Allegri is leaving Juventus

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Sigh. I don't like talking about Herrera. He was in every match of Ole's winning start wasn't he? And then as soon as he was out injured we lost form entirely. And of course didn't replace him..
I don't want neither, but it looks like almost a sabotage of the only thing that was working out for this midfield.

I don't think any manager would want to work in this enviroment a this point, except the money.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
No we aren't. But we won't be watching amazing stuff under allegri either...
Obsession here about attacking football is unreal. As it is only important in football to play attractive football. Who has that what United fans want? Attacking, attractive fast game winning football? City, Liverpool, Dortmund and...maybe Barca?

For me it is attractive to see when squad looks strong on the pitch. When you have gameplan and when you are a team who don't allow other team to score or create something. When you set tempo of the match. For me it is attractive when you brake other teams with tempo, when you control game from first minute and when you win games. Some say it is defensive, some say it is pragmatic but if that wins you games and if you look good on the pitch, that is attractive for me.

And actually winning games, is the most attractive thing. So i would take Allegri this second. And he is free which is not irrelevant.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
This guy needs a good team to do well. Just look at his last season at Milan

el3mel

He won't succeed here. He's not a manager to build a team from scratch. Give him a good team and he will be great though.

The comparison between style and results needs to stop. Currently we have neither. :lol:

Crashoutcassius

Do people really want to abandon attacking for negative football after just a few months ? Hopefully when we eventually get a director of football he won't be a total flip flopper

stevoc

Of course
Ehm, yes. I find it bizarre to consider any other answer to the question.
Fair enough but to be honest i've always found it a bit bizarre how people can be entertained solely by the result of the game, if i thought that way i probably wouldn't even bother watching and just check for the result after it's finished.

Over the years there were always big games in the league or the cups where you are just relieved to win and the manner of the victory doesn't really matter. I always want United to win every game and i'm disappointed when we don't. But for the most part i just want to watch some brave, entertaining and attacking football win, lose or draw. If that leads to winning games, league titles and/or Cups like it more often than not did under Fergie then great i'd be delighted. To support a team you have to watch 50-60 games a season which can be up to 100 hours of your time.

If thats spent watching the sort of tumescent football that was served up under Moyes and for long stretches under Van Gaal & Mourinho without any hope of the style of play improving then its time wasted in my opinion. When the football has been bad you always hope it will get better. I could never just settle for watching boring football every game with no hope of it improving as long as we win, for me that would be empty and pointless.

If i had a choice between guaranteed entertaining football with the hope we could win a trophy or a guarantee we would win a trophy but only by playing tumescent defensive football. Then i'd pick the former every time.

Womp

idiot
Do people really want to abandon attacking for negative football after just a few months ? Hopefully when we eventually get a director of football he won't be a total flip flopper
What we are playing is not attacking football. We play Mourinho football, just with our players being situated higher on the pitch.

passing-wind

Please notify me when under Solskjaer we have played attacking football.

RooneyLegend

His teams play better football than most think. We pretty much parked the bus when we played them a few years ago.

GM K

Is there any team in world football at the moment that is winning silverware but is not entertaining?

ILC

His teams play better football than most think. We pretty much parked the bus when we played them a few years ago.
So much this. For the first 3 years Juventus played really good, balanced football. They knew when to attack, when to defend, when to speed it up, when to slow it down. Then they systematically destroyed the midfield selling Pogba and Vidal, letting Pirlo go and Marchisio tore his ACL. The only valid replacement for any one of them was Pjanić.

Even last year for the first half of season they were one of the best attacking teams in Europe by any metric - no. of passes, accuracy, possession, no. of shots total/on target and injuries tore them apart in second half.

Allegri isn't Klopp or Pep but he isn't Cappello either. He's a tactician and tailors the style to what he has.

Is there any team in world football at the moment that is winning silverware but is not entertaining?
Entertaining is subjective, but for me Barcelona, Bayern, Atletico.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I agree and i don't know why people keep saying that. The thing why i like Allegri ( i admit, i wasn't his fan few years ago) is that his team has plan a, b and c.
He can play on possession, he can play on counters and he can play defensive. And that is coach for us.
With him no chance that teams like Saints, Watford or Cardiff would dominate us. And for big games he would be smart enough and gas knowledge to find best tactics.

GM K

So much this. For the first 3 years Juventus played really good, balanced football. They knew when to attack, when to defend, when to speed it up, when to slow it down. Then they systematically destroyed the midfield selling Pogba and Vidal, letting Pirlo go and Marchisio tore his ACL. The only valid replacement for any one of them was Pjanić.

