Alonso or Carrick?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Similar level.

Has been done about million times too.

Crustanoid

I'm red tinted as they come, but Alonso is genuinely a world class player this season, whose effect on the Scousers cannot be underestimated. That said, Carrick is also pretty much world class now, although has done less on the international stage - mostly because of not being able to get past the likes of Gerrard / Lampard

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Carrick's slightly better.

And fits our team much better than Alonso would.

Alonso's been the better signing for them though, IMO, when taking price into account obviously.

Alex

As many have said this comparison has been done many times, not much in it really, both are top class CMs, I'd take Carrick, a Liverpool fan would take Alonso. Both great players, funny considering Rafa was trying to sell him in the summer

Widnes

Carrick

The way I look at it Alonso is a very good player but I wouldn't find a place for him in the united midfield when everyone is fit, I consider Carrick to be our 1st choice midfielder when everyone is fit.

Alex

I think they would be great together in a 4-4-2

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
Alonso's better at getting players sent off. Carrick's slightly better at football.

TheReligion

Abusive
Carrick

English aswell.

Wouldnt want to stoop to Liverpool's level and have a team full of foreigners

Perfect of a player from England who can do the same job, if not better, than his foreign counterpart

Name Changed

weso26
I think they are about equal. Carrick suits us more, Alonso suits Liverpool more. Ability wise they are practically the same in my opinion.

B Cantona

Desperate
david may alan shearer blahedy blah blah
Shearer has a title winners medal at least

Albeit he'd have a lot more if he'd come to United. But you makes your choice

Good player as Alonso may be, Rafa didn't want him, and Ranieri didn't want him. Fergie would probably rather lose his backside than Carrick

CR#7

what do you think mate this is a Manchester United forum but yes i'd take Carrick by a mile his balls are sublime!!

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
In terms of individual talent, they are roughly the same level. Alonso is a bit better offensively, Carrick is a bit better defensively.

In saying that, we would be significantly weakened if we did a straight swap (no way we'd be able to partner Alonso with Scholes, Giggs or Anderson), whereas Liverpool would probably lose a little in their first 11 but would gain more options (since Carrick would be more comfortable playing without Mascherano than Alonso is).

Vinay

Muppet in Training
I think they would be great together in a 4-4-2
That's a scary thought indeed for any opposing team to face a Carrick-Alonso combo in central midfield.

Complementary to some extent with Carrick's defensive soundness and Alonso's skill at long range shots.

But, imagine the range of passing from anywhere on this field this combo would allow... :drool:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Carrick's less of a cheating fanny than Alonso.

Other than that there's little between them. Both great passers, both better defensively than anyone gives them credit for, both subject to idiot managers who think Gareth Barry is a better player than them.

The Hairdryer

Carrick's less of a cheating fanny than Alonso.

Other than that there's little between them. Both great passers, both better defensively than anyone gives them credit for, both subject to idiot managers who think Gareth Barry is a better player than them.
I take it your refering to the Capello and not the SAF?