Amazon to bid for Premier League rights

TinFoil

Hope they get some games.

Sky's coverage of football is stuck in 2007. Change is needed.

Number1

Sky's coverage of football is stuck in 2007. Change is needed.
Disagree with that. Changes in analysis from both pundits and technology has been great from Sky last 2 years or so, Neville/Carragher/Henry have been great additions.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Technically unless you're in the ground nothing else is truly live. Satellite has a small delay and any decent streaming service is about 10-20 seconds behind the live feed you would get through Aerial or Dish.
You know what I meant. 10-20 seconds is fine, 1-2 minutes is not - and that’s what you get with Sky Go and BT player. Dodgy online streams are sometimes anywhere from 2-5 minutes.

If amazon were to have streams similar to Sky Go as their sole way of broadcasting then it’d be an absolute rip off.

deafepl

The 3pm blackout is in place primarily to protect the lower leagues no?

If there’s a tasty PL game on TV at 3pm people may decide to stay home and watch that than go see their local team on a freezing afternoon in December.

England is quite unique in Europe with the number of professional clubs / divisions as far as I know? That’s something worth protecting.

However, in this day and age it needs to be tested to see if attendances would actually drop. A single season trial perhaps.

Also, having a club TV season ticket would be great for fans but disasterous for the conpetitiveness of the PL. The big clubs with large fan bases would get immeasurably richer and the smaller ones a lot poorer. The PL would turn into La Liga with 2/3 teams dominating forever.

The sharing of the TV revenue among all clubs is one of the best things about the PL imo. Although did I read some of the bigger clubs have contested this but the rest of the PL clubs outvoted them?

I'm sure City, Chelsea and Spurs won't approve it but United will approve it since they have the largest fanbase the world, even in England, they'd enjoy a huge boom in revenue. I want it to happen :drool:

livs

Supports
Liverpool
You know what I meant. 10-20 seconds is fine, 1-2 minutes is not - and that’s what you get with Sky Go and BT player. Dodgy online streams are sometimes anywhere from 2-5 minutes.

If amazon were to have streams similar to Sky Go as their sole way of broadcasting then it’d be an absolute rip off.
I've not used Sky Go or BT Player so I'm stunned it's that bad. Plenty of free dodgy ones are better as well.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff

I wonder if the Premier League requires the companies broadcasting their product live to have it delivered to viewers within a certain time threshold. It wouldn't be unreasonable as once you hit 1 minute or more delay it's not live anymore. Not in the age of the Internet.

Guy Incognito

How are they going to broadcast matches? UK Internet isn't up to it, there isn't the infrastructure in place for high-speed internet as it is. Linear TV channels looks to be the only solution.

Posh Red

The 3pm blackout is in place primarily to protect the lower leagues no?

If there’s a tasty PL game on TV at 3pm people may decide to stay home and watch that than go see their local team on a freezing afternoon in December.

England is quite unique in Europe with the number of professional clubs / divisions as far as I know? That’s something worth protecting.

However, in this day and age it needs to be tested to see if attendances would actually drop. A single season trial perhaps.

Also, having a club TV season ticket would be great for fans but disasterous for the conpetitiveness of the PL. The big clubs with large fan bases would get immeasurably richer and the smaller ones a lot poorer. The PL would turn into La Liga with 2/3 teams dominating forever.

The sharing of the TV revenue among all clubs is one of the best things about the PL imo. Although did I read some of the bigger clubs have contested this but the rest of the PL clubs outvoted them?
I see your point, but is the financial doping that's going on now really any better? If anything I think some of the teams further down the table deserve to be a bit higher if they have a larger fan base. Size of fan base is a good measure of the real size of a club IMO.

saivet

My wifi is shite and streams are behind so can't say I'm keen on this. Much prefer watching on the tv.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
My wifi is shite and streams are behind so can't say I'm keen on this. Much prefer watching on the tv.
I have a smart tv and it is on there, so would show through my TV. Also have Roku sticks that can be plugged into TV. Amazon Prime is on them.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Nice! With none of those taxes they've been paying....:)

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I have used sky go. Its better than the illegal streams that keep getting stuck. I now stream sky through my ps3 using my fathers account. Its grand. A bit behind alright, but better than the illegal streams.

