Alex Telles - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenith

If they are rejecting 15 million then good luck to them. We can always sign him 3 months later and perhaps for even lesser.

This is what happens when you leave things late, why didnt we start negotiations when the window opened?

CM

Assuming this is true, Porto are playing a dangerous game knowing Telles can arrange to leave for free in 3 months. This is one I wouldn't mind if we left running, we need a LB at some point but we aren't so desperate for one that we should be held for ransom.

Mainoldo

If they rejected that leave it. It’s a painful cycle that doesn’t help when the whole of the football world have generated this opinion we are mugs. I cannot lie we as fans don’t help.

DevilsOwn

According to Sky Sports..

Manchester United have made an improved bid for Porto’s Alex Telles – this time for £15.4m.

The latest bid has already been rejected by the Portuguese club, meaning United’s chances of landing the Brazilian international left back are now fading, with Porto holding out for no less than £22m.

The 27-year old is out of contract at the Estadio do Dragao next summer.
Seems like a case of misplacing £ with € ! :confused:

as in, we are offering £15.4Mn and they actually want £20M ??

Still doesn't make sense. Maybe they are pissed of with our earlier low-balling.

dinostar77

According to Sky Sports..

Manchester United have made an improved bid for Porto’s Alex Telles – this time for £15.4m.

The latest bid has already been rejected by the Portuguese club, meaning United’s chances of landing the Brazilian international left back are now fading, with Porto holding out for no less than £22m.

The 27-year old is out of contract at the Estadio do Dragao next summer.
Porto are playing a dangerous game, they could end up with a player leaving for free. Huge difference between Thiago situation at Bayern and Telles at Porto. They are taking the piss. Dont accept the offer fine, lose him on a free then. Less than a day left in the window, they gonna say no to £15mil ? Crazy.

laughtersassassin

He’s also under contract for another 2 years so I’m not sure why you think it’s comparable.
Well Id say the fact we want to sell Smalling and the fact Porto said they are happy to keep Telles for another year as he is their best player would make a difference.

Rolaholic

This is what happens when you leave things late, why didnt we start negotiations when the window opened?
Yup, selling clubs tend to have the most leverage they'll get the closer to the deadline they get given the lack of time left to replace players...

Thought we had learned our lesson about leaving things to the last minute but here we are once again unfortunately :houllier:

LonelyFire

Well Id say the fact we want to sell Smalling and the fact Porto said they are happy to keep Telles for another year as he is their best player would make a difference.
So much wrong with this I don’t know where to start, so I’ll just go with the basics. In their simplest form, transfer valuations reflect the fee it will take to buy out the remainder of the players contract. Telles has less than 12 months left and if they keep him will lose him for nothing. If Utd keep Smalling, they will still get a fee in a years time given he is under contact until
2022 with an option of a further year post that.

The two are not even remotely comparable.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
You seriously don't see the difference here? We can afford to have Smalling not sold this year and still get some money out of him next year while Porto could be losing Telles for free next year and this window could be their last chance to get some money out of him. Not to mention no one else beside us has is after him which means Porto can't even offer him elsewhere to get money from him. Another big difference is the financial state between the 2 clubs, while we have some financial issues like any other club due to Covid, Porto on the other hand are in serious and dire financial issue and they could use any money right now, so losing potential money that could be made this window because they're deluded enough to think a player in his final year of his contract can be chipped off at whatever high price they dream.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Yup, selling clubs tend to have the most leverage they'll get the closer to the deadline they get given the lack of time left to replace players...

Thought we had learned our lesson about leaving things to the last minute but here we are once again unfortunately :houllier:
Not when the selling club run the risk of losing the player for free in a few months. Porto are in a more desperate position than us. While we could do with another LB, it won't be the end of the world if we miss out, meanwhile a feck up on Porto's side could mean they're losing their player for free in a few months.

Walters_19_MuFc

When it comes to transfers, we get taken advantage of. Always have been, always will be.

That said, im hoping we can get this deal over the line.

Transfer deadline day will be interesting. We could potentially sign three players.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
So now, where were all the moaners ? Just shut up and let the club work on these things.

People knee jerked that we are low balling while it's actually Porto who is trying to get more just because we are United. For 22.5m, he can stay at Porto. I would be extremely furious if Woodward spends more than 15m (let alone 22.2) on this guy.

For once, just prove that we don't fecking care . Just go for a different option.

laughtersassassin

So much wrong with this I don’t know where to start, so I’ll just go with the basics. In their simplest form, transfer valuations reflect the fee it will take to buy out the remainder of the players contract. Telles has less than 12 months left and if they keep him will lose him for nothing. If Utd keep Smalling, they will still get a fee in a years time given he is under contact until
2022 with an option of a further year post that.

The two are not even remotely comparable.
They will also pay Smalling about 4 million in wages and he will sit at home all year and they will get a smaller fee next year.

laughtersassassin

So now, where were all the moaners ? Just shut up and let the club work on these things.

People knee jerked that we are low balling while it's actually Porto who is trying to get more just because we are United. For 22.5m, he can stay at Porto. I would be extremely furious if Woodward spends more than 15m (let alone 22.2) on this guy.

For once, just prove that we don't fecking care . Just go for a different option.
Issue with this is we are down to our third choice and are yet to sign any of Oles top targets....

Sell Smalling buy Telles. Simple really.

We will save on wages.

Also in Portugal they are saying 20million euro so that is quite reasonable.

LonelyFire

They will also pay Smalling about 4 million in wages and he will sit at home all year and they will get a smaller fee next year.
That’s not the issue though is it - you’re trying to compare someone who is out of contract in less than a year with someone who will still be under contract. It’s a stupid comparison.

Walters_19_MuFc

Whilst I agree, its crazy to think we've left it so late. It probably means if we dont get this over the line, then it'll be too late to go for anyone else.

jesperjaap

I havent seen a huge amount of Telles but personally even with Dalot going which was one option as cover, i am happy enough with the cover we have for SHaw for this season. WOuldn be averse to us missing out if we move on to Nuno Mendes in future windows

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
If they rejected that leave it. It’s a painful cycle that doesn’t help when the whole of the football world have generated this opinion we are mugs. I cannot lie we as fans don’t help.
I think this is an important point and pretty overlooked. We are viewed as a mess regardless of whether we actually are or not. People always underestimate the importance of perception in football, it’s often more important than performances and results in some cases.

LonelyFire

Extremely furious? Come on mate, there are plenty of other things going on at Utd to be furious about. Namely the owners continually taking money out of the club.

That said, I agree with your sentiment. I think the club are right on this particular deal. My only issue is if Ole wants a left back and Porto are being unrealistic, then why haven’t we went for an alternative? It’s the same with Sancho - no problem if club felt valuation was too high but why on earth have they spent all summer chasing him if they knew the fee was too high? It’s amateur hour strategy. Stumbling about last minute.

Castia

There’s no guarantee we get him for free or even for a fee in January a lot could happen.

If Shaw gets injured which is highly likely going off recent seasons we’re left with Williams who’s essentially covering RB as well. Williams and TFM as back up is as poor as it’s ever been.

Bottom line for me is he’s worth 20m regardless of his contract situation, sign him up.

Dan_F

That’s not the issue though is it - you’re trying to compare someone who is out of contract in less than a year with someone who will still be under contract. It’s a stupid comparison.
You could argue that the age difference kind of negates that a bit. Expecting £20 million for a 30 year old, who isn’t in first team plans vs wanting £20 million for your 27 year old best player. If we don’t get a fee for Smalling this year, we will have to pay his wages and will be looking at £8 million fee next year if we’re lucky.

We’re paying Cavani’s agent £10 million to get him in, so I don’t know why people think we’d just walk in and sign Telles for free in 3 months. He’d want higher agent fees and higher wages over the course of a 4 year contract.

Hopefully we still get the deal done, I think most people are annoyed because it looks like more incompetence by Woodward. As a one off transfer, of course it makes sense to negotiate, yet all of our transfers seem to be handled badly in one way or another.

bond19821982

Extremely furious? Come on mate, there are plenty of other things going on at Utd to be furious about. Namely the owners continually taking money out of the club.

That said, I agree with your sentiment. I think the club are right on this particular deal. My only issue is if Ole wants a left back and Porto are being unrealistic, then why haven’t we went for an alternative? It’s the same with Sancho - no problem if club felt valuation was too high but why on earth have they spent all summer chasing him if they knew the fee was too high? It’s amateur hour strategy. Stumbling about last minute.
We dont know that yet . We may still sign that Ukrainian kid. Just judge the club after the window is closed.

Rolaholic

So we've gone from slagging off a player for playing in Portugal to hoping we sign a lad from the Ukranian league?

:lol:

Giggsy13

£15 million is a fair offer for a player on the final year of his deal who’s desperate to join us. However, Ed and our board are working with zero good will from our supporters (and rightfully so). The leaks coming from the club today are just more fuel to the toxic fire they’ve created this window. Get close to the fecking fee you clueless morons and get Telles in here by tomorrow.

Last edited:

bond19821982

Real football clubs don’t let it go to this point in the window. Its needlessly desperate.
What is desperate? Trying to find a best deal so that club can save money ?

There is nothing as " real football club". All clubs does that. As you said, there are so many other things you can be pissed at Woodward but this is not one of them. He is right here.

Status
Not open for further replies.