Alisson Becker | Budding Target Man

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I think he is more brave than good with his feet. He's got good passing skills but not special as Ederson. It can't be something casual anyway. Need fo be trained as part of buiding the playing style of the team as we see with Man City, Bayern or Germany.

I disagree that the quality of a goalkeeper with his feet is not so important. Its fundamental in the modern game imo. I can't think of any team playing high pressure/high possession football without one those keepers.

I could be wrong but i believe many people try to underestimate the relevence of a passing goalkeeper because they feel its a weakness of De Gea, but its a mistake. DDG could play that style for sure.
Yeah watching the matches on Tuesday it was noticeable how good the four GKs(Neuer, Allison,Lopez, Ter Stegen) who played that day were with their feet.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
What a fecking performance.

A lesser keeper and we'd be going out.

izec

Dont think he had that much to do, standard saves, apart from the Alba chance. Thought that was a great save right before HT.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He doesn't look quite up to the old fitness standards but he's about 10 years younger and was injured for a year. His basics are still top notch.
Neuer had a very serious injury, but managed to recover. He won't be back to his old self, because recovering from an injury that requires a nine month period must have been quite a battle.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
What a fecking performance.

A lesser keeper and we'd be going out.
Eh? He didn't do anything remarkable at all. If he let any of Barca's tame attempts in he'd be doing a Karius

He didn't do much but he inspires confidence. The defenders know he'll help position them and under pressure he's effectively a 5th man in the back line.

Sad to think he's better on the ball than some of our outfield players.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
He didn't do much but he inspires confidence. The defenders know he'll help position them and under pressure he's effectively a 5th man in the back line.

Sad to think he's better on the ball than some of our outfield players.
Agree. He transmits alot of confidence.

Treble

Made more difficult saves against Napoli. Last night was solid but not a spectacular performance.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Still not seen anything that warrants all the praise he gets. Most of it seems to stem from clean sheets which is usually more to do with others than it is the keeper.

He certainly doesn't inspire confidence with his monthly almost giving the ball away to the attacker trope he does.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
He saved 2 or 3 chances where they had clear shots free on goal.

The fact that he is so quick to close down attackers makes it look less impressive than it is. De Gea would have been in full stretch with lightning speed standing on his line in order to save those.

Treble

The fact that he is so quick to close down attackers makes it look less impressive than it is. De Gea would have been in full stretch with lightning speed standing on his line in order to save those.
Shots were crap/average though. Any good keeper should have dealt with them.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

:lol:

DRM

Another super signing by Klopp. After a slightly shaky start to the season, he's established himself as one of the best keepers in the league. He was really good against barca 2nd leg, i'd argue he kept liverpool in the game and was really solid last night too. Him and VVD have made a huge difference to liverpools defense.

fastwalker

In my opinion and on his day, David De Gea is a better keeper. Not on current form, but on his day De Gea definitely gets my vote. That said, Allison is a good keeper. I think the hype around him is slightly over-blown to be honest because your previous number one Karius, who was utterly inept. Almost any upgrade on such an incompetent footballer is better. The great talent of Allison is not just his shot-stopping and ability to play the ball out from the back, it is ultimately the confidence that he gives the back four. You can tell that the players trust him, which was missing last season with the calamitous Karius.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Well, I did tell you @B20 he was pretty good back in July.

Thought his passing yesterday was a bit off though. But what a first Season this lad has had. Remember when Mignolet was dropping howlers every other week? Can we have those times back please.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
In my opinion and on his day, David De Gea is a better keeper. Not on current form, but on his day De Gea definitely gets my vote. That said, Allison is a good keeper. I think the hype around him is slightly over-blown to be honest because your previous number one Karius, who was utterly inept. Almost any upgrade on such an incompetent footballer is better. The great talent of Allison is not just his shot-stopping and ability to play the ball out from the back, it is ultimately the confidence that he gives the back four. You can tell that the players trust him, which was missing last season with the calamitous Karius.
At best De Gea is a better shot stopper on his day but even that is debatable, Alison has total control over his box and plays out from the back unlike De Gea who can't do either.

Alison is a much better overall goalkeeper than De Gea even when De Gea is on his game

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Love him. Best keeper in the league and as with so many other games this season, we aren't keeping a clean sheet yesterday with Mingo or Karius in goal

Whiskey Red

Supports
Liverpool
De Gea for me is the best shot stopper in the world, he is like a frigging cat. Allison is better suited to our team though because his distribution is better than De Gea. You are correct though, the biggest impact Allison has had is confidence.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Best keeper in the business right now for me. Stopped a couple of clear goal chances yesterday that would've completely changed the trajectory of the final.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Best keeper in the business right now for me. Stopped a couple of clear goal chances yesterday that would've completely changed the trajectory of the final.
I love him but that’s just not true. He didn’t make one extraordinary save or whatever, just what you expect from a good (great) goalkeeper and nothing more.

