g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

All time Prem XI - minus United and Arsenal

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Aye I did - way too many attackers :lol: and Suarez because I wanted to play 1 up top - I'd probably prefer Suarez over aguero, but I think in my initial post, I wasn't sure if Suarez was at his peak for long enough in the PL.

But I'm struggling to think of any defenders outside of Arsenal/United - then obviously Chelsea and City. Maybe if Ledley King wasn't ruined by injury.
Attackers are are always easier to remember, Blackburn had Le Saux who could be a shout but has Cole to contend with..

EDIT: Spurs have a few good defenders at the minute too..

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I'd say his peak as a CB during his club career came at Chelsea. He joined the club after being at the heart of one of the greatest international team defenses ever seen and was pretty much at his prime then. Peaking at 30 isn't really unheard of for a defender.

Edit: And he had some fantastic performances in the PL during his time there. I remember Shearer telling what an absolute nightmare it was playing against him.
Well yeah his peak as a player was as a DM in the early-to-mid 1990s and it was mostly latterly he dropped into defence as his legs started to go. He was a step up from what Premier League attackers were used to facing in the 1990s - in his physicality, combativeness and man-marking - and he probably gave that level for a couple of seasons before declining as age took its toll in the 2000s.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Attackers are are always easier to remember, Blackburn had Le Saux who could be a shout but has Cole to contend with..

EDIT: Spurs have a few good defenders at the minute too..
Yeah Le Saux was at the back of my mind. He signed for Chelsea after as well, right? And who could forget Colin Hendry. :drool:

Here's a bit of a silly discussion, but to those who watched Andy Cole regularly at Newcastle (as I didn't), could he be considered better for them, than he was for us? (if wiki is correct, his record for Newcastle was 55 goals in 70 appearances, versus 93 in 195 for us).

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Yeah Le Saux was at the back of my mind. He signed for Chelsea after as well, right? And who could forget Colin Hendry. :drool:

Here's a bit of a silly discussion, but to those who watched Andy Cole regularly at Newcastle (as I didn't), could he be considered better for them, than he was for us? (if wiki is correct, his record for Newcastle was 55 goals in 70 appearances, versus 93 in 195 for us).
Yeah. Certainly as a goalscorer - he was deadly at Newcastle - but lost that reputation at United. More rounded player then though in fairness.

AkaAkuma

No love for Sol Campbell? I would say he was the same player at both spurs and arsenal, Arsenal was just a higher platform.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
No love for Sol Campbell? I would say he was the same player at both spurs and arsenal, Arsenal was just a higher platform.
I'd put Sol in a no-limits Prem XI, but like Cole there is that question mark over where he produced the best football. Not a lot between them to be honest.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Well yeah his peak as a player was as a DM in the early-to-mid 1990s and it was mostly latterly he dropped into defence as his legs started to go. He was a step up from what Premier League attackers were used to facing in the 1990s - in his physicality, combativeness and man-marking - and he probably gave that level for a couple of seasons before declining as age took its toll in the 2000s.
Aye, he had a couple of great seasons for Chelsea before declining quite sharply. I included Terry ahead of him too, mostly as a nod to his longevity in fairness.

As far as left backs go, I'd have Le Saux ahead of Pearce if we're only taking the Premier League era into account. Pearce was already 30 years old when the PL started and was relegated in that first season as part of a very leaky defence, although he did rebound strongly for a good few years after that given his age. Le Saux was class though.

AkaAkuma

I'd put Sol in a no-limits Prem XI, but like Cole there is that question mark over where he produced the best football. Not a lot between them to be honest.
Was class in 98, didnt join arsenal for another 3 seasons.

Moby

Dick
Aye, he had a couple of great seasons for Chelsea before declining quite sharply. I included Terry ahead of him too, mostly as a nod to his longevity in fairness.

As far as left backs go, I'd have Le Saux ahead of Pearce if we're only taking the Premier League era into account. Pearce was already 30 years old when the PL started and was relegated in that first season as part of a very leaky defence, although he did rebound strongly for a good few years after that given his age. Le Saux was class though.
There's also Steve Staunton who was pretty good back in the day with Villa.

And without trying to cause a tsunami of abuse aimed towards me - Ian Harte. :nervous:

Moby

Dick
While Petrescu is the standout RB for me I'd like to give a shout to Rob Jones. Injuries took the toll on what was a pretty talented footballer on course for a very strong career.

Moby

Dick
Ahead of whom?
Who would you have as your right winger say if you were going for a 4-4-2?

Macca peaked quite highly and wasn't far off from someone like Giggs on the opposite flank. Not a coincidence that Madrid snapped him up and went on to attain domestic and European success with him playing critical roles for them during that time.

montpelier

Appreciating that 'all-time' and 'post-1992' aren't the same thing, but Lineker never played in the Premier League while the other three were all past their best.
OK, fair enough. I just wanted to move away from Liverpool-City-Chelsea (nothing wrong with that, innit?) & then began exploiting the Arse/Utd but-better-elsewhere loophole a bit too enthusiastically. Shame about Lineker, I shall replace him with Juan Sebastian Veron.

Desailly is a good idea. Pearce in for me, if Cole is disallowed.

Pat_Mustard

There's also Steve Staunton who was pretty good back in the day with Villa.

