Alex Telles: best attacking LB on the planet (on YouTube)

simplyared

If I’m honest had to check this guy out. Hardly heard of the player (surely down to my lack of knowledge on the foreign scene).

He’s 27, Brazilian and made only 1 app for his country in a friendly. Brazil being the football nation they are, that doesn’t necessarily mean anything. Having said that we haven’t the best record with Brazilian players.

Interesting to hear what other caf-members, with more knowledge than me, think about the player.

Is he just another You Tube wonder, ”pig in a poke” or a serious contender for the LB- postion?

How good is he?

Should we be getting excited?

Last edited:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Caf will be creaming over him when he whips in a few good crosses “finally an attacking left back drool face” “he’s everything I wanted from Shaw and more” until Mane slips behind him like he would to any top fullback and the pitchforks are out and they turn against him like nothing you’ve ever seen. Look what’s happened to poor old Baz Maguire after a couple of bad games.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If I’m honest had to check this guy out. Hardly heard of the player (surely down to my lack of knowledge on the foreign scene).

He’s 27, Brazilian and made only 1 app for his country in a friendly. Brazil being and the football nation they are, that doesn’t necessarily mean anything. Having said that we haven’t the best record with Brazilian players.

Interesting to hear what other caf-members, with more knowledge than me, think about the player.

Is he just another You Tube wonder, ”pig in a poke” or a serious contender for the LB- postion?

How good is he?

Should we be getting excited?
Schweinsteiger? I think he's a serious contender for LB position.. since the former spent his ManUnited career watching Tennis

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
He's decent to good although I can't exactly say how much due to me not being a big fan of him. I mean, he was the best LB in the league but Alex Sandro was a better player (i'm comparing because he also played for us).

If he adapts to the league and the group, which isn't that easy for South Americans, he will be an upgrade on Shaw who I consider to be average at best, every since his injury. Just don't expect too much. He's rather weak in 1on1s, defensively suspect, no pace nor dribbling abilities but he has a good left foot and a great attitude. Unless he wants to leave that is.

simplyared

Caf will be creaming over him when he whips in a few good crosses “finally an attacking left back drool face” “he’s everything I wanted from Shaw and more” until Mane slips behind him like he would to any top fullback and the pitchforks are out and they turn against him like nothing you’ve ever seen. Look what’s happened to poor old Baz Maguire after a couple of bad games.
Pitchfork at the ready then!

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I expect him to be our first choice left back as the season progresses.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Just don't expect too much. He's rather weak in 1on1s, defensively suspect, no pace nor dribbling abilities but he has a good left foot and a great attitude. Unless he wants to leave that is.
Not a ringing endorsement then... :rolleyes:

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
This. Remember majority on here claiming Damian is an upgrade on Valencia after a couple of games.

simplyared

He's decent to good although I can't exactly say how much due to me not being a big fan of him. I mean, he was the best LB in the league but Alex Sandro was a better player (i'm comparing because he also played for us).

If he adapts to the league and the group, which isn't that easy for South Americans, he will be an upgrade on Shaw who I consider to be average at best, every since his injury. Just don't expect too much. He's rather weak in 1on1s, defensively suspect, no pace nor dribbling abilities but he has a good left foot and a great attitude. Unless he wants to leave that is.
Straight from a Porto fan. Much appreciated!

GameOn

The best "attacking LB" on the planet both on the pitch and on YouTube is Alphonso Davies and it's not even close tbh.

As for Telles: I haven't watched a full game of him yet, but from reports it seems that attacking is indeed his strength, while defending isn't his kind of thing. He'll have to get better there if he wants to make it in the Premier League.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

Oh dear.

Blood Mage

He's slightly above average, that's it really. Apart from his crossing ability I'm not sure you could really call him an upgrade on Shaw. Reguilon would've been the better signing but I can understand us not wanting to be Madrid's bitch in that scenario.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He's slightly above average, that's it really. Apart from his crossing ability I'm not sure you could really call him an upgrade on Shaw. Reguilon would've been the better signing but I can understand us not wanting to be Madrid's bitch in that scenario.
we are always going to be somebody’s bitch until we sort our recruitment out. If Telles isn’t a really good player then why didn’t we get someone better? I’m praying this is a good signing but I’m not seeing anything apart from crossing and penos to say he’s any better than shaw. Just a different option. It seems our main problem over the years has been with identifying the right players rather than not spending enough money.

