Amad Diallo | Sunderland Loan Watch

mav_9me

This is important to remember. At this age the development process is the most important factor. You’re still learning how to impose yourself on the game, exactly where you should be positioned and where you should be moving, learning about how to work in tandem with your teammates in an offensive sense by finding yourself in space and doing the inverse, and also in a defensive sense by ensuring you know how to keep to the team structure and making sure you’re not vacating areas at the wrong time that make your team vulnerable.

It’s incredibly competitive and you’re playing physical grizzled pros with a lot of experience and dedication. A lot of supporters view it through the prism of a video game, where if Player A is this talented if he goes to a certain league he will dominate regardless of age and context, and to not do so is proof he won’t be good enough. And it really doesn’t work like that, he’s still very young and he’s joined a brand new team with new teammates, in a league he’s never played in before. He needs time to learn his craft, and it’s a great sign that he’s showing progress over his spell there.

Harry Kane’s loan spells always get mentioned, and with good reason, he spent time in league 1 and the championship honing his craft and getting the experience he needed to develop. He didn’t go there and dominate, he got an education. There’s loads of examples like his.

I think this is fair too. Young players are exciting, and there are times when their development is best served being thrown in at the deep end (usually facilitated by their precocious physical qualities). Often times though they will have limitations to their game that the coaching staff will have identified, and their best course of action will be to get more minutes at a weaker standard of club where they can develop their individual game and get experience during a critical growth period.
Excellent point.

mav_9me

40m on a kid who's not even ready for Sunderland... well done
Nope. Very few had that big jump. You'll be showing something special by 21 if you're special. Very rare for player to jump magically from a nobody to top level in 2 years. Not playing for Sunderland under a mediocre coach.

You need to have that raw talent in the first place.

Beck Giggs and Scholes did their loan. But its already clear they're special and it's a matter of time. With amad we're still hoping he'd come good and transform to 2x the player he is. Big ask
You are having a mare.

Start by acknowledging that.

This is just internet.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This is important to remember. At this age the development process is the most important factor. You’re still learning how to impose yourself on the game, exactly where you should be positioned and where you should be moving, learning about how to work in tandem with your teammates in an offensive sense by finding yourself in space and doing the inverse, and also in a defensive sense by ensuring you know how to keep to the team structure and making sure you’re not vacating areas at the wrong time that make your team vulnerable.

It’s incredibly competitive and you’re playing physical grizzled pros with a lot of experience and dedication. A lot of supporters view it through the prism of a video game, where if Player A is this talented if he goes to a certain league he will dominate regardless of age and context, and to not do so is proof he won’t be good enough. And it really doesn’t work like that, he’s still very young and he’s joined a brand new team with new teammates, in a league he’s never played in before. He needs time to learn his craft, and it’s a great sign that he’s showing progress over his spell there.

Harry Kane’s loan spells always get mentioned, and with good reason, he spent time in league 1 and the championship honing his craft and getting the experience he needed to develop. He didn’t go there and dominate, he got an education. There’s loads of examples like his.

I think this is fair too. Young players are exciting, and there are times when their development is best served being thrown in at the deep end (usually facilitated by their precocious physical qualities). Often times though they will have limitations to their game that the coaching staff will have identified, and their best course of action will be to get more minutes at a weaker standard of club where they can develop their individual game and get experience during a critical growth period.
Very good post, point about video game is spot on.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Nope. Very few had that big jump. You'll be showing something special by 21 if you're special. Very rare for player to jump magically from a nobody to top level in 2 years. Not playing for Sunderland under a mediocre coach.

Beck Giggs and Scholes did their loan. But its already clear they're special and it's a matter of time. With amad we're still hoping he'd come good and transform to 2x the player he is. Big ask
I'm not a United fan but I'm pretty sure Giggs and Scholes never went out on loan, they went straight from the youth team into the first team.

It's weird how down you are on Amad, he seems to be progressing well. It seems that unless he's absolutely ripping up the league, he is deemed to be failing.

Lentwood

I do tend to agree with your point generally and I have made similar posts - some of the people on here do seem to believe that you just 'get better' with age....i.e. like your technique improves or something, which is not necessarily the case

I do feel, however, that Amad might be one of those rare cases were we can't really judge him until he's 22/23. Reason being, he's clearly got loads of technical ability and I feel it's just his physique/the mental side of the game which needs to be improved and that can be something that comes with games and time

Overall though, I'd say if I had to bet, the odds are against him being a top-level United player...but I think we give him a little bit more time

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I'm not a United fan but I'm pretty sure Giggs and Scholes never went out on loan, they went straight from the youth team into the first team.

It's weird how down you are on Amad, he seems to be progressing well. It seems that unless he's absolutely ripping up the league, he is deemed to be failing.
Just tired of people overhyping youth product. Ravel, macheda etc etc.

And if we're aiming for title challenge.. it doesnt look like amad is going near there or even thereabout.

He wont be on loan if he's anywhere near good enough.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Just tired of people overhyping youth product. Ravel, macheda etc etc.

And if we're aiming for title challenge.. it doesnt look like amad is going near there or even thereabout.

He wont be on loan if he's anywhere near good enough.
Give him a couple of seasons of regular first team mens football and then judge him. I don't know enough about him to judge properly. But everything I've read about him suggests he has the right mentality and willingness to learn and he certainly looks a superb technical footballer.

How he is managed will also be crucial.

