All aboard the Rangnick Train

HailtotheKing

I really can't wait to see what he does with this squad, but none of this is unique. We see it every time a new manager comes in. Conte was unhappy with overweight players, Gerrard has banned ketchup, Smith used his first session to 'lay down the ground rules,' all within the last few weeks.

Ole in 2019:

Ralf should be judged not on what he says, but what he does. So far, it's all looking very promising. Let's hope he keeps it up.
I hear you. The difference is Ralfs words are about off the pitch. It’s one thing coming in and banning ketchup or laying down the ground rules to the players. And I’m sure Ralf is doing that. But what he’s said has a much bigger impact to the club as whole in terms of player power, spending and investment. This is bigger than just a few rousing words and laying down the law cause you’re the new guy, like every new guy does.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
“Players have to want to stay and play for this club” If Ole said that a few weeks ago people would be losing their shit.
I'd love it. I had been waiting for him to say that and much more - some of the players we have were taking advantage of Ole being too nice. Now that things have changed some are already looking to leave or look disinterested because Ole is no longer here and they actually have to work. After all, United was never a club that give in to players demands too easily but recently it has become the norm.

MasterCode

Time to start giving him credit now. We were very dominatant and controlled and i never felt like we'd concede as we have all season.

We need to improve obviously and were average attacking.

But he put 4 strikers on to finish, had Dalot and Telles way up supporting mf. It was a tactical win.

Has managed egos well, stopped the absolute leak of goals and nobody can argue that we were completely composed for 90 minutes today. The only downside is lack of creation.
He's an interim manager and just that. Nothing special to what he's done. Lets not get ahead of ourselves. He's not exactly come in and set the world alight. This has been between a sub-par to alright performance so far in his Manchester United career.

We won at the death lets not overhype this "interim" manager.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We're seeing steady improvements in this side over the last 3 or 4 games. Whatever they're doing on the training ground is working. We're not seeing as many unforced errors as we did under Ole - especially from the backline who have been guilty of that all season. We look more energetic, more willing to take risks, the backline is solid as a rock, McFred is functioning well - albeit stifling our attacking output somewhat - and DDG is back to his best.

Things are looking up for the first time in a long time.

I don’t even care where we finish. Agree with you OP, I just want him to restore manager power as and standards which is what he is doing. Performances, player development and results will naturally follow from that.

Ogaranya

Things are gradually clicking together, he survived the heat with his calm and honest personality.

It is not easy to fix a team that were not well coached for the past three years.

Seij

We're seeing steady improvements in this side over the last 3 or 4 games. Whatever they're doing on the training ground is working. We're not seeing as many unforced errors as we did under Ole - especially from the backline who have been guilty of that all season. We look more energetic, more willing to take risks, the backline is solid as a rock, McFred is functioning well - albeit stifling our attacking output somewhat - and DDG is back to his best.

It's clear that the players had been spoiled and coddled over the past 3 years. They're going to whine that they have to *gasp* train until 5PM or *gasp* watch video analysis of themselves or *gasps* not be allowed to vacation in Dubai whenever they get a knock. The ones who won't adopt and hold themselves to some standards should be shown their way out the door.

DanielofLeyland

It's clear that the players had been spoiled and coddled over the past 3 years. They're going to whine that they have to *gasp* train until 5PM or *gasp* watch video analysis of themselves or *gasps* not be allowed to vacation in Dubai whenever they get a knock. The ones who won't adopt and hold themselves to some standards should be shown their way out the door.
I think this is the point. Players will either adapt to the new regime or rebel. Those that rebel can leave. Those that adapt will prosper.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Manager power sounds good but it can work two ways.

If I were an Everton fan I would rather Digne and James were still in the squad, for example.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Slowly moving in the right direction.
Hopefully continues to do so now he's actually got time in between games rather than games every few days and covid scenarios to deal with.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I have to say the first few weeks I was worried, but the last 3/4 games have definitely given me hope we can turn the corner.

We look a lot more organised, build up play is 10x better. We actually look like a team with a plan right now.

The only issue is the attackers are all in poor form right now. We desperately need one of them to carry us.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I have to say the first few weeks I was worried, but the last 3/4 games have definitely given me hope we can turn the corner.

We look a lot more organised, build up play is 10x better. We actually look like a team with a plan right now.

