Amazon Prime and Premier League Rights

I look forward to when you can just buy a streaming pass go all your teams games. Sports is just about the only thing I watch on Sky nowadays and they seem to have less and less united games

I look forward to when you can just buy a streaming pass go all your teams games. Sports is just about the only thing I watch on Sky nowadays and they seem to have less and less united games

I hate the restrictions of games and why everything isn't available. It's mind-blowing football rights in this country are still sold like its 1995. We're at least a decade behind with this 'Three matches a week and goal alerts to your mobile' archaic bollocks we have to put up with....(officially)

Doubt the smaller sides would be keen for this to happen, as it stands everyone gets a massive slice of the pie. United could make a lot more money setting up their own streaming platform, but it would kill the likes of forest and Bournemouth.

I hate the restrictions of games and why everything isn't available. It's mind-blowing football rights in this country are still sold like its 1995. We're at least a decade behind with this 'Three matches a week and goal alerts to your mobile' archaic bollocks we have to put up with....(officially)

The only good thing with the pandemic was being able to watch all premier league games, all staggered out too.
To go back to 3 or 4 a round has felt bizarre

I think Amazon/Apple/Google will go big next time around. Thing with their business is the Sports is a gateway to sell other services and products.

Doubt the smaller sides would be keen for this to happen, as it stands everyone gets a massive slice of the pie. United could make a lot more money setting up their own streaming platform, but it would kill the likes of forest and Bournemouth.

The Premier League should start it's own service, which then allows the money to be spread evenly, but the users pick and choose which games they watch and stream them live. It's such a simple concept, and surely very doable, I'm surprised it hasn't already happened.

They’d still make more money imo. if the argument was they wouldn’t make the same money and it would create an imbalance then fair enough but the league is talented enough to bring in more money for lower sides.

I was surprised to read how many subscribers Amazon Prime has. Not sure why but I was imagining it to be a couple of million but it's something like 13m in the UK

I was surprised to read how many subscribers Amazon Prime has. Not sure why but I was imagining it to be a couple of million but it's something like 13m in the UK
Most people have it for the delivery service I'd imagine, rather than the crap TV and music service.

The Premier League should start it's own service, which then allows the money to be spread evenly, but the users pick and choose which games they watch and stream them live. It's such a simple concept, and surely very doable, I'm surprised it hasn't already happened.
Bingo
This is exactly how it should (and probably will in the future) work

Bingo
This is exactly how it should (and probably will in the future) work
They wouldn't make as much money this way.

By spreading it over Sky, BT and Amazon Prime they get more than of it was one service in the UK.

They’d still make more money imo. if the argument was they wouldn’t make the same money and it would create an imbalance then fair enough but the league is talented enough to bring in more money for lower sides.
If you want to know what would happen look at Spain, for years Barca and RM had the rights to their games.

United, Liverpool and Arsenal are probably the 3 most popular teams worldwide, they could probably bring in 50x what the likes of Wolves, Forest etc could, one of the strengths of English football has always been the collective bargaining for TV rights

By spreading it over Sky, BT and Amazon Prime they get more than of it was one service in the UK.

I don't think that holds necessarily. In the past it was true as they could encourage traditional broadcasters to bid against each other with little to no competition. Now I think we're reaching the point where the content itself is worth more as a whole to an individual bidder than fragments of it are to several broadcasters.

Streaming services initially dipped their toes into sporting rights, now they've got a whole leg in. It won't be long before they're going to want exclusivity and they have the financal power to secure it

They don't have a choice anymore, the rights are not allowed to be held by one entity in the UK anymore

If you want to know what would happen look at Spain, for years Barca and RM had the rights to their games.

United, Liverpool and Arsenal are probably the 3 most popular teams worldwide, they could probably bring in 50x what the likes of Wolves, Forest etc could, one of the strengths of English football has always been the collective bargaining for TV rights
Yeah but they wouldn’t be getting a bigger slice of what they’re already getting but getting more of an even bigger pie. I’m also sure it’ll be evened out a bit since i can’t see how United v Wolves wouldn’t see Wolves receive a penny

Yeah but they wouldn’t be getting a bigger slice of what they’re already getting but getting more of an even bigger pie. I’m also sure it’ll be evened out a bit since i can’t see how United v Wolves wouldn’t see Wolves receive a penny
Of course not but the difference would be massive, prior to the changes made, in 2015, Barca and RM between them got 280 million Euros out of 755, they got 3x more than the next team Athletico who got 48 and the lowest team got 17, hardly surprising it was basically a 2 team league for much of the time

amazon could bid for exclusivity and it would be massive, plus I’m sure that some sort of additional payments based on how many people were watching could be organised too.
Would be win win and probably earn the premier league more than what they currently get.

