All time British/Irish fantasy draft, S-F: Edgar vs Skizzo

Who will win assuming all players are at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Humour me. How will a player with Stiles' skill set mitigate Auld without man marking?

You really believe Lennox to be a 'secondary threat'? :lol: 44 goals in 44 games, with 2 of his 3 most prolific assisters on the pitch, and he's a secondary threat :lol:
Stiles just man marked Eusebio. He was DM even before that and so was chosen for WC. Yes, I consider him (as a non man marker) to be enough to mitigate Auld. It's not Charlton he is against, tbh!

I covered this before. With Keane there and Auld moved upfront, this is not a recreation of the old set up, so expecting the same output will be impossible. With Keane and Beckham there, it's more of a 'could be goo' than 'it was proven', imho.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Stiles just man marked Eusebio. He was DM even before that and so was chosen for WC. Yes, I consider him (as a non man marker) to be enough to mitigate Auld. It's not Charlton he is against, tbh!

I covered this before. With Keane there and Auld moved upfront, this is not a recreation of the old set up, so expecting the same output will be impossible. With Keane and Beckham there, it's more of a 'could be goo' than 'it was proven', imho.
I've just posted the video of Stiles vs Eusebio! It was a hatchet job, not some DM master class. Auld has already shown how he'll deal with that shite.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
On Thursday I asked him what the hell he was doing not bidding on Law, he told me this was his plan. I replied: "Mental, absolutely fecking mental. If you really want two upfront then you would drop Gazza for Scholes in midfield"

Edgar's reply:

Good to see you guys have knocked some sense back into him, I was really worried for his sanity.
Feck anto. Get back to WW :lol:
Ffs that gif :lol::lol::lol:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I've just posted the video of Stiles vs Eusebio! It was a hatchet job, not some DM master class. Auld has already shown how he'll deal with that shite.
You missed my point totally. I said I rate Stiles as DM even without the Eusebio man-marking. And you fixed on that :lol: Nope. If there was a tussle on Auld vs Stiles, man marking or not, I fancy Stiles to have upper hand. Feel free to disagree.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The cost of the Law-Charles swap is that Beckham's presence isn't as compelling as it used to be. Pat/Skizzo using footballuser probably doesn't help either, sharemytactics just looks so much better and more impressive... I used to really like the now missing Lennox arrow.

As for EAP, I've always rated his defence, probably more than he does himself (in reality, not in his posts). His midfield five is fecking brilliant, the most creative and balanced one in the draft at this point, hands down.

The problem is he started with a ridiculous setup and that most likely will have cost him. It's not just recovering the goal(s) but the morale blow of seeing your manager throw you to the lions with Nobby Stiles holding a toothpick. Moreover, I don't think this was a game for Mark Hughes, not against Charles and Moore, Owen's pace and movement would have kept them pinned back and on their toes. Hughes? They'll handle him, and there aren't enough goals coming from elsewhere to turn this around.

You always start conservative and find your feet in the game, being exposed at this level is punished. There's always time to go up a gear. EAP should have started this game as he is playing it now, his most conservative and hardworking side, then brought Owen on if he still needed a goal or to stretch the oppo and exploit countering opportunities once ahead. In that case I would have found it impossible to vote against him and most likely would have voted for. As it is, it's the opposite, I fidn it almost impossible to vote for him and most likely will vote for Pat/Skizzo.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Moreover, I don't think this was a game for Mark Hughes, not against Charles and Moore, Owen's pace and movement would have kept them pinned back and on their toes. Hughes? They'll handle him, and there aren't enough goals coming from elsewhere to turn this around.
He'll be there for the 2nd half of the game. I'm still within the 6 English players limit even with Owen and he will make the difference.

Skizzo

Finally off to sleep. What ever the result (:(), it was a good game @Skizzo @Pat_Mustard .
I'll be heading off soon too. Great game to you too mate, bit of a crap start due to the tactics, but you've done well to mix it up and come back. Hey, there's still time for something to happen.

Obviously I'd still back us to win :p , just as you'd back your boys...but it's been a good game either way

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
That for me is your best formation for this game. You've done a good job trying to come back into this game but it will be incredibly harsh of me to change my vote now, seeing as Skizzo/Pat have done an exemplary job as well.

Reckon the game would have been closer if you started with this and I'd have probably chickened out of voting.

antohan

That for me is your best formation for this game. You've done a good job trying to come back into this game but it will be incredibly harsh of me to change my vote now, seeing as Skizzo/Pat have done an exemplary job as well.

