Allegri is leaving Juventus

Suedesi

And considerably stronger and better than Barça's at the moment, who are pretty average apart from Messi and were lucky that Atlético and Real were far worse than they usually are this season.
I don't agree with this. Barca have been winning 8-9 La Ligas in the last 12 years, it's not due just to weak Madrid (R/A) teams this particular season. They came unstuck at Anfield, shit happens - otherwise they've been dominant in the strongest league in the world.

Suedesi

He's absolutely right, though. What you fail to understand is that the better doesn't win every single game against an inferior opponent. Liverpool right now are 65% favourites versus Spurs. That means over 100 games they will win 65 times. If the upcoming final is one of the other 35 cases you will presumably label them bottlers. One individual game is statistically irrelevant though. City played Spurs four times this season and won three times. Which is pretty close to what I expect the outcome over a large sample of simulated matches between these two sides to be, i.e. City winning 75% of them. Unfortuntely for them the one defeat put them out of the competition. That does not change the relative strengths of the two sides. City are clearly a better side than Tottenham even if the latter win the Champions League.

The other question is of course who you think is better than City, meaning who would come up on top over a large enough number of games to ensure variance isn't an issue. The only teams you could possibly defend as having a chance are Barcelona, Liverpool and Juventus. And I'm almost 100% certain City would beat all of them.
I'd consider Liverpool stronger than City. 1 point variance in a long season is absolutely nothing and on head-to-head games Klopp has the measure of Guardiola.

But the bias over the EPL here is staggering - omg they amassed 98 points, they're amazing. Well what about PSG, surely they had a feckup against United, but why aren't they in the conversation? Barca had a feckup at Anfield but otherwise a stellar season. Juve has been a little wobbly despite results and RM/Bayern went through transitory seasons.

We'll see again next season, but if I were a betting man I'd say City would not even make the CL final next year, let alone win it.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
In a league where the league winner is more or less a forgone conclusion before the season even starts, barring a spectacular collapse (and even that’s not enough as Bayern showed you can recover from basically an awful half season and win the league still), exactly what metric are these managers supposed to be judged by if not by the only competition where they aren’t already expected to win by default? How else do you properly assess their performance? That’s not to say Allegri has underperformed as two CL finals in the last 5 years is a decent return, but of course the CL is going to be a big factor in assessing managers in these leagues if the other competitions are so uncompetitive.

Edit: One of my Barcelona supporting friends summed this up pretty nicely when he was talking about why Valverde underperformed this season. In a season where Madrid collapsed, and Atletico fell away, having not actually been any serious competition for the league in many years, how are you supposed to look at a league title won more or less by default with the strongest team in the league, and say that this manager has done anything impressive, when he’s failed so spectacularly in the CL two years in a row.
I agree with you about the league being a foregone conclusion, but it's not a reasonable expectation of any team, player, or manager to deliver the Champions League. Not least because you need luck.

There are countless examples of this, but, for example, the first two English teams to win the Champions League, Man United in 1999 and Liverpool in 2005, were both extremely lucky in the final. And in the semi-finals, the only goal Liverpool scored may not have gone over the line, and United were 3-1 down against Juventus, and if they hadn't scored an injury time equaliser in the first-leg then they would have been dead.

But that wouldn't have made Ferguson a worse manager, it's just the nature of a knockout competition, in which one bad period of 45 minutes can kill you. The best coach, Guardiola, hasn't won the Champions League for some time. The best player, Messi, hasn't won the Champions League for some time. It's not easy to win because you're always playing the top teams in the world, and any mistakes and you're finished. It's just not reasonable to say to any manager that you have to win the Champions League, or else you've failed.

Siorac

I don't agree with this. Barca have been winning 8-9 La Ligas in the last 12 years, it's not due just to weak Madrid (R/A) teams this particular season. They came unstuck at Anfield, shit happens - otherwise they've been dominant in the strongest league in the world.
The last 12 years have little relevance to the discussion though. We were pretty fecking great 12 years ago, too. The current Barcelona team is not the same that won everything under Pep or even the one that won the Treble under Luis Enrique. It's an older, slower, lesser side.