Amazon are already testing out something where you pay to rent the latest movie though you already have Prime.

I wonder who is to stop them doing this in the next decade with football games? omething like you watch 2 United games for free every month with your Prime membership and you’ll have to pay more to watch say other games that month.

Ultimately I don’t think there is any way the consumer comes out on top.

Amazon are already testing out something where you pay to rent the latest movie though you already have Prime.

I wonder who is to stop them doing this in the next decade with football games? omething like you watch 2 United games for free every month with your Prime membership and you’ll have to pay more to watch say other games that month.

What? They've always done rentals.

Ah. So the betting sites have a clock which shows the clock we see when watching on telly? Why does it bother anyone if the game they’re watching is a few seconds behind? Always found it a strange complaint.

I had a genuine problem with this watching the World Cup final on a streaming service upstairs while my son and his friends watched on network Tv downstairs. I heard cheering for goals several seconds before I saw them. Assuming everyone in the house is using the same service I can’t see the issue?
The problem I have is people texting. It’s not even consistent on the same platform so you always run the risk of spoilers. Particularly if you like an in play flutter.

For Ligue 1 you pay 99€ per season or 13€ per month on top of your Prime (which increased recently from 50 to 70€). So they could easily do a 15/20£ per month for the added value of the PL. I think they have done some free tryouts on the first few matchdays.

The problem I have is people texting. It’s not even consistent on the same platform so you always run the risk of spoilers. Particularly if you like an in play flutter.

Can you not just turn your phone off for the length of a game?

I always watch on my laptop and had a spell where i'd be on facebook chatting to a pal, who would then ruin the goal I hadn't yet seen.
Easy answer - stop chatting to him during a game!

Can you not just turn your phone off for the length of a game?

I always watch on my laptop and had a spell where i'd be on facebook chatting to a pal, who would then ruin the goal I hadn't yet seen.
Easy answer - stop chatting to him during a game!
I can, but I shouldn’t have to. I text with friends during the football for a shared experience. My personal preference would be for Sky to have all the rights.

Let’s be honest, the reason why football on Prime is so appealing is that we all have the service and it’s so cheap. If they switched solely to Amazon, there’s no chance it stays at that price.

Per the BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/footbal...set:27406caf-ddbc-492d-b933-fec552a20d09#post

Tonight marks the start of Amazon's coverage of the 23-24 Premier League.

It is their fifth season of showing two rounds of matches - a midweek round before Christmas and also Boxing Day.

However, from the 2025-26 campaign, Amazon will no longer screen any games after opting out of the bidding for the five contracts it was confirmed by the Premier League will be worth domestic revenue of £6.7bn.

Instead, Sky will see a big increase in their coverage, with TNT retaining their current Saturday 12.30pm slot.

Streaming service DAZN failed to secure any games in a four-year deal that runs to 2029.

BBC retains its highlights package but will also be able to utilise more digital content on it's platforms, including this one.

But amazon will have some champions league games next season so 3 separate subscriptions will still be necessary for a lot of people (legally speaking)

I've got Prime but couldn't watch the Luton v Arsenal game last night :confused: Do you need an Amazon TV Firestick thingy to watch? Does anyone know?

I've got Prime but couldn't watch the Luton v Arsenal game last night :confused: Do you need an Amazon TV Firestick thingy to watch? Does anyone know?

Only available in the UK apparently.

Premier League matches are only available to Amazon.co.uk customers based in the UK (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland), the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. All other international locations are not eligible.

If that's where you are maybe check your not using a vpn or something else that might location block it.

Only available in the UK apparently.

Premier League matches are only available to Amazon.co.uk customers based in the UK (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland), the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. All other international locations are not eligible.

If that's where you are maybe check your not using a vpn or something else that might location block it.
Thanks. I am in the UK. I'll have another go tonight and if the telly doesn't work I'll use the laptop. Or I might not bother and get a good nights kip for a change after watching them stroll around the pitch.

Thanks. I am in the UK. I'll have another go tonight and if the telly doesn't work I'll use the laptop. Or I might not bother and get a good nights kip for a change after watching them stroll around the pitch.

Do you own a gaming console?

99p amazon prime trial available...couple of games tonight, one tomorrow then use it for the free delivery on Christmas stuff...

The ability to have Stadium FX, as they call it, over commentators is something Amazon don’t get enough credit for.

Sky Spirts coverage has actually regressed when you look at what I could get via the Red Button as a kid.

The ability to have Stadium FX, as they call it, over commentators is something Amazon don’t get enough credit for.

Sky Spirts coverage has actually regressed when you look at what I could get via the Red Button as a kid.
First thing I do when it starts. It's great.

fan zone (I think it was called) fan of each side commentating was a thing of beauty. Even if it was couple of ex players with the shackles off would be unreal.