The only issue is the attackers are all in poor form right now. We desperately need one of them to carry us.
Think it's going to take a big coaching job to work on our spacing in the final third, not sure Ralf can do it midseason. It's not lack of form as much as it is lack of being in the right spots/moving to the right spots to make the attackers job easier. They just kind of wing it currently.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Yes! Starting to see improvements and our results are consistent (bar the wolves game) Potential for a good end to this seasons and reasons to be positive, so all aboard! (Even if it’s only cos there are no transfer muppet trains scheduled this month)

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Give him the keys so he can prepare for the next manager (ETH) so that he can move upstairs.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Knee-jerk positivity abound this evening I see. We'll be back to our true selves soon enough.

MalaysianRed7

Was so happy to see him chuck Cavani on for Fred. All 3 of his substitutes, and Ronaldo, then created the winning goal. Ole, Mourinho or LvG would have undoubtedly just not made changes or at the most, like for like ones. We’d probably have ended up being sucker punched, ultimately losing the game.

Ralf’s in game management was poor against Villa, but boy did he learn quick, which I suppose should have been a given considering his status as a footballing professor back home. Shored up the Brentford game, and then won the West Ham game by adopting Fergie’s old ‘chuck all the attackers on’ tactic. Peter Schmeichel calls it risk mode in his book, where we just throw the kitchen sink at teams with an invincible aura. This is the closest definition to the United way, if there is something like that. I love that all this came about from him admitting his mistake in his press conference as well. Ole would have admitted it and simply done the same thing, while Mourinho would have blamed Shaw or Pogba or something like that. No ego despite his status.

He’s doing a good, 7/10 job so far. No matter how this season ends though, I know we’re in good hands with him as a consultant for the next two seasons.

RuudTom83

The best thing about Ralf is, good, bad or ugly, he will tell you why it happened in the presser.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Managers get praise (and rightly so) when things go well and the pitchforks come out when we’ll-intentioned plans backfire. Either way, Rangnick has a method to his style and it’s slowly starting to show.

To me the biggest plus point today apart from the 3 points was our clean sheet. It’s almost as good as another goal in itself.

BaneIsPain

Knee-jerk positivity abound this evening I see. We'll be back to our true selves soon enough.
Wouldn't it be great, if the West Ham game is the indicator of the beginning to show our true selves?

Foxbatt

I like the fact he brought on Martial. Shows he is not a weak guy. I am glad Martial responded too.

Wing Attack Plan R

Well said, RT, long may it continue.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Things are gradually clicking together, he survived the heat with his calm and honest personality.

It is not easy to fix a team that were not well coached for the past three years.
Quite agree.
His job this season was never going to be simple.
But what I am seeing is beginning to look impressive.
The biggest improvements are the increasing levels of work rate and organisation.
They also look to be more together as a unit.
All of the players seem to be more aware of their roles.
And I don't share the concerns about tightening the defence. It was absolutely necessary and gives you something to build from.

Ixion

It isnt knee-jerk. The games against Villa and Brentford also had promising signs so there is a trend.

Nick7

Genuinely think we’re getting better game by game but the squad composition means we will still struggle at times. I like his pressers and to be perfectly honest when he was announced I thought the real meat of his time here will be in the two year consultancy. He was brought in to steady the ship and he’s slowly doing that and we’re slowly getting better performances.

Nickelodeon

I hope we give him enough say in his consultant stint. His job, managerial or otherwise, is going to take a while to be completely implemented. There will be highs like last night and lows like Wolves. But now we’ve got him on board, I hope we give him the tools to make changes to the squad and get in a manager who is compatible with his vision of playing style and squad management. Only if we get these things aligned, will we have a long term progression rather than the spurts of minor progress followed by crushing lows.

Laurencio

I hope we give him enough say in his consultant stint. His job, managerial or otherwise, is going to take a while to be completely implemented. There will be highs like last night and lows like Wolves. But now we’ve got him on board, I hope we give him the tools to make changes to the squad and get in a manager who is compatible with his vision of playing style and squad management. Only if we get these things aligned, will we have a long term progression rather than the spurts of minor progress followed by crushing lows.
I'm not hopeful. The club has clearly decided against signing his targets in January - which tells you he's not looking likely to have much of an impact on recruitment.

Bestietom

had a chance to move on Martial this window and maybe bring in a defensive midfielder who we badly need. Now it seems all things are rosy again. Do anyone think there is someone over ruling Rangnick already.