(Almost) 10 years of transfers... which position have we spaffed the most £ on?

Gazza

The goal is to assess which position we have been best/worst at recruiting in, only counting players who were bought in the last 10 years - if a player was bought before 2010, they won't appear below even if they were sold during that period. Loan fees are included in the fees received. Of course, NOT buying a player also counts toward poor recruiting, and for players who are still at the club but likely to be sold in the future you'd have to estimate how much money we could bring in for them. Also, I categorized players as goalkeepers, full backs, center backs, midfielders, attacking midfielders, and strikers, you may prefer a different grouping. All the prices are in €million and sourced from www.transfermarket.com so I would take them with any measurement of salt you like.

I also didn't know where to put Ashley Young, who was signed as a winger but ended up playing about 7 years as a full back... I put him as a full back as ultimately his presence as a full-back impacted our recruitment in that area.

By Position, since 2010, we have signed the following players in each position:
(sorry I am rubbish at posting pictures, maybe someone can help?)

Note the typo: we didn’t sell Dalot for 2.5, that was meant to be the loan fee for Darmian that I forgot to remove - I’ll go back and edit this later, I think we recouped roughly 15mil for Darmian including loan fee

Observations

* The signings we have made for the wing positions can be summarized as cases if a) identifying the wrong type of player, tactics wise (Mata, Mkhitaryan), b) punts on young players that were always seen as gambles (James, Zaha, Nick Powell) and in a couple of cases c) questionable mentality/fit for the squad (Di Maria, Sanchez, Depay - who has worked on his attitude but admitted it wasn't the best during his time with us).

* The argument that we should spread our spending over several positions this summer to avoid putting all our eggs in one basket (re. Sancho) is not based on our past experience of doing so, as we have generally recruited from the middle/lower end of the market with mixed results. There doesn't seem to be any more likelihood that players signed on that end will become valued members of the squad than when spending (which is basically like saying we're similarly rubbish at buying from the low and the high end of the market, but at least with a high end purchase you only have to get rid of the one player if it doesn't work out). Also, we have sold on some of the players who cost record fees (Di Maria, Lukaku) and generally recouped our money, whereas the same is not always true of the "smart value signings" - we lost more on Schneiderlin's transfer than we did on Di Maria's, not including wages and agents' fees etc.

* Our CB position is surely the biggest failing. The most money spent, the most players still at the club, and yet very of few of them we can rely on or trust in a big game. Even the first choice pair we have now is a good one but not without its significant flaws.

* Did we really pay more for Fred than Fernandes? I guess transfermarket rounds up/estimates fees with add-on clauses etc?/

Last edited:

roonaldo78

Our recruitment is an absolute shambles :lol: :nervous:
Just looking at that list, only a handful of them can be considered as a success. Majority of them have either failed or the jury still out.

So much money wasted and on top of that are the high wages being paid.

Irrational.

Great post which just highlights our scattergun approach to transfers. It's ridiculous how we don't have any clear transfer strategy aka a DoF. We're still in the stone ages.

hungrywing

That's a pretty interesting table, IMO.

You can sort of see the average spending per year per position.

Also an average net spend of around 100m/year which the finance gurus on the caf have been pointing out.

I vaguely remember someone posting a thread trying to gauge SAF's transfer record in terms of success%, AKA breaking down all his transfers into 'Success' vs 'Dud'. Something like that might be worth examining in conjunction with OP to discuss if we've really dropped off by any significant percentage in terms of each transfer incident or if it's more of a 'targeting worse players' or even a bit of both.

Tyrion

Our recruitment is an absolute shambles :lol: :nervous:
It's the biggest reason we are where we are by far. Some fans moan about the Glazers not spending enough but they've spent plenty. The club is just rubbish at spending it. Based on the return we got over the post-SAF years, we could have doubled City's spend and I don't think we'd have gotten the same returns.

This season we seem to have improved though. James, AWB, Maguire, Ighalo and Bruno are all better than our average signings before and apparently our scouting system has been much improved (i.e. actually created).

Bad recruitment is why we've struggled and why Barca are struggling now. Good recruitment is why Liverpool are league champions and Bayern won the CL. Until we get a (good) DoF, I think we'll just bounce from a good run to a bad run.

AsonUnique

Multiple managers with different philosophies and holdovers on high wages from each of them. DoF that keeps a philosophy and recruits players regardless of the manager is exactly what we need. It's too obvious. It seems our youth setup does a better job being under one person and our transfer by committee is getting better but we still have a ways to go in recruitment.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
It's the biggest reason we are where we are by far. Some fans moan about the Glazers not spending enough but they've spent plenty. The club is just rubbish at spending it. Based on the return we got over the post-SAF years, we could have doubled City's spend and I don't think we'd have gotten the same returns.

This season we seem to have improved though. James, AWB, Maguire, Ighalo and Bruno are all better than our average signings before and apparently our scouting system has been much improved (i.e. actually created).

