Amad Diallo - Atalanta winger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infra-red

I can’t believe we are signing not one but two extremely highly rated young wingers, yet still refusing to allow Daniel James to leave. Likewise we are signing a new left back, yet refusing to allow Brandon Williams to leave. That is something that makes no sense to me.
Williams is a RB (or will be). He's not very good, but neither is AWB, so he might get some games this season.

I assume that we're keeping James around because it would be embarrassing to sell him so soon.

Redlyn

I've been screaming for this sort of transfers for years. Pre Dortmund Sancho, Zaniolo etc are what we should look at and Amad Traore is that type of player. However 30m is big big money for an 18 year old
We are not selling Greenwood for that amount so It really isn't too much for an 18 year old. How much was 18 year old Rooney all those decades ago. It's all down to the potential not age. The issue here is that his potential is unknown to us so we are asking questions. But for now I give the benefit to the scouts that they know what they are doing with this one. But makes no sense to outright condemn the transfer based on age and price and nothing else.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Atalanta fans think it is a very good transfer for United. Higher potential than Kulusevski. Best Serie A primavera player by a light year

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I can’t believe we are signing not one but two extremely highly rated young wingers, yet still refusing to allow Daniel James to leave. Likewise we are signing a new left back, yet refusing to allow Brandon Williams to leave. That is something that makes no sense to me.
Preach brother preach!!

Makes no sense..

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Why would you want Brando to go? He is better than either Shaw or AWB on their showing so far this season. True he can't cross the ball, but no one at United can, seemingly

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I was really impressed by his attitude yesterday. He at least tried to take players on while our midfield and CBs gave up
I understand that Greenwood was raised to be a striker but this shit sort of happens. Scholes was meant to be a striker as well. He was a killer at youth level and he was great in covering for Cantona during the French man's suspension. Beckham is said to be more comfortable as CM rather then as a winger. Ronaldo is nowadays a striker. This things happen especially with top top players. They get a chance, they seize it with both hands and voila that position becomes theirs.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Williams is a RB (or will be). He's not very good, but neither is AWB, so he might get some games this season.

I assume that we're keeping James around because it would be embarrassing to sell him so soon.
You mean ‘should be’, regarding Williams. No matter how many times we all right that Williams is a right-back, in real life - he plays LB. When AWB wasn’t fit vs Palace, Fosu-Mensah played right back, not Williams. When we rotated our team against Brighton, Williams came in and played LB again. He’s a left back it seems. Whether he should be is a different matter. I would say I agree that he should be a right back, but I just don’t think he’s that good, so I’m not particularly driving any push to have him at RB either. He should have been shopped to Southampton.

I agree on James, that’s probably the reason. Or just as likely, our ‘reputation’ regarding developing young players.

Smores

I don’t. I’m reserving judgement because I don’t know much about the player. You are not reserving judgement, despite not knowing about the player.
I've not said a single thing about the quality of the player other than he's exciting. Commenting on the fee is not commenting on the player nor whether it's a good signing or not.

If it was 80 million I'm sure you'd find it odd, yet that still wouldn't mean it couldn't end up a good transfer.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We are not selling Greenwood for that amount so It really isn't too much for an 18 year old. How much was 18 year old Rooney all those decades ago. It's all down to the potential not age. The issue here is that his potential is unknown to us so we are asking questions. But for now I give the benefit to the scouts that they know what they are doing with this one. But makes no sense to outright condemn the transfer based on age and price and nothing else.
Greenwood plays for us mate while Rooney had far more first team experience when we signed him then Traore has now. I am not saying that we shouldn't sign him. However 30m is big big money especially in the Serie A were most Serie A presidents would probably let you have a night out with their daughter for a fiver. Traore might end up being suspended if he remains in Italy. So that should drive the price lower

https://x-sport.news/fake-father-for-the-traore-brothers-now-at-risk-of-disqualification/

Infra-red

Why would you want Brando to go? He is better than either Shaw or AWB on their showing so far this season. True he can't cross the ball, but no one at United can, seemingly
Nobody at United can head the ball either, so I suppose it doesn't matter than much.

I am vaguely hopefully that Telles swinging crosses in on to Cavani's head, might become a decent source of goals for us, though.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Nobody at United can head the ball either, so I suppose it doesn't matter than much.

I am vaguely hopefully that Telles swinging crosses in on to Cavani's head, might become a decent source of goals for us, though.
I simply can't make my mind up about Cavani.. never have be able to! He's either a genius or a complete waste of space... just have to hope he's closer to Zlatan than he is to Falcao

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
We can loan/sell Dan James out in January when Traore is due to arrive. I think many are saying the Uruguayan kid will need time to settle and may play U23 level for a bit.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
You can't just make up new Traores so it looks like you're actually signing someone.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
We can loan/sell Dan James out in January when Traore is due to arrive. I think many are saying the Uruguayan kid will need time to settle and may play U23 level for a bit.
will anyone be stupid enough to want James come January? I'd have bitten Leeds' arm off - no idea what Ole sees in him. that said, Ole's judgement is proving to be highly wonky to say the least

jackal&hyde

Having watched 4 minutes of highlights of him I've decided he is a generational talent.