Bojan Djordjic

Wasn't it £19m with add ons potentially taking it to circa £40m?

Even if it was £40m, all the more reason to be patient with him surely?
Remember hearing Laurie Whitwell in the Athletic explain that they always quoted the fully loaded figure because the add-ons were considered to be such low hanging fruit to attain.

Rauður Djöfull

Funny reading some of these comments about him not showing enough already at this age and if he was good enough he wouldn't be on loan and so on

I guess the same people are liking Dalot now who had to go on loan and took quite some time to cement his place and and progress to being worthy of playing for United

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
You are having a mare.

Start by acknowledging that.

This is just internet.
He's constantly on a whinge or dying for attention. Do you have to be special by 21? WTF is that all about? Its just a dumb statement. As if there are such certainties in life.

Kevin de Bruyne was at Genk at 21 then Chelsea and then went on loan at 22-23y.o.

Only went to City at 24-25y.o

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Give him a couple of seasons of regular first team mens football and then judge him. I don't know enough about him to judge properly. But everything I've read about him suggests he has the right mentality and willingness to learn and he certainly looks a superb technical footballer.

How he is managed will also be crucial.
Look. I have nothing personal with the boy. Good attitude and all that. Wasnt his fault he's not ready for a title challenging aspiring United. 100% not on him.

Saying he wont likely making it has nothing to do with not believing the boy or writing him off. The odds of a player like him (young, not ready, loaned all over the place, hoping he'd improve) is against him. Even Chelsea only managed a few addition worthy of first team squad amongst their list of loans afew years ago,. which is huge.

If ETH works well, we'd be looking for top 4 or top 3 challenge next season,.and if god forbid we got top 4 this season it'll be champions league next season. We wont have time and luxury to give time to hopeful punts.

It really is nothing personal. He wont make it. And to be considered making it he'd have to be at least good enough to push our 100M signing Anthony. Whats the odds of that?

Sure give him 2-3 years on loan. I still dont see him being on Anthony level. You either have it or you dont. There's not much playing for the likes of rangers or sunderland can do to improve you 2 or 3 folds your current abiltiy

Glad to be proven wrong.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He's constantly on a whinge or dying for attention. Do you have to be special by 21? WTF is that all about? Its just a dumb statement. As if there are such certainties in life.

Kevin de Bruyne was at Genk at 21 then Chelsea and then went on loan at 22-23y.o.

Only went to City at 24-25y.o
Saying a player dont look like making it is whinging and attention seeking?

Sure. All is rosy.. here's to our next de Bruyne

But anyway. I'm simply ignoring you. Good day

Glorio

Hannibal vs Amad :drool:

Imagine if they secretly rehearsed a sequence of play where they faced off which each other and both came out looking good.

I remember 2 of my mates in Uni doing exactly that for karate grading - they faced off with each other and both looked unbelievable. Turned out they'd rehearsed days without end to make it all look realistic and brilliant :lol::lol::lol:

Obviously harder to do with football as there are other players who'd get involved and spoil things!

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
The adaptation to adult level is more difficult for Amad. But the few times he played in the academy, he showed levels that Garnacho even hasn't. Complete dominance.

Garnacho is doing a great job and his skill set really suits adult football. He is fearless and hungry and full backs arent used to that, they are used to defensive wingers who's main purpose is tracking back and retaining possession.

Marwood

Saying a player dont look like making it is whinging and attention seeking?

Sure. All is rosy.. here's to our next de Bruyne

But anyway. I'm simply ignoring you. Good day
Saying he won't make it is no big deal. Few do.

It's your logic that's the issue.

TheReligion

Abusive
Amad needed regular men’s football. He was at that point when we signed him (infact he was meant to be going on loan in Serie A from memory?). Even Atalanta thought this.

Unfortunately I don’t think he was managed properly in his first season and the club somewhat let him down which means he’s behind schedule.

Much better to judge the player following his loan at Rangers and then at Sunderland. He’ll have so much more experience so bring back to United. Then we shall see.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Amad needed regular men’s football. He was at that point when we signed him (infact he was meant to be going on loan in Serie A from memory?). Even Atalanta thought this.

Unfortunately I don’t think he was managed properly in his first season and the club somewhat let him down which means he’s behind schedule.

Much better to judge the player following his loan at Rangers and then at Sunderland. He’ll have so much more experience so bring back to United. Then we shall see.
He was injured that's why he didn't go on loan. But was clearly too good for the academy but levels below what was required for the 1st team.

Idxomer

He was injured that's why he didn't go on loan. But was clearly too good for the academy but levels below what was required for the 1st team.
He stayed put at Atalanta for a few months not doing much when he was supposed to go to Parma if United didn't sign him.

The injury was last year which stopped him from going to Feyenoord. He has been unlucky and lost a year and a half of development mostly to circumstances out of his hand.

mav_9me

Amad almost scored, although may have been off.

Good cross from left wing on the counter, at far post Amad was coming in, GK saved his shot.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Showed a great turn of pace then,

Certainly not slow.

mav_9me

Amad on the edge of the box with tenacity and good feet, got out of a tough spot, nice pass for the goalscorer

Gordon S

So calm with the ball!! 3 players so close to him and he kept his cool and found a team mate with a good pass.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Showed good strength there.

CM

Seems like things are going well for Amad there at Sunderland now. Regular starter and quite a few goal contributions in the last few games, good to see.