Gasolin

I’ll persist with this theory and most likely make a fool of myself, but I only have one ITK guy and it’s a Juve lad who correctly told me about Ronaldo, from today he’s 90% sure of Pep to Juve due to City’s CL ban. He also says Koulibaly will be target number 1 and Pogba will be lured there and perhaps offer could include Dybala. Let’s see if he’s right again...
That would be delightful! But stop bothering United for Pogba, and they can keep Dybala if they want.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Hope we can get him to change his mind when Ole gets sacked in December.

Jib

Hope we can get him to change his mind when Ole gets sacked in December.
We already had Mourinho. Obviously, Allegri isn't a toxic person like Mourinho but his style is as boring and outdated ...

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We already had Mourinho. Obviously, Allegri isn't a toxic manager like Mourinho but his style is as boring and outdated ...
Exactly. They had by far he best squad in the league, and the football they played was so boring.

Idxomer

The only top manager available now, Woodward should start preparing to contact him soon.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Another defensive tumescent football manager. I am losing a bit of interest in football generally, this would hasten it.

Raw

Feck. No.

All we'd be doing is going backwards yet again due to a huge difference in playing style. Having to sell half our team and buy new ones over the next few windows to fully back the style of football, only for it to be boring to watch. No thanks. Sure we could win a few cups here and there, but we'd still be a long way away from City and Liverpool.

Snafu17

Yes, the solution to improving a team devoid of any attacking ideas is to bring in a manager who was heavily criticized for being devoid of any attacking ideas while managing a much better team full of offensive talent.

dev1l

Not just three games is it? 3 wins in 16 games. Is that good enough?

Watford will probably sack their manager.
New season ffs. With fans like you we end up with 10 managers in a season.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Tbf, if Woodward tells him the team must play an attacking style, Allegri would have them play an attacking style...just not sure how well he'd do it

Idxomer

I'm not advocating him coming as manager but he's basically the board's only choice when they realize that Ole isn't the man for the job.

BlahRules

What we need is an attacking manager that loves to attack. Not some defensive manager or a manager that counter attacks.

dev1l

Winning the Italian league with Juventus is no feat imo. Juventus are in a league of their own.
He also won with Milan tbf - although at the time the still had the Italian pm pulling the strings..

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Winning the Italian league with Juventus is no feat imo. Juventus are in a league of their own.
He also won with Milan tbf - although at the time the still had the Italian pm pulling the strings..
He won with Zlatan

And then had the enviable record of losing a league title with peak Zlatan

Got much better since then though

dev1l

He won with Zlatan

And then had the enviable record of losing a league title with peak Zlatan

Got much better since then though
Much better by winning Serie A with Juventus? It s like winning bundesliga with bayern

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It would be like making the same mistake again. Appoint any young manager who has excellent technical knowledge - Rose, Potter would be my choice

Hasenhuttl would also be an inspired choice.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Much better by winning Serie A with Juventus? It s like winning bundesliga with bayern
Yes, he was a much better manager at juventus than he was at milan. Nevermind that anybody could have done it. He also made 2 CL finals and played Bayern and Real Madrid even the other 2 seasons

Last year was the first one were he was disappointing

bondsname

I will commit suicide if we appoint Allegri. Sick and tired of defensive football.

Bojan11

People going on about defensive football. When have we played that? We can’t defend for our lives.

Halal Jalal

Watched a lot of Allegri's Juve while PP was there and didn't like his playstyle at all, honestly. There's a reason why he was sacked despite winning 4 (!) domestic doubles in a row.

That being said, I wouldn't hesitate a second to sack Ole and get Allegri when he's available. We are not in position to demand pretty football when we are at risk of missing out on CL again. This is Manchester f*cking United! It's absolutely ridiculous to have a PR puppet with no managerial or tactical knowledge like OGS in charge. Allegri's United wouldn't be pretty, but he would get the job done no doubt - CL qualification, and getting the best out of PP.

damageinc.

Supports
the unknown
Look how many italian coaches have been successful in the recent years in the english league: Ancelotti, Mancini, Conte, Sarri, Ranieri even Di Matteo…. tactically wise there's no comparasion, the italian school gives lessons to the epl.