Alex Scott to replace Sue Barker as host of BBC's 'Question of Sport'

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
and triggers lots of racists at the same time. State of the UK right now :wenger:

(Scott is a storied England women's international and also has a degree in sports journalism).

Last edited:

Jack-C20

Didn’t know it was still going. Is Alex Scott the one who’s done loads of punditry recently? If so she must have impressed.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
She's great but I'm worried I may get sick of seeing her everywhere.

Imagine seeing Carragher on BT, BBC, Sky etc. I like him but I'm not always in the mood to hear Scouser pubrants.

U99ted

Sue Barker was a good host, but Alex Scott is a great pundit and deserves the gig.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Didn’t know it was still going. Is Alex Scott the one who’s done loads of punditry recently? If so she must have impressed.
Following Scott's retirement in 2017, she turned her focus full-time to television broadcasting, co-presenting on Match of the Day Kickabout.[21] She became well known to a wider audience when she covered the 2018 FIFA World Cup, becoming the first female football pundit at a World Cup for the BBC.[22] After the tournament, she continued to provide insight on the Premier League, and in August 2018 became the first female pundit on Sky Sports, joining the Super Sunday team.[23] She covered the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup for the BBC.[22] In August 2019, Scott was announced as the new co-host of Sky Sports' Goals on Sunday alongside Chris Kamara.[24]

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
1. Who the feck still wathces Question of Sport? I bet 99% of the people whinging about this don't even watch it.

2. Who wouldn't want to watch Alex Scott instead of Sue bloody Barker?

Deery

Dreary
Sue was good on it is she being forced out or just retiring?

Scott’s a good pundit but she’s got big shoes to fill

Deery

Dreary
1. Who the feck still wathces Question of Sport? I bet 99% of the people whinging about this don't even watch it.

2. Who wouldn't want to watch Alex Scott instead of Sue bloody Barker?
I watch it every week, love it

Jack-C20

Seems as though she’s already done a fair bit for the BBC then. I thought she was more from Sky Sports but then I don’t really watch the punditry. I just about find the actual football entertaining these days. Can’t see how anyone can complain about this.

diarm

I'll happily look at Alex Scott all day every day. She's also an excellent pundit and very likeable so I'd imagine will be a good fit for what is probably one of the least offensive roles in television.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Can’t believe they’ve sacked her and brought a woman in.

fecking woke bullshit.

DanClancy

Alex Scott is a dreadful host/pundit, she's got the best agent in the game.

DBT85

She's great so I wish her all the best.

White racists who love Brexit?
Ding ding ding
Sue was good on it is she being forced out or just retiring?

Scott’s a good pundit but she’s got big shoes to fill
Her contract was probably up, just like the fatheads that are no longer on soccer Saturday.

Chairman Steve

People still watch Question of Sport? It’s the TV show equivalent of flare trousers to me.

KeanoMagicHat

Bit of a waste of talent as a host of a gameshow, hopefully doesn't take too much of her time.

vodrake

Amazing how all these hardcore Question of Sport fans have suddenly appeared all over social media concerned about Alex Scott's "lack of presenting experience", didn't realize it was still so popular

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Absolute joke and a disgrace.

Why the feck is this in the football forum and not Entertainment?

Regarding the actual news, I think it's great that it winds people up so much. fecking idiots. Alex is great and will do a fantastic job. Sue was also great (as were Matt and Phil) but time moves on, think this was the longest it had gone without replacing host/captains?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
People still watch Question of Sport? It’s the TV show equivalent of flare trousers to me.
They seem to coach all their captains to do this faux tension “ohhh ohhh ohhh no it’s arrrrrrhhhh LINFORD CHRISTIE!! Arrgghhhhgh” thing on every single question as if it’s the final round decider of the final episode of the series.

Deery

Dreary
Absolute joke and a disgrace.

Why the feck is this in the football forum and not Entertainment?

Regarding the actual news, I think it's great that it winds people up so much. fecking idiots. Alex is great and will do a fantastic job. Sue was also great (as were Matt and Phil) but time moves on, think this was the longest it had gone without replacing host/captains?
Is Matt and Tuffers being replaced too?

Relfy

and triggers lots of racists at the same time. State of the UK right now :wenger:
It's tweets like that and instant hatred for people they don't know that make me want to delete all social media.

Barker was a good host from what I remember, but she's also 64 and at some point shows need a reboot. Scott has shown herself to be very informed and has all the credentials to do the job. I'd imagine the people outraged now were the same when Barker got the job in the first place....

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
The only issue I have is that there's not enough promoting/helping BAME people (and women) to get into these roles. Alex Scott is good and this is welcome news but I hope this doesn't enforce a feeling of we've done enough when they actually could do a lot more for diversity. I don't want to see the same faces on everything and it feel stagnate five years in the future. We already have this with Gary Linekar, Matt le Tissier, Chris Kamara, etc.

Anyway, just thinking out loud. This is a start and good but let's not get lazy.

El Zoido

Maybe it will get better. It’s been garbage for years, when it stopped being a sports quiz and started having Dawson and Tufnell playing charades for the other team members. You watch the show to answer sports questions, there’s no viewer participation in watching the guys goof off like idiots. I know that was just one round, but it really got dumbed down.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Has she hosted anything before? Did Sue Barker host tennis before QoS? It's such a shit quiz show anyway.

RashyForPM

Probably sounding a bit ignorant here but why must everything become race-related? Just see it as a replacement. We’re all equal.

Chairman Steve

They seem to coach all their captains to do this faux tension “ohhh ohhh ohhh no it’s arrrrrrhhhh LINFORD CHRISTIE!! Arrgghhhhgh” thing on every single question as if it’s the final round decider of the final episode of the series.
Yeah that pantomime feel makes me doubt it’s serious quiz show legitness. I’ve also long suspected that the guests are fed the answers to their questions to avoid looking bad on TV... so it’s basically just a publicity stunt for athletes to raise their profile.

Plus with the internet, extensive TV coverage and social media, you can look up anything and become your own sports statto so it’s a bit redundant in some way.

DanClancy

Has she hosted anything before? Did Sue Barker host tennis before QoS? It's such a shit quiz show anyway.

Seen here host the one show a while ago and goals on sunday, don't know how often she hosted them as I was channel hopping at the time and don't watch either show, she's way of her depth.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It had become very dated as a format, and in my opinion, that had as much to do with Barker as a host as anything else. It could become very popular again if they updated it into a more digitally interactive format. But that needs a fresh new face too.

Seriously doubt anyone aged under 40 cares relates to Sue Barker.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Probably sounding a bit ignorant here but why must everything become race-related? Just see it as a replacement. We’re all equal.
That's the UK for you. Always been this way. Not sure what it is like in other European nations.