g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

All time British/Irish fantasy draft, S-F: Edgar vs Skizzo

Who will win assuming all players are at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
........................................Team Edgar.........................................................................Team Skizzo/Pat..........................................

Edgar's Opening formation -

Edgar's Tactics -

Team Formation:

4-1-3-2

Core Strategy:

A balanced strategy that utilizes the best of my attack.

Defensive Strategy:

.................... Stiles .....................
Gemmell .. Hughes .. Mcgrath .. Cohen

Players in brief:

Gemmell: A stalwart defender who has been voted as the LB in all time Celtic XI. He is a very aggressive defender who takes no prisoners.
Hughes: A Liverpool legend, their first captain to life the European Cup. Recognized by Jock Stein as NT captain material, he went on to achieve that and much more.
McGrath: One of the greatest players to come out of Ireland. Sir Alex Ferguson "You have to wonder what a player McGrath should have been." "Paul had similar problems to George Best [but] he was without doubt the most natural athlete in football you could imagine"
Cohen: The WC winning Right Back of England. Part of Alf Ramsey's wingless wonders he is a a solid straight forward defender. Nothing flashy about the way he does his job, but operating in a formation that doesn't have the support of wingers in front, he excelled all the way to the biggest win of anyone's career!
Stiles: One of the best DM's in the draft. A midfield destroyer who excels in sniffing out attacks and breaking up opposition plays. WC winner who marked Eusebio out.
The full backs will operate at a balanced level, supporting both offence and defence as necessary. Stiles will asked to take a handle on Denis Law. He won't exactly be man marking, but will be instructed to limit Law's goal scoring impact on the match to a great extent. With Law mitigated, McGrath can step up to handle John Charles. This will negate any height advantage and McGrath is a brilliant reader and a physical tackler of the game. With Hughes always there to support, I have his attack under control.

Attacking Strategy:

...... Hughes....Owen........
.. Brady .Gascoigne. Best ..

The incredibly talented trio of Brady, Gazza & Best make up my attacking midfield. Being the best attacker of the trio, Best will use his skills and dribbling ability to beat opposition defence and cause havoc. Gazza's talent in finding gaps and threading genius passes is perfectly supported by Brady's sublime elegance and genius left foot. Between these two, they have the ability to open up any opposition defence.

This midfield has everything: Elegance, Pace, Vision, Passing, Close Control, Ability to open up defences, Dribbling.

With this array of creative talents at my disposal, the front two of Hughes and Owen will have no shortage of opportunities to try and score. Hughes will be operating slightly behind Owen. In addition to his undeniable goal scoring abilities, his ability to hold up the ball would be perfect for a pacey operator like Owen. Between them they have the ability to create and score past any defence.

Players in brief:

Liam Brady: Elegant technical skills, Golden left foot, Brilliant passing and close control.
Paul Gascoigne: The most naturally gifted English midfielder of his generation. Acknowledged by Alex Ferguson as one one of his biggest transfer misses.
George Best: Legend. Best winger in this draft. Greatest player to ever pull on the green shirt of Northern Ireland. One of the greatest dribblers of all time, his playing style combined pace, skill, balance, feints, two-footedness, goalscoring and the ability to beat defenders.

Mark Hughes: United fans need no introduction. Physical and won't let any defender dominate his, he has the ability to score himself or hold up the ball allowing Gazza/Brady/Owen to score.
Michael Owen: Balon d'Or winner. Silky smooth technician and uber deadly in the box. His pace and movement will perfectly complement the play of Hughes.
Skizzo/Pat's Tactics -

We’ve assembled a squad with cast-iron credentials and pedigree at the very highest level. With our newest additions, we boast a stunning 8 European Cup/CL winners in our starting XI, with another two on the bench. 13 of our squad have won a European club trophy, and of the others, John Charles is a multiple-time Scudetto winner and Bobby Moore a World Cup-winning captain.

We retain our lopsided 4-2-3-1 formation, with Charles dropping into defence, Roy Keane replacing Ince, and the legendary Denis Law arriving at centre forward.

Defence:

We field one of the all-time great British goalkeepers in Neville Southall. In front of him, Moore and Charles form an all-star central defence, the finest in the draft and arguably the best possible in this draft pool. Moore commands the defence with his peerless reading of the game, impeccable timing in the tackle and great distribution and Charles completes this brick wall with his speed, strength , footballing ability and unbeatable aerial prowess.