The illegal streams keep getting stuck and so on. You have to refresh the page every ten minutes. Cannot beat the tv really. Costs so much though.

C'est Moi Cantona

Can't the BBC just get it, will finally see some value for my licence fee.

Failing that just cut to the chase and let mutv show all the home United games, and charge the extra millions who would subscribe fortunes for the privilage of watching, thus bringing untold wealth to the club.

Anustart89

Why do people automatically jump to the conclusion that club season pass = inequal distribution to the clubs?

If Amazon buy all the rights for £1bn or whatever, what's to say that that sum can't be divided among the clubs similarly to how it is today? Amazon deciding that the best way to recoup their investment is by offering individual club deals for the consumer won't have any impact whatsoever on the distribution of the money between the Premier League clubs.

Yes, it might give the bigger clubs a bigger incentive to try to break out of the deal down the line if Amazon's figures are released on a per-club basis, but any such decision would need a 14 club majority in the PL to pass, so good luck.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I wonder if the Premier League requires the companies broadcasting their product live to have it delivered to viewers within a certain time threshold. It wouldn't be unreasonable as once you hit 1 minute or more delay it's not live anymore. Not in the age of the Internet.
That’d make sense, but I suppose if it’s intended to be live then they’d claim it’s live. Whether or not it is due to busy servers or rubbish local internet connection isn’t their fault, in their eyes.

Sky Go really is rubbish though. I’ve not used it in a while but last time I did it was about 1:40 minutes behind.

Heardy

the idea of having to pay 3 different subscriptions for PL games is bullshit.

I pay for sky and Amazon prime as it happens but it' bullshit go have games spread across so many platforms particularly of you live in the UK. annoying when fans overseas fans seem to be able to watch more United games than UK fans due to tv rights.

saivet

I have a smart tv and it is on there, so would show through my TV. Also have Roku sticks that can be plugged into TV. Amazon Prime is on them.
I have a smart tv too, but it's still all streamed via an internet connection, so the only problem solved is not having to use a hdmi cable.

I'm interested to see how Amazon stream the ATP tour. Not the same at all, but maybe I'll feel different seeing how they deliver one sport. I did try out Amazon video, but I thought it was pretty poor, from the content to the UI.

Toad

Placed an order through Prime on Tuesday, still hasn’t arrived.

Doesn’t make me very confident they are going to deliver the good here :rolleyes:

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Watching Liverpool v Everton on right now via satellite on Sky. I just started streaming it on BBC iPlayer and it's about 75 seconds behind. It will definitely be interesting to see if companies like Amazon can cut that lag down.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Are they any good? I mainly watch NBCSN, Fox Sports and ESPN.
Same here. 34 bucks for spanish,english,Italian, German and French leagues. CL and other cups also included.

Used to be inconsistent but its far better now.
Only downside - only 2 -3 games will be available at the same time. (Nbc golden pass not included)

Red_toad

how much does it cost you a month / year for all EPL matches?
i pay $59 a month for my mobile and its part of the package, was $59 a month before Optus secured the rights, so essentially its for free as I don't pay a bean more than is used to.

Bojan11

I still refuse to believe this. I think this is Scudamore leaking stuff to the press because SKY/BT have decided to work together.

::sonny::

Only a matter of time, the new media like Amazon, Facebook, Google, Netflix, Twitter have much more money than a classic tv

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Watching Liverpool v Everton on right now via satellite on Sky. I just started streaming it on BBC iPlayer and it's about 75 seconds behind. It will definitely be interesting to see if companies like Amazon can cut that lag down.
You’d think they’d have to.

I pay for all sport through Sky and appreciate being able to watch it ‘live’.

I was home at my parents for Christmas there who don’t have Sky so brought my PS4 back to use Sky Go. The quality is fine but it was infuriating seeing a text ping through on WhatsApp about a goal, before it actually occurred on my screen.

You end up having to put your phone on do not disturb and can’t really join in with texts from mates who are watching it live.

I wonder how good YouTube are at this. And other live streaming websites like Twitch. You’d have to think it’s possible as those websites are fully interactive during live streams and wouldn’t work with the delays we see in sports broadcasting through websites and apps.

haram

Having to pay for another provider is not what anyone wants... who's gonna pay for this shit.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
I want to pay one provider for all United games.