Reckon the game would have been closer if you started with this and I'd have probably chickened out of voting.
It would be harsh indeed seeing as Owen started the gaame and was subbed off. What the hell is he doing back on the pitch?

Seems like EAP has spent alll day in the wrong dugout.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Good, you can't anyway. It's a rule that you can't vote in games that determine your next opponent, a semi clearly being such a game.
Aye, forgot about that.

I think there's something to be said for this rule applying to any knockout round, actually, in an auction draft: Getting reinforcements in (at the right price, etc.) is part and parcel with that particular format - and as such it's very likely you'll find yourself in a compromised/biased position.

I didn't want to emphatically make this point earlier - but now that we're past the q-f stage I feel free to state it, for future reference, as it were.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Strange match, this one.

Edgar should've gone with his last (now invalid) formation from the start - easy to say in hindsight and all, but there it is. I figured he had to play Hughes up front, because of the quota, but now that I realize this is not the case I certainly agree with anto regarding Owen.

Bit of a problem right there, though: Neither Owen nor Hughes will be looked on as top, top strikers at this stage. Personally I think Edgar would've been better off going for Law * - or even, say, Shearer (who is rather higher than Owen on here, I have no doubt).

* Could have been difficult, granted - as Pat and Skizz could have outbid him if they'd been so inclined.

antohan

Aye, forgot about that.

I think there's something to be said for this rule applying to any knockout round, actually, in an auction draft: Getting reinforcements in (at the right price, etc.) is part and parcel with that particular format - and as such it's very likely you'll find yourself in a compromised/biased position.

I didn't want to emphatically make this point earlier - but now that we're past the q-f stage I feel free to state it, for future reference, as it were.
Agree on that for auction drafts.

Strange match, this one.

Edgar should've gone with his last (now invalid) formation from the start - easy to say in hindsight and all, but there it is. I figured he had to play Hughes up front, because of the quota, but now that I realize this is not the case I certainly agree with anto regarding Owen.

Bit of a problem right there, though: Neither Owen nor Hughes will be looked on as top, top strikers at this stage. Personally I think Edgar would've been better off going for Law * - or even, say, Shearer (who is rather higher than Owen on here, I have no doubt).

* Could have been difficult, granted - as Pat and Skizz could have outbid him if they'd been so inclined.
He shouldn't have got Best. Law + Johnstone/Matthews/Finney was a distinct possibility and would have made him far stronger. Mind, may have proved worth the risk to keep Best away from others if he had started this differently and got through it.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yeah. Decisions and deliberations, eh? Pat/Skizz could've easily gone all in for Best too. They wanted an upgrade on Lawro and went with the option of playing Charles at the back. Dunno about that, to be honest. Up front Law is only a slight improvement on Charles (many will say he isn't an improvement at all, but Law is definitely an asset in terms of pulling votes).

Bit odd the way it all went down.

As for Edgar, no way Law + anyone significant was realistic. Law and Best were the obvious targets here - and nobody who went for either was ever going to have money left to land another player on top of that.

Funny that nobody picked up Finney. It's the quota, of course. I half contemplated going for Finney + Morton, actually. Might have done so if someone had fought me over Blanchflower (Finney was always going to be nominated, so I was safe in that regard).

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
The thing is I've been getting a shit load of alerts and PM in the WW game and missed the start totally. By the time I got into this thread, it was 1-7 and against this good a opponent, will need a miracle to overcome.

Well, if we can't expect a miracle during Christmas, when can we? Come on Santa! I believe in you.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The thing is I've been getting a shit load of alerts and PM in the WW game and missed the start totally. By the time I got into this thread, it was 1-7 and against this good a opponent, will need a miracle to overcome.

Well, if we can't expect a miracle during Christmas, when can we? Come on Santa! I believe in you.
Santa sez: "I'm on the other team, ye feckin' muppet!"

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I watched a Scooby Doo cartoon the other day with my niece - and that guy was one of the main characters. It was a wrestling Doo, you know.

I liked that Undertaker bloke myself. Is he still around?
Yeah, I saw that too. Not a bad movie for kids, imo.

Nah, he finally lost about 6 months before and hasn't been seen since. Quite old and probably retired.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Looked like EAP started with a tactical brainfart, but recovered from it fairly quickly. The question being how much damage was caused during that initial period. EAP looks stronger in the middle third so would certainly come back into the game. It's whether Skizzo and Pat would then have the extra bit of quality at the back and up front to keep him at bay...

sajeev

i was going to vote for EAP and then i saw he has Shay Given in goal :nervous: