Amad Diallo | Sunderland Loan Watch

Rex Banner

Fair point but important differences:

1. Dalot is a right back, Amad is an attacker. Also Dalot was bought as a senior player, Amad is from our academy and shouldn't require as much adaptation. Different standards.
2. Dalot's main problem was that he was mismanaged by Ole and wasn't getting proper coaching
3. For every Dalot there is examples of Phil Jones and Lingard and many others. Dalot is not a norm, Dalot is an exception. I think it is fair for us to expect that by 21 our academy products are able to start breaking into the main team or let go. Unless we want to be Everton.

The standard at United has to be the best or nothing. There is no other way to win trophies
We bought Dalot at 19 and Diallo at 18, hardly a huge difference.

Not every player is a world beater at age 20.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
An attacking midfielder is where I potentially see ten Hag using him next season, if at all.

It's clear that ten Hag likes, not only explosive players on the wing, but players who want to penetrate in behind.

I feel this is why Sancho has struggled because he likes to come to the ball. I feel Amad shares a similar style.

Obviously, this is something that can be worked on but it'll be interesting to see how he gets on as a number 10 today.
I 100% agree with your description of what Ten Hag wants at RW, but I actually think that Diallo would fit really well there too. Especially early for Sunderland, he stayed wide a lot. Problem is that the other Sunderland players aren't great at getting him the ball. And they also got some genuine competition for spots, especially Roberts doesn’t seem super keen on getting Diallo involved in the play.

But anyway. He is really good at keeping the ball within the team when he is pressured at the side line. Tremendously slick. Very good passer, both short and long range.

I’ve seen a most of his games this year. This wasn’t one of his best games, but he was good early in the first and late in the second. Perhaps failed to connect a few times with the final pass, but it was a pretty tight game.

Looking at the holes we have on the squad, I definitely think that going with Diallo as a back-up to Antony is a good bet. The kid without any doubt got some really unique treats. I think that he got every chance to become a special player. Perhaps it won’t be for us, but ETH will like so many things about his game. I would actually be surprised if he doesn’t make it.

macheda14

An attacking midfielder is where I potentially see ten Hag using him next season, if at all.

It's clear that ten Hag likes, not only explosive players on the wing, but players who want to penetrate in behind.

I feel this is why Sancho has struggled because he likes to come to the ball. I feel Amad shares a similar style.

Obviously, this is something that can be worked on but it'll be interesting to see how he gets on as a number 10 today.
neither Ziyech or Tadic are ‘explosive’ wingers.

Abraxas

He looks a really good footballer. It's just a case of figuring out what is best for his development. This season has been great for him. Is coming here and being an Antony understudy going to serve him well? I'm still not sure I see him getting enough football here yet at his current level, even though he could potentially play a couple of positions. Problem is Bruno is always available and it's going to be hard to oust Antony who was specifically the choice of the manager. 20 minutes and cup games isn't good enough.

The perfect scenario would probably be Sunderland get promoted and we can loan him back in the Premier League.

Teja

Almost want him to continue for one more year at a PL club like Broja etc. After renewing his contract of course.

I think someone like Fulham or Brentford could be good for him.

Mr PG

Amad is a no 10 in the real sense. His passes are so amazingly accurate and well weighted. Will be even better in a ball retention team like ours is becoming. There's no reason Phil Foden should be any better than him .

Black Alabaster

Performance vs Blackburn, showing improved focus and intensity, great development on this loan.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Definitely see him as having a higher ceiling as an advanced playmaker rather than a winged. Something like a David Silva progression in an ideal/max case scenario that we could hope for? Could be the replacement for Bruno.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Noticed two things about him in terms of improvements:

1) Getting stronger now. Rides off tackles or physical challenges much better than say even 2-3 months ago -- and certainly planets apart from his time at Rangers.
2) Gets more involved a lot more and even tracks back a lot more than he used to.

He still needs to strengthen his finishing.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Definitely see him as having a higher ceiling as an advanced playmaker rather than a winged. Something like a David Silva progression in an ideal/max case scenario that we could hope for? Could be the replacement for Bruno.
I still see Leicester Mahrez as the perfect blueprint for him.

Golden Nugget

Noticed two things about him in terms of improvements:

1) Getting stronger now. Rides off tackles or physical challenges much better than say even 2-3 months ago -- and certainly planets apart from his time at Rangers.
2) Gets more involved a lot more and even tracks back a lot more than he used to.

He still needs to strengthen his finishing.
This is really good to hear. One thing that was an issue to me in his pre season matches (where he was played up front) was how easily hewas pushed off the ball.

sglowrider

This is really good to hear. One thing that was an issue to me in his pre season matches (where he was played up front) was how easily hewas pushed off the ball.
Think Mowbray has got him to invest in the weight room.

His passing has always been exquisite even when he got here, at the reserves etc. And is wasted on the more agricultural team-mates whose first touch makes Lukaku look like Messi.

But he was physically bullied often at Rangers and would whinge about it or pulled out of a tackle a couple of times. (I see the same changes in Hannibal too -- he's stopped whinging about the more physical challenges nowadays.)

Amad just seems much more confident physically now as evident in his tracking back and going in for tackles himself.

Still needs another season on loan IMO.

Gordon S

Performance vs Blackburn, showing improved focus and intensity, great development on this loan.
Wow! His overall game has a long way to go yet but that left foot is made of velvet and reminds me of players like Griezmann and David Silva.

bosnian_red

I still see Leicester Mahrez as the perfect blueprint for him.
Think he'd need to develop a lot physically for that - mahrez isn't the fastest but he's much faster than Amad, along with taller/more wirey strength. David Silva and Amad pace wise are probably similar, and he'll have to learn to use his agility and movement to get open and avoid any physical confrontation... I just don't see him ever doing much on the wing here because of his lack of any physical attribute.

