pace, heading, composure and he had that never give up atitude you love on a defender.

led_scholes

Most talented and elegant defender of the last 30 years. We watned him and ended with a semi-retired Blanc. That was a bit of a let down.

OmarUnited4ever

Another question is why isn't he remembered as fondly as some of the other names in this thread, despite being easily as good as any of them.
If you mean Nesta, where I come from, we used to watch Serie A in the late 90s and early 2000s, it was an unarguable fact that Nesta was the best defender in the world during his time at Lazio and Milan, how I see it, he is hugely respected and I do see posters in the caf mentioning his name when it comes to topics of best defenders ...

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Him and Cannavaro are the two that pop into my mind whenever there's talk of who are the best CBs of modern times. Beasts the two of them were.

SATA

Nesta was very good but i think Cannavaro was better, and if Cannavaro is a few inches taller, he would have been almost unstoppable

It kind of grates me that United never got one of these Italian defenders to play for us. Nesta, Cannavaro, Maldini, Bonucci

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
SAF was a great admirer of Nesta and he tried atleast 2 times in bringing him here when he was at Lazio, from what I recall.

But , to echo the views above, he was a fabulous defender. Comfortably in the top 10 of all time.

OmarUnited4ever

It kind of grates me that United never got one of these Italian defenders to play for us. Nesta, Cannavaro, Maldini, Bonucci
These guys usually don't want to leave Italy, Cannavaro left because Juve were relegated due to Calciopolli, and went to Madrid, but if Juve weren't relegated he wouldn't have left

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
But what if we add the 20th century? :angel:
I’d certainly have Beckenbauer and Baresi ahead of him. Most likely Figueroa as well, although he struggles from the lack of footage. Aside from them, I’d have him in the same tier as Scirea, Passarella etc. (thinking of that, I’m not sure if there are a lot of those et cetera players).

RooneyLegend

Turned defending into an art form. He had it all that you could want from a defender.

90 + 5min

Inspired by the Chiellini & Bonucci thread, how highly do you rate peak Nesta?

For those interested, here's an old thread. Some saying he was better than Rio.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/alessandro-nesta.223338/
Because you mention Rio Ferdinand, I would say that he is there in the same class. Some say little better, some say little worse. Very good defender in my opinion. He had it all. Sadly he was hit by injuries in the later years. He was better then both Bonucci and Chiellini althought he didn't have that enormous presence and charisma Chiellini have.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Nesta was very good but i think Cannavaro was better, and if Cannavaro is a few inches taller, he would have been almost unstoppable

Cannavaro wasn't even as good as Thuram, let alone Nesta. Cannavaro's legacy is changed and reputation is changed due to that world cup where he was flawless during the knockouts.

Zen

That Lazio team towards the end of 90's was nuts, Nesta was the man behind all that insane attacking talent too, if he not for him missing the first leg against Valencia. I'd fancy them to go all in the way in the gung ho-est of all CL's in 2000. Fine lines. They we're a proven Cup winner under Sven - Coppa, Cup Winners Cup in the bag, but they also won the league the year they bust out against Valencia.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I recall a game when he was mid 30s and he played immensely against Messi who was at peak form.