Glorio

Nail on the head. And then Regulion would become the "far better option that would've taken us above Liverpool easily"

Davie Moyes

Interestingly Andre something the Benfica fan was more complimentary about Telles in another thread then the Porto fan is. However they both say he was the best LB in the league.

From watching the YouTube clips of him other than set pieces and crosses he does seem slow and does not carry the ball which the top LBs are good at. Oh well I hope he's more of a Trent Arnold or Beckham in deadly from crosses.

This. Remember majority on here claiming Damian is an upgrade on Valencia after a couple of games.
To be fair, probably right. One of the worst players to have played for us (Valencia)
who is held in any sort of esteem. Definitely the worst captain we’ve ever had. Sure he can bench press, but he couldn’t do much else.

Zoo

Reguilom can’t defend for shit. He would have been a disaster on our team.

TheGodsInRed

I say that’s a bit harsh tbh. I would have agreed before last season but he has had a great year and has grown up a lot. Definitely a late bloomer which is the main reason he has barely played for Brazil. Hopefully last season was not a one off.

I say that’s a bit harsh tbh. I would have agreed before last season but he has had a great year and has grown up a lot. Definitely a late bloomer which is the main reason he has barely played for Brazil. Hopefully last season was not a one off.
Is he not away with the national team at the moment?

hopefully he’s not a Miki type signing. I’m looking forward to seeing him play.

Mcking

Not the type to dribble, and not the type to overlap either. He is going to look painfully average spamming crosses to no one in the box.

Irrational.

Not the type to dribble, and not the type to overlap either. He is going to look painfully average spamming crosses to no one in the box.
Especially since we have all the presence of a wet piece of lettuce in the box. Maybe Cavani may change that.

izec

Reguilon was better for us. We need runners. I would have taken the Kiev LB over him. I am skeptical about Telles' fit in our squad.

Mcking

Especially since we have all the presence of a wet piece of lettuce in the box. Maybe Cavani may change that.
He is going to look like those players who seem so far out of their depth that you can't help but feel pity for them. Just how I imagine it, unless something changes drastically.

Matt851

Would have preferred reguillon regardless of the release clause. Think we are in dire need of pace in defence

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Worth pointing out that his attacking stats are super padded with set piece contributions, when in theory we already have those largely covered with Bruno. You cannot just sign multiple people who have monopolised set pieces at previous clubs and expect them to continue their output all in one team. I hope the club have accounted for that with their scouting and subsequent decision to buy

For Telles, 6/8 assists in the 19/20 Liga NOS were from corners and in fact two-thirds of the chances he created were from set pieces. 8/11 goals scored that season were from pens that season and 14/21 have been in total.

The best you can hope is Bruno and Telles sharing set pieces to best suit their footedness. I still wouldn’t expect Telles to get more three assists and maybe one goal for the league season.

Numbers from https://www.fantasyfootballscout.co...ld-be-key-to-defining-alex-telles-fpl-appeal/

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
You think Bruno has turned to shite?
Bruno hasn’t scored a non-penalty goal in United’s last 15 matches. He’s been similarly underwhelming as Pogba has and his penalty goals have greatly masked his mediocre contribution to the team. The shape of the team doesn’t do either of them any favours.

Imagine Bruno in the pivot and Pogba at 10 and on penalties. I’m uncertain whether the team would likely be any better, but opinion on Pogba and Bruno would be very different, I’d imagine.

arnie_ni

Not sure how he fits into ole's style of play.

He isnt quick so doesnt suit the high backline in a back 4.

His strength is crossing yet we dont have forwards that will appreciate that type of play.

Not really sure what we are at recruitment wise. A question mark like when we signed maguire with no pace and play a high backline.

He's a good player from what ive seen, just not sure of the fit