Midfield:

The great Roy Keane replaces Ince to complete a ferociously competitive and richly talented central midfield alongside Lisbon Lions Auld and Murdoch. Bobby Lennox provides the exceptional pace to trouble Cohen and stretch Edgar’s defence. Lennox will be slightly more advanced than Beckham. Beckham will do as Beckham did, dropping deeper or infield to make Utd’s 4-4-2 work against elite opposition, and finding Law and Lennox with arguably the most consistent source of quality crosses in history.

Attack:

The great Denis Law takes over at centre forward. Quite possibly Utd’s greatest ever striker, he brings a fantastic range of qualities to the role. Quick, strong in the air, creative and fiercely committed, he is first and foremost a deadly finisher and prolific goalscorer. He’ll thrive on the service from our midfield. As if Edgar didn’t have enough to worry about, Lennox is the most prolific winger in the draft, and Auld averaged a goal every 3 games from central midfield in his second stint at Celtic!

How The Game Will Be Won:

First and foremost, goal threat. Denis Law scored 46 goals in 42 games and Bobby Lennox 44 goals in 44 games in their most prolific seasons. Auld averaged a goal every 3 games from midfield in his second spell at Celtic. As if that wasn’t enough, we’ve got the highly tempting option of switching to 4-4-2 and bringing the great John Charles (43 goals in 41 games in 1953/54) into attack. Edgar simply doesn’t have that calibre of goalscoring in his team. He has added the great George Best, but at the heavy cost of a much-needed upgrade at centre forward. Hughes has never reached the benchmark of a 1 goal in 2 games average across a season. Owen has, but we’re unconvinced that Edgar can afford to sacrifice Hughes’ superior hold-up play.

Secondly, we have the superior defence. Moore and Charles is a centre back partnership that could hold its own in an all-time world draft. In the context of a British and Irish draft, its simply unbeatable. Southall is by some distance the better goalkeeper than Given, and we’re at the very least as strong at full back, with Neville bettering Cohen and Gemmill edging Dunne.

Finally, proven partnerships. We retain the Lisbon Lions core that has served us so well. Auld and Murdoch formed probably the greatest center midfield partnership of their time, and played most other teams of that time off the park. With their teammate Lennox on the left wing, they have the familiarity of playing with each other, and an understanding that can be the difference in a close game such as this. Neville and Beckham also have the understanding of playing together after spending years marauding and running the right wing for United. They have the benefit of knowing when each will be making runs, and when to overlap if the opportunity arises. They also offer cover for each other and can both put in a defensive shift when necessary. We now add the formidable Roy Keane to the Neville/Beckham dynamic.

Now I know that just because players played together, it doesn't mean they should win, but here we have players who can be considered among the best at their positions on an individual basis, but now we are also able to add the benefit of playing them in tandem with their teammates who they dominated domestically and in Europe with

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Where is Paul Scholes? :mad:

Not too convinced by the Stiles and Gascoigne core against Murdoch-Keane-Auld trio. Really don't see the point in sacrificing Scholes for an extra striker considering Skizzo/Pat's strength in midfield. Neither do they have a central defense which could be possibly exploited by a strike duo. I understand that Owen or Hughes alone isn't all that impressive or threatening but it is in no way worth sacrificing Scholes imo.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Hm. Initial remarks:

1. I won't be voting here, don't think it's proper (I maintained that stance throughout the last round and it's obviously even more...er, obvious here).

2. This point:

As if that wasn’t enough, we’ve got the highly tempting option of switching to 4-4-2 and bringing the great John Charles (43 goals in 41 games in 1953/54) into attack.
...is not fair to make unless you explain precisely how this stratagem should be incorporated. If Charles plays at the back, his attacking prowess is completely irrelevant. If you plan on using him actively as an attacking asset, you need to explain how the trio of Dunne, Moore and Neville are to compensate for the loss of a CB - and, quite frankly, I think you'd struggle to do just that.

In short, and take this the right way now, lads - this is a bit of a cheap shot. You need to do better than to simply mention the obvious fact that Charles is a formidable CF, because this is, again, perfectly irrelevant as long as he ain't playing as one.