Here in Canada we have to pay for Sportsnet and TSN for the games. It costs a lot! I wish there was 1 online provider.

ti vu

Not reading anything yet, so my question may be answered. Please excuse me if that's the case.

Who would Amazon plan to do the commentary for the games? If there is no commentary option I am all for it.

Acole9

Outstanding
I don't really understand why everyone thinks this is such a good thing, it's not. It'll only create more of a monopoly, not only that but do you really want to fork out for yet another load of channels? I certainly don't. The hipsters can moan all they want but Sky Sports is the best for football coverage, always has been. BBC isn't bad but Itv and Bt Sport? Do me a favour.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
In news that will surprise nobody, Amazon are almost certain to rival Sky and BT for the right to show Premier League games.

Seems highly likely that they'll succeed and will therefore show between 20 and 32 league matches, if not more.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/01/04/amazon-holds-talks-premier-league-uk-tv-rights/

Simultaneous streams aren't that far away for UK audiences. Pick a fixture, stream it - legally.
Absolutely - we've been crying out for this for ages. The PL needs to catch up. Don't Bundesliga have some sort of subscription deal where you can watch all your team's fixtures on an app?

Jacko21

I don't really understand why everyone thinks this is such a good thing, it's not. It'll only create more of a monopoly, not only that but do you really want to fork out for yet another load of channels? I certainly don't. The hipsters can moan all they want but Sky Sports is the best for football coverage, always has been. BBC isn't bad but Itv and Bt Sport? Do me a favour.
It's Sky's monopoly of the Premier League that became the problem in the first place - it's why BT, for their faults, have forced Sky into rethinking their own offering - a win for consumers. Because Sky were in danger of becoming complacent where coverage was concerned.

Sky has the best coverage because it's all most have ever known and they've perfected their offering over the course of two decades. Most of what Amazon touches turns to gold and I'd hazard a guess that in time they'll come to redefine the way we watch football in this country.

stevoc

Should be possible to just buy a "Manchester United season pass" where you get all the PL matches for the whole season. I have zero interest (for most of the time) to watch the other teams.
Yeah you would think a team season pass would be the obvious package to sell to football fans. But these broadcasting companies seem to think all football fans are neutrals who only want a limited offering of games with random teams.

Jacko21

Not reading anything yet, so my question may be answered. Please excuse me if that's the case.

Who would Amazon plan to do the commentary for the games? If there is no commentary option I am all for it.
They'd probably tap into Premier League TV or sign licensing deals with international broadcasters. I don't suspect Amazon will want to get their hands dirty with the logistics of broadcasting a league game - but rather facilitate the streaming of it.

Robbo*

I do find it incredible that a season ticket holder who subscribes to MUTV is still unable to watch games like last night v Derby on TV if they can't make it to OT.

Oscie

It could be good news for the consumer to have companies like Google and Amazon enter the market for sporting rights. These organisations are so large they could easily soak up the cost of bidding without making consumers pay through the nose all in order to promote the wider product.

What's £10bn over 3 years for a comapny that turns over £80bn a year with the upside of the investment potentially meaning millions more subscribers to its other services?

Far better economics for the consumer than a broadcaster that has little choice but to pass on the cost to consumers, which is currently what we have now.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
Surely Amazon having the rights will push even more people into watching streams?

Needing to have 3 subscriptions to watch Premier League Football would be absolutely insane.

However, i do think some change is needed to stop some of the "features" Sky, BT and the BBC have introduced.

The inability the show the actual ******* game and instead show me pictures of the 4th official or some celebrity in the crowd is infuriating. They have even started showing replays over live goal kicks.

Commentary has got a lot worse. Most of them just talk for the sake of it. Give me 90's Tyler/Gray back any day.

If Amazon can offer a 90 minute match with 5 camera angles, no commentary and live loud crowd noise, then i would be very happy indeed.

Acole9

Outstanding
I do find it incredible that a season ticket holder who subscribes to MUTV is still unable to watch games like last night v Derby on TV if they can't make it to OT.
Because TV companies pay a hell of a lot of money for coverage. BBC and BT pick and choose the matches they want but they'll still want to show the highlights too.