Allegri is leaving Juventus

Drz

Fair enough but to be honest i've always found it a bit bizarre how people can be entertained solely by the result of the game, if i thought that way i probably wouldn't even bother watching and just check for the result after it's finished.

Over the years there were always big games in the league or the cups where you are just relieved to win and the manner of the victory doesn't really matter. I always want United to win every game and i'm disappointed when we don't. But for the most part i just want to watch some brave, entertaining and attacking football win, lose or draw. If that leads to winning games, league titles and/or Cups like it more often than not did under Fergie then great i'd be delighted. To support a team you have to watch 50-60 games a season which can be up to 100 hours of your time.

If thats spent watching the sort of tumescent football that was served up under Moyes and for long stretches under Van Gaal & Mourinho without any hope of the style of play improving then its time wasted in my opinion. When the football has been bad you always hope it will get better. I could never just settle for watching boring football every game with no hope of it improving as long as we win, for me that would be empty and pointless.

If i had a choice between guaranteed entertaining football with the hope we could win a trophy or a guarantee we would win a trophy but only by playing tumescent defensive football. Then i'd pick the former every time.
I feel the same. The pragmatic approach in big games is fine, but I long to see my team dominate the opposition and play with flair rather than fear. At club level, I don't find winning trophies through "tumescent" football sustainable.
See Inter post Mourinho, Greece post their Euro victory, ourselves after the Europa League win, then look at the teams that are recognized as the best in history and not just a blip on the radar...

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Fair enough but to be honest i've always found it a bit bizarre how people can be entertained solely by the result of the game, if i thought that way i probably wouldn't even bother watching and just check for the result after it's finished.

Over the years there were always big games in the league or the cups where you are just relieved to win and the manner of the victory doesn't really matter. I always want United to win every game and i'm disappointed when we don't. But for the most part i just want to watch some brave, entertaining and attacking football win, lose or draw. If that leads to winning games, league titles and/or Cups like it more often than not did under Fergie then great i'd be delighted. To support a team you have to watch 50-60 games a season which can be up to 100 hours of your time.

If thats spent watching the sort of tumescent football that was served up under Moyes and for long stretches under Van Gaal & Mourinho without any hope of the style of play improving then its time wasted in my opinion. When the football has been bad you always hope it will get better. I could never just settle for watching boring football every game with no hope of it improving as long as we win, for me that would be empty and pointless.

If i had a choice between guaranteed entertaining football with the hope we could win a trophy or a guarantee we would win a trophy but only by playing tumescent defensive football. Then i'd pick the former every time.
Largely agree. The messi/Ronaldo generation who think discussions on players are best resolved by reference to Wikipedia probably won't get it.

Lots of people on here assume 13/14 was a nightmare for Liverpool fans because of how it ended and they couldn't be more wrong. It was one of our most memorable seasons ever. Every week we went out and playing swashbuckling attacking football and turning in performances we kinda felt we didn't have the right to be delivering. It was a fantastic season, because we were looking forward to every game and mostly got great entertainment in return on a weekly basis.

Defensive football can be exciting as a tactical contest. I was entertained by our CL games against Chelsea in 05 even though it was two intensely defensive teams in both fixtures. But you have to know how to turn it on, on a regular basis.

Sterling Archer

Yes I do. I follow a lot of other fan forums, people on Twitter etc and I swear to God there's not one fanbase that's happy with their coach and the way their team plays other than City and Liverpool. None.

Barcelona fans hate Valverde, Bayern fans have no hope with Kovac, Simeone was getting slaughterd since Juve overturned them last season. RM fans are bitching about Zidane, Spurs fans want Poch out, Juve fans wanted Allegri out, Chelsea fans were unhappy with Sarri even though he was 3rd and won EL.

1. Allegri never had a truly great team by European standards, that being a very good player at every position and little to no weaknesses. Last year Juve team comes close, but their midfield was God awful and his first Juve season is probably the closes but they had no depth beyond starting 11 and that team was eliminated in CL GS the year before he came.
2. Even if he did - no kidding? Shall we take Pep, Klopp, SAF, Mourinho etc. titles away because they had great teams? Great managers manage great teams. That's the way it's always been.
3. Allegri has done plenty other than win titles with Juve stronger than anyone. He promoted Sassuolo twice in two consecutive years, he finished top half with Cagliari and won coach of the year in front of Mourinho who won treble with Inter and then the next year won the title with Milan ahead of that same Inter and a very nice Napoli team. That Milan team had two WC players - Ibra and Silva. Then he took a Juve team that was a joke in European circles (knocked out by Galatasaray in GS year before) to the CL final, then lost 90% of that team and went to another final with completely different players and different tactics.

This was his team when he was sacked at Milan: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013–14_A.C._Milan_season#First_team_squad

That's a joke.
Good summary of Allegri and his accomplishment. Didn't realize he won manager of the season over Jose

AaronRedDevil

Everyone here is complaining about Allegri. If not him then who do you bloody pick? All I can think of is Poch or maybe Ancelotti.

I dont think Allegri would suit this young team we currently have.

We need to pick a manager that's plays a good brand of football, believes in developing players especially young ones and is good tactically. So somebody in the mould of Tuchel, Poch, Howe, Naglesmann.

starman

Everyone here is complaining about Allegri. If not him then who do you bloody pick? All I can think of is Poch or maybe Ancelotti.
I would go for Howe or Nagelsmann before turning towards Allegri. Personally think we should have stuck to the caretaker role for Ole and then gone for Howe, i know you will get a lot of people moaning, like now with Ole, but he is much better equipped than Ole imo, and has shown he is capable of building and sustaining something from almost nothing.

Jimmy_Bond

"We want our United back, appoint Allegri and give him loads of money to spend."

It's as if some people never learn.

Pagh Wraith

This was his team when he was sacked at Milan: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013–14_A.C._Milan_season#First_team_squad

That's a joke.
This is correct. And lest we forget, these are some of the players Milan lost in the summer of 2012: Nesta, Gattuso, Zambrotta, van Bommel, Inzaghi, Seedorf, Thiago Silva, Ibrahimovic, Cassano. I can't think of an comparable exodus in recent history.

Allegri is a fantastic manager, there is no doubt about that. And as others have mentioned he always seems to have a plan B, another ace up his sleeve (think of the match away vs Spurs). And personally I though Juve were a brilliant team to watch under him.

AlwaysRed66

Mourinho mark two. Where could it go wrong. Mind you, it could be worse, we could end up with Simeone. Then there would be meltdown.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We don't need some random big name, we need a manager who will build to play the right style of football. I'm fine with Ole for now even if there's a bit of teething problems, but realistically I doubt he's going to be winning us the title in a few years. But for the season I think we'll benefit having him in. We'll see long term, but we need managers who will commit to play football the way United needs to as future appointments. That means there shouldn't be drastic changes in style from manager to manager, though some changes are always inevitable.

Allegri, is more Mourinho then a manager like what United needs. Mourinho got 2nd in 17/18 and that was a miserable season. I don't want shite like that and most United fans are in the same boat, and any manager who plays a negative style of football isn't suited to the club. Simple as. Might not be obvious names, but the managers we go for once Ole's time is done should be someone who has proven they know how to build a side who plays good football over more than 1 freak season (among some other things). We'll see who fits the criteria at the time we need it. I don't give a feck about a manager having history in winning trophies through negative styles of play, always using older players, etc. Someone like Pochettino is highly rated and people see him as perfect, yet he's never won a single trophy.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Good summary of Allegri and his accomplishment. Didn't realize he won manager of the season over Jose
Iirc in 2009, and Mourinho threw a fit over it too :lol:

Was actually sacked by cagliari the following season, though mostly because they'd reached the objective early(avoid relegation) and he was talking with milan and planning his next season on another club and the team started losing a bunch of games. Cagliari's owner was Cellino, he of Leeds fame(and now brescia)

He's a great manager but his teams are soul crushing to watch. Every once in a while they play the odd great game, and journalist start asking him why can't the team always play like that and he answers that for entertainment there is the circus

He's Capello 2.0

Bwuk

Wenger is past it, but I don't think for all the money Emery has spent that Arsenal are any better than they were under him.

RooneyLegend

Allegri is really bad if he doesn't have a great team. Look what he did at Milan in his last season - absolute horror show. When Juve appointed him as their new manager a lot of Milan was were laughing at them because of how bad he was.
Which coach do you know thats great with mediocrity?

stevoc

Iirc in 2009, and Mourinho threw a fit over it too :lol:

Was actually sacked by cagliari the following season, though mostly because they'd reached the objective early(avoid relegation) and he was talking with milan and planning his next season on another club and the team started losing a bunch of games. Cagliari's owner was Cellino, he of Leeds fame(and now brescia)

He's a great manager but his teams are soul crushing to watch. Every once in a while they play the odd great game, and journalist start asking him why can't the team always play like that and he answers that for entertainment there is the circus

He's Capello 2.0
fecking hell if thats his attitude i hope he's never in the picture for the United job.

kode

Luis Enrique.... I know he is going through a tragedy but in 8 months from now

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I never said he was English. Please read what I wrote before spouting.
So Brexit FC hired a foreigner? So what if we sign a foreign player in Jan or next summer, does that mean you are spouting rubbish?

Brexit FC's manager who don't like foreigners also extended foreigner's contract. What a shame.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Wenger was my choice before Ole was appointed. The players would love him and if you're not challenging, he'll at least have them playing some football that is decent on the eye.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Wenger was my choice before Ole was appointed. The players would love him and if you're not challenging, he'll at least have them playing some football that is decent on the eye.
Arsenal played some terrible football in his later years