AOAARON

Supports
liverpool
Another super signing by Klopp. After a slightly shaky start to the season, he's established himself as one of the best keepers in the league. He was really good against barca 2nd leg, i'd argue he kept liverpool in the game and was really solid last night too. Him and VVD have made a huge difference to liverpools defense.
what i like is despite his shaky start it didnt rattle him at all. that speaks volumes about his mentality.

he just came out in the press along with klopp and said im not gonna do that stuff anymore (playing the ball like a kaka by the goal).

Last edited by a moderator:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I love him but that’s just not true. He didn’t make one extraordinary save or whatever, just what you expect from a good (great) goalkeeper and nothing more.
I don't recall saying the saves were extraordinary, just that they were pivotal and many other keepers may not have done as well to keep them out.

Moiraine

Anyone would have been an improvement on loris karius
But lets not take the credit away, he has been consistent and one of the top performers for Liverpool this season

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I don't recall saying the saves were extraordinary, just that they were pivotal and many other keepers may not have done as well to keep them out.
Then they’re pretty average keepers. None of the saves he had to make yesterday were hard.

Schneckerl

Although Alisson didn't face overly difficult shots, he had a lot to do in a high pressure situation and looked calm all the time. Good to have someone like that and certainly not a given with how many GK feckups we've seen in recent high profile games.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Overrated due to Liverpool's good defence. Don't think I've seen him do a single impressive thing yet. I've seen him fanny about with the ball at his feet more than I've seen good saves.

The opposite of what Dave has been for us, where we saw our defence overrated because of how good he is.

BolehLand

Supports
Valencia
De Gea for me is the best shot stopper in the world, he is like a frigging cat. Allison is better suited to our team though because his distribution is better than De Gea. You are correct though, the biggest impact Allison has had is confidence.
De Gea need a good team mate and good tactics to distribute the ball right from the back.

redordead04

Supports
Liverpool
Overrated due to Liverpool's good defence. Don't think I've seen him do a single impressive thing yet. I've seen him fanny about with the ball at his feet more than I've seen good saves.

The opposite of what Dave has been for us, where we saw our defence overrated because of how good he is.
Did you not watch the United V Liverpool game at Old Trafford this season? He made arguably his most impressive piece of goalkeeping this season in that game.

I think what you're saying is some way right though. Its a combination of the defence and Alisson that should get the plaudits as without one another they would be significantly weaker.

I'm the final Alisson played very well as some of the shots he faced had the potential to be spilled. His positioning etc was all top class but no out of this world saves. Just steady assuredness.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Did you not watch the United V Liverpool game at Old Trafford this season? He made arguably his most impressive piece of goalkeeping this season in that game.

I think what you're saying is some way right though. Its a combination of the defence and Alisson that should get the plaudits as without one another they would be significantly weaker.

I'm the final Alisson played very well as some of the shots he faced had the potential to be spilled. His positioning etc was all top class but no out of this world saves. Just steady assuredness.
Yeah he’s definitely added some reassurance. I don’t remember that save, though I’m sure he has made a few standout ones.

The Boogeyman

Supports
Liverpool
His save against Napoli was excellent, and without it Liverpool would've been dumped from Champions League.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Most of the saves he made were pretty easy, pretty straight at him although he did position well.

For me it's more the calmness he brings to Liverpool back 4. Never seems shaky on claiming crosses and that obviously spreads confidence to rest of the team considering they've had Mingolet or Karius behind them for last 5 years.

As much as I like Pickford there is a gulf in mentality between him and Allisson. Alisson actually is only a year older but looks like ten years older on the pitch when Pickford has his blood rushing to the head games, he needs to calm down a bit.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Alisson has exceptional speed, anticipation and positioning. He is always in the right place to turn difficult saves into easier ones, which is why he has the highest save percentage around. The polar opposite of shay given-style saves for the cameras.

Hughie77

Won them the champions league, kept them in it, against Napoli, kept them in it against Barca, and kept them in it in Final.

Motm in Final for pool. Big Money but has repaid it, fair play, but He's got a Quality CB in front, and 2 class full backs, that makes it easier.

See how 2nd season compares.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He put in a VDS style performance. Solid, nothing spectacular but spread assurance across the defence when the rest of the side was panicking. That is worth it’s weight in gold.

Compare that to DDG under pressure in World Cup and you can see why Alisson is rated so highly even though technically he’s nothing that special in the goalkeeping department outside of distribution.