3. Stiles looks very much like an extra defender in that set-up. Which is fair enough in itself - and I acknowledge that he's meant to take care of Law to an extent. How pertinent that is, however, I ain't sure at the moment. Law cuts in a way which doesn't seem immediately compatible with Stiles' marking qualities. I buy Stiles as an extra defender, if you will - I don't buy him as sticking to Law. If he's to do the latter, he won't be operating in the area he's seemingly meant to be in as per default. And the downside to him looking like an extra defender is obviously that he doesn't look much like a part of the midfield equation at all. His passing skills are rudimentary at this level (a semi-final, let's not kid ourselves).

Now, remember: Initial remarks, don't go crazy.

Skizzo

@Chesterlestreet

To respond to the Charles comment. Understand the confusion around that, but we didn't intend to imply that we would use the same personnel and just throw Charles up top. It was just mentioned in the write up that we have an alternative option and that Charles obviously isn't just a defender...But that we have the ability to alter tactics and make a sub to push him up top.

Hope that makes a bit more sense.

Skizzo

And since I forgot earlier...good luck @Edgar Allan Pillow

In opening comments, I think it was a bold move dropping Scholes...But I'm not sure it would pay off with the set up.

There's a lack of graft and tracking back in that front 5, and I think that is going to edge the possession in our favour. The more we have the ball, the less the opposition has the ability to try and hurt us. Hughes and Owen will struggle to create much and take any chances against Moore and Charles. We also have the added benefit of having Keane, Beckham, et Al who will work defensively to limit space and work to win the ball back. I don't think Edgar can count on getting a similar work rate from this midfield and forwards.

Gotta go coach now...I'll be back a little later.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
@Chesterlestreet

It just seems like an extra tactical option where they could sub off Auld/Murdoch and bring in Lawrenson to make it a 4-4-2. There's nothing about 3 at the back and they are just highlighting their tactical versatility and the options they have.

I can see Best getting some joy against Dunne here.

Great decision by Skizzo/Pat to do away with Lawrenson (who wasn't getting too much love) and bring in Charles into the defense to stick with a 4-2-3-1.

crappycraperson

Scout
Where is Paul Scholes? :mad:

Not too convinced by the Stiles and Gascoigne core against Murdoch-Keane-Auld trio. Really don't see the point in sacrificing Scholes for an extra striker considering Skizzo/Pat's strength in midfield. Neither do they have a central defense which could be possibly exploited by a strike duo. I understand that Owen or Hughes alone isn't all that impressive or threatening but it is in no way worth sacrificing Scholes imo.
Makes zero sense. Drop Owen, play Scholes in MF with Stiles for a simple 4231

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
@Chesterlestreet

To respond to the Charles comment. Understand the confusion around that, but we didn't intend to imply that we would use the same personnel and just throw Charles up top. It was just mentioned in the write up that we have an alternative option and that Charles obviously isn't just a defender...But that we have the ability to alter tactics and make a sub to push him up top.

Hope that makes a bit more sense.
Fair enough to mention it as a possibility, but then I think it should be done more pointedly, if you will. And one may ask what the point actually is: If you go behind or struggle to score, you can switch to a 4-4-2 and use the big man up front. Well, that's good - but it's not a positive for the formation you actually sport here and now.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Just a detail, but devils and details and all that: Murdoch is celebrated as an almost perfectly two-footed player. So, I don't see any reason not to have him and Keano switch sides here - NOT a major point, I stress that, it just struck me as odd, given Murdoch's ambidextrous (or whatever the hell the term is for feet) nature.

Skizzo

Fair enough to mention it as a possibility, but then I think it should be done more pointedly, if you will. And one may ask what the point actually is: If you go behind or struggle to score, you can switch to a 4-4-2 and use the big man up front. Well, that's good - but it's not a positive for the formation you actually sport here and now.
We didn't point it as a benefit to the current formation...But pointed out the option we have. It's no different than mentioning a sub we have that could offer a tactical advantage later.

We didn't say we would be switching formations constantly all game.

crappycraperson

Scout
Just a detail, but devils and details and all that: Murdoch is celebrated as an almost perfectly two-footed player. So, I don't see any reason not to have him and Keano switch sides here - NOT a major point, I stress that, it just struck me as odd, given Murdoch's ambidextrous (or whatever the hell the term is for feet) nature.
Skizzo may want Keane on Best's side.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Makes zero sense. Drop Owen, play Scholes in MF with Stiles for a simple 4231
Tbf on EAP, it looks like he's assumed that Skizzi/Pat would go with a 4-4-2 with Charles and Law up top.

He won't exactly be man marking, but will be instructed to limit Law's goal scoring impact on the match to a great extent. With Law mitigated, McGrath can step up to handle John Charles
Even then I wouldn't have been too convinced by the Stiles and Gazza duo dealing with a Murdoch/Auld-Keane partnership, esp when you take into consideration that Stiles also has a job of looking after Law? It's looks like an unnecessary 3 at the back set up even if Pat/Skizzo went with a strike duo.

Skizzo

Keane offers a higher work rate and more defensive work to balance Lennox being a little higher. While Murdoch is really no slouch, we weighed the benefits of having Keane's tenacity there... And while he won't be everywhere...having him closer to Best is a benefit.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
We didn't point it as a benefit to the current formation...But pointed out the option we have. It's no different than mentioning a sub we have that could offer a tactical advantage later.

We didn't say we would be switching formations constantly all game.
Yeah, alright. I won't harp on about it. I've said what I think. Charles up front is an option for you - as anybody can tell. An option. Not currently taken.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Keane offers a higher work rate and more defensive work to balance Lennox being a little higher. While Murdoch is really no slouch, we weighed the benefits of having Keane's tenacity there... And while he won't be everywhere...having him closer to Best is a benefit.
Fair points.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Stiles on a man-marking duty and what's left of Edgar's midfield? This is a huge turn-off for me, he had probably the most balanced team in the draft at the group stages and he threw it all away. Midfield battle of Keane, Murdoch, Auld and Beckham versus Brady, Gazza and Best?

And you have Paul Scholes on the bench!

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I for one can't believe we are at this stage of the draft and Emlyn Hughes is at CB and Mark Hughes up front. Its a shame because I prefer your side Ed if you had two quality players in those positions. Skizzo's side is more solid but Ed's is more spectacular.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I for one can't believe we are at this stage of the draft and Emlyn Hughes is at CB and Mark Hughes up front. Its a shame because I prefer your side Ed if you had two quality players in those positions. Skizzo's side is more solid but Ed's is more spectacular.
Read up on Emlyn Hughes, mater. He is good enough for a final. Fanatic defender, Uber aggressive and skilled ball player having operated in midfield and left back.

Hughes, I would probably agree. But here he has a stellar cast. With Best and Gazza coupled with Brady's sublime skills, it will not be a big ask for him. Yes, he has class CB's, but he can do the job here.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
No offence to Murdoch or Auld, but in the creativity department, I would rate Scholes, Gazza and Brady ahead. Scholes as the DLP where he was world class, Gazza orchestering upfront and Brady doing his linkup role in the left can be depended on opening up their defence, notwithstanding his CB's.

- Stiles as a DM will ensure that Auld's impact to be minimal.
- Denis Law will have to do with crosses from Beckham/Lennox.
- Most of Murdoch's goals come from cut backs from Audl / Johnstone. Here with Auld operating ahead and Beckham a totally different footballer from Johnstone, Murdoch's passing will rarely lead to end result.

Vulnerable to Counter: His team is vulnerable to quick counters. No offence to Keane, but he is against Best here. With Gazza running in and Best dribbling, a counter will be far more even for Moore/Dunne to handle.

Annahnomoss

I don't like Shay Given in this box to box role. :wenger::D

Honestly though. EAP went in with the wrong tactics and I think they would affect the game very quickly as they seemed a bit off. Question is if EAP can argue his way back in to the match from a goal or two down. Skizzo has a team which is really brilliant at holding out that lead so I went with Skizzo for now.

harms

Staff
It's better now, of course. And you can argue that with Law being handled (the efficiency of that is another matter) they didn't have enough goal-threat to punish you for your initial mistake in that little time before the change. But I still think that Skizzo/Pat edges it.

Best, who will beat Dunne a couple of times, no doubt, will face Moore, and Keane is also on his side. He still is the Best player on the pitch and is more capable of a moment of magic than anyone else here, but he is covered pretty good. And then you have Mark Hughes, who just isn't good enough for this stage, let alone to face Moore and Charles.

