Amazon to bid for Premier League rights

dileno

If we stop paying silly money for broadcasts a lot of the tv money will go away and we get back to more normal football instead of this madness. But it'll never happen.

It's all about spreading the games out for as many days as possible to maximize viewer count and profits. Grab your money and still don't show your team's game Saturday 3 PM because there are restrictions and they want you to go to the live game instead.

Miss the old days with Saturday 3 PM kickoff and maybe something on Sunday as well. And players not costing € 100M+ which is a lot of the tv money we pay.

automaticflare

"Leaving billions on the table" - as in they're not getting all the money they could. Which is the point you picked up on.

I think you misunderstood my original point.
They can't leave something on the table if it is not something they are in a position to sell
It's like me saying I'm leaving billions on the table because I can't sell the rights to it. It makes no sense.
It is not an asset that exists so it can't be left anywhere.

Jacko21

They can't leave something on the table if it is not something they are in a position to sell
It's like me saying I'm leaving billions on the table because I can't sell the rights to it. It makes no sense.
It is not an asset that exists so it can't be left anywhere.
What is the issue here?!

They could change the decision on the 3pm blackout tomorrow and sell the rights to those games to Sky/BT/Amazon.

It's their choice.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Didn't YouTube get the nfl rights

Don't know if Disney / sky will have the appetite to get into a pissing contest with YouTube (Google) and amazon
Well, what's the alternative? Darts and snooker don't pay the bills.

Robertd0803

Yeah, because it definitely gets cheaper every time a new player comes in.

Oh, no, my bad. You'll end up having to pay more than ever for Sky, BT and Amazon.

Hey, if we're lucky maybe Netflix or Facebook will get a package each too, and we can pay five companies and us five different techs to watch matches depending on which channel they're on! The future's great!
Yup. Already annoys the balls off me that I have to pay for Sky and BT and now Amazon as well. Yay for us football fans that want to watch our team without streaming illegally.

Also Sky raised their prices after the lost the Champions League coverage. Cant imagine what they will do if they lose the Premier League rights.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Well, what's the alternative? Darts and snooker don't pay the bills.
Well most if the bills come from the football in the first place.. . Just not sure I see Disney in that bidding war

I guess the alternative is focus on movies and other content... especially online as Disney / 20th century has around 40% of us box office

Loublaze

ATLien

Don't know if Disney / sky will have the appetite to get into a pissing contest with YouTube (Google) and amazon
Prime themselves have NFL rights. I do

Amazon themselves have rights to live stream 10 Thursday night NFL games in the states

Guy Incognito

How long can this bubble last?
We're about to find out.

I think the next logical step is, at some stage, removing the 3pm blackout and just showing all 380 Premier League matches on UK TV. Fans can pick which matches they want to see and pay for it separately. Maybe season tickets for each club.

I'd rather one company has all the rights than three, four. Competition has ruined things in that respect. The only reason BT got involved was because Sky got greedy and tried to take on the telecommunications industry. I'd imagine Amazon would want the live rights to put Sky and BT off the streaming sector and give them an advantage over Apple and Netflix.

Giggs86

Everything Amazon touches turns to gold.

I enjoy Amazon services in a convenient and affordable way every day.

This will be a good move.

Anustart89

Watching Liverpool v Everton on right now via satellite on Sky. I just started streaming it on BBC iPlayer and it's about 75 seconds behind. It will definitely be interesting to see if companies like Amazon can cut that lag down.
It's believed that Amazon have struck a partnership with Net Insight for their SYE technology which cuts the image delay down to about 5-10 seconds, similar to a TV feed.

stubie

Everything Amazon touches turns to gold.

I enjoy Amazon services in a convenient and affordable way every day.

This will be a good move.
Read somewhere last week that Jeff Bezos is now worth $100 billion!

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yes I am. It used to be buggy for me too but since I bought an Apple TV 4K it works like a charm. Picture quality is only slightly worse than Sky HD, it works without interruption and the content is just unbeatable for that price.

I am sure that Amazon with their cloud infrastructure could do it even better
DAZN is pretty amazing. It's not just PL - it's also Serie A, La Liga, Ligue 1, Russian Premier League, NFL, NBA and lots of other sports as well (all the major boxing fights, darts, etc). Basically the only thing you don't get live is Champions League and Bundesliga (Bundesliga is on delay a few hours later, and there's a extended highlights as well). For €9.99 per month it's a terrific product.

The only quibble is that for now streaming delivery is slightly behind TV, so following on twitter / match threads can be annoying.

Dave1812

The problem with Amazon winning the rights means you might have some games on sky some on BT and some on Amazon because there is 6 packages for the games and 1 broadcaster can not win all the packages which means instead of paying 2 subcriptions at the moment you may have to pay for 3 subcriptions to see all the matches which means the price going up again it would be best if just 1 broadcaster had the rights but that can't happen.

Oscie

Read an article that said Prime members spend on average twice as much per year on purchases through Amazon than non-Prime members. The good thing about someone like Google or Amazon potentially being in the market is that there's no real imperative to pass the cost of the rights directly onto the consumer. Instead they can easily afford to soak up the cost whilst using the rights to promote/enhance other areas of the business - in Amazon's case it's core business and Prime membership.

I think there's a case to make that traditional broadcasters could well be left behind in the next decade when it comes to sports rights. The NFL, MLB, UFC and WWE (not sport but worthy comparison in this context) seem to be already moving in that direction. Granted they're services that don't have a partner and are marketed directly by each organisation but it shows that a company like Amazon (Google etc) shouldn't have a problem making it work.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Read an article that said Prime members spend on average twice as much per year on purchases through Amazon than non-Prime members. The good thing about someone like Google or Amazon potentially being in the market is that there's no real imperative to pass the cost of the rights directly onto the consumer. Instead they can easily afford to soak up the cost whilst using the rights to promote/enhance other areas of the business - in Amazon's case it's core business and Prime membership.

I think there's a case to make that traditional broadcasters could well be left behind in the next decade when it comes to sports rights. The NFL, MLB, UFC and WWE (not sport but worthy comparison in this context) seem to be already moving in that direction. Granted they're services that don't have a partner and are marketed directly by each organisation but it shows that a company like Amazon (Google etc) shouldn't have a problem making it work.
I think they use a freemium model.

They will have a free match of the day available for streaming. Then a modest subscription package showing all 38 games of one team for fans. Then a hardcore package with all games available for a high fee.

Oscie

I think they use a freemium model.

They will have a free match of the day available for streaming. Then a modest subscription package showing all 38 games of one team for fans. Then a hardcore package with all games available for a high fee.
With the packages on offer they could offer X number of games for standard premium members, the £7.99 lot and that plus another X amount of games for 'Premium Plus' subscribers, £11.99 a month, or so. They might not want to tier it at all though.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Won't bring anything new. There will still be limits to how many games can be shown in Europe. We used to show every single PL game but the other European countries got pissed at our deal and so since the last purchase we can only show a fixed number of games per season. The US is different because of marketing reasons.

Amazon is basically competing with Disney now which isn't all that great for the consumer.