Even last year for the first half of season they were one of the best attacking teams in Europe by any metric - no. of passes, accuracy, possession, no. of shots total/on target and injuries tore them apart in second half.

Allegri isn't Klopp or Pep but he isn't Cappello either. He's a tactician and tailors the style to what he has.

Entertaining is subjective, but for me Barcelona, Bayern, Atletico.
Absolutely correct.

But do you mean Barcelona, Bayern and Atletico are winning silverware but not entertaining?

GM K

Sir Alex obviously spoilt us.

It is amazing how United fans are saying a manager like Allegri is not good enough for the club at this point in time. Let's wake up. We are not the same club we were under Fergie. It is claw-your-way-back-up time.

I remember some even saying Ronaldo is finished and not good enough for the club again before Juventus snapped him.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Still think Ole will quit by end of season and Allegri was the guy I wanted the moment Jose left. Right now, it's him or Nuno (if he was stupid enough to leave Wolves); Poch isn't going to leave Spurs anytime soon.

0161_UNITED

Fair enough but to be honest i've always found it a bit bizarre how people can be entertained solely by the result of the game, if i thought that way i probably wouldn't even bother watching and just check for the result after it's finished.

Over the years there were always big games in the league or the cups where you are just relieved to win and the manner of the victory doesn't really matter. I always want United to win every game and i'm disappointed when we don't. But for the most part i just want to watch some brave, entertaining and attacking football win, lose or draw. If that leads to winning games, league titles and/or Cups like it more often than not did under Fergie then great i'd be delighted. To support a team you have to watch 50-60 games a season which can be up to 100 hours of your time.

If thats spent watching the sort of tumescent football that was served up under Moyes and for long stretches under Van Gaal & Mourinho without any hope of the style of play improving then its time wasted in my opinion. When the football has been bad you always hope it will get better. I could never just settle for watching boring football every game with no hope of it improving as long as we win, for me that would be empty and pointless.

If i had a choice between guaranteed entertaining football with the hope we could win a trophy or a guarantee we would win a trophy but only by playing tumescent defensive football. Then i'd pick the former every time.
Fantastic post and I agree 100%.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Still think Ole will quit by end of season and Allegri was the guy I wanted the moment Jose left. Right now, it's him or Nuno (if he was stupid enough to leave Wolves); Poch isn't going to leave Spurs anytime soon.
If you thought Ole has no plan B, wait until you see Nuno.

JoaquinJoaquin

Sir Alex obviously spoilt us.

It is amazing how United fans are saying a manager like Allegri is not good enough for the club at this point in time. Let's wake up. We are not the same club we were under Fergie. It is claw-your-way-back-up time.

I remember some even saying Ronaldo is finished and not good enough for the club again before Juventus snapped him.
This. Not sure who people think we are going to get once the Ole situation gets ugly, when a) the Glazers are now cutting back on Transfer budgets (therefore preventing big chnages needed) and b) the squad is just not very good.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Allegri is really bad if he doesn't have a great team. Look what he did at Milan in his last season - absolute horror show. When Juve appointed him as their new manager a lot of Milan was were laughing at them because of how bad he was.

JoaquinJoaquin

Would rather give Jorge Jesus a try than Nuno tbh.

Sylar

I tend to agree. I went to games at OT under LVG and Jose and some of those times it just felt like a chore. Regardless of the result, it wasnt something I was looking forward to. Remember we played Villa at home, Think Rashford got the winner and we won 1-0. It was absolutely dreadful.

I think we all want to see our teams win matches and win trophies. And we will accept the ugly game here and there. But I also feel theres a bit of difference to me when I go to the game vs when im watching on TV / Online in that when im at the game, I want to be entertained too (and for entertained is going to try and win the game rather than going to try and not lose).

I may think different if we werent a 'big club' who couldnt match others. But we can if we really wanted to which is frustrating. But mostly I agree wit hyou.

CoffeeFootball

Supports
Milan
Give Allegri two years at United, with the budget you have he will have you challenging for the title in year two guaranteed.

The guy is a world class coach, and the myth about him playing negative football is pure nonsense. When he had good players, he played 'lovely on the eyes' football, when he had mediocre players he played to win, and win he has. I would have loved to have him back at Milan, instead we hired a coach who won feck all in his career, and we expect to claw our way out of the mess we are in with guys that have no experience.

You lot are in a similar situation, and your management would be well advised to hire people who know how to do the job, not bank on this club legend or the other, in the hopes that they turn gold.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I keep changing minds.