Craig Ward

Yeah thats why we let Lingard stick around for so long too......dont wanna embarrass our selves do we......

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I've not said a single thing about the quality of the player other than he's exciting. Commenting on the fee is not commenting on the player nor whether it's a good signing or not.

If it was 80 million I'm sure you'd find it odd, yet that still wouldn't mean it couldn't end up a good transfer.
I get what you mean. I’m saying that the quality of the player determines the value of the fee. If the quality of the player is unknown, that’s too big/crucial a piece of the equation missing to determine a value for a player.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Because he’s not a good player.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
After watching the obligatory 3 and a half minute youtube video to make a valued judgement on him, he looks like he can pass and dribble. I'm on board with this transfer rumour.

Jadon who?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Yeah thats why we let Lingard stick around for so long too......dont wanna embarrass our selves do we......
At least Lingz (or whatever we are calling him now) has scored now and again. James hasn't scored in ages... even longer than me I think, and I'm almost a bloody pensioner ! :mad:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Having watched 4 minutes of highlights of him I've decided he is a generational talent.
Credit where it's due he does actually have a very impressive highlight reel, much better than most of those highlight videos. Not like it means anything though.

AltiUn

Because he’s not a good player.
Could probably get a decent fee for him too, he's on pretty low wages and we've already had interest from Southampton.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Credit where it's due he does actually have a very impressive highlight reel, much better than most of those highlight videos. Not like it means anything though.
can he actually cross a ball... occasionally to a guy wearing the same colour shirt?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
in which case there are 10-15 we can ship out!
Which is also correct, apologies if I gave you the impression that Williams is the only player in our squad I’d be happy to see leave.

rotherham_red

I hear you on James. Apparently it's a desire from James to stick it out and fight for his place. Commendable, really. Although, Leeds and Bielsa however, are desperate for him, maybe it'll be one to do when Traore comes in January?

I think Williams will be shifted to RB cover and Telles will be the LB competition for Shaw.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy

He's quick and dynamic with good technique and vision. Versatile due to his strength on either foot. Obvious talent but lacks end product so far.

I've never heard of him.

AltiUn

can he actually cross a ball... occasionally to a guy wearing the same colour shirt?
From the highlights he seems to be able to, I can't pretend to be an expert on him though, I've only watched about 5 minutes of footage on him.

Infra-red

I simply can't make my mind up about Cavani.. never have be able to! He's either a genius or a complete waste of space... just have to hope he's closer to Zlatan than he is to Falcao
Yes, I'm not sure, either. There was a short period, while he was at Napoli, when I thought he was maybe the best pure #9 in Europe. I have also seen him in the sort of form where he'd be unable to hit a barn door from 5 yards. Probably be a month or so before he's match fit and we can find out. Fingers crossed!

bsCallout

Big fan of this deal.

The likes of Henderson, Laird, Mengi, Greenwood, Traore all should get a look in and feature throughout the season.

I doubt Ole will be brave enough to feature Mengi or Laird though.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I hear you on James. Apparently it's a desire from James to stick it out and fight for his place. Commendable, really. Although, Leeds and Bielsa however, are desperate for him, maybe it'll be one to do when Traore comes in January?

I think Williams will be shifted to RB cover and Telles will be the LB competition for Shaw.
I think it’s more a desire from the club. Apparently we have knocked Leeds back repeatedly. As far as James is concerned, I think he’d have a far better chance of fighting for a place here if he goes to Leeds and plays for a year, rather than think he cam force his way past Rashford and Greenwood (plus two more now) on a few Carabao scraps.

As for Williams, Ole has been reluctant to play him RB, even this season and even in the absence of AWB. We’ve player two games out of our 4 this season without AWB and Williams hasn’t played RB in either.

Josep Dowling

How so? The only person who thought Dalot was 'that good' was Jose but he also bought Lindelhof and Bailly
My point in terms of minutes played. Paying over the odds for a player who’s had no first team minutes is a huge gamble. It’s one thing being good at youth level but first team football is completely different. €30m is too much for that level of potential.

The post I replied to mentioned Ronaldo. The big difference is he had one full season with Sporting and then destroyed our defence twice before we signed him.

Giggsyking

Absolutely stupid, paying 25m on a player going directly to the reserves while we are crying for first team players. This board should be hit with eggs and rotten tomatos.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Big fan of this deal.

The likes of Henderson, Laird, Mengi, Greenwood, Traore all should get a look in and feature throughout the season.

I doubt Ole will be brave enough to feature Mengi or Laird though.
He was brave enough to field Williams and Greenwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.