And without trying to cause a tsunami of abuse aimed towards me - Ian Harte. :nervous:
Staunton scored some great goals in his time, and was generally a solid defender. First part is true of Harte also, but not the second part :D. I remember watching Ireland matches back then and wishing we could somehow be allowed to wheel Harte on just to take corners and free kicks before carting him back off again. But then again I'm positive I'll be the only one to include Steve Carr in my XI, so I can't point any fingers.

AkaAkuma

Macca peaked quite highly and wasn't far off from someone like Giggs on the opposite flank. Not a coincidence that Madrid snapped him up and went on to attain domestic and European success with him playing critical roles for them during that time.
I'd agree with the Giggs comparison. A game against Celtic is my main memory of him.

Moby

Dick
Staunton scored some great goals in his time, and was generally a solid defender. First part is true of Harte also, but not the second part :D. I remember watching Ireland matches back then and wishing we could somehow be allowed to wheel Harte on just to take corners and free kicks before carting him back off again. But then again I'm positive I'll be the only one to include Steve Carr in my XI, so I can't point any fingers.
Yeah Staunton was a really good defender and definitely better than Harte who had a cracking left foot but wasn't upto that level defensively. Sorta like Baines.

Moby

Dick
I'd agree with the Giggs comparison. A game against Celtic is my main memory of him.
As far as I remember that comparison was constantly done throughout the late 90s and Macca was often dubbed as Giggs' right sided twin or something.

He also carried the Liverpool attack for a fair while and it was often said that to stop Liverpool you need to stop McManaman. There really is no doubt over the fact that he was incredibly talented and a pretty dominating winger.

Also one of the rare British players who went on to be successful in Europe.

Pat_Mustard

Mcmanaman should get more appreciation.
He was excellent, and a worthy shout for the bench, but I couldn't put him in ahead of David Silva. Different styles but Silva was clearly the better Premier League player for me. That mid-90s Liverpool team was really good going forward though. Fowler and Collymore were lethal on their day up front, McManaman was class in a free role, and fat old John Barnes reinvented himself brilliantly at times as a central midfielder. Mercifully, their defence was fairly shite and they were quite a soft-centred bunch.

Moby

Dick
Fowler and Collymore were lethal on their day up front, McManaman was class in a free role, and fat old John Barnes reinvented himself brilliantly at times as a central midfielder.
Indeed, for a while they had it all going under Roy Evans. Fell apart pretty soon though.

montpelier

I'm reading Fowler's book, atm.

It was all Stan Collymore's fault they didn't win multiple Titles.

(book is truly awful, btw)

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

I wouldn't go for a 4-4-2 in the first place I guess

harms

Staff
I wouldnt put him in the first 11 but he'd be a great sub or rotation player on the right. I cant think of many better right sided attackers.
Alright, if we're talking about the place in the squad then I agree

AkaAkuma

He was excellent, and a worthy shout for the bench, but I couldn't put him in ahead of David Silva. Different styles but Silva was clearly the better Premier League player for me. That mid-90s Liverpool team was really good going forward though. Fowler and Collymore were lethal on their day up front, McManaman was class in a free role, and fat old John Barnes reinvented himself brilliantly at times as a central midfielder. Mercifully, their defence was fairly shite and they were quite a soft-centred bunch.
Is Silva right sided? Im no expert but isnt he a 10 or drifting in from the left? For me silva competes with Gerrard, Lampard and Toure for the number 10. While I think he's great at splitting defenses, i'd prefer a more dominant front three.

AkaAkuma

Suarez---Shearer--Bale
---Essien-----Lampard
--------Makelele-----
Cole-Terry-McGrath-Petrescu
----------Cech-------

Subs: Yaya, Gerrard, D. Silva, Aguero, Desailly, Kompany, X. Alonso

Yaya's peak season was simply amazing, Xabi was brilliant, Gerrard had 2 great seasons but I went with a proven trio in the end. Desailly/McGrath is a close one, the rest is indisputable
To be pedantic you dont need both of Gerrard and Toure on the bench, Mcmanaman would be perfect to come on if attacks were failing. Can you think of somebody better at that role?

Moby

Dick
I wouldn't go for a 4-4-2 in the first place I guess
Yeah I got that from the team you posted and I don't think anyone is arguing that's he one of the top overall attackers who'd get into any team but he's the standout proper right winger here, for sure.

AkaAkuma

Dont see him close to the first 11 or bench but Poyet deserves a nod, Juninho and Kinkladze are fondly remembered, but this guy did more.

Pat_Mustard

Is Silva right sided? Im no expert but isnt he a 10 or drifting in from the left? For me silva competes with Gerrard, Lampard and Toure for the number 10. While I think he's great at splitting defenses, i'd prefer a more dominant front three.
He has played all over the attacking midfield line really, but I'd agree that if I was building a team around him I'd play him in the middle. He seems a good fit to provide some playmaking guile though if you're playing someone like Gerrard or Lampard in the middle.

harms

Staff
To be pedantic you dont need both of Gerrard and Toure on the bench, Mcmanaman would be perfect to come on if attacks were failing. Can you think of somebody better at that role?
Yeah, you're right

AkaAkuma

He was pretty good, yes.

One who can never be forgotten - Jay Jay Okocha.
Good shout, but would rank him alongside Juninho and Kinkladze as entertaining players. Poyet I feel contributed a lot and is generally forgotten.

AkaAkuma

Di Canio not making anyone's bench?
Was thinking of him, cant compete with the top players but he'd be an interesting one on the bench. Would prefer him on the bench to either Toure or Gerrard.