I believe we should give a season to Ole and see what he can do. Continuous cluelessness on the sidelines will get him sacked sooner rather than later.

This is still not his team. He signed 3 players and they are our best players in these 4 games. Pogba and DDG will leave and the board will have to act and sign proper players.

I don't expect anything from this side for at least 2 seasons now because the squad is a clusterfeck at the moment. But i do expect change in tactics and approach because all we do is counter attack in every game.

stevoc

I tend to agree. I went to games at OT under LVG and Jose and some of those times it just felt like a chore. Regardless of the result, it wasnt something I was looking forward to. Remember we played Villa at home, Think Rashford got the winner and we won 1-0. It was absolutely dreadful.

I think we all want to see our teams win matches and win trophies. And we will accept the ugly game here and there. But I also feel theres a bit of difference to me when I go to the game vs when im watching on TV / Online in that when im at the game, I want to be entertained too (and for entertained is going to try and win the game rather than going to try and not lose).

I may think different if we werent a 'big club' who couldnt match others. But we can if we really wanted to which is frustrating. But mostly I agree wit hyou.
Yeah definitely despite all these hypotheticals United have the resources to play attractive attacking football and win. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Football is tribalism. Not entertainment

stevoc

Football is tribalism. Not entertainment
If thats how you feel fair enough mate, the two are not mutually exclusive though.

As ever, though, Sir Bobby Charlton, who went on to fulfil the lost legacy of fallen colleagues by winning the European Cup in 1968, fashioned the perfect epitaph for a glorious team.

"I'll never forget what Sir Matt said to us one day when he pointed across to Trafford Park, which at the time was the largest industrial estate in Europe," he said, his voice cracking with emotion. "He told us: 'The people over there work hard all week long and it is your job to go out on the field and provide them with some entertainment'.

"And that is what we tried to do; we played for the team, for the club and for the country."

Skills

Snitch

I totally agree. But it's worth remembering a lot of the e-fans don't actually watch the games, so it's why they're more interested in winning which they can brag about on their Facebook/Instagram pages.

stevoc

I totally agree. But it's worth remembering a lot of the e-fans don't actually watch the games, so it's why they're more interested in winning which they can brag about on their Facebook/Instagram pages.
To be honest i do suspect that is a big part of it for a lot of fans these days and why so many are currently losing their shit. Personally i don't do ''banter'' i couldn't give a feck what friends/family who support other teams say about United i just laugh it off. Even during the Fergie years i never gloated about Uniteds success or lorded it over fans of other teams.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The United fanbase would kick Ole out in a instant if it meant Allegri coming onboard.
Knowing how reactive the ownership and board are its probably likely.

ILC

Absolutely correct.

But do you mean Barcelona, Bayern and Atletico are winning silverware but not entertaining?
Yes I do. I follow a lot of other fan forums, people on Twitter etc and I swear to God there's not one fanbase that's happy with their coach and the way their team plays other than City and Liverpool. None.

Barcelona fans hate Valverde, Bayern fans have no hope with Kovac, Simeone was getting slaughterd since Juve overturned them last season. RM fans are bitching about Zidane, Spurs fans want Poch out, Juve fans wanted Allegri out, Chelsea fans were unhappy with Sarri even though he was 3rd and won EL.

Allegri is really bad if he doesn't have a great team. Look what he did at Milan in his last season - absolute horror show. When Juve appointed him as their new manager a lot of Milan was were laughing at them because of how bad he was.
1. Allegri never had a truly great team by European standards, that being a very good player at every position and little to no weaknesses. Last year Juve team comes close, but their midfield was God awful and his first Juve season is probably the closes but they had no depth beyond starting 11 and that team was eliminated in CL GS the year before he came.
2. Even if he did - no kidding? Shall we take Pep, Klopp, SAF, Mourinho etc. titles away because they had great teams? Great managers manage great teams. That's the way it's always been.
3. Allegri has done plenty other than win titles with Juve stronger than anyone. He promoted Sassuolo twice in two consecutive years, he finished top half with Cagliari and won coach of the year in front of Mourinho who won treble with Inter and then the next year won the title with Milan ahead of that same Inter and a very nice Napoli team. That Milan team had two WC players - Ibra and Silva. Then he took a Juve team that was a joke in European circles (knocked out by Galatasaray in GS year before) to the CL final, then lost 90% of that team and went to another final with completely different players and different tactics.

This was his team when he was sacked at Milan: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013–14_A.C._Milan_season#First_team_squad

That's a joke.