I like your midfield better now, and you have a superior playmakers in Brady and Scholes, but it's not enough for me to change my vote - especially, as crappy specified, when we are not allowed to withdrawn it. Sorry!

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Best, who will beat Dunne a couple of times, no doubt, will face Moore, and Keane is also on his side.
- It's not like you always need a Romario in finals. Not all team who have won CL's always have world class strikers. Yes, it affects the probability of scoring, but it's the system which takes precedence.
- You've totally ignored Gazza and Brady. Both are flexible and intelligent. Brady moving in to the middle for support will keep Murdoch occupied. Keane is not doing a Makelele role here and Gazza's movement will surely get him to goal scoring positions. WithGazza drifting about and Best dribbling in and Hughes hovering around there, even Moore/Charles will find it difficult to handle.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
EAP went in with the wrong tactics and I think they would affect the game very quickly as they seemed a bit off.
Yeah. Skizzo/pat surprised me and the werewolf game kept me busy at crucial time delaying change in tactics.

But then, I still think this is a recoverable game. The creativity is on my side. My players have the ability to unlock his defence.

harms

Staff
- It's not like you always need a Romario in finals. Not all team who have won CL's always have world class strikers. Yes, it affects the probability of scoring, but it's the system which takes precedence.
- You've totally ignored Gazza and Brady. Both are flexible and intelligent. Brady moving in to the middle for support will keep Murdoch occupied. Keane is not doing a Makelele role here and Gazza's movement will surely get him to goal scoring positions. With Gazza drifting about and Best dribbling in and Hughes hovering around there, even Moore/Charles will find it difficult to handle.
This isn't CL, this is a fantasy football and the sides are much stronger than the real ones. I remember saying that in our final :lol:

I didn't ignore them. They are the reason behind me saying that you have a slightly better midfield now. But Brady has Beckham and Neville on him and Beckham can stay on him even if he moves centrally and then you have Murdoch and partly Keane on Gazza. They were not prolific finishers themselves, with Gazza having the same 1 in 3 record in Rangers as Auld here and Brady being marginally inferior to Beckham in that aspect of the game.

I don't like arguing against your team though, I quite like it now, and it's not my job anyway. I just think that the opponent is better.

harms

Staff
No worries. It's all good. Can't make mistakes at this stage of the game.
I feel for you, I'm still thinking what would've happened if I went with my original plan against you in the managers draft. Still would've lost probably :lol:

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
No offence to Murdoch or Auld, but in the creativity department, I would rate Scholes, Gazza and Brady ahead. Scholes as the DLP where he was world class, Gazza orchestering upfront and Brady doing his linkup role in the left can be depended on opening up their defence, notwithstanding his CB's.

- Stiles as a DM will ensure that Auld's impact to be minimal.
- Denis Law will have to do with crosses from Beckham/Lennox.
- Most of Murdoch's goals come from cut backs from Audl / Johnstone. Here with Auld operating ahead and Beckham a totally different footballer from Johnstone, Murdoch's passing will rarely lead to end result.

Vulnerable to Counter: His team is vulnerable to quick counters. No offence to Keane, but he is against Best here. With Gazza running in and Best dribbling, a counter will be far more even for Moore/Dunne to handle.
I don't understand that Murdoch point at all. Why would Murdoch be incapable of receiving cut backs from Auld/Beckham/Lennox/Law? And why would his passing suddenly become ineffective? It doesn't make much sense to me anyway, but you're ignoring Murdoch and Auld's prodigious link up with Lennox too.

On the Law point, I can't imagine any striker in British footballing history complaining about Beckham being their principal source of assists. Not to mention that Lennox was an outstanding footballer who will cause Cohen huge trouble with his pace. Keane's bread and butter, even more than his tackling, was his quality passing to the front men. Murdoch was a magnificent passer and playmaker, and as I've said I honestly have no idea why you think his passing will be negated here with Law and Lennox's movement in front of him.

Stiles and Auld have previous by the way. This doesn't necessarily reflect that well on either of them but its too good a story not to share. From Crops: The Alex Cropley Story, by Alex Cropley:

Bertie Auld had been Dave Ewing's last signing when moving from Celtic in the summer. During his debut against Middlesborough he was quite blatantly 'done', by the rugged former Manchester United player and World Cup winner Nobby Stiles, receiving an injury later diagnosed as a broken collarbone. As he was being attended to by Tom McNiven, I noticed that Bertie's eyes never left Stiles for one second. On resuming play, Auld, a very clever player who could also be absolutely filthy, soon wreaked his revenge, leaving Stiles writhing in agony on the ground, before calmly walking off to receive treatment for his injury. Stiles too was in no condition to continue and he too was taken off to be replaced by a substitute.
Insofar as it tells us anything about our match, its this:

1) Auld is far too prickly and competitive a character to passively allow Stiles to mark/kick him out of the game. At worst, they'll both be largely neutralised as they pursue a personal grudge match. We can afford to cede some of Auld's creativity, as we're already leading and we're very confident in our other midfielders' ability to find our front men, especially given the lack of defensive nous in the rest of your midfield.
2) You're chasing the game now, and as you say, you're looking to hit us on the counter attack. Presumably several of your other midfielders will be fanning upfield, and there'll be a heavy onus on Stiles to pass the ball effectively and somewhat creatively. This was never his strong suit anyway, and with Auld breathing down his neck he'll struggle in possession.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
we're already leading
:(

there'll be a heavy onus on Stiles to pass the ball effectively
No need. Both Mcgrath and Hughes are brilliant ball players. Both have played in midfield too. I wound have no problem getting the ball out of the defence.

What is your strategy on defending a lead here? Still play like you started or are you going to play defensively?

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
:(

No need. Both Mcgrath and Hughes are brilliant ball players. Both have played in midfield too. I wound have no problem getting the ball out of the defence.

What is your strategy on defending a lead here? Still play like you started or are you going to play defensively?
I'm the biggest McGrath fan in the world, and I know he has played in midfield, but he wasn't a brilliant passer of the ball. Very competent for a centre back, and very composed in terms of finding himself an extra few seconds on the ball, but not a guy that's regularly going to find Brady and Gazza with an inch perfect 40 yarder.

As far as tactics, broadly similar with the expected concessions for defending our lead. Keane and Murdoch won't be bursting lungs to get ahead of the ball and bomb into your penalty area. They'll be focussed on defensive shape and cutting off passing lanes. Dunne was never a prodigious over-lapper anyway, but he'll be even more defensive against Best. Neville, as always, will overlap if we're maintaining possession and building up slowly, but he won't be sprinting to the byline. Honestly, in this context I'm convinced we'll be more effective on the counter than you will. I'm assuming you'll be pushing your defensive line up a bit higher, allowing your full backs to attack, and I fancy Beckham will find Lennox or Law more than once with a cross-field pass from a deep position. So basically the same, just more cautiously.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I'm assuming you'll be pushing your defensive line up a bit higher, allowing your full backs to attack,
Not quite. I have Scholes there who can split a pass faster than any of your players can make their lung bursting runs. At best it might be Scholes moving slightly up and supporting the attack without me missing much of defensive ability.

Scholes ability to control the game from the deep needs no explanation. He will make his passes, keep the ball ticking. I admit you have the best CB's in the draft, but if anyone can crack that open, it will be Scholes and Gazza.

You may have the best CB pairing in draft, but then in my favour:
- Best DLP in draft. Scholes (Annah may take offence, but Blanchflower is not playing)
- Best AM in draft. Arguably Gazza.
- Best Winger in draft. George Best.

And McGrath is just a shade below Moore/Charles. Hughes is not that far behind either. Your defence certainly is better, but the gap is not that big, imo.

And some points on game play:
  1. Beckham is not going to fool anyone by his spectacular dribbling. I certainly see no problem in Gemmell moving up to deny him, he is among top 3 LB's in this draft. An they also have Brady who is a had working winger. They have the capability to hold that flank against yours on their own.
  2. Your midfield can dominate most, but not mine. Simply because passing a ball is faster than 'lung bursting runs' as they put it. And mine has the capability to knock the ball around quickly than any of your midfielders can run.
  3. The other flank is definitely mine with Best/Cohen. Without support from Keane/Moore, you'll be at a big disadvantage.

But then you have the early lead and all you can do is sit back and soak up the loss of possession...and that works in my favour. I have the perfect attacking midfield to do that.