Bad recruitment is why we've struggled and why Barca are struggling now. Good recruitment is why Liverpool are league champions and Bayern won the CL. Until we get a (good) DoF, I think we'll just bounce from a good run to a bad run.
the glazers are so slow to act on getting a DOF they’d probably take twice as long to fire one. How do you know a dof is doing a good job? 5 years? It’s a very tricky position to get spot on and I do not trust Ed to find the right person. No way.

on our recruitment it’s just so so bad. So many failed punts which is all they were in hindsight and with no plan in mind. The scouting needs to shape up too if that’s the best they can come up with for a billion quid. If the glazers don’t care enough or think far enough ahead to make us successful again can’t they please just hire someone who does and who knows what they are at in the market and who’ll keep bringing through the youth. Sorted. Just give us the money and you take yours and go flog the brand. I worry they aren’t going to spend smart enough over the next few years to really get us back fighting for leagues no matter who is in charge.

cyril C

Without looking into your text, I would say RIGHT WING is a biggest hurt

Gazza

That happens when you don’t have a DOF and you hire 4 managers over a short period of time, all with their own idea but also a CEO with his.
Hard to disagree. Whatever you call that person, having someone with an eye on long term squad building at least means it’s only one person’s vision that can go wrong, as opposed to three we have had.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
So the only player we've made a profit on in that time are Hernandez and Buttner? Sort of sums it up really

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
In terms of net spend it would be a lot lower for wingers and strikers due to the sales of Di Maria and Lukaku. So, effectively, we would have utilised little funds on these areas.

CG1010

One interesting thing to consider is that the going rate for a established first XI player seems to have increased to 40-50 million in the last couple of years (for us anyway with the United tax). For example, see the fee for Matic, Fred, Bruno and AWB. A budget of 100 million seems extremely low if we are determined to buy only established players to fill up our squad.

Revan

Assumptionman
One interesting thing to consider is that the going rate for a established first XI player seems to have increased to 40-50 million in the last couple of years (for us anyway with the United tax). For example, see the fee for Matic, Fred, Bruno and AWB. A budget of 100 million seems extremely low if we are determined to buy only established players to fill up our squad.
There is no such thing as a United tax. We are simply shit at identifying players who cost cheaper.

ReallyUSA

The team spent fecking 22 on Dalot and he can't get a fecking shot? What the hell is going on?

cyril C

It will depend on WHERE do they come from. If from any existing EPL team 1st 11, or from another CL team starting 11, then the chance of <30m is very small. If going after a Europa team, might be cheaper, but obviously Haaland and a few don't. If outside of Europa regulars, then can be cheap.

I had several debate with other fans at another thread. What is the role of Scout, in identifying a 50m+ player? When every member of this forum are capable of writing a short paragraph on them.

CG1010

There is no such thing as a United tax. We are simply shit at identifying players who cost cheaper.
Yes we are shit at identifying cheaper players too. But United tax is also a thing since Woodword has been flaunting our richness and has been splurging excessively. Now every team looks to get addition $10-20 million out of us, knowing our desperation.

CG1010

It will depend on WHERE do they come from. If from any existing EPL team 1st 11, or from another CL team starting 11, then the chance of <30m is very small. If going after a Europa team, might be cheaper, but obviously Haaland and a few don't. If outside of Europa regulars, then can be cheap.

I had several debate with other fans at another thread. What is the role of Scout, in identifying a 50m+ player? When every member of this forum are capable of writing a short paragraph on them.
Yes, I only bumped that thread and that's where I am coming from too.. if our transfer budget is to remain fixed we need to get better at catching the players before they become established players, not after. For example couldn't we have got the likes of Maguire or AWB one step before. Would have costed us much less at that time.

In Rainbows

As we can clearly see, we're at least able to sell our more expensive attackers where as we get nothing from the failings from our depth pieces.

EwanI Ted

Did we really pay more for Fred than Fernandes? I guess transfermarket rounds up/estimates fees with add-on clauses etc?/
Yeah this is a problem when you structure fees with lots of add ons as we do. There's no way for these websites to know what the add ons truly were and therefore whether they have been triggered. That can increase a transfer fee by 50%, as was reported in the Bruno transfer.

LucasXXII

That's a pretty interesting table, IMO.

You can sort of see the average spending per year per position.

Also an average net spend of around 100m/year which the finance gurus on the caf have been pointing out.

I vaguely remember someone posting a thread trying to gauge SAF's transfer record in terms of success%, AKA breaking down all his transfers into 'Success' vs 'Dud'. Something like that might be worth examining in conjunction with OP to discuss if we've really dropped off by any significant percentage in terms of each transfer incident or if it's more of a 'targeting worse players' or even a bit of both.
All transfers of United can be seen here:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/manchester-united/alletransfers/verein/985

In SAF's last ten years with us, 2005/06 was a masterstroke in terms of transfer, but apart from that season it's been mostly 50/50.

Raw

If we do net spend per player in each position:

GK: €8.36m
FB: €24.30m
CB: €29.83m
MF: €43.28m
Wing: €16.02m
FW: €16.28m

It looks like midfield on average has the higher net spend. If we do just money spent:

GK: €8.36m
FB: €25.92m
CB: €32.11m
MF: €46.93m
Wing: €29.08m
FW: €32.70m

cyril C

Yes, I only bumped that thread and that's where I am coming from too.. if our transfer budget is to remain fixed we need to get better at catching the players before they become established players, not after. For example couldn't we have got the likes of Maguire or AWB one step before. Would have costed us much less at that time.
Look at this from another perspective. You (are forced to) pay top dollar because you are desperate. If our Academy can turn out a decent players in every position every 3 years, we don't need to go outside at all. Which, we all know is not possible. So the whole system depends on whether we can recruit 17-20 players who might make it. Take James as example, if he turns out to be Sancho or Gnarby, then we would have saved at least 60-80m. Take Martial / Depay as example, they still cost us a bundle, but if Martial mature to become a Benzema, then every pound is worthy.

Then question is, why are we so desperate, after Fergi retired?