Mr PG

it was a mentality not even a strength issue. From the moment sunderland Manager told him he wanted him to be more aggressive and score more.....boy grew up overnight and started playing with determination.

Litch

Been a great loan move and I hope he gets his opportunity here. That said, not sure what position you’d play him in?

Mingus

Think he'd need to develop a lot physically for that - mahrez isn't the fastest but he's much faster than Amad, along with taller/more wirey strength. David Silva and Amad pace wise are probably similar, and he'll have to learn to use his agility and movement to get open and avoid any physical confrontation... I just don't see him ever doing much on the wing here because of his lack of any physical attribute.
I can't say that I agree with this.

Amad is very quick and has explosive acceleration and balance that allows him to get away from players easily. His ability to carry the ball at speed is exceptional.
Coupled with his passing range and vision, I would be very concerned for next season if I were Antony.

dutchred

Amad is very quick and has explosive acceleration and balance that allows him to get away from players easily. His ability to carry the ball at speed is exceptional.
Coupled with his passing range and vision, I would be very concerned for next season if I were Antony.
Personally (and I am an Ajax fan as well) I think he has more potential than Antony though long term I see him as a long term replacement for Bruno

bosnian_red

Very quick and explosive are not terms that I'd associate with Amad... He's agile but he's like Mata once he starts running.

He is good at running with the ball and turning on it, but on the wing he really lacks the pace needed. In the middle he could be great as a 3rd midfielder, dribbling through the lines with his technique and agility and you don't care about his lack of top speed.

Yakuza_devils

I have no idea how strong is the championship compared to EPL. But Amad is looking very good for Sunderland. Hope he can perform well in EPL next season.

Surely he can be better subs than Elanga? Hope he will have impact like Garnacho.

pogbasformerbarber

Actually, what to do with him shouldn't be a rocket science. He is 20, will be 21 in the summer. What to do with him is clear: if he has decent enough season on loan and good pre-season, he will come back and try to make it here. If he cannot then he willl be sold or let go. Can't be treated with kid gloves until the age of 27. And we better start making some money on these players who ain't good enough for us but decent otherwise. This is one of many big ways our footballing side needs to be revamped when a new owner comes in and fires the dummies running the club right now
Thats quite the leap
Almost want him to continue for one more year at a PL club like Broja etc. After renewing his contract of course.

I think someone like Fulham or Brentford could be good for him.
He would thrive at Fulham if they can keep their manager….would a fantastic loan

Mingus

Very quick and explosive are not terms that I'd associate with Amad... He's agile but he's like Mata once he starts running.

He is good at running with the ball and turning on it, but on the wing he really lacks the pace needed. In the middle he could be great as a 3rd midfielder, dribbling through the lines with his technique and agility and you don't care about his lack of top speed.
I'm not sure of any totally reliable metric out there to gauge a player's speed but speedsdb.com rate him at 4mph quicker than Mata and 1mph quicker than Mahrez. They rate him a tiny bit slower than Rashford but faster than Martial.

He rarely runs in a straight line like Elanga often does and tends to throw defenders with body feints and extremely quick feet.
I guess we see different things though...

Reactions: oates

Remember the geese

I think he's a lot quicker than you realise. Not Rashford levels of express pace, but pretty quick in his own right.

sglowrider

I'm not sure of any totally reliable metric out there to gauge a player's speed but speedsdb.com rate him at 4mph quicker than Mata and 1mph quicker than Mahrez. They rate him a tiny bit slower than Rashford but faster than Martial.

He rarely runs in a straight line like Elanga often does and tends to throw defenders with body feints and extremely quick feet.
I guess we see different things though...
Amad is one of those players who is faster with the ball in his feet than a straight-line runner. He also has that burst of sprinter's level speed in him but for whatever reason, he doesn't seem to utilise it often. Seen it only a couple of times while playing in the U23.

Bondi77

Looks great
We need to integrate him into the squad next season if he continues his trajectory.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Wow! His overall game has a long way to go yet but that left foot is made of velvet and reminds me of players like Griezmann and David Silva.
That is actually a very good comparison. I hope he can reach the levels Griezmann achieved.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble

I somewhat agree, but I do think that the level of speed a winger needs depends a lot on how the team plays. He doesn't have Robben type of speed. But he is definitely extremely quick with the ball. But on a team like City, the wingers don't that a ton of speed nor the ability to just leave a defense in the dust. Most of the time they face defenders pushed back with little room behind them.

Gordon S

This is him not having his best game… Scored a cracker and were close to scoring a few more
Love to watch him play!

SAF is the GOAT

From Sunderland's fan forum :

Will be gutted when he returns to Man Utd.

What an incredible player he is. He will go on to have a brilliant career at the top level.

He’s one of the best players to have played for us, relative to the league we’re in anyways. Championship is way too easy for him.
Going to be absolutely heartbreaking when his loan expires enjoy it while we can eh!
Fabulous player and the most technically gifted I’ve seen at Sunderland for a long time.
I’m genuinely concerned that Utd could recall him .
First signing when we are promoted
Let’s hope he stays in January as he has improved so much since his first game for us. Looks a real talent and first on team sheet at the moment for me
The only way he could be back here next season is if we were promoted and Man United would be keen for him to be playing PL football. Potentially another loan.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He’s an incredible talent. Was obvious from his first u21 games.

sglowrider

Do my eyes deceive me? Is this a... successful loan?
All the players who have gone on loan in the Championship started yesterday and consistently so. Laird, Fernandez, Hannibal and Amad.

Last edited: